Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Munster Team Talk Thread - Beirne After Reading

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭Dog Botherer

i know teams always target the 10 but for some reason it seemed more egregious today. maybe Quins are just as crap at cheap shots as they are at rugby.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,134 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

i know teams always target the 10 but for some reason it seemed more egregious today. maybe Quins are just as crap at cheap shots as they are at rugby.

I didn't see many shots on JJ but the minute Healy came on they went for him. Casey taken out in the air too, but not Murray.

Caranica wrote: »
    I didn't see many shots on JJ but the minute Healy came on they went for him. Casey taken out in the air too, but not Murray.

maybe preordained tactic to target the young lads? couldn’t have gone much worse than it did, if so. not a great tactic in the modern game.

maybe preordained tactic to target the young lads? couldn’t have gone much worse than it did, if so. not a great tactic in the modern game.

From the team that brought you bloodgate... Not exactly surprising. Will be interesting to see if Marler is cited

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

From the team that brought you bloodgate... Not exactly surprising. Will be interesting to see if Marler is cited
    Talking about bloodgate. :rolleyes:
    Zero relevance to this.

Dont see too much wrong. They targeted him which says a lot about how good he can be. They did what Munster and many other sides world over have done. Targeted physically a young 10 who has been doing well. Went over top in parts but not that much that we'll see citings.

• Advertisement

i don’t think people mind the targeting, that’s par for the course. it’s more the reckless and incompetent nature of the targeting that resulted in a yellow card and three penalties that killed any chance of Quins getting anything from a game they could well have won.

I don’t think there’ll be bans but wouldn’t be surprised if Marler in particular received a warning of some kind, given his previous frequent indiscretions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,131 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

Ah, the tackle in the air on Casey was completely harmless, nothing in that, just bad timing.

The late hits on Healy were a different matter, but I don't think it was a planned tactic, just two idiots thinking they could get an edge. It worked out about as well as everything else Quins did.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

Talking about bloodgate. :rolleyes:
    Zero relevance to this.

Dont see too much wrong. They targeted him which says a lot about how good he can be. They did what Munster and many other sides world over have done. Targeted physically a young 10 who has been doing well. Went over top in parts but not that much that we'll see citings.

Interested if you thought the Marler one could've been a yellow also, TLS? It seemed to have far less force than the Dombrandt one, but was much later. (I thought yellow on first instance, but would like to see it again).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,474 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

aloooof wrote: »
    Interested if you thought the Marler one could've been a yellow also, TLS? It seemed to have far less force than the Dombrandt one, but was much later. (I thought yellow on first instance, but would like to see it again).
    Marler's late hit seems to be the one that caused the injury to Ben Healy (hopefully its not too bad)

• Advertisement

Thanks for that, was able to get a screenshot of cardboard me. I saw it live but was too slow to react to get a pic!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭Tomtom364

Adam Hastings has turned down a contract from Glasgow infavour of moving to Gloucester.

All the more important to get Healy signed up soon!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Tomtom364 wrote: »
    Adam Hastings has turned down a contract from Glasgow infavour of moving to Gloucester.

All the more important to get Healy signed up soon!

Healy would be mad to go to Glasgow, they're going nowhere.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Perfect storm for Healy.
    Glasgow will offer a wheelbarrow of cash, Munster will offer two.

Glasgow are a mess, Wilson is way over his head and Townsend likewise at International level.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,339 ✭✭✭✭phog

Healy would be mad to go to Glasgow, they're going nowhere.

I can't see him go anywhere but what will Munster win that Glasgow can't?

In terms of silverware I'd assume the biggest carrot for Healy is his opportunity to play for Ireland where we might win a 6Ns.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

phog wrote: »

In terms of silverware I'd assume the biggest carrot for Healy is his opportunity to play for Ireland where we might win a 6Ns.

I'd say Munster are far more likely to win a Pro 12/14/16 than Glasgow over the next while, tbh. And I'd expect them to perform much better in Europe also.

Add Ireland to the mix also, and I think it's unlikely he'll go anywhere.

phog wrote: »

Munster have been competitive in both tournaments. Glasgow have not been and looking at their departures in recent seasons it's unlikely to change.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭Tomtom364

If Healy feels he is good enough to be the leading Outhalf for Munster and JJ continues to be picked ahead of him in the big games its very possible he could take a chance to move if Glasgow are promising to build a team around him.

And that's ignoring the Joey Carbery factor if he returns and finds form

Regardless, what's the downside for Munster to get him signed up? Surely they arnt still contemplating weither to sign him from academy to senior or not?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,106 ✭✭✭✭ Gary Moldy Memory

For Healy surely he'd just be thinking of where he's going to get to play the most. But if he leaves he'll be out of the Ireland picture until he comes back and there's going to be a scrap for the position once we move on from Sexton.

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭tmc1963

For Healy surely he'd just be thinking of where he's going to get to play the most. But if he leaves he'll be out of the Ireland picture until he comes back and there's going to be a scrap for the position once we move on from Sexton.

He'd be out of the Ireland picture for good if he gets capped by Scotland soon after moving to Glasgow!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,132 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

If Healy feels he is good enough to be the leading Outhalf for Munster and JJ continues to be picked ahead of him in the big games its very possible he could take a chance to move if Glasgow are promising to build a team around him.

And that's ignoring the Joey Carbery factor if he returns and finds form

Regardless, what's the downside for Munster to get him signed up? Surely they arnt still contemplating weither to sign him from academy to senior or not?

The only reason he's not already signed up is the IRFUs stance on contract negotiations not starting until January.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,176 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

If Healy leaves he'll never be in the Ireland picture gain. He qualifies for Scotland through his mother and will be straight into their set up.

Any offer would be on the basis of an immediate capture cap for the Scotland summer tests.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,106 ✭✭✭✭ Gary Moldy Memory

Clegg wrote: »
    If Healy leaves he'll never be in the Ireland picture gain. He qualifies for Scotland through his mother and will be straight into their set up.
    Any offer would be on the basis of an immediate capture cap for the Scotland summer tests.

Ah didn't know that. Would be a big loss so. I saw Murray Kinsella on Twitter saying they'd made him a good offer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,339 ✭✭✭✭phog

Munster are NOT delaying his contract, they are awaiting approval from the IRFU

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,132 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

Ah didn't know that. Would be a big loss so. I saw Murray Kinsella on Twitter saying they'd made him a good offer.
    Well they apparently offered a 2 year contract and a 'major increase' on his academy contract. Simply getting bumped onto a professional IRFU contract will be a major increase on an academy contract. I've no doubt that they can match or improve on any Glasgow offer easily without breaking the bank.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,131 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

There's nothing in this Healy talk, he's about as likely to be playing for Glasgow next season as I am.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 222 ✭✭VANG1

He needs to be kept at all costs. Is there a benefactor or large corporation that could sponsor him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,308 ✭✭✭✭mahoney_j

Just offer them jj instead ...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

VANG1 wrote: »
    He needs to be kept at all costs. Is there a benefactor or large corporation that could sponsor him.
    He would get a substantial increase on his current academy deal by going onto a senior contract and a benefactor isnt needed. Theyve came in for the biggest of deals ie Sexton etc and thats not needed here.
    mahoney_j wrote: »
    Just offer them jj instead ...
    Way too harsh on JJ...
    Thats just not needed. is it...

Advertisement