Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Munster Team Talk Thread - Beirne After Reading

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,308 ✭✭✭✭mahoney_j

He would get a substantial increase on his current academy deal by going onto a senior contract and a benefactor isnt needed. Theyve came in for the biggest of deals ie Sexton etc and thats not needed here.

Way too harsh on JJ...
    Thats just not needed. is it...

No offence to him but it’s time a spade was called a spade and not a shovel here jj has had years and plenty of chances .he can’t be relied on and is far too inconsistent id be happy to keep him in squad but healy is the future and playing far better week in/out .if carbery comes back and shows form and injury free jj should go elsewhere if he wants regular game time .maby harsh but not good enough ..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

mahoney_j wrote: »
    No offence to him but it’s time a spade was called a spade and not a shovel here jj has had years and plenty of chances .he can’t be relied on and is far too inconsistent id be happy to keep him in squad but healy is the future and playing far better week in/out. If carbery comes back and shows form and injury free jj should go elsewhere if he wants regular game time. maby harsh but not good enough ..
    Its still too harsh. JJ isnt going to be a first choice option but fine for squad option. At this stage we have no idea about carbury and if he can come back into any form.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,570 ✭✭✭bennyl10

Its still too harsh. JJ isnt going to be a first choice option but fine for squad option. At this stage we have no idea about carbury and if he can come back into any form.

Not anymore it’s not

If it’s a choice, between them it’s an easy decision based on everything we’ve seen.

There’s been a lot worse said about other flys on this forum

bennyl10 wrote: »
    Not anymore it’s not

If it’s a choice, between them it’s an easy decision based on everything we’ve seen.

There’s been a lot worse said about other flys on this forum
    Why would i have to be a choice between them?
    More than enough room for both

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,134 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

We also have Jake Flannery and Jack Crowley in the academy. Two excellent prospects.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,790 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

Munster need to consider what to do with JJH if Carbery returns say next season. Maybe use him more at centre (after DDA leaves) or full back.

JJH isn't good enough to take Munster to European Cup win at 10 IMO. Healy has that potential if Munster can get a few other key positions right (tight 5 mainly) but the big issue they have is Stander POM Murray Earls age profile. Some of them may fancy heading off to France or Japan at some stage soon.

Burkie1203 wrote: »
    Munster need to consider what to do with JJH if Carbery returns say next season. Maybe use him more at centre (after DDA leaves) or full back.

JJH isn't good enough to take Munster to European Cup win at 10 IMO. Healy has that potential if Munster can get a few other key positions right (tight 5 mainly) but the big issue they have is Stander POM Murray Earls age profile. Some of them may fancy heading off to France or Japan at some stage soon.
    But JJ isnt going to be first choice or is needed as the person who will be 10 to bring Munster through in Europe to finals/win. Tight 5 is ok if the academy players like Ahern, O Connor, Barron etc come through.
    Earls is 33 cant see him going anywhere at this stage. Would be surprised if POM and Stander left to go anywhere as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,790 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

But JJ isnt going to be first choice or is needed as the person who will be 10 to bring Munster through in Europe to finals/win. Tight 5 is ok if the academy players like Ahern, O Connor, Barron etc come through.
    Earls is 33 cant see him going anywhere at this stage. Would be surprised if POM and Stander left to go anywhere as well.

In next few months things could get tricky if 6n is in empty stadiums again.

Expect a few high profile departures next summer across the provinces. Think the tight 5 development might coincide with a few departures or retirements.

Coombes Hodnett Wycherly (x2) Barron Salanoa Knox etc need to overlap those I mentioned.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,366 ✭✭✭yerrahbah

Healy misses the Clermont game with a shoulder injury...

• Registered Users Posts: 11,809 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

yerrahbah wrote: »

Feck sake. No wonder JVG was so annoyed

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Healy should be retained regardless.

JJ's status depends on Carbery. Covid/penny pinching aside, I think JJ is worth keeping around. Crowley and Flannery will only be in the second year of the academy next season.

Scannell will the backup 10 I expect. Daly or Sweetnam to get onto the bench.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,474 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

This is absolutely ridiculous now. How can Munster be so unlucky with injuries at one of the key positions

Been reduced to playing with our reserve out half for pretty much the entire last 5 seasons

Unavailable: Matt Gallagher (shoulder), Alex McHenry (thumb), Neil Cronin (knee), Dave Kilcoyne (ankle), RG Snyman (knee), Joey Carbery (ankle).

The injury list is looking a bit lighter this week. Scannell and Loughman will hopefully get an A appearance on Friday with a view to the interpros.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,106 ✭✭✭✭ Gary Moldy Memory

Has there been any recent news on Carbery? Still just out indefinitely?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,134 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

This question keeps coming up and the answer is still no. We won't have Joey news until he's back in training and when it's announced this thread will be hopping. Munster said no timelines on this injury. So there'll be no updates until there's actual news.

Honestly forget about joey for now assume he's next year at earliest we have healy, flannery and crowley to be excited by.

Even when he does get back it's been so long since he's played he's likely to be rusty as ****.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭FrannoFan

Need to stop thinking about life when Joey is back. He might never play again. If he comes back it's a bonus but need to plan like he's not

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭un5byh7sqpd2x0

FrannoFan wrote: »
    Need to stop thinking about life when Joey is back. He might never play again. If he comes back it's a bonus but need to plan like he's not

Then cut him loose and give his wages to Ben10

• Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭Stan27

Cut him loose is a bit harsh.
    Young guy has just been unlucky, and is worth to be given the time he needs.

If he does come back, id have him playing 15.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,024 ✭✭✭bayern

nice

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,176 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Healy will be out of action for between 2-4 weeks.

https://twitter.com/Murray_Kinsella/status/1339191117749903363?s=09

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,106 ✭✭✭✭ Gary Moldy Memory

• Registered Users Posts: 2,098 ✭✭✭UAEguy2020

Chance to look at Crowley during the interpros.

I personally see Flannery as a 15, a Le Roux kind of fullback.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭Tomtom364

UAEguy2020 wrote: »

Interestingly Crowley has features at 12 with flannery at 10 in some of the A games

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,024 ✭✭✭bayern

UAEguy2020 wrote: »

Don't seem to rate crowley as a 10

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,339 ✭✭✭✭phog

From the Examiner
    Quins scrum-half Care accuses Munster of diving like PSG
    Danny Care hits back after Johann van Graan complained of rough treatment for out-half Ben Healy
    Quins scrum-half Care accuses Munster of diving like PSG

"I've heard they’re all complaining about late hits, ask Mike Brown about late hits and why he didn’t come back on the pitch (after a Head Injury Assessment). He was KOed.

"Nothing came of that, we took a couple of yellow cards."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,842 ✭✭✭ionadnapokot

This is the best news in Irish rugby this year.
    I know it’s ridiculously early but still to hear anything positive is music to my ears.

Just hoping to hear something positive on Furlong now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭Dog Botherer

i think this is what Care is referencing?

https://mobile.twitter.com/Murray_Kinsella/status/1338961802420432897

hard to make it out as the camera moves on quickly. looks like an innocuous enough body check but running into a man of Kleyn’s size at that speed would hurt a bit i’m sure.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭TomsOnTheRoof

i think this is what Care is referencing?

https://mobile.twitter.com/Murray_Kinsella/status/1338961802420432897

hard to make it out as the camera moves on quickly. looks like an innocuous enough body check but running into a man of Kleyn’s size at that speed would hurt a bit i’m sure.

Agree that it looks innocuous. I'd have little sympathy.

Advertisement