Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Munster Team Talk Thread - Beirne After Reading

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,681 ✭✭✭arsebiscuits1

i think this is what Care is referencing?

https://mobile.twitter.com/Murray_Kinsella/status/1338961802420432897

hard to make it out as the camera moves on quickly. looks like an innocuous enough body check but running into a man of Kleyn’s size at that speed would hurt a bit i’m sure.

There was nothing in the Kleyn one. He didn't need to do it but it wasn't a shoulder. Different league to the Quins ones

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

i think this is what Care is referencing?

https://mobile.twitter.com/Murray_Kinsella/status/1338961802420432897

hard to make it out as the camera moves on quickly. looks like an innocuous enough body check but running into a man of Kleyn’s size at that speed would hurt a bit i’m sure.

I think the ref got all 3 of those right, to be fair to him. To me, the Kleyn one looks the most innocuous. The Marler one is ridiculously late, tho.

Whatever Danny Care wants to come out with, if each of your back row spends 10 mins in the bin, you clearly have some discipline issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

There was nothing in the Kleyn one. He didn't need to do it but it wasn't a shoulder. Different league to the Quins ones

It was a shoulder. He plants both his feet and checks MB with his right shoulder. It's nowhere near as late as Marler's but it has as much force in it owing as much to Brown moving at pace as it does to Kleyn's actions.

Neither Marler's nor Kleyn's are in the same ballpark as Dombrandt's which was genuinely late and nasty, using significant force. The other two are completely normal hits we see in many matches and supporters regularly celebrate their own players for "laying down a marker", "setting the tone", "letting them know you're there" etc. which is all total BS. They both deserve penalties and nothing more under current interpretations though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭Dog Botherer

if Brown was KO’d by that i think it was from the whiplash more than anything. stonewall penalty but hard to justify increasing the sanction.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,243 ✭✭✭Boscoirl

to me, Marlers was the most cynical, he knew exactly what he was doing

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,134 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

Boscoirl wrote: »

He always does!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭Dog Botherer

they were all very cynical and intentional. Marler knew he was safe though because few refs will bin a second player from a team for the same offense while the player is still off the pitch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 251 ✭✭Paul Weller

I thought at the time Dombrant should have had a red card as his was deliberate, late and no concern for the players welfare... still do tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 6,029 ✭✭✭Yeah_Right

Kleyn's shouldn't have even been a penalty. He doesn't have to get out of a player's way. Brown runs into him and he puts his hands up and gives him a little push. If Brown had chip kicked him, would anyone say penalty?

Dombrandt lined Healy up and hit him hard and late. Marler stepped across and dropped a shoulder. Completely different from Kleyn.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,131 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

Yeah_Right wrote: »
    Kleyn's shouldn't have even been a penalty. He doesn't have to get out of a player's way. Brown runs into him and he puts his hands up and gives him a little push. If Brown had chip kicked him, would anyone say penalty?

Dombrandt lined Healy up and hit him hard and late. Marler stepped across and dropped a shoulder. Completely different from Kleyn.

Ah it's a clear penalty. Kleyn doesn't have to get out of his way but he doesn't just stand his ground, he actively makes contact, there's no wrap, because he figures he'll get away with it.

Not on the same scale as Dombrandt but still dirty play.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

there was very clear and obvious movement from Kleyn. He moved into the way of Brown. You dont have to get out of a players way but Kleyn chose to move into that space.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,474 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

Ah it's a clear penalty. Kleyn doesn't have to get out of his way but he doesn't just stand his ground, he actively makes contact, there's no wrap, because he figures he'll get away with it.

There’s a lot more of an attempt to wrap from Klein than either of the harlequins late tackles, and Brown ran into Klein moments after passing the ball. It was technically a late tackle but when I saw it in real time I did think that Brown ran into Klein so it was marginal. Unlucky for Brown that he came away worse. Nobody wants to see players get injured or KOd, especially in the light of the evidence piling up around CTEs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,788 ✭✭✭irelandrover

I thought Marlers and Kleyn's were the same to be honest. Both late but no significant force.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,131 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

Akrasia wrote: »
    There’s a lot more of an attempt to wrap from Klein than either of the harlequins late tackles,

I don't think that matters tbh. It's either a foul or it's not - something that happened 15 minutes later doesn't make it any less so.
    and Brown ran into Klein moments after passing the ball. It was technically a late tackle but when I saw it in real time I did think that Brown ran into Klein so it was marginal. Unlucky for Brown that he came away worse. Nobody wants to see players get injured or KOd, especially in the light of the evidence piling up around CTEs

It was a deliberate foul. I'm sure he didn't mean to KO him, but Brown had to go off with a HIA. If we're serious about reducing the risk of head injuries, this sort of thing is exactly what needs to be stamped out.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,029 ✭✭✭Yeah_Right

We're obviously watching different incidents. The one I saw, Kleyn stands his ground and Browne runs into him

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,132 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

We're obviously watching different incidents. The one I saw, Kleyn stands his ground and Browne runs into him
    I think that Kleyn does move into Browns path and Brown does then run into him, but there's nothing much in it really. It's in no way comparable to the late no arm lunges on Healy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,366 ✭✭✭yerrahbah

Great to see Scannell and Loughman back to provide a bit of depth for the interpros

Here's hoping Scannell can recover the form that saw him at one stage being the likely successor to Rory Best for Ireland

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,994 ✭✭✭leakyboots

Yeah he sort of stagnated form wise and has been a bit unlucky with injury. There's so much competition at Munster for hooker from KOB and Marshall in particular he's back down the pecking order and is a good way off being in Ireland reckoning too. I recall him being a good groundhog when he burst on the scenes and turning over opposition ball on the deck, would like to see more of that from him. His darts are usually good from my memory of things

I think that Kleyn does move into Browns path and Brown does then run into him, but there's nothing much in it really. It's in no way comparable to the late no arm lunges on Healy.

When Kleyn moved into Brown's path, Brown had the ball and Kleyn was perfectly entitled to attempt to tackle him. Kleyn's late hit was a fraction of a second after Brown passed the ball. Should Kleyn have gotten out of his way, and let him dummy pass and run around him?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,366 ✭✭✭yerrahbah

The A game now on tomorrow evening and is being streamed.

Will probably have a few missing from the team that played last week, might need a few bodies to travel to Clermont as cover

https://www.munsterrugby.ie/2020/12/17/munster-a-live-stream-kick-off-change/

• Advertisement

Team named. A team to be named later this afternoon

Munster: Mike Haley; Keith Earls, Chris Farrell, Damian de Allende, Shane Daly; JJ Hanrahan, Conor Murray; Josh Wycherley, Rhys Marshall, Stephen Archer; Jean Kleyn, Tadhg Beirne; Gavin Coombes, Peter O’Mahony (c), CJ Stander.

Replacements: Kevin O’Byrne, Liam O’Connor, John Ryan, Fineen Wycherley, Billy Holland, Craig Casey, Rory Scannell, Jack O’Donoghue.

Unavailable: Andrew Conway was unavailable for selection due to personal reasons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,319 ✭✭✭davo2001

Who covers 10 if JJ gets injured? Scannell i assume?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭Tomtom364

davo2001 wrote: »
    Who covers 10 if JJ gets injured? Scannell i assume?

Most likely.
    Murray if Scannell is needed elsewhere

Is Conway injured or just dropped for this game?
    Its nice to see Shane Daly get a start in Europe. Hopefully it's based on his form rather than a forced change

edit 'Just saw that last line about Conway's personal reasons. Hopefully nothing too serious

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,570 ✭✭✭bennyl10

Is Conway injured or just dropped for this game?
    Its nice to see Shane Daly get a start in Europe. Hopefully it's based on his form rather than a forced change

Personal reasons he's out

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,024 ✭✭✭bayern

Munster A: Darren Sweetnam, Seán French, Alan Flannery, Jake Flannery, Liam Coombes, Jack Crowley, Ben Murphy, Jeremy Loughman, Diarmuid Barron (c), Roman Salanoa, Paddy Kelly, Thomas Ahern, Jack Daly, Chris Cloete, Jack O’Sullivan.

Replacements: Scott Buckley, Mark Donnelly, Cian Hurley, Alex Kendellen, Daniel Okeke, Ethan Coughlan, Conor Phillips, Nick Green, Conor Moloney.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,339 ✭✭✭✭phog

Munster Rugby in 2020: Five experts analyse the province’s potential for a return to the top

From the Examiner - haven't read it yet but as with a lot of articles on Munster Rugby some will agree and some will disagree.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,243 ✭✭✭Boscoirl

Anyone else’s stream of the a game is like a toddler has control of the camera?

Seems to be following the play but just showing the stand most of the time.

its everyone. shame not to be able to see anything.
    Hopefully will get it right for 2nd half

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,445 ✭✭✭launish116

Nice stand though

Advertisement