Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Munster Team Talk Thread - Beirne After Reading

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,608 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

would quite like to see a role reversal and have MM starting in the front row against Clermont

Surely you mean Leo not Mehole.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,098 ✭✭✭UAEguy2020

on the subject of dodgy governments how’s the UAE going these days

A hell of a lot better, I’m going on my 5th brunch in 4 months on Wednesday while I’d have done 0 if I was in Ireland. Supposedly everything is opening up on the 24th, we just don’t know what measures will be brought in.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭Dog Botherer

UAEguy2020 wrote: »
    A hell of a lot better, I’m going on my 5th brunch in 4 months on Wednesday while I’d have done 0 if I was in Ireland. Supposedly everything is opening up on the 24th, we just don’t know what measures will be brought in.

probably a lot easier keeping the ship afloat when it’s run on slave labour, in fairness

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,994 ✭✭✭leakyboots

even i think that’s a bit much, and i’m ****ing mental

That tickled me rightly :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,474 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

tin foil hat much.... other countries have detected it too and closed borders....

Politicians abroad reacted to what the UK politicians said about the virus being out of control because of this new strain.

What the actual scientists say is much less alarmist
    https://www.irishtimes.com/news/health/irish-scientists-play-down-concerns-over-new-coronavirus-strain-in-uk-1.4437733

“I don’t think there is any cause for scaring people on this right now,” said virologist Kingston Mills, professor of experimental immunology at Trinity College Dublin. “My advice is not to dramatise this because there is no point panicking people into thinking it is going to kill more people or cause further spread or that the vaccine is not going to work.”

Prof Mills believes Mr Hancock might be incorrectly conflating issues. “I don’t know where he is getting that it spreads more rapidly. To make that statement, you would have to have data showing that the virus is more transmissible,” he said.

The question this latest mutation in England raises – is this strain of the virus more infectious or more lethal, and will it pose a threat to the effectiveness of the new vaccines? So far, the data isn’t there to worry people."

I'm not saying that viruses cannot mutate or that it's impossible that there is a more virulent strain of this virus circulating at the moment, But I do not trust the UK government when they blame the increased lockdown on this rather than the fact that they have mishandled the response to the virus from the start

But this isn't the place for this discussion

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

Back on topic please. That's Munster, in case you were confused.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,474 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

Zzippy wrote: »
    Back on topic please. That's Munster, in case you were confused.

Fantastic win on Saturday, JJ I always had faith in you

• Registered Users Posts: 11,790 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

Akrasia wrote: »
    JJ I always had faith in you

Enough of the conspiracy theories

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

So how much should Munster rotate in the christmas games?
    Especially with such good chances of getting through in champions cup now.
    Id like to see some of the main guys get 2 games but thats not going to happen

Josh wycherly was fantastic today. will be very interesting to see how he goes in interpros now.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,790 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

So how much should Munster rotate in the christmas games?
    Especially with such good chances of getting through in champions cup now.
    Id like to see some of the main guys get 2 games but thats not going to happen

Josh wycherly was fantastic today. will be very interesting to see how he goes in interpros now.

I reckon the away selections for all teams will be largely be heavily rotated. Internationals will be playing 1 game max bar maybe a few exceptions

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Strongest possible minus internationals against Leinster.
    Rotated side minus internationals against Ulster.
    First choice against Connacht.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

Strongest possible minus internationals against Leinster.
    Rotated side minus internationals against Ulster.
    First choice against Connacht.
    Would agree with that. We need 2 wins in europe with bonus to guarantee europe quarter.

Would be good to see Crowley/Flannery play in some these games.
    Stander, POM will be rested but Archer needs to be. Wycherly did very well this weekend but how much would should he do over these games?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,134 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

CJ needs to be rested, he gives his all but he had most Ireland time this autumn, he looked tired v Scotland but full of life v Clermont.

I'd expect a combination of the most recent A team and the full team over the next few weeks. Daly is an interesting one because he needs game time but at 15 surely?

Would agree with that. We need 2 wins in europe with bonus to guarantee europe quarter.

Would be good to see Crowley/Flannery play in some these games.
    Stander, POM will be rested but Archer needs to be. Wycherly did very well this weekend but how much would should he do over these games?

It wouldn't surprise me if Wycherley gets rested next week. That was an incredible performance but he's still very young. I suppose it depends on Cronin and Loughman's fitness.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭schmoo2k

It wouldn't surprise me if Wycherley gets rested next week. That was an incredible performance but he's still very young. I suppose it depends on Cronin and Loughman's fitness.

Especially when he comes down from the high he will be on over the next couple of days (well I hope he is enjoying the attention).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,339 ✭✭✭✭phog

I think JJ picked up a knock very late in the game on Saturday so I wouldn't be surprised if he's added to the injury list. I think we'll see the internationals rested this week at least so we could have a very makeshift team for the first two interpros. I'd assume we'll see some or all of them playing v Connacht in prep for the home game v Clermont.

We're playing good rugby, getting the results but Saturday was our first big test and we manged to dig deep and come back from the dead to win and deny Clermont a losing BP. We can be soft in defence at times and it has cost us 5/7 pointers and we need to tighten that up if we're beat the likes of Leinster and progress this season but overall I'm happy with our performances.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,366 ✭✭✭yerrahbah

https://www.munsterrugby.ie/2020/12/22/squad-update-munster-prepare-for-leinster-at-thomond/

The Munster squad returned to training on Monday ahead of Saturday’s Guinness PRO14 clash against Leinster at Thomond Park (7.35pm).
    Peter O’Mahony was removed from the match against Clermont Auvergne with a head injury and he will now follow the return to play protocols.

Alex McHenry (thumb) and Dave Kilcoyne (ankle) will return to training this week.

Jeremy Loughman returned to action in Friday night’s Munster A victory over Leinster A at Thomond Park.

The team to face Leinster will be named on Thursday.

Unavailable: Matt Gallagher (shoulder) RG Snyman (knee) Neil Cronin (knee) Joey Carbery (ankle) James Cronin (abdomen), Ben Healy (shoulder).

O'Mahony likely out of the Leinster game but he was probably never going to play anyway

Good news on Kilcoyne, has yet to feature this season

J.Cronin and Healy missing for Leinster.

I wonder would they look at Crowley at 10 vs Leinster?

Wycherley, Marshall, Ryan, Kleyn, Beirne, Wycherley, JOD, Coombes;
    Casey, JJH, Daly, DDA, Goggin, Conway, Haley

KOB, Loughman, Knox, JOS, Cloete, McCarthy, Scannell, Sweetnam

Injured: Cronin, Snyman, POM, Hodnett, Cronin, Carbery, Healy, Gallagher
    Rested: Stander, Murray, Farrell, Earls

I suspect with Cronin out and Kilcoyne and Loughman short of minutes they will give Josh Wycherley a start. Beirne, Daly and Conway have few minutes for Ireland so perhaps they will all be available, plus Conway didn't play last weekend. Stander is on five starts in five weeks and Farrell is on five starts in six so we won't see them until the Connacht game.

I suspect with Cronin out and Kilcoyne and Loughman short of minutes they will give Josh Wycherley a start. Beirne, Daly and Conway have few minutes for Ireland so perhaps they will all be available, plus Conway didn't play last weekend. Stander is on five starts in five weeks and Farrell is on five starts in six so we won't see them until the Connacht game.

How much gametime had Earls with Ireland during the recent Internationals, I doubt he falls into the two week rest period unless they want them all in Irish Camp

• Registered Users Posts: 780 ✭✭✭Kirk Van Houten

Three looseheads available, Wycherley, O'Connor and Loughman. Maybe Josh off the bench with either LOC or Loughman to start depending on who is fitter.

• Advertisement

phog wrote: »
    How much gametime had Earls with Ireland during the recent Internationals, I doubt he falls into the two week rest period unless they want them all in Irish Camp

https://www.irishrugby.ie/player/keith-earls/

I imagine Earls will fall under a two week rest as he made three starts and came off the bench in a fourth game.

Niall Scannell was at the presser so I imagine he's going to start.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,132 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

https://www.irishrugby.ie/player/keith-earls/

I imagine Earls will fall under a two week rest as he made three starts and came off the bench in a fourth game.

Niall Scannell was at the presser so I imagine he's going to start.
    That's Earls only rugby since September. He's got plenty in the tank before he needs an enforced break. If anything he needs more games.

That's Earls only rugby since September. He's got plenty in the tank before he needs an enforced break. If anything he needs more games.

That would be my take on things too

• Registered Users Posts: 3,812 ✭✭✭Jump_In_Jack

Three looseheads available, Wycherley, O'Connor and Loughman. Maybe Josh off the bench with either LOC or Loughman to start depending on who is fitter.

Kilcoyne is available as well, though only back this week so maybe a start against Leinster is too much to ask straight off, maybe off the bench might be OK.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,134 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

After the A game I'd expect Salanoa to get the nod. Rhys Marshall made Sky's team of the week so would expect him to make the 23. Could be putting his hand up for Ireland too.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

Caranica wrote: »
    After the A game I'd expect Salanoa to get the nod. Rhys Marshall made Sky's team of the week so would expect him to make the 23. Could be putting his hand up for Ireland too.

The pecking order at hooker is difficult to know at this stage. Scannell could find himself out of the 23 come the Clermont game.

• Registered Users Posts: 780 ✭✭✭Kirk Van Houten

Kilcoyne is available as well, though only back this week so maybe a start against Leinster is too much to ask straight off, maybe off the bench might be OK.

It's probably a week too early for him. Would need a huge amount of contact work and scrum practice to be trusted even off the bench after that long out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,845 ✭✭✭shootermacg

It's probably a week too early for him. Would need a huge amount of contact work and scrum practice to be trusted even off the bench after that long out.

I'd say Cronin has a better all round game to Kilcoyne anyway. Pity he's still injured.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 251 ✭✭Paul Weller

I'd say Cronin has a better all round game to Kilcoyne anyway. Pity he's still injured.

Killer was the form loosie before he got injured, had looked lean and was carrying well in the international setup .. if he gets that form back over the next few weeks he goes straight back into the 6n squad imo

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,845 ✭✭✭shootermacg

Killer was the form loosie before he got injured, had looked lean and was carrying well in the international setup .. if he gets that form back over the next few weeks he goes straight back into the 6n squad imo

Killer is a very good player, he's just not a balanced player. He carries that's what he does. Cronin gets through a ton of work around the park.

Advertisement