Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Munster Team Talk Thread - Beirne After Reading

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,098 ✭✭✭Poorside

Killer is a very good player, he's just not a balanced player. He carries that's what he does. Cronin gets through a ton of work around the park.

So wrong it's a bit funny, he gets through a mountain of work every game, hits ruck, secures plenty of breakdown ball and ends up ready to carry all the time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,845 ✭✭✭shootermacg

Poorside wrote: »
    So wrong it's a bit funny, he gets through a mountain of work every game, hits ruck, secures plenty of breakdown ball and ends up ready to carry all the time.

Ah, the "auditor is what is true" has arrived. Pleased to meet you owner of the divine opinion that ends all other opinions. Arrogance and ignorance often come in pairs :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,131 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

Is this a widely-held view? Cronin is a good player but I wouldn't have thought he was nearly as good as Kilcoyne.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Cronin has been very good but this feels like recency bias as Kilcoyne has played only a few minutes since Covid. I think Kilcoyne will be straight back in as a starter.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,366 ✭✭✭yerrahbah

Killer has 39 caps for Ireland, Cronin has 3

Cronin is having a fine season, but Killer has been our starting LH for years now.

Killer also is a genuine ball carrying option. something which has been lacking in our pack the last few years

• Advertisement

yerrahbah wrote: »
    Killer has 39 caps for Ireland, Cronin has 3

Cronin is having a fine season, but Killer has been our starting LH for years now.

Killer also is a genuine ball carrying option. something which has been lacking in our pack the last few years

Hardly relevant to now given cronin's taken a step forward and we have a lot of ball carriers around the pitch now in fairness. Killer will be given his shot for sure but I don't think it's as cut and dry as you seem to

Looking at the probable lineups posted by our Leinster friends, I think Munster have a great shot at a win. The players we have to come on for the missing internationals are a good standard.

• Registered Users Posts: 780 ✭✭✭Kirk Van Houten

Hardly relevant to now given cronin's taken a step forward and we have a lot of ball carriers around the pitch now in fairness. Killer will be given his shot for sure but I don't think it's as cut and dry as you seem to

There isn't a single option in Munsters tight five that even come close to Killers ability to carry ball, especially slow ball into well set defensive lines.

There isn't a single option in Munsters tight five that even come close to Killers ability to carry ball, especially slow ball into well set defensive lines.

There's more to rugby than carrying. Teams have long since grown accustomed to Killer's carrying. He never passes, so they just stick 2 men on him and he's nullified. As I've stated Cronin has a lot more strings to his bow.

Cronin's not a bad carrier himself, although is without a doubt a better passer. He would be more in the McGrath mold than the Healy mode. He's a big jackal threat, great hands and hits rucks all day.

I would say as far as scrummaging is concerned they're both equal.

We've gone from having a deficit of carriers to a wealth of carriers. So being a good carrier isn't enough on its own to guarantee a place.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

There's more to rugby than carrying. Teams have long since grown accustomed to Killer's carrying. He never passes, so they just stick 2 men on him and he's nullified.

We see this mentioned occasionally for Stander as well, for example, but I think it often overlooks the value of attracting 2 defenders, which creates space elsewhere. For example, take a look at Haley's try last weekend - Stander ran a hard angle on 2nd phase, 2 defenders bit in and it created the small bit of time and space needed for POM and Haley to get over.

On the Kilcoyne vs Cronin argument, I come down on the Killer side, but they're 2 great options to have. Cronin has been great at the breakdown since the new interpretations came in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,098 ✭✭✭Poorside

Ah, the "auditor is what is true" has arrived. Pleased to meet you owner of the divine opinion that ends all other opinions. Arrogance and ignorance often come in pairs :D

Physician, heal thy self.

Sure but we have 2 massive carries in the back row. Pom and beirne are excelent carriers just not in the run at a guy's face mould. We have two monster centers that provide bosh. I don't think it's as simple as he's a better carrier particularly as our game has become more expansive

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,339 ✭✭✭✭phog

There's more to rugby than carrying. Teams have long since grown accustomed to Killer's carrying. He never passes, so they just stick 2 men on him and he's nullified. As I've stated Cronin has a lot more strings to his bow.

This in itself is not a negative as it can cause mis-matches/space elsewhere.

At least we cant lose in the Pro14 Semi Final this year

New format means we only play Leinster and Ulster once in the Pro14 this season

Remaining matches

Leinster (H)
    Ulster (A)
    Connacht (A)

Yet to be dates given for

Benetton (H+A)
    Scarlets (H)
    Connacht (H)
    Cardiff (A)
    Edinburgh (A)

So wrong it's a bit funny
    Physician, heal thy self.
    OBIWAN wrote: »
    Only a Sith deals in absolutes.

I'll just leave you two get a room.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,809 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,339 ✭✭✭✭phog

Eod100 wrote: »

Someone or group have received positive test results.

That's a shame if true. Will we see any interpros this Christmas?

phog wrote: »
    Someone or group have received positive test results.

I'd say so alright

• Registered Users Posts: 2,327 ✭✭✭theVersatile

• Advertisement

Wonder what investigating the outcomes of results means? Positive or indeterminate/invalid results that needed to be tested again?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

Disappointing, but what can you do.
    I wonder can I get away with watching the Clermont game again instead....

Happy for the guys, they can have a proper Christmas for a change. Also more importantly I don't have to watch the game with the father-in-law who's a dub :D

• Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭unplayable

8 cases in Leinster is the talk. Shame

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,134 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

unplayable wrote: »
    8 cases in Leinster is the talk. Shame

Wishing we had the 28-0 win rule in the Pro14 now. Rules must have been broken to bring Covid into the camp and to spread that far. No provinces have had anything like that number to date

• Registered Users Posts: 11,790 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

Caranica wrote: »
    Wishing we had the 28-0 win rule in the Pro14 now. Rules must have been broken to bring Covid into the camp and to spread that far. No provinces have had anything like that number to date

Really?

Or maybe at a time when numbers are rocketing and matches are taking place which involve cross border travel it is inevitable that this happens.

Just because there is cluster doesn't mean there is anyone breaking rules.

Going down this road won't go anywhere good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,134 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

• Registered Users Posts: 11,790 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

False positives maybe. Look at the soccer team a few months ago.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,131 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

There are numerous, perfectly innocent explanations.

It was never announced that anyone had tested positive BTW.

Advertisement