Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Munster Team Talk Thread - Beirne After Reading

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭The Inbetween is mine

sydthebeat wrote: »
    The poster means that they hope connacht aren't at full strength next week

Ah... spot my deliberate mistake so :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

No injuries I think from the game last night?

There might only be a few players from that 23 that start in Galway.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,098 ✭✭✭Poorside

With Clermont the week after the first team needs a run out, most haven't played in 3 weeks and it would be madness to put them out against Clermont without decent gametime.

Poorside wrote: »
    With Clermont the week after the first team needs a run out, most haven't played in 3 weeks and it would be madness to put them out against Clermont without decent gametime.

They have to put out the first team because this is the Pro14 season on the line. A win and Munster can coast it for the remaining seven games.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,366 ✭✭✭yerrahbah

I'm not sure but I thought Healy looked in discomfort coming off

Nothing mentioned in comms or by Munster

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,339 ✭✭✭✭phog

Did we have a HIA during the game and did Healy go off injured or was it a case of subbing him.

Anyway, we will have close to a full contingent available for next week and we need to target a win, this game could be the difference between top or runners up spot come season's end.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,845 ✭✭✭shootermacg

JVG really put out a team that I couldn't see winning and you could see that on the two tries, rough edges between the back 3 and the centres. We could have done with more size in the pack.

That being said I was happy with the result. I think we have too much for Ulster to handle if it comes to the final but, that game might even come down to nerves.

I was impressed by Roman Salanoa (great name), he's a serious carrier in the loose and his scrummaging is coming along nicely.

It's crazy that Thomas Ahern is only 20. He really looks like a star. Not sure if his body would be up to full games just yet, but I'd certainly be hoping they get him as much minutes as possible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,591 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

Ahern looks the business. Excellent prospect.
    Salanoa looks to be ahead of the saffer th? Can't remember his name!!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

Dubinusa wrote: »

Keynan Knox? He does seem to have moved ahead of him alright, and from the brief appearances we've seen, I'd say it looks justified. Two great prospects tho, especially with the 2 incumbents in their 30's.

Squad update

https://www.munsterrugby.ie/2021/01/05/squad-update-munster-prepare-for-connacht-in-galway/

The Munster squad begin preparations for Saturday's interprovincial clash with Connacht ©INPHO
    The Munster squad returned to training on Monday ahead of Saturday’s Guinness PRO14 clash against Connacht at the Sportsground in Galway (7.35pm).
    There are no new injury concerns to report.

James Cronin has returned to training this week after recently being unavailable due to an abdomen injury.

Both Dave Kilcoyne (ankle) and Ben Healy (shoulder) made a successful return to action during Saturday’s Guinness PRO14 encounter with Ulster at the Kingspan Stadium.

The team to face Connacht will be named on Friday.

Unavailable: Matt Gallagher (shoulder) RG Snyman (knee) Neil Cronin (knee) Joey Carbery (ankle)

Great to have Cronin back and no fresh injuries.

Start Cronin and unleash Killer after 60 mins

• Advertisement

The injury list is emptying out quite a bit in recent weeks.

Kilcoyne, KOB, Ryan, Kleyn, Beirne, Coombes, POM, Stander;
    Murray, Healy, Earls, DDA, Farrell, Conway, Haley

Marshall, J Wycherley, Archer, F Wycherley, Cloete, Casey, JJH, Daly

Injured: Snyman, Hodnett, Cronin, Carbery, Gallagher

I reckon Kilcoyne gets the start to get him up to speed for Europe (if those games happen!). Other than that, there shouldn't be any eyes on next weekend. This is a playoff game in itself. Win and Munster will have the conference more or less wrapped up. I think Josh Wycherley has earned a spot in the 23.

Dubinusa wrote: »

Is this not a little premature? Salanoa has had very little game time to suggest he has passed anyone out, he does look good but he certainly needs to be starting a few games to be able to claim he is ahead of anyone else in the squad.

The injury list is emptying out quite a bit in recent weeks.

Kilcoyne, KOB, Ryan, Kleyn, Beirne, Coombes, POM, Stander;
    Murray, Healy, Earls, DDA, Farrell, Conway, Haley

Marshall, J Wycherley, Archer, F Wycherley, Cloete, Casey, JJH, Daly

Injured: Snyman, Hodnett, Cronin, Carbery, Gallagher

I reckon Kilcoyne gets the start to get him up to speed for Europe (if those games happen!). Other than that, there shouldn't be any eyes on next weekend. This is a playoff game in itself. Win and Munster will have the conference more or less wrapped up. I think Josh Wycherley has earned a spot in the 23.

I'd largely agree, Id have Cronin ahead of Josh Wycherley, JJ ahead of Healy and JO'D ahead of Cloete

phog wrote: »
    Is this not a little premature? Salanoa has had very little game time to suggest he has passed anyone out, he does look good but he certainly needs to be starting a few games to be able to claim he is ahead of anyone else in the squad.

Salanoa has played 32 mins this season, and Knox 89 mins.

Archer on the other hand has played 403 mins.

Now both Salanoa and Knox were injured for a period but I definitely think they should be getting more game time than they have been

That might give us a better picture of where they are rather than a 10 minute cameo which incudes a huge carry

• Registered Users Posts: 3,812 ✭✭✭Jump_In_Jack

They've been rested for two weeks now. Shouldn't it be the same 23 that will feature against Clermont?

The most likely first choice 23 available IMO:

Kilcoyne, N Scannell, Ryan,
    Beirne, Kleyn,
    Coombes, Stander, O'Mahony,
    Murray, Hanrahan,
    Earls, de Allende, Farrell, Conway,
    Haley,

Marshall, J Cronin, Archer, F Wycherley, O'Donoghue, Casey, Healy, Daly.

yerrahbah wrote: »
    Salanoa has played 32 mins this season, and Knox 89 mins.

Archer on the other hand has played 403 mins.

Now both Salanoa and Knox were injured for a period but I definitely think they should be getting more game time than they have been

That might give us a better picture of where they are rather than a 10 minute cameo which incudes a huge carry

With Covid regulations also impacting on who can train/play it's very difficult to know who's getting game time ahead of anyone else.

Posters should really stop trying to second guess who's ahead of who on the basis on a few minutes rugby.

phog wrote: »
    With Covid regulations also impacting on who can train/play it's very difficult to know who's getting game time ahead of anyone else.

Posters should really stop trying to second guess who's ahead of who on the basis on a few minutes rugby.

Ya that's fair enough, I guess my original point is that its hard to judge these players on so little gametime

Ya that's fair enough, I guess my original point is that its hard to judge these players on so little gametime

The 2nd line of my post wasn't aimed at you

JJ faced the press yesterday, usually an indication that he is line to start at the weekend

JJ faced the press yesterday, usually an indication that he is line to start at the weekend

It wouldn't surprise me. Healy got injured at the wrong time and JJ hit form at the right time. I'm not too concerned for Healy if he's not the starter, he's still very young and will play a lot. If we win in Galway and can coast the rest of the regular season, then Casey and Healy should start the majority of games.

• Advertisement

It wouldn't surprise me. Healy got injured at the wrong time and JJ hit form at the right time. I'm not too concerned for Healy if he's not the starter, he's still very young and will play a lot. If we win in Galway and can coast the rest of the regular season, then Casey and Healy should start the majority of games.

I had backed JJ to start against Quins, cant remember exactly what happened during that game but afterwards I wanted Healy to start against Clermont.

I know JJ had a few issues down in Clermont, but his kicking from the tee was fantastic.

I don't think any of them were particularly hard kicks but they were pressure kicks

I'd say with Crowley and Healy playing in Ravenhill it probably means JJ will start in Galway. He was probably going to start v Leinster in Thomond only it was called off at the last minute.

This is a game we need to win iIt could be the difference of topping the pool or coming 2nd so I think both teams will have strong squads out for it. Munster looking to right the wrongs from the Ulster game while Connacht are on top form from their win v Leinster. Can they put two good performances back to back, from a Munster pov, hopefully not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,308 ✭✭✭✭mahoney_j

He had one great game that’s hardly form ,Jj has always been this way I think he’ll start in Galway ,

Team named for Connacht

https://www.munsterrugby.ie/preview/team-named-munster-side-to-face-connacht-3/#preview

Munster: Mike Haley; Keith Earls, Chris Farrell, Damian de Allende, Shane Daly; JJ Hanrahan, Conor Murray; James Cronin, Kevin O’Byrne, Stephen Archer; Jean Kleyn, Tadhg Beirne; Gavin Coombes, Peter O’Mahony (c), CJ Stander.

Replacements: Niall Scannell, Josh Wycherley, Keynan Knox, Fineen Wycherley, Billy Holland, Nick McCarthy, Ben Healy, Rory Scannell.

None of Conway, Casey, Ryan, JO'D or Killer named

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,788 ✭✭✭irelandrover

Very strong team.

Is Casey injured or rested?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

Very strong team.

Is Casey injured or rested?
    Rotated. will most likely be back in for Clermont

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭Lucas44

What’s the story with Conway lads

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,134 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

Lucas44 wrote: »
    What’s the story with Conway lads

Last we heard was personal reasons

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,132 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

Caranica wrote: »
    Last we heard was personal reasons
    He's been in the last few sets of training pics with a medical bib on, so he may also be carrying a knock.

• Advertisement

If the H/Cup games don't go ahead as scheduled then we should see the postponed Leinster game being played on one of the two weekends, be great to see the two full teams being available for it.

Advertisement