Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Munster Team Talk Thread - Beirne After Reading

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭The Inbetween is mine

I think that the Pro14 is the only game in town for the rest of this season...can't see the European games being finished..or even the 6nations ...quite depressing when you hear the noises coming from the French government

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,132 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

I think that the Pro14 is the only game in town for the rest of this season...can't see the European games being finished..or even the 6nations ...quite depressing when you hear the noises coming from the French government

The 6 nations will be fine. At worst the other 5 play away without the French. As it is they're due to play Italy and Ireland first, so a UK only ban wouldn't affect them until the end of February.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,809 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

phog wrote: »
    If the H/Cup games don't go ahead as scheduled then we should see the postponed Leinster game being played on one of the two weekends, be great to see the two full teams being available for it.

Talk of Munster v Leinster is due to be on 22/23rd alright

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Jungle telegraph suggesting that Ian Keatley has been sacked by Benetton. Sorry if that's a repost.

Jungle telegraph suggesting that Ian Keatley has been sacked by Benetton. Sorry if that's a repost.

Sacked? That would imply some impropriety? Hadn't heard a peep tbh

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,319 ✭✭✭davo2001

Got a link for this? A quick google shows nothing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,106 ✭✭✭✭ Gary Moldy Memory

Something to do with Covid? Doesn't seem like the troublemaking type anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

davo2001 wrote: »
    Got a link for this? A quick google shows nothing.

Article in Italian: https://tribunatreviso.gelocal.it/sport/2021/01/11/news/leoni-esplode-la-crisi-via-keatley-contratto-rescisso-in-anticipo-1.39759237

Here it is run through google translate:
    Benetton Rugby, the crisis explodes: via Keatley. Contract terminated early

First corporate measure for "inadequate performance": a consensual agreement was found. The failure and the reasons: game crisis, pack and closed, locker room. The mitigating circumstances? Very few
    ANDREA PASSERINI 11 January 2021

DIVORCE

So much thundered that it rained. The unprecedented crisis of Benetton and the disastrous Pro 14 winless in 9 matches and with only 4 skimpy bonus points produced the first shock: Ian Keatley, former Munster Irish opener, is no longer part of the squad. He has not trained for days, having reached an agreement with the club for the early termination of the contract. His performance was deemed "inadequate" by the club, but not from now there was talk of a finished feeling between player and head coach Crowley.

The cut is a "bomb": with Allan and Garbisi blues, who will be the director? Padovani on pole, then Hayward, Riera and Da Re, if not Duvenage.

RadioGhirada whispers that the company is making drastic assessments on eroded staff, ahead of the Rainbow and the future. Re-foundation around Captain Duvenage, taking advantage of the "rainbow cup": foreigners and numerous local veterans will leave. The captain's chevrons in Lamaro are the announcement, as does the confidence in the various Lucchesi, Alongi, Gallo, Drudi, Favretto, Zuliani, Menoncello. With the (2) Cannone, the (2) Garbisi and Zanon, they will represent the Benetton colors in the decade that begins.

There is a crowded dock for the accused, for this bottomless crisis: game (therefore the staff), team, but also locker room and environment neither “aligned” nor compact. The management cannot understand: the historic quarters of Limerick have made the Lions fall, rather than being the platform for the European Gotha. Crowley's winning alchemy, with its masterful turnover, suddenly disappeared. And something, in the relationship with the group, has broken. Recently also with the company.

THE KEY ISSUES

The unrelated game of the two derbies is the photograph of a frayed team between the departments and in the locker room. Support and continuity are chimeras, as well as the basis of the game. Conquest, possession, advancement (very few searches for spaces, for power) bring unusual and frankly recidivist errors and worries. The lock, without the veterans, suffers: it seems that specific training sessions also weigh, significantly reduced even before Covid. Also for the drives, in defense and in attack? The open field shows confused ideas. If Ioane is a spectator or almost, served very little ....

The reasons? Yes, rugby is collective, “all useful and none indispensable”, but the sick Benetton doesn't seem to be able to ignore Duvenage, Faiva, Herbst, the most experienced props and Steyn. And died behind.

Very few extenuating circumstances. Absences and injuries, of course. Covid? In addition to hitting 8 lions, he mostly stopped training, But the problems were brewing well from before.

CHALLENGE CUP LINKED TO A WIRE

There would still be a way to save the season: to pass the round in the Challenge Cup. But it risks missing, now that the French government has asked the clubs to suspend travel, especially in the United Kingdom. Friday's match in Agen is on the bill, but it hangs in the balance. Today or tomorrow the EPRC, the board of the Cups, could announce a postponement, but the impression is that with clogged calendars, 6 Nations and Rainbow on the way, everything is tied to very thin threads.

THE SPECTRUM OF A YEAR BANKRUPTCY

Treviso risks the total failure of a year, given the investments (budget of 9.3 million), technical and human resources (squad: 44 Leoni plus 10 permits, staff of 26 men). Especially if you think about the goals at the beginning of the season, definitely out of place. Not even unrealistic, alas: absolutely boastful, out of reality. -

Reserved reproduction

Italian rugby in the toilet . cut the big earner... problem solved.
    I wonder will he retire or look at coming back to Connacht for a season?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,339 ✭✭✭✭phog

That's odd, very odd

Hope he can puck up a club somewhere.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭Lost Ormond

phog wrote: »
    That's odd, very odd

Hope he can puck up a club somewhere.
    34 before the end of this season. Considering the effect covid is having on sides he could be finished.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

34 before the end of this season. Considering the effect covid is having on sides he could be finished.

Could possibly get a contract in MLR

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,842 ✭✭✭ionadnapokot

Leinster need an experienced head to replace Sexton. ASAP!

Leinster need an experienced head to replace Sexton. ASAP!
    They dont!

Have 3 outhalves with around 100, 30 and 20 appearances respectively they have an experienced head there already in Ross Byrne

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,406 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

You know, I'm not 100% sure, but I don't think Ionadna was being entirely serious.

Knocks the Healy rumours on the head anyways

Knocks the Healy rumours on the head anyways

Ben was never going anywhere anyway. It was always an agent move to help with contract negotiations. He has never been anything bar a Nenagh, Glenstal and Munster man. Wouldnt have joined Garryowen straight out of school if Munster hadnt let him join Nenagh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,842 ✭✭✭ionadnapokot

You know, I'm not 100% sure, but I don't think Ionadna was being entirely serious.
    :)

Benneton missed a trick. They should have done a swap deal for Sexton.
    Leinster would have bitten their hand off at the chance to offload!

If I was Leo.....i would have taken the trade!
    €€$NFL$€€ Salary Cap style

That's an interesting one. Did he become a big of a fall guy at Benetton so especially if they're looking to cut costs?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,681 ✭✭✭arsebiscuits1

Good signing for Glasgow. Reliable 10 with a good injury profile who will come cheap.

Great chance for a few clickbait articles too. "Munster 10 in Glasgow move shock"

From Twitter - Pat McCarry
    Plan is to play Munster vs. Leinster this weekend. Players and coaches working towards it but it has not been officially signed off yet.

Would make perfect sense.

I wonder would they move the interpro round due to be played March 6th to the following week? There are rumours from Wales that they're planning to do that.

I wonder would they move the interpro round due to be played March 6th to the following week? There are rumours from Wales that they're planning to do that.

Would make perfect sense, gives them an opportunity to free up a weekend in case it's required later in the season.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,366 ✭✭✭yerrahbah

https://twitter.com/patmccarry/status/1348984866600312832

Now the 23rd is likely date for the Leinster game.

Would most likely be missing the internationals the following week due to the 6 nations starting on the 6th

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,843 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

yerrahbah wrote: »
    https://twitter.com/patmccarry/status/1348984866600312832

Now the 23rd is likely date for the Leinster game.

Would most likely be missing the internationals the following week due to the 6 nations starting on the 6th

Makes sense - Fully loaded Munster vs. Leinster game followed then by a week off for the International panel before the Six Nations start.

Could be the first time in a long time that both teams field near full strength for a regular season contest.

Is that Connacht v Leinster and Munster v Ulster?

Think Munster are away to Benneton on 30th but guess there could be a break for players playing in 6N then (if it goes ahead) and players who play that match between that match and next round on 20th Feb.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,366 ✭✭✭yerrahbah

Eod100 wrote: »
    Is that Connacht v Leinster and Munster v Ulster?

Think Munster are away to Benneton on 30th but guess there could be a break for players playing in 6N then (if it goes ahead) and players who play that match between that match and next round on 20th Feb.
    The original tweet was that the Leinster game would be this weekend, so I was positing that for the weekend of the 23rd. Obviously his original info was wrong.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

That means 2 weeks of build-up to the match right?

Advertisement