Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Munster Team Talk Thread - Beirne After Reading

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

I'd assume someone like Angus Lloyd would be looked at short term if the injuries worsen
    case885 wrote: »
    Hodnett hasn’t been mentioned on the updates since he was injured, it may be because he’s in the academy.
    I’d love to see a Coombes/Hodnett/Stander backrow when he’s back, wouldn’t be short of carrying.

Didn't Hodnett tear his achilles?
    I wouldn't be looking for anything until it comes to pre season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Hodnett had surgery didn't he? I doubt he'll play again this season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭Lost Ormond

Hodnett had surgery didn't he? I doubt he'll play again this season.

Surgery on achilles 2 months ago. Should hopefully get back for end of season

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭Lost Ormond

Tony Leen the Examiner Sports editor says ROGs column tomorrow will have revelations that may intrigue and infuriate Munster supporters in equal measure

Wonder what that will be about?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,327 ✭✭✭theVersatile

Tony Leen the Examiner Sports editor says ROGs column tomorrow will have revelations that may intrigue and infuriate Munster supporters in equal measure

Hardly La Rochelle GAZUMPING Glasgow for Ben Healys signature?

• Advertisement

Hardly La Rochelle GAZUMPING Glasgow for Ben Healys signature?

giphy.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭The Inbetween is mine

I would guess about maybe one day wanting to coach Munster... but not anytime soon.... nothing new there

• Registered Users Posts: 2,098 ✭✭✭Poorside

Timing of PoC being a coach announced, leaving a bad taste in a lot of the players mouths when they are being asked to take pay cuts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,131 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

https://www.irishexaminer.com/opinion/columnists/arid-40207412.html

Not sure why this would infuriate any Munster fans but interesting all the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,366 ✭✭✭yerrahbah

https://www.irishexaminer.com/opinion/columnists/arid-40207412.html

Not sure why this would infuriate any Munster fans but interesting all the same.

Trying to sign our up and coming players I guess

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,024 ✭✭✭bayern

something will have to give eventually with Crowley/Healy and Carbery.

bayern wrote: »

Healy 10
    Crowley 12
    Carvery 15 if he gets healthy

Healy 10
    Crowley 12
    Carvery 15 if he gets healthy

easy to say that on paper..

if Carbery wanted to play 15 he'd still play for Leinster.

Crowley is very intent on playing 10 also by all accounts.

Now if Carbery fails to recover and has to retire, Munster should be able to balance gametime between Crowley/Healy at 10 assuming they move JJ on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,134 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

Flannery (Jake) also there!

Crowley turned 21 on Wednesday. He's in the first year of the academy. There's hardly any panic with him.

Joey Carbery 2022
    JJ Hanrahan 2021

Jack Crowley Year 1
    Jake Flannery Year 2
    Ben Healy Year 3

Assuming the money works out, I think JJ gets a one year renewal and Healy gets a 2-3 year senior deal. Flannery and Crowley remain in the academy.
    If Carbery returns, great. If not, well there's no change to who is available currently. In 2022 there would be plenty wiggle room to release Carbery and/or JJ and move Flannery and/or Crowley to the seniors.

Crowley turned 20 on Wednesday. He's in the first year of the academy. There's hardly any panic with him.

I said eventually, if he is as good as ROG thinks and looked last season for irish 20's, he won't be in the academy long.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,339 ✭✭✭✭phog

I said eventually, if he is as good as ROG thinks and looked last season for irish 20's, he won't be in the academy long.

I think you're looking to create a issue.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

Na. We've only 2 senior 10's and unfortunately there's a big injury question mark over one of them. Healy will be given a senior deal this year and they're all still plenty young.

Funny to see things go full circle on here tho, if the issue now is Munster developing too many players.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,339 ✭✭✭✭phog

I think this "issue" stems from ROG's article on the Outhalf position in Munster and that he made a play for Crowley to head to France.

All good news for Munster if everyone was fit but we know ourselves there were games where Rory was covering the outhalf position

We can always just poach a Leinster player anyway. Always good to have that option in hand.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,812 ✭✭✭Jump_In_Jack

9. Craig Casey, 10. Conor Murray might be the best combination

I think it's about time to start a Munster shopping trip in Dublin thread.

Who do we want?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

I think it's about time to start a Munster shopping trip in Dublin thread.

Who do we want?

You should be saving this for the build-up thread, Thomond!

Altho, it's a bit of a nothing game for Munster as we'll still be top of our conference regardless, much bigger game for Leinster. We should probably just send the kids.

(I think I got that about right?).

• Registered Users Posts: 8,608 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

Won’t be long before Leinster come cap in hand looking for an outhalf.

We can always just poach a Leinster player anyway. Always good to have that option in hand.

Can you look after the next one a bit better please?

This is why we can't have nice things.

Can you look after the next one a bit better please?

This is why we can't have nice things.

Nothing wrong with Nick McCarthy...besides him not being very good I guess

Ben Murphy is the last leinster player signed by Munster.

Sure he'd hardly be playing for Munster if he was very good, am I right?

Sure he'd hardly be playing for Munster if he was very good, am I right?

You're right, he's not playing

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

I can certainly see why ROG would look to sign him. He's a talented bloke and his running game would work well on the firmer ground of France than in the sodden pitches of Ireland.

I do feel that, similar to the Leinster back row situation, something has to give in Munster with their outhalves. It might not be Carbery but I do feel that one of the options is going to have to depart in the next 18 months. Jake Flannery was a highly rated player. People forget that he was mostly a full back at U20 level yet still got the nod ahead of Ben Healy at 10 in the JWC when Harry Byrne was injured.

All three of Crowley, Flannery and Healy are now 21 so there's very little between them in terms of profile. Healy will certainly move to a senior deal this summer. Flannery will go into year 3 and Crowley into year 2 of the academy respectively. Flannery is going to be playing for a contract next year and, if he isn't showing up too well, I can see him being cut and Crowley being given the nod.

Even at that, Crowley has a big waiting list ahead of him with 3 established senior outhalves already in the squad (based on the optimistic assumption that Joey Carbery remains fit for any sustained period). I think that Munster will probably continue to look at Crowley as a 12 to try and accommodate him within the squad but they'll need to focus on that fairly intensely if they want him to make it there. This year has been a near write off in terms of development for guys if they aren't in the senior squad with so little rugby being played in the last 12 months.

Advertisement