Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Munster Team Talk Thread - Beirne After Reading

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,608 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

I wouldn’t blame him if he went, two or three years in France would have earned him a handy few pounds, given him great experience and gotten him game time under ROG, who is a coach that could being a player like him on massively.

It’s hard to see how much opportunity he will get in the next two / three years with both OH’s ahead of him playing well and the one with the most potential coming back to the field in the next 12 months hopefully.

You have to respect his decision and dedication and hope that it will be rewarded

Joeys a big if anyway and if crowley comes through then I'd imagine jj is gone. As far as I'm aware flannerys been playing mostly 15 and he was a 15 at u20s until I think byrne and healy got hurt. Essentially in three years time if we have crowley/healy competing at out half and flannery at 15 but able to fill.in at out half thats ideal. I do t see where the issue is to be honest

I wouldn’t blame him if he went, two or three years in France would have earned him a handy few pounds, given him great experience and gotten him game time under ROG, who is a coach that could being a player like him on massively.

It’s hard to see how much opportunity he will get in the next two / three years with both OH’s ahead of him playing well and the one with the most potential coming back to the field in the next 12 months hopefully.

You have to respect his decision and dedication and hope that it will be rewarded

Didn't work out great for jj. I'd argue irish clubs look after their young players better. In England and france there's a bit of a throw them in the deep end and see if they float attitude I think

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,131 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

Given Carbery's injuries and the usual attrition rate of academy prospects, if Munster end up with one top-level outhalf in two or three years, they'll have done well. I wouldn't be stressing about having too many at all yet.

Didn't work out great for jj. I'd argue irish clubs look after their young players better. In England and france there's a bit of a throw them in the deep end and see if they float attitude I think

It hasn’t done Bill Johnston much good either, he went to ulster with the opportunity of Heineken cup rugby and now is firmly behind two players that he’s not going to unseat anything soon, but some players need to be put into the deep end. It possible that he is saying give it two years here and If he’s not getting time then he will go. Maybe JJ’s future is a factor in his decision, that in 12/24 months he will be third choice behind Carbery and Healy with Carbery away at times on Irish duty.

• Advertisement

It hasn’t done Bill Johnston much good either, he went to ulster with the opportunity of Heineken cup rugby and now is firmly behind two players that he’s not going to unseat anything soon, but some players need to be put into the deep end. It possible that he is saying give it two years here and If he’s not getting time then he will go. Maybe JJ’s future is a factor in his decision, that in 12/24 months he will be third choice behind Carbery and Healy with Carbery away at times on Irish duty.

If healy and crowley become the outhalves that people are projecting them as jj won't have a choice the contract won't be there for him. Big if mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,809 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

Given Carbery's injuries and the usual attrition rate of academy prospects, if Munster end up with one top-level outhalf in two or three years, they'll have done well. I wouldn't be stressing about having too many at all yet.

Ah yeah, think it would be a good problem to have but it's a case of waiting to see if it comes to that.

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭moritz1234

It'll be Healy and Crowley fighting it out for the No.10
    JJ will be third choice
    Unfortunately I don't see Carbery making it back

moritz1234 wrote: »
    It'll be Healy and Crowley fighting it out for the No.10
    JJ will be third choice
    Unfortunately I don't see Carbery making it back

PM the euro millions numbers next time you look into that crystal ball. Sound.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭Lost Ormond

Cian Tracey has an article on hurling v rugby in Limerick and how its affecting Munster.
    Anyone read it? Thoughts?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭The Inbetween is mine

Cian Tracey has an article on hurling v rugby in Limerick and how its affecting Munster.

Pen never refused ink

Pen never refused ink

Would you not agree with a lot of what's been written in the article?
    The clubs have to change how they operate. Too many people support the province and they dont have to attend games to do that and can do so from their front rooms and are not supporting clubs, schools like they used to.

The numbers dropping off from u18.5 club level and schools senior u19 level to under 20 and adult grades is very high and Munster havent done anywhere near enough to address that

• Registered Users Posts: 780 ✭✭✭Kirk Van Houten

Clickbait gonna clickbait innit......

Clickbait gonna clickbait innit......

A lot of what he's written is fair and i think he probably should have went further on some issues.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,132 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

Would you not agree with a lot of what's been written in the article?
    The clubs have to change how they operate. Too many people support the province and they dont have to attend games to do that and can do so from their front rooms and are not supporting clubs, schools like they used to.

The numbers dropping off from u18.5 club level and schools senior u19 level to under 20 and adult grades is very high and Munster havent done anywhere near enough to address that
    What has people not going to club games in the AIL got to do with playing numbers or the fall off after 18?

Would it not have more to do with things like schools not being fee paying so not having the resources of the likes of the Cork schools and Rockwell? Or the fact that non playing schools players aren't allowed to turn out for their clubs?

And who ever supported schools other than their students?

Yes the provincal authorities need to do more, but it's got nothing to do with attendences at matches.

What has people not going to club games in the AIL got to do with playing numbers or the fall off in numbers after 18?

Would it not have more to do with things like schools not being fee paying so not having the resources of the likes of the Cork schools and Rockwell? Or the fact that non playing schools players aren't allowed to turn out for their clubs?

And who ever supported schools other than their students?
    Schools not being fee paying has little to do with reduction in numbers coming through.
    There was lots coming through years ago to play to higher levels and the schools fee's status hasnt changed in that time.

Go to schools games and you will see plenty who didnt attend or havent attended the school watching...
    If young players parents are involved far more in a club through supporting the clubs adult sides and the kids are attending games far more it is easier to keep them involved if you tie in getting more games for them to play as well.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,132 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

Schools not being fee paying has little to do with reduction in numbers coming through.
    There was lots coming through years ago to play to higher levels and the schools fee's status hasnt changed in that time.

Go to schools games and you will see plenty who didnt attend or havent attended the school watching...
    If young players parents are involved far more in a club through supporting the clubs adult sides and the kids are attending games far more it is easier to keep them involved if you tie in getting more games for them to play as well.
    But underage numbers aren't the issue. There a plenty of kids playing underage. As you said yourself, it's players dropping out after 18. Parents not being on the side line is not why players are dropping out at that age.

But underage numbers aren't the issue. There a plenty of kids playing underage. As you said yourself, it's players dropping out after 18. Parents not being on the side line is not why players are dropping out at that age.
    There is still loads of issues with age grade that arent helping the pro game/adult club game.
    Parents not being involved in clubs beyond simply taking their kids to and from training isnt helping the sport. If you get them more involved in the club then it can help the clubs more.
    Changing the 20s structures needs to happen. What would you propose about fixing the issues at 18s/20s?
    There is issues with underage numbers and how its being ran and how players are progressing through the development systems and into 18s/20s

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Dave Kilcoyne and Jack O’Donoghue have both returned to training after missing last week’s win over Connacht due to minor knocks.

Jean Kleyn has completed his return to play protocols and Mike Haley is set to complete his return to play protocols today.

Unavailable: Keynan Knox (knee), Matt Gallagher (shoulder), RG Snyman (knee), Neil Cronin (knee), Joey Carbery (ankle).

https://www.munsterrugby.ie/2021/01/18/squad-update-munster-prepare-for-leinster-at-thomond-2/

Is Conway available again ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Andrew Brace getting the whistle for Saturday.

I was hoping for former Connacht scrum-half Frank Murphy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,339 ✭✭✭✭phog

I'm glad your wish was not granted

Assistant Referees: Sean Gallagher, Eoghan Cross
    TMO: Joy Neville

phog wrote: »
    I'm glad your wish was not granted

Who would you have liked as ref?

• Subscribers Posts: 41,741 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Steve Walsh.... that hair !

Some things never change

Some things never change
    How ironic.

Some things never change
    How ironic.

How ironic.

You can say that again :pac::D

• Advertisement

You can say that again :pac::D

How many refs do you actually not have a problem with?
    You never dont have a gripe and its primarily when your side loses.
    You think you know what poor refereeing is so what would you like done to change/improve refereeing performances?

Advertisement