Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Munster Team Talk Thread - Beirne After Reading

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭Richie_Rich89

costacorta wrote: »
    I just think Daly would be better suited to FB , He has strength, speed can tackle and played and toured with Ireland 7s but has been unlucky with injury. He needs to get a few runs to show this of course and you are right in saying he is probably 23 if Conway is available but I think his future is as a FB .

He was ahead of Haley for the last Ireland squad.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,132 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

Was he picked ahead of Haley for the Ireland squad? He's played most of his rugby on the wing for Munster and made his Ireland cameo on the wing. At FB he's behind Haley at Munster.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

Doesn't necessarily mean he's ahead of Haley at FB for Munster tho; he's far more versatile than Haley who just covers FB. He made his Ireland debut coming on for Earls on the wing, for example.

EDIT: What cookiemunster said.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭Richie_Rich89

Was he picked ahead of Haley for the Ireland squad? He's played most of his rugby on the wing for Munster and made his Ireland cameo on the wing. At FB he's behind Haley at Munster.

His selection for Ireland came off the back of appearances at 15 after the return.

Haley might have been injured at the time, admittedly.

Think I'd go for Stockdale, Larmour, Keenan, Earls, Jimmy O'Brien and Daly as back three players in the upcoming international squad selection.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,499 ✭✭✭Sabre0001

Haley can be a little frustrating with his consistency, sometimes within the one break. Definitely flashes of what he can do though. Looking forward to seeing more of Daly too. He was a little off with his kick-chases in a recent game, just mistimed things. Might get plenty of practice this weekend though! Hopefully all OK with Conway.

Would have liked to see KOB in the 23; think he has really embraced this new style of play that Munster has gone for. Might not be a night for his flashy hands though :D Unsure about Scannell at 23 at this stage. Has the potential to act as second playmaker, but see him used as a crash ball option far too often (with a bigger option on his outside). When his kicks are on point, they're great for pinning teams back, but puts a few astray as well.

Should be an interesting game...that I'll be watching between my fingers!

🤪

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,845 ✭✭✭shootermacg

Scannell is a terrible sub. Scannell came on against Connacht and almost gave them the game, that type of pissfoolary should be punished.

Scannell is a terrible sub. Scannell came on against Connacht and almost gave them the game, that type of pissfoolary should be punished.

I think that's slightly harsh tbh. He was carded for multiple infringements. He was borderline for turning it over, which if he had done, Munster may have seen the game out fairly comfortably.

It was also 77 mins and 16-3 when he got the yellow. We still should have seen it out more comfortably than we did.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,134 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

I would prefer to see Conway on the wing and Daly at 23. We've got cover for 10 on the bench so Scannell is poor value for a bench spot.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,327 ✭✭✭theVersatile

Better team lost that. Murray, POM, Beirne, Coombes excellent. Cronin and Marshall penalties costly, not to mention John Joe's boot. DDA very busy again - hope the drop ball isn't held against him too much (same with Tadhg). JOD looked lovely when he came on too - added a bit of pace to the back row. Daly and Haley did well in what they did. Dropping O'Byrne probably wrong in hindsight.

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭cantwbr1

Better team lost that. Murray, POM, Beirne, Coombes excellent. Cronin and Marshall penalties costly, not to mention John Joe's boot. DDA very busy again - hope the drop ball isn't held against him too much (same with Tadhg). JOD looked lovely when he came on too - added a bit of pace to the back row. Daly and Haley did well in what they did. Dropping O'Byrne probably wrong in hindsight.

The best team is always the one ahead at the final whistle.

Not being able to score for 70 minutes win very few games

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭The Inbetween is mine

cantwbr1 wrote: »

Not being able to score for 70 minutes win very few games

Eh?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,868 ✭✭✭budhabob

I think KoB is comfortably our best 2on form & consistency for some time now. he needs to be starting the big games

• Registered Users Posts: 3,145 ✭✭✭letowski

budhabob wrote: »
    I think KoB is comfortably our best 2on form & consistency for some. he needs to be starting the big games

There has to be questions why Munster's best hooker, probably of the last 2 years being honest, was left out of this game. It was costly.

cantwbr1 wrote: »

Well that’s just not true. In any sport. And is, in a large sense, the beauty of sport.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

letowski wrote: »
    There has to be questions why Munster's best hooker, probably of the last 2 years being honest, was left out of this game. It was costly.

KOB had a knock in training apparently, he was unavailable.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,327 ✭✭✭theVersatile

KOB had a knock in training apparently, he was unavailable.

Ah I see - team selectors blameless so. Couldn't have happened at a worse time for him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,499 ✭✭✭Sabre0001

Frustrating is the only way to sum that one up.

Did some of the hard work well, but lineout misfiring at crucial times and a poor pen miss made life very difficult for ourselves. Maul was looking good, but wasn't given the opportunity to shine close to the line. Considering how Leinster's lineout has creaked at times, I don't know why we didn't contest more, especially close to their line.

Leinster showed why they're champs - could have settled for kicking ball out at HT, but changed mind with the pen awarded and were rewarded with 3 points. The cliche of a game of inches rang true there. Took try well and it's one where you make your own luck - lineout could have been straighter, ball bobbled up nicely despite half blocked, and finished well.

Murray and Beirne looked good. Wingers not given the ball again (unless it was O'Mahony on the wing) - not a night for it, even though we did try to play at times. Would have liked Healy to grab the game by the scruff of the neck when he came on, but it's a learning experience. Casey's box kicking not as pinpoint as Murray's, but at that stage, we should have been trying something different, which Casey typically brings.

Defence was aggressive, although some silly pens and missed tackles let them make easy ground, and can be very happy with holding Leinster out on the line - doesn't happen often.

At the end of the day though, it's another loss. Learning experiences and showing that we can hang with Leinster are well and good, but we need a win and not just when they send their (admittedly talented) childers to Thomond.

🤪

• Registered Users Posts: 1,366 ✭✭✭yerrahbah

Familiar feeling of losing to Leinster.

But normally we get played off the park, this one has a feeling of we left it behind us.

Lineout malfunctioned badly.

JJ's kick on halftime was a tricky one, if that goes wide instead of hitting the post then HT is 10-3 rather than 10-6. Small margins

Murray was really good and the box-kick is still an important weapon to us, Caseys box kicks were off when he came on

DDA is a class act

Healy seemed to spend a lot of time in rucks when he came on when we could have used in running the backline.

A bit devoid of ideas in the 2nd half, Leinster just stood off us and waited for us to make a mistake

Anyway, Benneton next week who have been having an awful season

Discipline was also an issue again. We gave away some idiotic penalties.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,176 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Caranica wrote: »
    Discipline was also an issue again. We gave away some idiotic penalties.

James Cronin had a shocker last night on that front. Think he gave away three pens out of your overall nine conceded

• Advertisement

Clegg wrote: »
    James Cronin had a shocker last night on that front. Think he gave away three pens out of your overall nine conceded

I counted three but the half time analysis said four. Gifted 6 points to Leinster.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,132 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

Caranica wrote: »
    I counted three but the half time analysis said four. Gifted 6 points to Leinster.
    Three on his own and one offside that himself and Beirne were both called for.

Connacht's loss towards is a good result for Munster, 11 point lead.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,339 ✭✭✭✭phog

I thought we were the better team on the night but didn't convert our scoring opportunities, we've won games we probably should have lost but this is one we should have won. It's hard to beat a team like Leinster when you don't score for 70 minutes, you're coughing up lineouts and missing kicks at goal - JJ's one at halftime was a 6 point turn around because after it came off the post we gave away a sloppy penalty 5m from their line and the rest is history.

Their try comes from a crooked throw (the 2nd of the night), we should have done more once the ball leaves the lineout but had a player thrown a pass forward by as much as the lineout was crooked play would have been called back - small margins but they hurt when they go against you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭Tomtom364

Is Ben Murphy still with the Munster squad?

Down to Just Nick Mc Carthy and himself at 9 if so.

If Murphy is gone again, or we ship an injury, who is the stand in 9? I know Mike Haley has played there in his early days and has been the dedicated stand in during games when the 9 gets binned.
    Any academy lads have time there?

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭CONSI

whats the story with Andrew Conway of late. Picked in Irish squad but hasnt been near a munster match in ages, nothing in injury updates about him

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭The Inbetween is mine

CONSI wrote: »
    whats the story with Andrew Conway of late. Picked in Irish squad but hasnt been near a munster match in ages, nothing in injury updates about him

A personal matter is all that's been confirmed from Munster,

• Registered Users Posts: 1,366 ✭✭✭yerrahbah

Tomtom364 wrote: »
    Is Ben Murphy still with the Munster squad?

Down to Just Nick Mc Carthy and himself at 9 if so.

If Murphy is gone again, or we ship an injury, who is the stand in 9? I know Mike Haley has played there in his early days and has been the dedicated stand in during games when the 9 gets binned.
    Any academy lads have time there?

He got a 7 week contract at the start of November and have heard nothing since.

But I assume if he isn't currently with the squad then he will rejoin

Ethan Coughlan played for the As before Christmas

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Craig Casey (Shannon/Munster) *
    Andrew Conway (Garryowen/Munster) 24
    Shane Daly (Cork Constitution/Munster) 1
    Keith Earls (Young Munster/Munster) 88
    Chris Farrell (Young Munster/Munster) 14
    Conor Murray (Garryowen/Munster) 87

Tadhg Beirne (Lansdowne/Munster) 17
    Dave Kilcoyne (UL Bohemians/Munster) 39
    Peter O’Mahony (Cork Constitution/Munster) 73
    CJ Stander (Shannon/Munster) 46

10 players unavailable for the next two months or so. There's going to be a real battle for spots in the backrow and back three.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,339 ✭✭✭✭phog

Craig Casey (Shannon/Munster) *
    Andrew Conway (Garryowen/Munster) 24
    Shane Daly (Cork Constitution/Munster) 1
    Keith Earls (Young Munster/Munster) 88
    Chris Farrell (Young Munster/Munster) 14
    Conor Murray (Garryowen/Munster) 87

Tadhg Beirne (Lansdowne/Munster) 17
    Dave Kilcoyne (UL Bohemians/Munster) 39
    Peter O’Mahony (Cork Constitution/Munster) 73
    CJ Stander (Shannon/Munster) 46

10 players unavailable for the next two months or so. There's going to be a real battle for spots in the backrow and back three.

How times have changed - we used to lose a load of forwards to the national team now it's 6 backs and 4 forwards and only one front row player. Scrumhalf could be a concern for us but I'm delighted to see Casey get a call up.

I wonder will we see Casey and others back with us for game time or will they have a stricter "bubble" this time around

What's our fixtures after this weekend - anything confirmed?

Advertisement