Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Munster Team Talk Thread - Beirne After Reading

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,319 ✭✭✭davo2001

phog wrote: »
    How times have changed - we used to lose a load of forwards to the national team now it's 6 backs and 4 forwards and only one front row player. Scrumhalf could be a concern for us but I'm delighted to see Casey get a call up.

I wonder will we see Casey and others back with us for game time or will they have a stricter "bubble" this time around

What's our fixtures after this weekend - anything confirmed?

Benneton is the last regular league game and with the heineken cup cancelled there is nothing else on the cards as of yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,366 ✭✭✭yerrahbah

How times have changed - we used to lose a load of forwards to the national team now it's 6 backs and 4 forwards and only one front row player. Scrumhalf could be a concern for us but I'm delighted to see Casey get a call up.

I wonder will we see Casey and others back with us for game time or will they have a stricter "bubble" this time around

What's our fixtures after this weekend - anything confirmed?

No nothing confirmed after this weekend,

Its all a bit up in the air at the moment

It's real shame that Hodnett is injured, he would have seen plenty of gametime during the 6 nations

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

I assume the future fixtures announcement will coincide with a final decision on the status of the Rainbow Cup.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭Tomtom364

davo2001 wrote: »
    Benneton is the last regular league game and with the heineken cup cancelled there is nothing else on the cards as of yet.

I imagine the Ireland Bubble will be more secure due to the ongoing levels of Covid and International travel required. However, hopefully players like Conway, Daly, Casey, Killer will be allowed to play this weekend.

they need to fit in 5 rounds of "pro 14" between now and end of March. Surprised they haven't been organised yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,339 ✭✭✭✭phog

davo2001 wrote: »

That's incorrect

This is from the Pro14 Site but I haven't seen the fixtures confirmed
    Round 12 is scheduled to begin on February 19/20 and play will continue across five consecutive weeks to March 19/20 with the final played on March 27.

R12: February 20

R13: February 27

R14: March 6

R15: March 13

R16: March 20

Final: March 27

• Advertisement

Surprised by casey in particular as far as I'm aware guys can't be released during the 6 nations because of covid so I wounder will he train until near the tournament and then come back. I don't think he'll be in the squad and Id.have thought the game time would be better for him than the time with the ireland squad

Surprised by casey in particular as far as I'm aware guys can't be released during the 6 nations because of covid so I wounder will he train until near the tournament and then come back. I don't think he'll be in the squad and Id.have thought the game time would be better for him than the time with the ireland squad

No, he'll almost certainly be unavailable for the duration of the tournament. They'll need one player in reserve for Murray and JGP.

I'm not too concerned if Casey doesn't play a lot over the 6N. He's probably up in the top of minutes for any Munster player this season. Nick McCarthy barely featured when Murray was absent and now he'll get an opportunity to push for a new contract.

• Ethan Coughlan from Ennis has been training with Munster.

INPHO_01763373.jpg

He was supposedly the preferred option when Neil Cronin got injured but was nursing a niggle himself at the time which is why they signed Ben Murphy on loan.
    We have been looking around and working closely with the IRFU,” said Munster assistant coach JP Ferreira. “A guy like Ethan Coughlan from Ennis, a local boy, we were looking at him but he’s injured at the moment".

So with the IRFU’s knowledge, we’ve brought in Ben Murphy from the Irish U20s and he’ll be with us for a number of weeks before we make an assessment on that front again."

https://www.the42.ie/munster-shane-daly-john-ryan-5254865-Nov2020/

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,844 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

Ethan Coughlan from Ennis has been training with Munster.

INPHO_01763373.jpg

He was supposedly the preferred option when Neil Cronin got injured but was nursing a niggle himself at the time which is why they signed Ben Murphy on loan.

https://www.the42.ie/munster-shane-daly-john-ryan-5254865-Nov2020/

Unfortunate timing for him , he broke a bone in his hand a week or two earlier.

Fixtures confirmed

Sat 20th Feb - Edinburgh away
    Fri 26th Feb - Cardiff away
    Fri 5th March - Connacht Thomond Park
    Fri 12th March - Scarlets Thomond Park
    Fri 19th March - Treviso Thomond Park

• Advertisement

Munster should pick up the maximum this weekend even if they put in some young lads. Benetton have had a rotten season.

Connacht's surprise loss to Ospreys offsets our loss to Leinster in the league picture.

If things do go awry in the next few weeks we at least finish the season with three home games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,842 ✭✭✭ionadnapokot

Fixtures confirmed

Sat 20th Feb - Edinburgh away
    Fri 26th Feb - Cardiff away
    Fri 5th March - Connacht Thomond Park

Fri 12th March - Scarlets Thomond Park
    Fri 19th March - Treviso Thomond Park

Are Neil Cronin & Nick McCarthy are going to be 9's for these games (& Benneton on the 31st)?

I assume Farrell is going to give Casey at least minutes off the bench v Italy on the 27th Feb!

Are Neil Cronin & Nick McCarthy are going to be 9's for these games (& Benneton on the 31st)?

I assume Farrell is going to give Casey at least minutes off the bench v Italy on the 27th Feb!

Cronin is injured

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

Do we give Healy the majority of starts now with a view to starting him in the final? Delighted for Casey to be called up to Ireland, but he'd have been very handy for these few games, has developed a good partnership with Healy this season.

Cronin is injured

Ah yes. Hence the signing of Murphy!

So McCarthy, Murphy & maybe this lad Coughlan?

Casey call-up is odd....unless he gets proper game time.

aloooof wrote: »
    Do we give Healy the majority of starts now with a view to starting him in the final? Delighted for Casey to be called up to Ireland, but he'd have been very handy for these few games, has developed a good partnership with Healy this season.

I'd imagine we keep both of them on the boil, there are 6 matches, each of them start 3.

I think Murphy is gone again, he was only on loan for a few weeks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,134 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

Murphy's contract expired Christmas week.

I'd start him next week anyway and see how he goes

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭Number 137

Tomtom364 wrote: »
    Is Ben Murphy still with the Munster squad?

Down to Just Nick Mc Carthy and himself at 9 if so.

If Murphy is gone again, or we ship an injury, who is the stand in 9? I know Mike Haley has played there in his early days and has been the dedicated stand in during games when the 9 gets binned.
    Any academy lads have time there?

Interestingly, Munster don't currently have any scrum halves in the academy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭TomsOnTheRoof

I think we are at the stage now where we have to hand Healy the starting 10 jersey.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭Lost Ormond

Number 137 wrote: »
    Interestingly, Munster don't currently have any scrum halves in the academy.

Coughlan going to be in it now even before end this season with amount he's training with the squad.

I think Murphy is gone again, he was only on loan for a few weeks

Richie prob been on the phone already!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭Lost Ormond

Ennis RFC man and National Talent Squad member Ethan Coughlan has returned to the squad having trained with the team earlier this season and Leinster Academy member Paddy Patterson has also joined the province on a short-term basis.

From squad update
    https://www.munsterrugby.ie/2021/01/25/squad-update-munster-prepare-for-benetton-away/#post

• Was just reading up on academy players that were released or left Munster, interesting to see that James McCarthy who came through the Exiles programme and was capped by the Irish U20's before leaving Munster and heading to join Dragons was released by them at the end of the 2019/2020 season.

https://www.munsterrugby.ie/2021/01/25/squad-update-munster-prepare-for-benetton-away/

So we have the timely arrival of two SHs to compensate for the absence of Casey and Murray who will be away until the Pro14 final at the earliest. There's no injury news.

Benetton have been awful this season and I think can heavily rotate in this one and still come away with the maximum.

I'd like to see:
    J Wycherley, KOB, Salanoa, Holland, Ahern, JOD, JOS, G Coombes;
    McCarthy, Healy, Sweetnam, DDA, Goggin, Nash, Haley

Barron, Loughman, Archer, F Wycherley, Cloete, Coughlan/Patterson, Crowley, L Coombes

Ireland: Kilcoyne, Beirne, POM, Stander, Murray, Casey, Farrell, Conway, Earls, Daly
    Injured: Knox, Snyman, Hodnett, Cronin, Carbery, Gallagher

• Registered Users Posts: 2,327 ✭✭✭theVersatile

https://www.munsterrugby.ie/2021/01/25/squad-update-munster-prepare-for-benetton-away/

So we have the timely arrival of two SHs to compensate for the absence of Casey and Murray who will be away until the Pro14 final at the earliest. There's no injury news.

Benetton have been awful this season and I think can heavily rotate in this one and still come away with the maximum.

I'd like to see:
    J Wycherley, KOB, Salanoa, Holland, Ahern, JOD, JOS, Coombes;
    McCarthy, Sweetnam, Nash, DDA, Goggin, Nash, Haley

Barron, Loughman, Archer, F Wycherley, Cloete, Coughlan/Patterson, Crowley, Coombes

Ireland: Kilcoyne, Beirne, POM, Stander, Murray, Casey, Farrell, Conway, Earls, Daly
    Injured: Knox, Snyman, Hodnett, Cronin, Carbery, Gallagher

Sweetnam at outhalf and cloning Calvin Nash so we have one on each wing is a bold move.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

It'll possibly be as extended a run of starts as Nick McCarthy has ever gotten?

• Advertisement

It'll possibly be as extended a run of starts as Nick McCarthy has ever gotten?

Yup, he's playing for a contract.

Advertisement