Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Munster Team Talk Thread - Beirne After Reading

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,339 ✭✭✭✭phog

Poor Goggin picking up an injury just when he was almost certain to get a run of games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

phog wrote: »
    Poor Goggin picking up an injury just when he was almost certain to get a run of games.

It's such a shame. The possibility of surgery doesn't sound good.

It opens the door for Alex McHenry who is in a contract year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,366 ✭✭✭yerrahbah

Squad update:

Terrible news for Goggin

https://www.munsterrugby.ie/2021/02/09/squad-update-188/

The squad returned to the High Performance Centre in UL today to resume their training programme ahead of this Friday’s Interpro Challenge game against Connacht Eagles and to commence preparations for the next block of Guinness PRO14 games.
    After spending some time with the national squad last week Gavin Coombes has returned to Limerick to train with his provincial colleagues.

On the return of the squad the Medical Department have also provided the latest update.

Dan Goggin underwent surgery last Thursday for a hand injury sustained in the victory over Benetton at the end of January. The centre will now undergo rehab with an expected return to play in 7-8 weeks.

Roman Salanoa, a late withdrawal from the same game after suffering a back injury in the warm-up, returns to training this week.

There is positive news for James Cronin also as he joins training this week after rehabbing a knee injury.

Continuing to rehab: Calvin Nash (thigh), Rhys Marshall (knee), Keynan Knox (knee), Matt Gallagher (shoulder), RG Snyman (knee), Neil Cronin (knee), Joey Carbery (ankle).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,134 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

That's a LOT of knee injuries!!

Bad timing for Goggin, leaves us light for centre cover. McHenry didn't look ready last time he played and was subbed relatively early on.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

I wonder could we see Shane Daly slotting into 13 in a pinch?

• Advertisement

Think one of the academy 10s also covers centre actually, can't remember if it's Crowley or Flannery

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭Lost Ormond

Caranica wrote: »
    Think one of the academy 10s also covers centre actually, can't remember if it's Crowley or Flannery

Both played there. Crowley also played a bit at scrum half for Bandon. Jake can play 10/12/15. Did it with Kilpeople, Rockwell and Munster A.

Still no word on whether the ''A" game vs Connacht will be streamed

Will be interesting to see how Munster approach that game

Do they go full strength and use it as a proper warm up game?

Do they give everyone 40 mins each?

Or do they start the kids and give them a proper 60 min run out and then give the older guys 20 mins towards the end?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭Lost Ormond

yerrahbah wrote: »

Or do they start the kids and give them a proper 60 min run out and then give the older guys 20 mins towards the end?

Most likely will be streamed but imagine will be confirmed tomorrow.
    Cant see them going full strength and has to be used to give younger players who may not play pro14 some game time as they dont have anything else to play and many wont have played in good while

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭The Inbetween is mine

yerrahbah wrote: »

It'll go down as one of Peters games anyways

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,135 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

aloooof wrote: »
    I wonder could we see Shane Daly slotting into 13 in a pinch?
    Dalys away with Ireland.

It'll go down as one of Peters games anyways

No, not counted as part of his 3 meaningful match ban

It's rotten timing. Goggin could have gotten a run of starts.

I imagine McHenry will play in this Connacht with a view to starting against Edinburgh. If he's in line for an extension I'd rather give him a game over Scannell.

No, not counted as part of his 3 meaningful match ban

Tongue in cheek :)
    RTE saying it's a 5 week ban

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,243 ✭✭✭Boscoirl

I can see Scannell and DeAllende starting together against Edinburgh.

Boscoirl wrote: »
    I can see Scannell and DeAllende starting together against Edinburgh.

It's most likely. I know McHenry was been injured at times but he hasn't gotten a look-in since his poor day against Edinburgh. It's not a good sign.

https://twitter.com/CianTracey1/status/1359415557687279617

Hard to know what to make of this,

Coombes was drafted in as a replacement for Doris.

Then POM cops a ban, they release Coombes and call up Conan.

If Munster had a Pro14 game this W/E then I could understand the logic of giving him game time there.

But its only a friendly and he has more mins played tis season than most

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 925 ✭✭✭mun1

As a new call up to the national squad , I’d say they have given him a few specific work ons for his game and the munster match is the ideal place to do this.

Bit odd alright in the middle of the 6N but not uncommon.
    They do the same thing with the underage development squads

• You would hope that as mun1 stated that they have given him a few work ons, give him back to Munster to develop in those areas and see can e put them into action over the next couple of weeks.

To be honest, I'd much rather have him for the upcoming away game to Edinburgh than have him in Carton House holding tackle bags.

Hopefully, that he's now experience the international setup, he'll have the bit between his teeth to get back there more consistently.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,994 ✭✭✭leakyboots

A bit disappointing alright, he must have more work on his game to do as mun1. Curious as to when Jack Conan's last involvement for Ireland was? As in, is he as unfamiliar with Farrel's structures?

• Advertisement

• leakyboots wrote: »
    A bit disappointing alright, he must have more work on his game to do as mun1. Curious as to when Jack Conan's last involvement for Ireland was? As in, is he as unfamiliar with Farrel's structures?

I think it was in the pool game at the RWC, he was out injured for a spell afterwards.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,712 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

leakyboots wrote: »

He was in the camps for the autumn series but was sent back eventually for further rehab after the squad was named I think.

Reports that Simon Zebo will comment on his future next week,.
    Supposedly a shoot out between staying at Racing, or returning to Munster and a shot at the 2023 world cup.

Well now!! Let the floodgates open

• Registered Users Posts: 3,681 ✭✭✭arsebiscuits1

Supposedly a shoot out between staying at Racing, or returning to Munster and a shot at the 2023 world cup.

That'll get the rumour mill flowing nicely.

I'd be gobsmacked if a return to Ireland is even on the cards.

Where would the money come from to pay for him? Can't imagine he's expecting minimum wage

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭Must love hardship

That'll get the rumour mill flowing nicely.

I'd be gobsmacked if a return to Ireland is even on the cards.

Where would the money come from to pay for him? Can't imagine he's expecting minimum wage

Stander and o'mahonys heading in the opposite direction so plenty of cash around.

• Reports that Simon Zebo will comment on his future next week,.

I would actually be disappointed if Zebo came back to Munster with the depth there is among the back 3.

Stander and o'mahonys heading in the opposite direction so plenty of cash around.

Stander is going nowhere... Hopefully!! He's a million times more valuable to us than Zebo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,243 ✭✭✭Boscoirl

I hope Zebo comes back, it'll make boards great craic

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,339 ✭✭✭✭phog

Can we crowd fun him to return, Munster and Ireland need him

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭Must love hardship

Stander is going nowhere... Hopefully!! He's a million times more valuable to us than Zebo.

"A million times more valuable.." is he made of Bitcoin or gold?

Zebo is a home grown talent from Cork who could inspire kids from different backgrounds to play Rugby in Munster/ireland.

If a foreign import is more valuable to you than a player who came through the ranks then that reflects poorly on you.

No one had nailed down Zebo's position in Munster since he left.

We have plenty of backrows in this country capable of doing as good a job as stander given a chance. We never had a problem producing good lions quality backrows im ireland over the years.

Munster have Coombes O'sullivan Hodnet all under 23 coming through. Not the same level of quality coming through in back 3.

Advertisement