Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Munster Team Talk Thread - Beirne After Reading

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,024 ✭✭✭bayern

Zebo isn't some working class inspiration from Mayfield FYI.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Zebo would be an upgrade at fullback.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,994 ✭✭✭leakyboots

bayern wrote: »

Zebo was THE draw with kids for Munster. Even on days when he was out of the squad with injury but he'd be mobbed coming in from LIT carpark to the West Stand in Thomond.

I don't know if he'll be the same player that left but given Earls' age profile I'd welcome him back - he can add to his tally as all-time try scorer as much as he wants!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,134 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

"A million times more valuable.." is he made of Bitcoin or gold?

Zebo is a home grown talent from Cork who could inspire kids from different backgrounds to play Rugby in Munster/ireland.

If a foreign import is more valuable to you than a player who came through the ranks then that reflects poorly on you.

No one had nailed down Zebo's position in Munster since he left.

We have plenty of backrows in this country capable of doing as good a job as stander given a chance. We never had a problem producing good lions quality backrows im ireland over the years.

Munster have Coombes O'sullivan Hodnet all under 23 coming through. Not the same level of quality coming through in back 3.

The big difference is Stander is a team player and one of the hardest working players in world rugby, his stats are consistently impressive. He leads by example and regardless of his country of birth, he gives everything to his team.

Zebo is a perfect fit for Racing, as is Finn Russell. Because Racing is about individuals rather than the team. Going it alone despite better options inside/outside is ok at Racing. Zebo's last game for Munster was a league semi final v Leinster at the RDS, I counted three missed try scoring opportunities because Zebo wouldn't pass the ball.

We're well covered for back 3 players, I could not see how bringing Zebo back could be justified in any way.

It's too early to say if we are well covered for back three players as only Conway and Gallagher are signed up for next year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭Must love hardship

Caranica wrote: »
    The big difference is Stander is a team player and one of the hardest working players in world rugby, his stats are consistently impressive. He leads by example and regardless of his country of birth, he gives everything to his team.

Zebo is a perfect fit for Racing, as is Finn Russell. Because Racing is about individuals rather than the team. Going it alone despite better options inside/outside is ok at Racing. Zebo's last game for Munster was a league semi final v Leinster at the RDS, I counted three missed try scoring opportunities because Zebo wouldn't pass the ball.

We're well covered for back 3 players, I could not see how bringing Zebo back could be justified in any way.

I wouldn't be the biggest zebo fan but at 30 he still has a few years left in him. He was never replaced by munster.

I think there is a difference between a work horse in the pack and the grunt stander gets through and a bit of brilliance zebo can bring to munster. Stephen larkam could be a good influence on him.

Can I ask you think is better than zebo in the back 3 for munster? Or has the potential to be?

Shane Daly for starters. I also think Calvin Nash is starting to shine. Matt Gallagher was slow to fire but really seemed to have found form when he got injured. Not forgetting Conway, who (when fit) has to be one of the first names on a team sheet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,499 ✭✭✭Sabre0001

While I think Haley flashes hot and cold, I wouldn't say that 15 is necessarily a problem with the way we're playing. Getting the ball to 15 or the wings has been. Until that's changed, it doesn't really matter who's at full back except in certain scenarios.

A big Zebo fan, but I'd like to see what Daly could do. Disappointed that Gallagher got injured - he seemed like he was starting to get more comfortable. Conway could do a job too (I thought), but he's seen as a winger.

🤪

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

Shane Daly for starters. I also think Calvin Nash is starting to shine. Matt Gallagher was slow to fire but really seemed to have found form when he got injured. Not forgetting Conway, who (when fit) has to be one of the first names on a team sheet.

Liam Coombes as well, was one of the few bright spots the last tho out. Fair ways to go to get to Zebo's level, mind.

Zebo is a liability in defence.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

Zebo is a liability in defence.

Anything positive to say?

aloooof wrote: »
    Anything positive to say?

Munster have plenty of young talent, bringing zebo back would be a regressive move.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭TomsOnTheRoof

I'd be bursting the bank to hold onto CJ and a few others. We'll probably have to shave 2 off the squad anyway. Hard to see where that kind of money would come from.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭The Inbetween is mine

Shave 2 ?
    If reports in the media are true about certain players being upset with 1 year contracts on the table, you could have 5 or 6 leaving

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,135 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

Shave 2 ?
    If reports in the media are true about certain players being upset with 1 year contracts on the table, you could have 5 or 6 leaving
    To go where? There really aren't a lot of options. Rugby everywhere is suffering financially, so there aren't going to be many better contract offers elsewhere. Especially if, as I suspect, its fringe players getting these offers. Players who the top clubs abroad who have a bit of financial stability wouldn't interested in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,339 ✭✭✭✭phog

It looks very like you have a blind spot when it comes to Zebo, like you have previously had with other Munster players so I doubt any post or poster will convince you otherwise but of those you mention above only Conway is anywhere close to the ability of Zebo.

phog wrote: »
    It looks very like you have a blind spot when it comes to Zebo, like you have previously had with other Munster players so I doubt any post or poster will convince you otherwise but of those you mention above only Conway is anywhere close to the ability of Zebo.

This year Zebo is 31, Conway is 30. Lots more experience under their belts. Gallagher and Daly 25 this year and Nash will be 24.

Can you actually justify spending a ton on money on Zebo while seeing us lose players as the budget is tight like never before?

This year Zebo is 31, Conway is 30. Lots more experience under their belts. Gallagher and Daly 25 this year and Nash will be 24.

Can you actually justify spending a ton on money on Zebo while seeing us lose players as the budget is tight like never before?

What's a ton of money and who are we losing?

31 is hardly too old for a signing, especially a home grown signing. If we're dumping/rejecting 31yo then it's time to forget about rugby.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,499 ✭✭✭Sabre0001

Will be interesting to see the makeup of the team being announced today for the game v Connacht Eagles. Still no mention of a stream though.

🤪

There's a few assumptions being made here. I don't think it's a controversial point that Zebo would improve the team as is.

If we're going on the business Ulster has been able to do, I can't see Munster losing too many players. The priority will be to retain the top internationals as they're the ones driving the income of the game.

I doubt Zebo will return as I imagine he's settled in France. If Munster retain everyone out of contract in the back three, Munster are well covered.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,842 ✭✭✭ionadnapokot

Id take Zebo and let Earls and Haley go.

I havent seen Sweetnam mentioned in the last few pages.
    Do people not rate him as highly anymore?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭JohnGreenFan

I'd be shocked if Zebo comes back to Munster. Sounds like he's just setting off the rumour mill to encourage Racing to give him another contract.
    Not that I wouldn't be delighted to see him back but I agree that he fits in very well for Racing and is unlikely to move.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,845 ✭✭✭shootermacg

He's playing the Irish agent game, in France :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,287 ✭✭✭Niallof9

Munster should get Zebo back. To me its a no brainer - obviously tho the money will never match France if the 750k was true. Its a terrible shame how he was left go. Marketing wise, culturally, rugby wise. Its a bit of an own goal imo. The treatment of him by the IRFU, Joe and Leinster fans nothing short of a disgrace really.

He will be the first of many imo as the IRFU will just get worse handing out the wrong central contract/golden handcuffs.

I'd be shocked if Zebo comes back to Munster. Sounds like he's just setting off the rumour mill to encourage Racing to give him another contract.
    Not that I wouldn't be delighted to see him back but I agree that he fits in very well for Racing and is unlikely to move.

Either that or racing don't want him any more.

. If Munster retain everyone out of contract in the back three, Munster are well covered.

Well covered yes but Zebo would be definitely be an addition to the back 3

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,131 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

Either that or racing don't want him any more.

They're letting Teddy Thomas go at the end of the season.

• Registered Users Posts: 780 ✭✭✭Kirk Van Houten

There's a few assumptions being made here. I don't think it's a controversial point that Zebo would improve the team as is.

If we're going on the business Ulster has been able to do, I can't see Munster losing too many players. The priority will be to retain the top internationals as they're the ones driving the income of the game.

I doubt Zebo will return as I imagine he's settled in France. If Munster retain everyone out of contract in the back three, Munster are well covered.

The IRFU seem to be pushing these contracts into three levels. Young players coming through that are or will be on relatively low wages, top level players who are internationals who deserve high wages and then there's the middle level that is getting squeezed.

The lower and top levels are getting sorted first and the middle levels will take what's left.
    Ulster didn't have too many in the middle level on big wages and got their business done early.

Munster have a number of players in that middle level that will be on relatively good money. Sweetnam for example got an Irish cap(s) around the time he signed his last contract. He may need to leave or accept a much lower deal. JJ could be under pressure as well given he can't make the Ireland squad and has so many coming up behind him.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,029 ✭✭✭Yeah_Right

Niallof9 wrote: »
    The treatment of him by the IRFU, Joe and Leinster fans nothing short of a disgrace really.

Not this BS again. Please.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,287 ✭✭✭Niallof9

Yeah_Right wrote: »
    Not this BS again. Please.

Ah stop will you..he clearly was.

He has such a strange perception from fans. The same fans willing to forgive all sorts of ****e from current players.

Advertisement