Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Munster Team Talk Thread - Beirne After Reading

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,327 ✭✭✭theVersatile

Munster A: Darren Sweetnam; Seán French, Alex McHenry, Jake Flannery, Liam Coombes; Jack Crowley, Paddy Patterson; Liam O’Connor, Diarmuid Barron (C), Roman Salanoa; Paddy Kelly, Thomas Ahern; Alex Kendellen, Jack Daly, Jack O’Sullivan.

Replacements: Scott Buckley, Josh Wycherley, Jeremy Loughman, Cian Hurley, Eoghan Clarke, Ethan Coughlan, Jonathan Wren, Conor Phillips.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,320 ✭✭✭Teferi

Personally I think he will stay in Paris and I have no interest in seeing Zebo in a green shirt again, but if Munster want to spend the cash on him, fair play. Is he the difference that brings home a european cup?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,366 ✭✭✭yerrahbah

Munster A: Darren Sweetnam; Seán French, Alex McHenry, Jake Flannery, Liam Coombes; Jack Crowley, Paddy Patterson; Liam O’Connor, Diarmuid Barron (C), Roman Salanoa; Paddy Kelly, Thomas Ahern; Alex Kendellen, Jack Daly, Jack O’Sullivan.

Replacements: Scott Buckley, Josh Wycherley, Jeremy Loughman, Cian Hurley, Eoghan Clarke, Ethan Coughlan, Jonathan Wren, Conor Phillips.

Whoever convinced the Pro14 that this game should count towards Kleyn's suspension deserves a raise :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,024 ✭✭✭bayern

yerrahbah wrote: »
    Whoever convinced the Pro14 that this game should count towards Kleyn's suspension deserves a rise :pac:

to be fair Ahern is better than Kleyn.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭The Inbetween is mine

bayern wrote: »
    to be fair Ahern is taller than Kleyn.

Seems about right

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭DonVito

Is it Jake Flannery or Alan Flannery at 12? I would't have thought Jake would be too effective from 12.

DonVito wrote: »
    Is it Jake Flannery or Alan Flannery at 12? I would't have thought Jake would be too effective from 12.

Jake. He played 12 recently for Munster A too. Seems like they don't fancy him at 15.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,366 ✭✭✭yerrahbah

A 3 all draw on the cards here ....
    I can just imagine Fred Cogley commentating on this and trying to make it sound riveting..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,994 ✭✭✭leakyboots

A 3 all draw on the cards here ....
    I can just imagine Fred Cogley commentating on this and trying to make it sound riveting..

Ah the 90s, good old days!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,135 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

Finished 16-7 to Munster in the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭Purist98

Interesting that they swapped Crowley and Flannery at half time

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,134 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

Purist98 wrote: »
    Interesting that they swapped Crowley and Flannery at half time

Probably planned, they're both officially 10s in the Academy and both played 10 for Ireland at Under 20

Can't see both staying and Healy. Something gotta give.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

Can't see both staying and Healy. Something gotta give.

You mentioned this a few weeks ago also, and for the next 12-18 months I don't see it being an issue tbh.

We've only 2 senior 10's; unfortunately, there's a big injury question mark over one, and the other seems to have a ceiling below what we hoped.

Healy will likely be given a senior deal this year, and by the time Flannery is coming out of the academy, we should have a much clearly view of the Carbery situation, and Healy may have established himself ahead of JJ. But as I said at the time:
    aloooof wrote: »
    Funny to see things go full circle on here tho, if the issue now is Munster developing too many players.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,134 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

The42 had an article last night about why our academy 10s should go on loans, not just a Munster thing

https://www.the42.ie/the42-rugby-weekly-out-half-5352148-Feb2021/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Most of the academy players are in college too. That rules out loan moves abroad for most of them.

Most of the academy players are in college too. That rules out loan moves abroad for most of them.

It's called a gap year.

Most aren't even doing a full course load as is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭Lost Ormond

It doesnt as many of the academy players, pro players study their degrees over extended periods far longer than it usually can take to complete a degree and do online study because they cant attend most lectures etc because of training and going abroad wouldnt change that

Grand, that's me told.

• Advertisement

I don't see the backlog at 10 being much of a problem. I'd probably look at one of JJ or Rory Scannell being released in order to make room for the academy prospects.

I don't see the backlog at 10 being much of a problem. I'd probably look at one of JJ or Rory Scannell being released in order to make room for the academy prospects.

Leinster fans didn't see a backlog at 10 either with Joey Carbery and Ross Byrne.

Leinster fans didn't see a backlog at 10 either with Joey Carbery and Ross Byrne.

Carbery just wasn't loyal enough.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

Carbery had played vs NZ in 2016. He moved to Munster in 2018.

Ross Byrne has been getting European games since 2016/17.

Comparisons to Crowley and Flannery are at best premature, and worst, well... pick your favourite pejorative.

Thomond’s nailed it tho.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,499 ✭✭✭Sabre0001

• Craig Casey, Andrew Conway, Shane Daly and Chris Farrell released back to Munster for this weekends game away to Edinburgh

In player news, Craig Casey, Andrew Conway, Shane Daly, Chris Farrell and Peter O’Mahony returned to Munster training this week.

On the injury front, there is good news for Rhys Marshall (knee) as he has returned to training.

Keynan Knox (knee) and Calvin Nash (thigh) will be reintroduced to training this week.

Liam Coombes was removed with a head injury during Munster A’s clash with Connacht Eagles on Friday afternoon and will undergo the return-to-play protocols.

Roman Salanoa (back) came through that match with no issues.

Joey Carbery is increasing his training load further as he continues his return from an ankle injury.

Continuing to rehab: Dan Goggin (hand), Matt Gallagher (shoulder), Neil Cronin (knee), RG Snyman (knee).

https://www.munsterrugby.ie/2021/02/16/squad-update-munster-prepare-for-clash-in-edinburgh/

• Great to see Joey's name removed from the Rehabbing list.

There was whispers that we could see him line out by the end of the month so maybe Cardiff away on the 26th Feb or leave it until Connacht at home on the 5th March?

I'm reasonably optimistic that we will see Joey back quite soon, no timeframe coming out of the camp... but all the sounds are encouraging...fingers crossed for the guy

• Advertisement

I'd like to see:
    Cronin, KOB, Ryan, Kleyn, Wycherley, JOD, Cloete, Coombes;
    Casey, Healy, Conway, DDA, Farrell, Daly, Haley

Marshall, Wycherley, Salanoa, Ahern, JOS, McCarthy, JJH, Sweetnam

Injured: Knox*, Snyman, Hodnett, Cronin, Carbery, Goggin, Gallagher, Coombes, Nash*
    Ireland: Kilcoyne, Beirne, Stander, POM, Murray, Earls

Going by the update, it sounds like Knox and Nash won't be available in time.

Advertisement