Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Munster Team Talk Thread - Beirne After Reading

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭The Inbetween is mine

The start of next season I think was always the goal.
    Shame as he's something very exciting and could come into the Ireland reckoning if he keeps on this trajectory

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,137 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

Just tired of Rugby? Preserving his health? Or pissed off and decided to leave due to the massive abuse his partner got last year on twitter due to an alleged London trip during restrictions?

Best of luck CJ. I hope you look back on your time in Ireland fondly.
    That wasn't Standers wife the London trip rumour was about. It was a different internationals girlfriend and it was BS anyway.

Standers wife got abuse from xenophobes and racists online for standing up to said xenophobes and racists who were bad mouthing CJ and other project players online.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,599 ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

That wasn't Standers wife the London trip rumour was about. It was a different internationals girlfriend and it was BS anyway.

Standers wife got abuse from xenophobes and racists online for standing up to said xenophobes and racists who were bad mouthing CJ and other project players online.

There was rumour generic internationals gf was going around first before a name.

There was abuse on her twitter at that time.

Then it came out that the gf in question was the gf of a different international.

Then it came out that the whole thing was bull****.

I didn't think of the the xenophobia but that too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 508 ✭✭✭purpleisafruit

Just tired of Rugby? Preserving his health? Or pissed off and decided to leave due to the massive abuse his partner got last year on twitter due to an alleged London trip during restrictions?

Best of luck CJ. I hope you look back on your time in Ireland fondly.
    The guy probably hasn't seen his family in SA in about 18 months or more also. Being in the international bubble away from his wife and young daughter can't be easy either so he's probably assessed it all and decided that going back home was what he wanted to do. Completely understandable and he owes us nothing. Gives a chance for Coombes to step up as 1st choice 8 now and challenge for an international place

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,685 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Come on Munster, win the cup for CJ

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 283 ✭✭Munsterbhoy

Have we CJ for next week?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

The guy probably hasn't seen his family in SA in about 18 months or more also. Being in the international bubble away from his wife and young daughter can't be easy either so he's probably assessed it all and decided that going back home was what he wanted to do. Completely understandable and he owes us nothing. Gives a chance for Coombes to step up as 1st choice 8 now and challenge for an international place

He was back there for the lockdown last year, came back for the restart. But if anything that might have made the case even stronger to go back.

From a purely personal basis, I’m away from Ireland ,my wife is Irish, we have one kid, moving home is high up on our list too, regardless of what my job is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Have we CJ for next week?

Maybe on the bench but I can't see him starting.

Maybe on the bench but I can't see him starting.

I dunno he's no longer an international player so if imagine the irfu will leave it up to.him and given he has a finite amount of games.left I could see him playing

I dunno he's no longer an international player so if imagine the irfu will leave it up to.him and given he has a finite amount of games.left I could see him playing

The issue is the Toulouse game has to the priority and that would then be his fourth consecutive start. If Munster win, the QF would be his fifth.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,517 ✭✭✭Pepp1989

Would the toulouse game be a priority over chance to win a trophy? Its been a long time for Munster. Massive game Saturday

Pepp1989 wrote: »
    Would the toulouse game be a priority over chance to win a trophy? Its been a long time for Munster. Massive game Saturday

Yes it is.

The league has never been a priority over Europe and that's not changing next weekend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,570 ✭✭✭bennyl10

Yes it is.

The league has never been a priority over Europe and that's not changing next weekend.

I wouldn’t say it’s certainly priority

At this stage it’s win a trophy, and we won’t have a better chance than next week.

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭Whitters22

Yes it is.

If that's the case in this instance, it would be a tragedy! Saturday is the chance to end a 10 year drought. Whereas we are a long way from the business end of the Heineken Cup.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,137 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

Yes it is.

Are you mad? The final is definitely the priority. Any final will be regarded as a higher priority than a last 16 knockout game. They even came out and said that the Toulouse game will only be talked about when the final is out of the way. The days of it being Europe or nothing are long gone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,845 ✭✭✭shootermacg

I think there's more money in Europe and currently it's money that will keep us afloat.

I think there's more money in Europe and currently it's money that will keep us afloat.

This is exactly my point. What matters is the IRFU's perspective here. The IRFU run the show and maximising income will be the priority. If a frontline international can only be involved in one game, it's going to be against Toulouse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭The Inbetween is mine

Tbh, I don't think we'll need him... Coombes is a wrecking ball and himself with POM & Cloete will be more than enough to beat a poor Leinster side....

*Shots fired*
    :D

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Tbh, I don't think we'll need him... Coombes is a wrecking ball and himself with POM & Cloete will be more than enough to beat a poor Leinster side....

*Shots fired*
    :D
    Cloete would want to be a fair bit better than Friday night!

If I was Munster I’d want POM in his place with Coombes and Stander if at all possible but I’d say that’s extremely unlikely.

Stander is surely hoping for Lions rugby against SA before he finishes up if at all possible. I’d imagine they’ll try not to break him too much by overplaying him before the summer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,150 ✭✭✭✭LuckyGent88

Priority for me would be this Leinster match. We badly need to win a trophy again. They players need a taste of that. And more importantly we need to beat Leinster once again. Feels like years since we did. Think we have lost the last five games.

Those losses have left a lot of scar tissue I feel so it’s vital that we win this on Saturday.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,366 ✭✭✭yerrahbah

I can't imagine we will see Beirne or Earls for the final.
    Under normal circumstances we wouldn't see Stander either but an exception might be made.
    PO'M and Murray should be available having both missed a large chunk of the 6 nations.
    Kilcoyne could be available depending on his HIA.

I don't like it but Europe takes precedence over the league.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭FrannoFan

Yes it is.

Well then expect the trophy drought to continue.

It's absolutely munster priority to win something at this point. Will never get a better chance than this to get one over on Leinster. It's a perfect storm of fatigued Leinster players, Leinster understandably likely to prioritize europe over a trophy they have won three in a row, irfu player management, cj last stand.

If munster don't win this one can't see them winning anything for another few years

FrannoFan wrote: »
    Well then expect the trophy drought to continue.

It's absolutely munster priority to win something at this point. Will never get a better chance than this to get one over on Leinster. It's a perfect storm of fatigued Leinster players, Leinster understandably likely to prioritize europe over a trophy they have won three in a row, irfu player management, cj last stand.

If munster don't win this one can't see them winning anything for another few years

What about the IRFU's priorities? That's what counts.
    My comment on "The league has never been a priority over Europe and that's not changing next weekend" is based on what the IRFU will want.

If the lineup against Leinster is stronger than I expect, fair enough. It just won't come at the expense of the lineup against Toulouse.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭almostover

Cloete would want to be a fair bit better than Friday night!

If I was Munster I’d want POM in his place with Coombes and Stander if at all possible but I’d say that’s extremely unlikely.

Stander is surely hoping for Lions rugby against SA before he finishes up if at all possible. I’d imagine they’ll try not to break him too much by overplaying him before the summer

I wouldn't put much stock in Cloete either. He's headless and a bit of a penalty machine. Would rather have JOD at 6, POM at 7 and GC at 8 v Leinster.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,685 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

POM will start I'd imagine given his suspension

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,339 ✭✭✭✭phog

It will be interesting to see who the IRFU amake available from both sides for the final, Murray starting on Saturday and playing the bones of 80mins might rule him out yet he missed out on 2 matches in the 6Ns, POM could and should be available and CJ is as such a free agent now but I'm with Thomond here, I think he'll be rested in the hope we get into a final 8 of the H/cup. Killer would have been available but his HIA might rule him out.

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭CONSI

phog wrote: »
    It will be interesting to see who the IRFU amake available from both sides for the final, Murray starting on Saturday and playing the bones of 80mins might rule him out yet he missed out on 2 matches in the 6Ns, POM could and should be available and CJ is as such a free agent now but I'm with Thomond here, I think he'll be rested in the hope we get into a final 8 of the H/cup. Killer would have been available but his HIA might rule him out.

Play who we can, season could be over in 2 weeks if results go against us..we have to win the pro14..europe is a tough tough ask

How on earth can you think munster won't go full whack at this. Cj stander could go his entire munster career without a trophy that's appauling for this club a win this week is vital

How on earth can you think munster won't go full whack at this. Cj stander could go his entire munster career without a trophy that's appauling for this club a win this week is vital

It's not Munster's decision. Some posters on here need to see the bigger picture at play.

Maybe I'll be shown to be wrong but the idea of a starting international making 4/5 starts in 4/5 weeks would fly in the face of previous seasons. CJ might be an exception due to his retirement but I cannot see someone like Tadhg Beirne being involved after he started all five Ireland matches.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,308 ✭✭✭✭.ak

I’d be delighted if ye start the likes of Kilcoyne, Beirne, Stander etc

Lots of tired bodies for our lads to run at. :pac:

Advertisement