Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Munster Team Talk Thread - Beirne After Reading

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Diarmuid Barron 2021
    Kevin O'Byrne 2022
    Rhys Marshall 2021
    Niall Scannell 2023

Scott Buckley Year 1
    Eoghan Clarke Year 3

James Cronin 2021
    James French 2022
    Dave Kilcoyne 2023
    Liam O'Connor 2022
    Jeremy Loughman 2022

Josh Wycherley Year 3

Stephen Archer 2022
    Keynan Knox 2022
    John Ryan 2022
    Roman Salanoa 2022

Tadhg Beirne 2022
    Jean Kleyn 2022
    RG Snyman 2022
    Fineen Wycherley 2021

Thomas Ahern Year 3
    Paddy Kelly Year 2
    Eoin O'Connor Year 2

Gavin Coombes 2023
    Chris Cloete 2022
    John Hodnett 2023
    Tommy O'Donnell 2021
    Jack O'Donoghue 2023
    Peter O'Mahony 2023
    Jack O'Sullivan 2023

Jack Daly Year 3
    Alex Kendellen Year 1

Craig Casey 2023
    Neil Cronin 2023
    Nick McCarthy 2021
    Conor Murray 2022

Joey Carbery 2022
    Jake Flannery 2022
    Ben Healy 2022

Jack Crowley Year 1

Damian de Allende 2022
    Chris Farrell 2022
    Dan Goggin 2022
    Alex McHenry 2022
    Rory Scannell 2023

Andrew Conway 2023
    Liam Coombes 2022
    Shane Daly 2023
    Keith Earls 2022
    Seán French 2022
    Matt Gallagher 2022
    Mike Haley 2023
    Calvin Nash 2023

Jonathan Wren Year 3

2021/22 NIEs:
    RG Snyman (capped), Damian de Allende (capped)

IN:
    OUT: Billy Holland (LK, retirement), CJ Stander (BR, retirement), JJ Hanrahan (FH, Clermont Auvergne), Darren Sweetnam (WG, La Rochelle)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,812 ✭✭✭Jump_In_Jack

yerrahbah wrote: »
    https://www.munsterrugby.ie/2021/03/29/jj-hanrahan-move-confirmed/

JJ confirmed.

Sounds like there wasn't a contract there for him

I read that more like they couldn't hold on to him due to budget constraints, not that they didn't offer him anything, more they couldn't compete with the type of money he could get elsewhere.

Darren Sweetnam has departed the province to link up with La Rochelle for the remainder of the season.

The 27-year-old has completed his time with Munster Rugby having requested an early release from his contract to join the Top 14 outfit as a medical joker.

Sweetnam made 92 appearances for the province, scoring 22 tries, while on the international front he represented Ireland on three occasions and scored a try on his first start against Fiji in November 2017.

Commenting on the move, Head Coach Johann van Graan said, “Like JJ, we were eager to retain the services of Darren beyond the current campaign, but it hasn’t been feasible.

“He is a hugely talented player who has a chance to play in the premier French competition over the coming months and while we are disappointed to see him leave, we are supportive of the move with the hope of Darren securing future opportunities and success in his career.”

https://www.munsterrugby.ie/2021/03/29/la-rochelle-move-for-sweetnam/#post

Those quotes would suggest there isn't a possibility of a deal at Munster at the end of Sweetnam's loan.

https://www.munsterrugby.ie/2021/03/29/la-rochelle-move-for-sweetnam/#post

Those quotes would suggest there isn't a possibility of a deal at Munster at the end of Sweetnam's loan.

Yeah, sounds like they would have liked to have offered him something much less than what he was used to and they knew he wouldn't have accepted it.
    They have Daly, Gallagher, Nash, Coombes, French and possibly Wren, so they are stacked with young outside backs, and Sweetnam would have been on more money than any of those guys I'd imagine.
    And they are all behind Earls, Conway and Haley, so can't really justify paying above the odds for backup options with the hit to the budget since Covid.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,366 ✭✭✭yerrahbah

I read that more like they couldn't hold on to him due to budget constraints, not that they didn't offer him anything, more they couldn't compete with the type of money he could get elsewhere.

Sounds like there wasn't a contract there for him... due to cutbacks

I mean I'm sure Munster could have offered him something, but probably not market value

This line sticks out for me

Commenting on his departure JJ Hanrahan said, “It was difficult to hear the news regarding my future with Munster Rugby

• Advertisement

Do we have Stander for the Rainbow Cup?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

Much like with JJ, you'd wish him all the best. Some stand out moments like the try in the Maori game, and the try-saving tackle against Glasgow in the Axel game.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

Do we have Stander for the Rainbow Cup?

Yep, contracted til June.

Standout memory of Sweetnam,

Just a shame they scored a try a minute later :o

https://twitter.com/threeredkings/status/1011902842347642880

• Advertisement

yerrahbah wrote: »

Remember that one well, left Lowe for dead, and still had enough time to kick and ground it.
    Always doubted Lowe's pace since then.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,810 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

Is that 44 players in the 1st team squad for next season as it stands? Wonder how many of the 6 left to sign will sign? Would have thought a few would be going but would be a bit of a drop and doesnt seem to be any talk of bringing in many new players. Guess they might be trying to cut down outgoings.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,339 ✭✭✭✭phog

On the final - we never landed a blow, we were lucky to be 6 all at halftime and could never get a foothold in the second half. I think the game came too early for us to get any value from Joey but he was the only outhalf that we could use in the hope of beating Leinster.

On JJ and Darren, I think both of them have got great clubs to move to and the very best of luck to them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,592 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

Next season will probably see the emergence of either Knox or Salanoa. Ryan and Archer are getting on in age and are out of contract next year. What's the story with Ethan Clarke? Is he rated?
    I hope everything goes well for Sweetnam and jj. I think Sweetnam will benefit under ROG. Who knows he may continue his career in France. I think jj will do very well at Clermont. Best of luck to both of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Jenkins on the way as rumoured, it seems.

https://www.the42.ie/jason-jenkins-munster-5394809-Mar2021/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭Lost Ormond

Dubinusa wrote: »
    Next season will probably see the emergence of either Knox or Salanoa. Ryan and Archer are getting on in age and are out of contract next year. What's the story with Ethan Clarke? Is he rated?
    I hope everything goes well for Sweetnam and jj. I think Sweetnam will benefit under ROG. Who knows he may continue his career in France. I think jj will do very well at Clermont. Best of luck to both of them.

Eoghan Clarke the hooker or Ethan Coughlan the scrum half?

Buer wrote: »
    Jenkins on the way as rumoured, it seems.

https://www.the42.ie/jason-jenkins-munster-5394809-Mar2021/

Strange either way if snyman is leaving Id probably prefer beirne ahern wytcherly if the replacement isint equally world class

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

If Snyman is staying (and I certainly haven't seen any suggestion he's leaving), this can't bode well for Ahern's game time next season. It'll be hard to see JVG selecting him in the 23 with Beirne, Snyman, Kleyn and Jenkins all there.

No issue with a foreign signing, I just think they'd benefit far more from a strong option in the front row where there's room for improvement in all the positions right now when it comes to the 23.

Unless we are losing a 2nd row then that doesn't make much sense to me.

We don't have money to keep JJ or Sweetnam but have money to bring in another 2nd row

• Registered Users Posts: 1,517 ✭✭✭Pepp1989

Beirne to 6 i would imagine. Jenkins replacing cj as such.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,137 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

Pepp1989 wrote: »
    Beirne to 6 i would imagine. Jenkins replacing cj as such.
    That would be my thought too. Beirne 6, Coombes 8.

I don't get this from Munster's POV and even less from the IRFU's POV.
    I'd much rather money was used towards a hooker or tighthead prop where there is a gap in quality.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,106 ✭✭✭✭ Gary Moldy Memory

Hopefully Leinster are signing Ahern :D

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,137 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

Reading the article, I'd take it with a pinch of salt until there are more sources reporting it. It starts off saying Munster are set to sign Jenkins. Then the last line is 'if the deal is officially confirmed'. So in other words it's the usual clip bait 42 article based on nothing other than speculation.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,748 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

if Munster are allowed to have two NIEs locks in the one squad by nucifora, then Leinster should be onto Brodie Retallicks agent quick sharp to replace Fardy !!

:D

• Administrators Posts: 54,009 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Someone must be leaving or else they've changed the rules again.

Unless he can also play in the front row he's not really that smart a signing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,327 ✭✭✭theVersatile

If he turns out to be a Taute style signing who sticks around for a year an a half, adds some much needed quality, and then makes way - then I don't see the problem.

If Aherne is really the real deal - then he'll leap frog him like Casey leap frogged Mccarthy - same applies to Whycherley.
    awec wrote: »
    Unless he can also play in the front row he's not really that smart a signing.

We've atleast four contracted front rows in every position?

• Administrators Posts: 54,009 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

If he turns out to be a Taute style signing who sticks around for a year an a half, adds some much needed quality, and then makes way - then I don't see the problem.

If Aherne is really the real deal - then he'll leap frog him like Casey leap frogged Mccarthy - same applies to Whycherley.

And many of them are mince.

Second row must be one of the strongest positions at Munster. Beirne, Snyman, Kleyn.

Not at hooker. Only Scannell and KOB are signed up. Barron and Marshall's situation are to be confirmed, as well as Clarke from the academy.

At TH there are four players signed up. Knox and Salanoa will hopefully be the answer and they've been unfortunate with spells out injured but if a better starter could be signed tomorrow I'd be all for it.

Fineen's situation is unconfirmed at this point too and I'd wonder where his opportunities will come if Jenkins signs. I think he was in line to benefit the most from Holland's retirement, with Ahern still just 21 and probably not yet ready for regular matches.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,853 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

Munster have one genuinely International Standard FR - Kilcoyne.

Ryan was at that level , but looks to have slid back this season.

The rest are average Pro14 standard at best.

I'd agree with AWEC , if Munster are looking to sign another NIQ player , an experienced International standard Tight-head should be top of the list.

The only way signing that guy makes any kind of sense is if Snyman is heading home.

If true, I'd understand his decision on a personal level - Lockdown in Ireland and not able to play can't have been any fun at all.

However , it would have to go down as a disastrous waste of money and effort for Munster.

Advertisement