Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Munster Team Talk Thread - Beirne After Reading

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,339 ✭✭✭✭phog

Rumours in Limerick this evening is that Ian Costelloe is returning home to Limerick and Munster to manage the academy for Munster. I think that's a great move if true.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭Lost Ormond

phog wrote: »
    Rumours in Limerick this evening is that Ian Costelloe is returning home to Limerick and Munster to manage the academy for Munster. I think that's a great move if true.

Would be an interesting move if true. Has good experience at a few levels in Munster having coached in AIL with Bohs, Kilpeople in the junior leagues, Ard Scoil at schools level.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭leakyboots

Season isn't over yet lads

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭The Inbetween is mine

CJ & Beirne made the official 6 nations team of the season which isn't too bad.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,137 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

phog wrote: »
    The story is coming from the Indo. https://www.independent.ie/sport/rugby/munster-rugby/wasps-coach-costello-emerges-as-leading-candidate-for-munster-role-40261184.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,339 ✭✭✭✭phog

Maybe, the guy that WhatsApped me didn't mention the Indo and I don't read it so not really sure if it's the same source or not

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

That is excellent news if true, Cossy was already one of the best coaches about before he went overseas and his time away can only have helped him improve.

Interesting marker of how attractive that job is too, he’d have a fair amount of choice (obviously the chance to return home during a pandemic can’t be under appreciated).

• Academy hooker Eoghan Clarke finishing with Munster and has signed with Jersey Reds for next season

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,106 ✭✭✭✭ Gary Moldy Memory

sydthebeat wrote: »
    rugby turned professional in 1995-1996

Munster reached their first HC final in 1999

Its exactly that "excellent pack and controlling half backs" that formed the munster rugby identity. There was literally nothing there beforehand.

so you cant say the success achieved by that team was without identity as it was created by them

every team since has been working under the shadow of that period

I really don't know what the word 'identity' means in these sentences. Winning rugby matches with really good players is not an identity.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

I really don't know what the word 'identity' means in these sentences. Winning rugby matches with really good players is not an identity.

Identity in sport is the words or phrase your marketing department put on the collar of your jersey. Everyone knows that!

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 41,748 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Well if you don't know what identity or ethos means in relation to a sports team, then perhaps you shouldn't be saying what it's not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,106 ✭✭✭✭ Gary Moldy Memory

Identity in sport is the words or phrase your marketing department put on the collar of your jersey. Everyone knows that!

This seems to be about the long and short of it.
    sydthebeat wrote: »
    Well if you don't know what identity or ethos means in relation to a sports team, then perhaps you shouldn't be saying what it's not.

How about you explain then? Is it just Munster who have an identity/ethos? Leinster are a much more successful team, what's Leinster's identity?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,812 ✭✭✭Jump_In_Jack

In my humble opinion, I believe Munster have a very well-defined identity and ethos actually.
    Stand Up and Fight is the club's main anthem.
    Also The Fields of Athenry gets sung a lot.
    We are often the underdog, we're a small population, we're an even smaller rugby player base than most other clubs and that's part of the charm.
    The players always do their best to perform as best they can to reward their fans for their support.
    It's a very well-supported club, it's a community oriented club, and a welcoming club for foreign players to integrate into.
    It's not about win or lose, it's about effort, never give in attitude, and fight to the end of every match.
    We won't always have the best or most talented players, we make the most of what we have, play like a team not as individuals.
    There is plenty of character in this current squad, and it has been like that since the amateur days.
    There is and always has been a lot of pride in the jersey, and long may it continue.
    Good things are only a small step away, just need a better performance on the big days, the players are well capable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,621 ✭✭✭snotboogie

In my humble opinion, I believe Munster have a very well-defined identity and ethos actually.
    Stand Up and Fight is the club's main anthem.
    Also The Fields of Athenry gets sung a lot.
    We are often the underdog, we're a small population, we're an even smaller rugby player base than most other clubs and that's part of the charm.
    The players always do their best to perform as best they can to reward their fans for their support.
    It's a very well-supported club, it's a community oriented club, and a welcoming club for foreign players to integrate into.
    It's not about win or lose, it's about effort, never give in attitude, and fight to the end of every match.
    We won't always have the best or most talented players, we make the most of what we have, play like a team not as individuals.
    There is plenty of character in this current squad, and it has been like that since the amateur days.
    There is and always has been a lot of pride in the jersey, and long may it continue.
    Good things are only a small step away, just need a better performance on the big days, the players are well capable.

Maybe against Leinster that is true but we have a much bigger player base and population than the vast majority of Pro 14 teams. Even in the Premiership or Top 14 we'd be middle of the road. A lot of the "Munster mythology" lies somewhere between waffle and total BS.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,327 ✭✭✭theVersatile

• Registered Users Posts: 3,812 ✭✭✭Jump_In_Jack

snotboogie wrote: »
    Maybe against Leinster that is true but we have a much bigger player base and population than the vast majority of Pro 14 teams. Even in the Premiership or Top 14 we'd be middle of the road. A lot of the "Munster mythology" lies somewhere between waffle and total BS.

To win trophies we generally come up against clubs with bigger player bases and more spending power, that's what I meant by often underdogs.

The general Pro12/14/16 clubs and other leagues will have a lot of clubs with the same or less than Munster, but to be in the top 8 teams in Europe is good going for Munster, I think we are punching above our weight most years, and a lot of that stems from the club's identity and ethos, it's a huge motivating factor to put on a Munster jersey on big days and try your best to live up to the standards expected of a Munster player.

We're not the only club like this either by the way, but we're very lucky that we have a continuing history of performance in Europe and in the Celtic League/ProXX over the years.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,327 ✭✭✭theVersatile

https://www.ultimaterugby.com/news/2020%2F21-pro14-dream-team-named/638514

O'Byrne, Holland and De Allende in the Pro14 Dream Team

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,853 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

I was expecting a few more to be added - Potentially makes for a very small official academy next year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Quin_Dub wrote: »
    I was expecting a few more to be added - Potentially makes for a very small official academy next year.

Perhaps I'm reading it wrong, but it looks like those two are in the academy already and that 2020/21 will count as a season for them.

Ultimately, Munster have 46 players under contract and a few of those are players who would still be in the academy next season (Hodnett, Flannery, Crowley) but have been promoted early. We probably won't see too many additions for 2021/22.

• Administrators Posts: 54,009 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

I wonder how quickly the JVG slander would u-turn if Munster beat Toulouse at the weekend

Is there a trophy for that?

Munster will win nothing with JVG. I'll stand by that.

The big difference between Leinster and Munster right now is if Munster win next week it'll be portrayed as something massive. We'll be hearing about passion, pride, whatever else. Munster beat a French team at home, fortress Thomond. History made again. A team on the up.

If Leinster were to be playing and beat Toulouse next week it would be a win. Onto the next game. No trophies won at this stage of the season.

IMO Munster are still too happy to dine out on individual results.

• Advertisement

awec wrote: »
    The big difference between Leinster and Munster right now is if Munster win next week it'll be portrayed as something massive. We'll be hearing about passion, pride, whatever else. Munster beat a French team at home, fortress Thomond. History made again. A team on the up.

If Leinster were to be playing and beat Toulouse next week it would be a win. Onto the next game. No trophies won at this stage of the season.

Is it Munster or the media who will do the pashun stuff and 'dine out' on the results though?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 891 ✭✭✭sebdavis

To win trophies we generally come up against clubs with bigger player bases and more spending power, that's what I meant by often underdogs.

The general Pro12/14/16 clubs and other leagues will have a lot of clubs with the same or less than Munster, but to be in the top 8 teams in Europe is good going for Munster, I think we are punching above our weight most years, and a lot of that stems from the club's identity and ethos, it's a huge motivating factor to put on a Munster jersey on big days and try your best to live up to the standards expected of a Munster player.

We're not the only club like this either by the way, but we're very lucky that we have a continuing history of performance in Europe and in the Celtic League/ProXX over the years.

Come on now, Munster should be seen as one of the biggest if not the biggest club in the ProXX. In terms of rival you have Leinster but every Leinster fan would love to have a purpose build stadium like Thomond etc.

In terms of bigger player base and more spending power that is clearly not true. Yes Leinster have it, but what other clubs in ProXX? Which other Pro14 province could bring in Syman & DDL?

Munster is a huge club, one of the biggest in the World, it is known all over the World in rugby circles. Ok they might not have the biggest budget in the World but they still play in a competition each year with clubs who look on at what Munster have available to them.

The fact is since Munster last won, Connacht, Glasgow & Scarlet have won the ProXX competition and they have smaller player base, smaller budget, etc etc. Any fan I know would not say Munster is punching above it weight, they should be winning trophies, they should be in the last stages of Europe every season. That is what the club should be looking for as a base.

It seems a few fans on here are happy with mediocrity.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,621 ✭✭✭snotboogie

A big part of the reason we have been competitive against bigger English and French teams is because they take their home leagues a lot more seriously than we do. We get to build towards Europe and they have to fit it in around packed domestic schedules. If we played week in week out in England or France we'd be about mid table. We are not a top 8 team in Europe.

The "pulling on the red jersey with pure pashun" "shure were just a small town club rugby team who'll always be competitive punching above our weight" stuff is just waffle that is probably counter productive.

sebdavis wrote: »

I haven't read a happy Munster fan on here for quite a while but do continue your strawmanning.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,137 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

Munster under JVG will win just as much as Ulster will under McFarland. The simple fact is that Leinster are better. Munster though while regularly losing to Leinster, rarely get hammered. Unlike all the other teams in the league. Is that good enough? No it isn't, but that's simply the way it is.

I have to say though, you seem to have a very strange bee in your bonnet recently about Munster.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 925 ✭✭✭mun1

Come on now, Munster should be seen as one of the biggest if not the biggest club in the ProXX. In terms of rival you have Leinster but every Leinster fan would love to have a purpose build stadium like Thomond etc.

In terms of bigger player base and more spending power that is clearly not true. Yes Leinster have it, but what other clubs in ProXX? Which other Pro14 province could bring in Syman & DDL?

Munster is a huge club, one of the biggest in the World, it is known all over the World in rugby circles. Ok they might not have the biggest budget in the World but they still play in a competition each year with clubs who look on at what Munster have available to them.

The fact is since Munster last won, Connacht, Glasgow & Scarlet have won the ProXX competition and they have smaller player base, smaller budget, etc etc. Any fan I know would not say Munster is punching above it weight, they should be winning trophies, they should be in the last stages of Europe every season. That is what the club should be looking for as a base.

A lot of Leinsterboys on here (the munster thread) seem quiet indignant that munster fans aren’t more upset.
    “We demand to see your tears !”

Maybe most of us have moved on to focus on the next match just like the team ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭PMC83

Come on now, Munster should be seen as one of the biggest if not the biggest club in the ProXX..

They shouldn't though, because they are not, nor have they been for some time. People need to get over the team that they were 15 years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,366 ✭✭✭yerrahbah

The difference between leinster and munster is population and the spending power of leinster schools

• Advertisement

Munster are one of the biggest clubs in the pro 14 were currently second to one of the best purple patches any european team has had and we've been consistently better than the rest of the league

2nd is not mediocrity

No fans are happy to not be winning trophy's you can acknowledge that were not the southern kings while still not being happy about our trophy record

Your either talking out your hoop of trolling

Advertisement