Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Munster Team Talk Thread - Beirne After Reading

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

I don't think so tbh. It was only two weeks between CJ's announcement and the Jenkins signing being confirmed. That's not enough time for an end to end signing process. Either Munster were well advanced with Jenkins already thinking they'd have both next season, or CJ leaving was well flagged before the news broke and not really a bombshell. The latter would be my guess.

CJ said at the time he’d told the bigwigs his decision a while ago, it was just a bombshell to team mates etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 891 ✭✭✭sebdavis

The reality is that Munster haven't produced enough players during the years where those players would be 25-28 now. Some of those players had injury issues that ruined their development (John Madigan comes to mind). So Munster had to supplement the squad over the last few years with Marshall, Loughman, Cloete etc.

Munster have just promoted nine players to the seniors. Three of those players hadn't finished their three academy seasons. We are letting go a group of older players to make that happen.

I'd like to think that "Munster don't produce enough players" is not a conversation to be had in 2-3 years time.

What have Munster done to change it so that in 2-3 years time it will not be a conversation?
    Based on everything I am hearing they are doing nothing. The current mantra seems to be run up to Leinster or SA to get players in, instead of putting a long term plan in place. Now Maybe I am wrong but a number of people including Lenihan has said the same.

The Munster are not producing players is going on nearly 5 years now, what has changed in that 5 years?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

sebdavis wrote: »
    What have Munster done to change it so that in 2-3 years time it will not be a conversation?
    Based on everything I am hearing they are doing nothing. The current mantra seems to be run up to Leinster or SA to get players in, instead of putting a long term plan in place. Now Maybe I am wrong but a number of people including Lenihan has said the same.

The Munster are not producing players is going on nearly 5 years now, what has changed in that 5 years?

They've promoted nine players in one go to the seniors. Are you just not reading?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭Lost Ormond

mun1 wrote: »
    Munster definitely need to get more players from limerick into the system. It good to see Waterford, west cork and tipp player coming through but limerick should be the second biggest player pool and has 9 rugby clubs playing underage and four schools in the county.
    It can only improve munster.

I’m coaching an underage team in the city and the munster RDO’s only seem to want to look at schools players as they can help condition them 5 days a week (and not work weekends ;) ). Fair enough to concentrate on schools as you have access to players more often, but the club players are mostly totally ignored, with munster losing out.

Strong whiff of xenophobia from Murray kinsellas articles lately . I would like to see an all locally produced munster team as much as anyone but signing Jenkins is not going to stop Ahern getting game time experience. Murray and jackman seem to be picking on the Jenkins story a bit too much. Jackman has some form for this type of hubris but surprised at Murray kinsella .
    His more reasonable points are in danger of being lost.

All Irish provinces have imports of one form or another, just because Leinster are just about self sustainable at this point in time (but still rely on one or two imports) doesn’t mean its a sin if other provinces need more support.

Regarding Toulouse game tomorrow, don’t expect to win but could do without scannell talking tough to the media with comments like “ coming out swinging”
    I’d prefer if he concentrated on not giving away too many penalties in the match and keep his trap shut.
    Not all of those Limerick clubs are fielding at older age groups as many of their players are cup tied and playing schools rugby on their 1st/2nd teams at senior level.
    The development officers are far from just interested in schools rugby from my experience, they are going into clubs and helping coach coaches
    And i wouldnt call what Murray Kinsella's been saying as xenophobia.

Promoted lot of younger players to senior set up. The academy has improved and underage development squads - u18 clubs/schools and u19 - are doing better and club and schoo competitions are much stronger than in past...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,134 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

If only the authorities mixed up the Tous and Toulouse had to pull out rather than Toulon. Leinster can be so jammy!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,592 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

Would the academy promotions be due to the funding situation? It's great to see the lads promoted and I can't wait to see them play. But, I doubt if Jenkins is a lad that will teach Ahern. I would expect Beirne and Kleyn to be the lads he would look up too. I would surprised if Ahern is better than Jenkins. Ahern is a massive talent and I think a future international. I also think that Ahern will leapfrog Kleyn fairly soon. I may be putting too much faith in Ahern.He certainly is a major prospect.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭The Inbetween is mine

Young Karl Martin is heading from Leinster to Montpellier... sometimes the youth system doesn't always work out...players want a better contract, more money, whatever their reasons are...
    Think we might see a bit more of this happening in the next 12 months... Financial well-being over the chance of getting capped, remains to be seen

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,106 ✭✭✭✭ Gary Moldy Memory

Caranica wrote: »
    If only the authorities mixed up the Tous and Toulouse had to pull out rather than Toulon. Leinster can be so jammy!

Cmon. Absolutely no one is happy about this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,134 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

Cmon. Absolutely no one is happy about this.

Tell that to the gloating mob on social media!

• Advertisement

Caranica wrote: »
    Tell that to the gloating mob on social media!

To be fair social media are barely real people I certainly wouldn't look there for what the concensus is

• Subscribers Posts: 41,748 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

As a famous idiot once said "twitter is the playground of idiots"...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,952 ✭✭✭TRC10

sydthebeat wrote: »
    As a famous idiot once said "twitter is the playground of idiots"...

I wouldn't quite call Noel Gallagher an idiot

• Closed Accounts Posts: 891 ✭✭✭sebdavis

mun1 wrote: »
    Munster definitely need to get more players from limerick into the system. It good to see Waterford, west cork and tipp player coming through but limerick should be the second biggest player pool and has 9 rugby clubs playing underage and four schools in the county.
    It can only improve munster .

I’m coaching an underage team in the city and the munster RDO’s only seem to want to look at schools players as they can help condition them 5 days a week (and not work weekends ;) ). Fair enough to concentrate on schools as you have access to players more often, but the club players are mostly totally ignored, with munster losing out.

Strong whiff of xenophobia from Murray kinsellas articles lately . I would like to see an all locally produced munster team as much as anyone but signing Jenkins is not going to stop Ahern getting game time experience. Murray and jackman seem to be picking on the Jenkins story a bit too much. Jackman has some form for this type of hubris but surprised at Murray kinsella .
    His more reasonable points are in danger of being lost.

All Irish provinces have imports of one form or another , just because Leinster are just about self sustainable at this point in time (but still rely on one or two imports) doesn’t mean its a sin if other provinces need more support.

Regarding Toulouse game tomorrow, don’t expect to win but could do without scannell talking tough to the media with comments like “ coming out swinging”
    I’d prefer if he concentrated on not giving away too many penalties in the match and keep his trap shut.

It has nothing to do with xenophobia. I see you pick out Kinsella but mention nothing about Lenihan who was every more upset about the signing when he spoke about it. Of all the media I think the majority of Irish supporters would say Kinsella is one of the best so no point throwing insults at the guys because you don't want to hear the truth......

Would you not think some more money might be worth spending on young players and promotion than on SA imports as Lenihan suggested?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,327 ✭✭✭theVersatile

you don't want to hear the truth......

Would you not think some more money might be worth spending on young players and promotion than on SA imports as Lenihan suggested?

How can you pull that line while continuing to ignore Thomond continuously pointing out the nine academy players promoted to senior contracts for next season?

FWIW, I agree calling Murray a xenophobe is a fairly wild accusation by all standards - but the "bleh South Africans blocking development" narrative is a bandwagon at this point which has been run into the ground.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭Must love hardship

How can you pull that line while continuing to ignore Thomond continuously pointing out the nine academy players promoted to senior contracts for next season?

FWIW, I agree calling Murray a xenophobe is a fairly wild accusation by all standards - but the "bleh South Africans blocking development" narrative is a bandwagon at this point which has been run into the ground.

I disagree with your last point. Maybe people have a point in relation to the south africian influx? Maybe the only thing run into the ground and flogged is munsters reliance on foreign south africian imports.

In the years since munster last won a trophy They have signed about a dozen south africans to go along with the south african coaching staff they had.
    Have any of the 4 or 5 second rows been an improvement on munsters irish produced 2nd rows??(injuries aside)

Investing in homegrown talents gives a better return on your investment if munster were interested in investing in a long term project...

• Registered Users Posts: 11,790 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

With Champions Cup looking like 4 Pool games again, and Pro16 down to 18 regular season games, that 6 less games.

Munster claiming Jenkins will assist others in Development is utter nonsense. He is a 25 year old with 1 cap. It smacks of desperation to win a trophy next season and not to worry about beyond that.

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭JimmyCorkhill

Do Munster have any front row and backrowers coming through that will be of the quality of Munster teams of old?

Losing Stander is a big loss, Jack O'Donoghue at 27 is a good solid player but a step down from Stander & not a good enough starting backrower if you want to win trophies.
    O'Mahoney shouldnt of gotten that two year contract recently either and wont be the difference either when it comes to winning trophies.

Coombes looks exciting and Beirne will no doubt be in the backrow too.
    Is there anyone else that could be a Foley or Wallace coming through?

Hodnett looked good undersage for Ireland, dynamic, maybe a bit small. But is he likely to be the same level as your Jack O'Sullivan or Tommy O'Donnell - good but not good enough to win you trophies?

I was really rooting for Munster to beat Leinster the last day, but it really showed the gulf in the quality of players. While there may be question marks from Munster fans over JVG, some of the forwards are really not good enough.

Burkie1203 wrote: »
    With Champions Cup looking like 4 Pool games again, and Pro16 down to 18 regular season games, that 6 less games.

Munster claiming Jenkins will assist others in Development is utter nonsense. He is a 25 year old with 1 cap. It smacks of desperation to win a trophy next season and not to worry about beyond that.

Except the same thing happened with Arno Botha and Gavin Coombes.

I'm not denying that part of this is "win now" but let's not use phrases like "utter nonsense". It smacks of an axe to grind.

If players aren't ready to play 15-20 games a season, they're not ready. Ahern turned 21 in February. Looking at weight stats, he's 2 stone lighter than Ryan Baird and James Ryan.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,790 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

Except the same thing happened with Arno Botha and Gavin Coombes.

I'm not denying that part of this is "win now" but let's not use phrases like "utter nonsense". It smacks of an axe to grind.

If players aren't ready to play 15-20 games a season, they're not ready. Ahern turned 21 in February. Looking at weight stats, he's 2 stone lighter than Ryan Baird and James Ryan.

The notion that Jenkins will aid the development of players is utter nonsense

"He is covering back row first and he’ll offer experience to anyone and everyone in this team in whatever position he plays in or any other position in the back five in that forward pack."

"I think he is going to be immense for these young guys, particularly Thomas Ahern and Fineen, he’s going to be immense for their growth,’ added Larkham

Snyman
    Kleyn
    Beirne

Like what will Jenkins be able to do in 12 months that the above 3 won't be able to?

• Advertisement

Go ask Nucifora. He green lit it.

We've two back five players in Snyman and Hodnett coming off a long term injury. Beirne's minutes will be restricted if he's called up to the Lions and Ireland. Coombes will be hoping to get into the Ireland picture. POM is already in the Ireland picture.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

The notion that Jenkins will aid the development of players is utter nonsense

"He is covering back row first and he’ll offer experience to anyone and everyone in this team in whatever position he plays in or any other position in the back five in that forward pack."

"I think he is going to be immense for these young guys, particularly Thomas Ahern and Fineen, he’s going to be immense for their growth,’ added Larkham

Snyman
    Kleyn
    Beirne

Like what will Jenkins be able to do in 12 months that the above 3 won't be able to?

Play. Beirne will be away with Ireland. Snyman is still currently injured. Add in Billy Holland and CJ are retiring.

He’s there as cover for one season to allow the younger lads develop more.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Have you watched Jenkins play?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,135 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

aloooof wrote: »

He’s there as cover for one season to allow the younger lads develop more.

While at the same time holding them back from developing...

Edit: to clarify, this is a good signing and I've no issue with it, but let's call it what it is.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

While at the same time holding them back from developing...

Edit: to clarify, this is a good signing and I've no issue with it, but let's call it what it is.

Not exactly. Development doesn’t just come in the form of matches e.g. physical development.

• Registered Users Posts: 780 ✭✭✭Kirk Van Houten

Amazing how many fans from the other provinces are on this thread with in depth knowledge of Jenkins, the Munster academy and player development pathways and are also able to see into the future and how Jenkins personally will hold back so many players.

I look forward to the stories of how Jenkins steals the academy players boots, cuts the brake lines on the cars of the development players and scares Ahern into moving to Leinster to keep Franno happy.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,450 ✭✭✭Wegians89

Wycherley is what 23 now? Surely he’s developed enough now to step up the game time. If it was two players at 20/21 you could see the point in a player coming in for a season to tie them over for a year but not backing Wycherley at 23 doesn’t look good at all

Wegians89 wrote: »
    Wycherley is what 23 now? Surely he’s developed enough now to step up the game time. If it was two players at 20/21 you could see the point in a player coming in for a season to tie them over for a year but not backing Wycherley at 23 doesn’t look good at all

He has over 50 caps what do you mean not backing him?

To be clear I don't like the jenkins signing i think most of the munster fans of spoken to don't but the whole munster aren't bringing through their own talent thing is being way overblow there have been huge improvements with this over the last few years

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,450 ✭✭✭Wegians89

He has over 50 caps what do you mean not backing him?

Exactly my point he isn’t young or inexperienced. Van grann used him as an example of a player Jenkins will help to develop. Wycherley should have been backed to step up to that 23 with Kleyn, Snyman and Beirne rather than bring in another journey man to tie Munster over while “younger players develop”

Advertisement