Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Munster Team Talk Thread - Beirne After Reading

Comments

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,856 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

FrannoFan wrote: »
    I have a feeling the interpro rainbow cup games will be sort of A selection and then wheel out the big names for the SA fixtures

It'll be a mix - If they wait for the SA games , some guys might have gone 6-8 weeks or more without any rugby.

And that's if the SA games go ahead - Nothing actually scheduled as yet.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,137 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

yerrahbah wrote: »
    Ya its just with a lot of fringe players they wouldn't have played since the 19th March, and assuming Munster go relatively full strength against Leinster then they wont play again until the 8th of May vs Ulster

I guess that's just the nature of this season.
    Munster won't be going full strength against Leinster (or possibly anyone). JVG has said they'll be rotating heavily through the competition.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭The Inbetween is mine

At the end of a long season I'd say it's the last thing the players want
    Perfect for the likes of Crowley, Ahern, O'Sullivan and a few more to be involved with some of Cloete & Conway for a little experience to be added to the pot.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,366 ✭✭✭yerrahbah

https://www.munsterrugby.ie/2021/04/06/squad-update-189/#post

Beirne out for a few weeks

POM back next week

Goggin back training

Ahern suffered a knee injury and needs to be assessed

• Registered Users Posts: 2,327 ✭✭✭theVersatile

Feck - that better not be serious.

• Advertisement

Feck - that better not be serious.

Ahern? On the Munster site they're not making too much of it at the moment...I suppose a scan will be needed and we should know more by the weekend

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,592 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

The rainbow cup should be a run for Salonoa and Knox. O'Sullivan should get plenty of minutes as should Nash and Liam Coombes. It would be smart to get the lads coming up into the starting roles. Great chance to bed them and see how they go!

The Indo reporting that Beirne will be fit for the rainbow cup

• Registered Users Posts: 1,550 ✭✭✭Downlinz

FrannoFan wrote: »
    I have a feeling the interpro rainbow cup games will be sort of A selection and then wheel out the big names for the SA fixtures

There'll only be 1 SA fixture for Munster in the 6 round format, the other 2 games will be against non-Irish pro 12 teams.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Following on from the injury update in the latest Greencore Munster Rugby Academy Update here, Thomas Ahern and Scott Buckley have both suffered knee injuries during a training game and will be further assessed this week.

whose-bright-idea.jpg

Rotten timing for both players to get injured. Fingers crossed it's nothing serious.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,790 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,712 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Wouldn't be surprised at all at the Aussies trying to get him back in the fold, when he was sacked by Cheika the union were very quick to get him a position working with the U20s and 7s as opposed to letting him go elsewhere. Obviously didn't work but there was talk at the time of him being a replacement for Cheika eventually and that's why the union tried to keep him around.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,366 ✭✭✭yerrahbah

We could do without another change in the coaching ticket right now

• Subscribers Posts: 41,751 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Loosing larkham and keeping JVG would be the biggest own goal munster could do.

First off I don't know why larkham would go to the tahs, they are a complete basket case at the moment. 4 players out of a squad of 40 with the wallabies.

Second, larkham is eminently more qualified to coach munster than JVG

sydthebeat wrote: »

First off I don't know why larkham would go to the tahs, they are a complete basket case at the moment. 4 players out of a squad of 40 with the wallabies.

Why would he go?..
    He wants to return home, he wants a new challenge
    Nothing Munster can do if he actually wants to leave...and it would be a high end wage off the books
    Calling this possiblity an own goal is just wrong

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 462 ✭✭the_blackstuff

Genuine question.
    Why is Larkham supposedly regarded such a good coach? His recent history with Australia wasn't great, they were a basket case his last few years. He's had a season here and there where the clubs he's coached were decent but no major success. Am I missing something?

Genuine question.
    Why is Larkham supposedly regarded such a good coach? His recent history with Australia wasn't great, they were a basket case his last few years. He's had a season here and there where the clubs he's coached were decent but no major success. Am I missing something?

Have you seen van graans?

Because those are the two you should be comparing

Honestly if larkham goes I'd probably be for scrapping the whole coaching staff and starting again. Not sure we can afford it so may not be viable but a new direction seems neccicary

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,856 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

Genuine question.

I think a lot of people are assuming that his obvious excellence as a player translates into a guarantee of excellence as a coach.

The two do not necessarily align

I've heard multiple people who's insight into coaches is pretty good say that he is a very good and insightful coach , but the results of the teams he's been involved with don't necessarily align with that view to date.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 462 ✭✭the_blackstuff

Have you seen van graans?

Because those are the two you should be comparing

I'm fully aware of Van Graans history as a coach. His CV is not good, his club and country coaching periods coincided with some really poor periods for both.
    I'm asking about Larkham tho because I feel I missing something. For the most part our backs are pretty good, good pedigree, most have been capped. In struggling to see any stamp being put on them from an attacking point of view.
    De Allende is being using more like a wing forward, Farrell just seems to be used to carry it up the middle. Our 2 wings are there to chase down box kicks. Does not seem to be to much inventiveness coming from Larkhams direction evident in the play

• Advertisement

What a take. One of the coaches may decide to leave to return home, and it's an own goal from Munster? An own goal is something that's self inflicted. This (if it comes to pass) couldn't in any way be construed to be self inflicted.

What a take. One of the coaches may decide to leave to return home, and it's an own goal from Munster? An own goal is something that's self inflicted. This (if it comes to pass) couldn't in any way be construed to be self inflicted.

He's contacted to 2022!!!!

If he leaves to take over the tahs then munster have to let him go. It's not strange take at all on the situation. It's a decision munster would have to make which effects themselves... So yes, self inflicted.

And no one had said that he wants to return home, a poster here offered that as a possible reason that he might leave.

Anyway, the point was that should munster be letting any coach go it's JVG, and larkham should be considered for the head coach role.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

He's contacted to 2022!!!!

If he leaves to take over the tahs then munster have to let him go. It's not strange take at all on the situation. It's a decision munster would have to make which effects themselves... So yes, self inflicted.

And no one had said that he wants to return home, a poster here offered that as a possible reason that he might leave.

Anyway, the point was that should munster be letting any coach go it's JVG, and larkham should be considered for the head coach role.

I don't think this is entirely accurate, Syd. Also from the article:
    Although he’s in contract until June 2022, the IRFU’s coaching deals include a standard break clause that Pat Lam and Rassie Erasmus triggered to secure their early release from Connacht and Munster.

I don't see how you can claim that's a decision Munster will have made if he decides to trigger that clause himself.

its a 6 month release clause.

Penny was only fired from the waratahs a week ago.

If larkham wants to return to australia to coach the waratahs, he'd have had to triggered the clause back in november.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

its a 6 month release clause.

Penny was only fired from the waratahs a week ago.

If larkham wants to return to australia to coach the waratahs, he'd have had to triggered the clause back in november.

Fair enough. It's just speculation at the moment in any case. I think it's premature to suggest it's an error on Munster's side when we don't know the specifics.

look, ive obviously no dog in this... im coming at it as an outsider.

but i find it extremely weird that munster fans look at the coaching ticket and think, well is larkham actually that good... at the same time that there seems to be a complete omerta about the quality of your head coach.

larkham has an alright CV as coach. many would say that the worst decision the ARU made was letting Cheika sack his entire backroom and remaining on himself... when they should have sacked cheika and retained the likes of larkham. Players like toomua, leiliafano , kuridrani all were developed under him. the brumbies had good consistent years with him as either head or assistant coach.. with 2 QF losses, 2 SF losses and 1 final loss in SR.

JVG has the honour of being the SA forwards coach, after being video analyst, and coaching them to a glorious loss against japan..... and a semi final bow out.

thats it... not even a rugby championship to show for himself

aloooof wrote: »
    Fair enough. It's just speculation at the moment in any case. I think it's premature to suggest it's an error on Munster's side when we don't know the specifics.

100%

thats why i said "would be"...

but i find it extremely weird that munster fans look at the coaching ticket and think, well is larkham actually that good... at the same time that there seems to be a complete omerta about the quality of your head coach.
    And this is another very strange take. Where are these Munsters fans who don't rate Larkham, but think that JVG is a great coach? You're finding things here that don't exist.

Some Munster fans (myself included) wonder what Larkham is actually bringing to the party. That does not in anyway equate to being happy with JVG. In fact you'll have to go a long way to find anyone who hasn't questioned JVG and his tactics.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 925 ✭✭✭mun1

We get it , you don’t rate JVG. And you are entitled to your opinion, but we don’t have to agree with it.

We’re having a go at you as you are saying (forget the “would be” bullsh1t) that it is somehow Munsters fault if he goes home to Australia .
    That is a weird take on a clickbait story in the indo (which should negate the story in itself.)
    It’s like something Gordon Darcy would say.

Then you drag it on by saying that every munster fan is somehow happy for JVG to stick around . Now thats weird !
    Maybe some people want to be loyal to their club and that includes the coaches ?

It’s like me saying that Leinster would be nowhere without Lancaster, who was brought in by the IRFU to bail out Cullen (after Henry)
    You could agree or disagree.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭fonecrusher1

Larkham is from Australia.

Waratahs are a NSW rugby team. In Australia.

That's probably something to do with it.

Advertisement