Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Munster Team Talk Thread - Beirne After Reading

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,135 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

But... there's no actual suggestion that he wants to leave, or that the Waratahs have tried to poach him?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 891 ✭✭✭sebdavis

But... there's no actual suggestion that he wants to leave, or that the Waratahs have tried to poach him?

It's speculation, similar to Lancaster has been named everytime a English team lets a coach go, if you check back over the few years he has been "linked" with numerous job.

If Larkham wants to go, he can go, that is the simple fact of the contracts the IRFU have. Munster can make him work out the 6 months but that would be a disaster, they will need to hire someone instead and whats the point of hiring someone while having his predecessor still in place?

That's of course if Larkham wants to go, the suggestion when he joined Munster was that the Aussies wanted him to get overseas experience. Has he got enough over two broken seasons?

In terms of his performance, some people are saying you can see the input, hard to tell but would be interesting to see if he had Carbery fit for a full season. Also is he implementing his game style or just following what Van Grann is telling him to do?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,339 ✭✭✭✭phog

yerrahbah wrote: »
    No game for the next two weekends.

It wouldn't be the worst idea to schedule an "A" game vs Connacht in that time, get some game time into the fringe players

Connacht A play Leinster A next Saturday at 13:00

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 462 ✭✭the_blackstuff

Some Munster fans (myself included) wonder what Larkham is actually bringing to the party. That does not in anyway equate to being happy with JVG. In fact you'll have to go a long way to find anyone who hasn't questioned JVG and his tactics.

That's exactly what I'm wondering. What does he bring to the team. Examples are: Paulie joins the Irish setup, immediate impact on the forwards. ROG joins the Crusaders and the impact was evident on their defensive stats very early...... that type of thing.

For the record I don't rate VG but we've been whinging about coaches for years. Who was the last backs/attack coach anyone was happy with? Felix, Mannix, Dutchy all got slaughtered by the fans

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,592 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

I wonder if Larkham leaves, would Carolan get an offet?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭Lost Ormond

Dubinusa wrote: »
    I wonder if Larkham leaves, would Carolan get an offet?

Maybe but dont see him being interested in staying in Ireland if coaching pro rugby

A lot of talk recently about whether Ronan O Gara will return to coach Munster in the future. The RTE Rugby podcast discussed this today and Donal Lenihan believes that the Munster legend will return to paraphrase him, "when time is right". Last week in his weekly column with the Examiner newspaper, ROG played down hopes for an return to the southern province by suggesting that "...Indeed, I may never have" referring to whether he will return to Munster and solve the lingering issues surrounding the JVG coached side.

What are posters thoughts about ROG and his future intentions? Is it still the opinion that the dream ticket including ROG and Paul O Connell might head the next Munster coaching ticket? Love to see this coaching ticket happen sooner rather than later. To me we really should start the discussion about Munster post JVG and thankfully that debate has started. Like many Munster fans, I believe that JVG is the clear weak link in the current Munster coaching team at present.

A lot of talk recently about whether Ronan O Gara will return to coach Munster in the future. The RTE Rugby podcast discussed this today and Donal Lenihan believes that the Munster legend will return to paraphrase him, "when time is right". Last week in his weekly column with the Examiner newspaper, ROG played down hopes for an return to the southern province by suggesting that "...Indeed, I may never have" referring to whether he will return to Munster and solve the lingering issues surrounding the JVG coached side.

What are posters thoughts about ROG and his future intentions? Is it still the opinion that the dream ticket including ROG and Paul O Connell might head the next Munster coaching ticket? Love to see this coaching ticket happen sooner rather than later. To me we really should start the discussion about Munster post JVG and thankfully that debate has started. Like many Munster fans, I believe that JVG is the clear weak link in the current Munster coaching team at present.
    Paul O Connell shouldnt be in consideration for any coaching position until there is more evidence he would be good in the role. He's been good since he joined Ireland but apart from this his coaching record isnt good enough.

I dont think we will see that coaching ticket and if we were it wont be for some time. Both ROG and POC are extremely young as coaches so have loads of time any way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,499 ✭✭✭Sabre0001

I think ROG will coach Munster if it benefits him to. He has selected roles, which have enabled him to learn from the best or coach some of the best (and with resources at their disposal).

I don't see him going to Munster any time soon with a changing of some of the old guard, current financial situation, and a powerhouse in Leinster which stands in the way of silverware and is the standard to be compared against. Maybe some of these factors would influence the time being right.

🤪

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 27,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

I suspect if ROG thinks he could go straight to the Irish job he would be happy enough to do it that way but who knows ultimately.

• Advertisement

The maturity and self awareness ROG is showing in his coaching, commentary and general candour of late bodes well for his future career as a coach.

Munster would be a big move for him, but a massive risk with significant expectation. He might just dodge the bullet altogether, but at the same time if he did take on the job and delivered it would be an extremely affirming achievement.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

ROG joined La Rochelle on a 3 year deal which expires next year at the same time JVG's contract ends.

It's hard not to see Munster contacting him at the very least regardless of how the next 12 months go for JVG.

As Venjur says though, I could well see him thinking twice about taking the gig. It's possible that Munster lose DDA, Snyman and Jenkins in 14 months as well as guys like Earls and Murray being 35 and 33 respectively. It would be a massive challenge for anyone and I think he has selected his jobs to date very carefully and cleverly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭FrannoFan

If ROG wants the irish job (which I suspect he does when he feels he is ready) he might well look at taking a provincial job. As he said himself you only get one crack at the irish job (or Munster job).
    Could well look at Leinster if it was available.
    Racing, crusaders, la rochelle up to 2nd. Be an attractive job to take on and he's spoken admiringly about the set up there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

ROG, POC and Hayes. #DreamTeam

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,106 ✭✭✭✭ Gary Moldy Memory

I'd say ROG has seen what happens to Irish coaches when their services are no longer required, they are basically discarded, and decided to get as far from that as possible for the start of his career. If he came back to Munster next season and flopped (hypothetical) he is still easily employable in France or England. I'm sure he'll coach Munster and/or Ireland at some stage but I think it'll be when he's "proven" himself, for lack of a better word, abroad first. Don't think he's won a trophy yet in Europe and hasn't had the top job yet either.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,029 ✭✭✭Yeah_Right

That's exactly what I'm wondering. What does he bring to the team. Examples are: Paulie joins the Irish setup, immediate impact on the forwards. ROG joins the Crusaders and the impact was evident on their defensive stats very early...... that type of thing.

For the record I don't rate VG but we've been whinging about coaches for years. Who was the last backs/attack coach anyone was happy with? Felix, Mannix, Dutchy all got slaughtered by the fans

That's made me think. All those back/attack coaches at Munster and no real change. Is it the players? Is it the culture?

I'd love to see Larkham get the head coach. He has such a magnificent rugby brain and has been part of some fantastic teams and set ups that had winning cultures. I don't see why Munstaer shouldn't take a punt.

Yeah_Right wrote: »
    That's made me think. All those back/attack coaches at Munster and no real change. Is it the players? Is it the culture?

I'd love to see Larkham get the head coach. He has such a magnificent rugby brain and has been part of some fantastic teams and set ups that had winning cultures. I don't see why Munstaer shouldn't take a punt.

By time you get to pro's its too late. Culture. Standard at club and age grade level not good enough... need someone to do more to assist at these levels

• Registered Users Posts: 6,029 ✭✭✭Yeah_Right

By time you get to pro's its too late. Culture. Standard at club and age grade level not good enough... need someone to do more to assist at these levels

Are you saying culture isn't important? Because I think culture can be the difference at pro level. And that it is a major factor.

Are you saying culture isn't important? Because I think culture can be the difference at pro level. And that it is a major factor.

No. Not saying that at all. How teams play at age grade, schools, clubs is helped by culture and it can be even bigger at pro level..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭FrannoFan

Keith wood on about culture on off the ball.

I know been done to death on this thread before.

Munster are trying to make that last 10% break through. It's never just one thing at that level. Changing a coach or a player rarely provides that last piece of the puzzle but usually a variety of things. Like undoubtedly a better hooker and tight head would help, likewise a coach who could react better "in game" a better bench for the final 30mins. All these will make a difference but it's rarely one thing

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 27,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

I'd say ROG has seen what happens to Irish coaches when their services are no longer required, they are basically discarded, and decided to get as far from that as possible for the start of his career. If he came back to Munster next season and flopped (hypothetical) he is still easily employable in France or England. I'm sure he'll coach Munster and/or Ireland at some stage but I think it'll be when he's "proven" himself, for lack of a better word, abroad first. Don't think he's won a trophy yet in Europe and hasn't had the top job yet either.

I don't really know what this is supposed to mean. Kidney is now the head coach of London Irish, while Lancaster was similarly shunned until he got the job at Leinster but no English team was going near him. Johnson is a full time pundit only now. EOS was head coach of the USA after Ireland, so its not like he was unemployed either.

It is not a uniquely Irish thing.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,137 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

The Larkham rumours (hopefully) put to bed.
    https://twitter.com/ChristypDoran/status/1379937289850155011

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,178 ✭✭✭Brief_Lives

Thank Fcuk.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,845 ✭✭✭shootermacg

The Larkham rumours (hopefully) put to bed.
    https://twitter.com/ChristypDoran/status/1379937289850155011

"I’m told he’s happy at Munster despite reports suggesting otherwise." WTF does that mean? I can only read this as "There are reports that he is not happy at Munster".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭The Inbetween is mine

"I’m told he’s happy at Munster despite reports suggesting otherwise." WTF does that mean? I can only6 read this as "There are reports that he is not happy at Munster".

Aussie press talking up a move home

Aussie press talking up a move home
    The tweet is literally the Aussie press talking down a move home.

"I’m told he’s happy at Munster despite reports suggesting otherwise." WTF does that mean? I can only read this as "There are reports that he is not happy at Munster".
    There have been loads of rumours that he doesn't get on with JVG. Can't say I've seen any evidence of it myself though and this pretty much puts both rumours to bed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭The Inbetween is mine

The tweet is literally the Aussie press talking down a move home.

The rumours started somewhere? I don't think the Indo had the inside track here..
    But it does seem to be much ado about nothing, even Cheika is getting mentioned these last few days and seem to have turned it down.... could be a poisoned chalice situation

• Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭Tomtom364

There have been loads of rumours that he doesn't get on with JVG. Can't say I've seen any evidence of it myself though and this pretty much puts both rumours to bed.

News to this Munster fan

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,135 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

The rumours started somewhere?

There are no rumours.

The Indo needed an article. Rob Penney got sacked so an Australian team needs a coach. Munster happen to have an Australian guy who's a coach. The story wrote itself from there.

They didn't even bother to claim 'reports from Australia' or 'sources within the Waratahs'. It's all a nonsense.

Advertisement