Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Munster Team Talk Thread - Beirne After Reading

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭FrannoFan

There are no rumours.

The Indo needed an article. Rob Penney got sacked so an Australian team needs a coach. Munster happen to have an Australian guy who's a coach. The story wrote itself from there.

They didn't even bother to claim 'reports from Australia' or 'sources within the Waratahs'. It's all a nonsense.

It's a bit like lancaster being linked with every english club rugby job.

He was "linked" with leicester last year. Why you would leave a winning set up to take over the team bottom of the premiership is beyond me but it gets clicks

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭OneLungDavy

FrannoFan wrote: »
    It's a bit like lancaster being linked with every english club rugby job.

He was "linked" with leicester last year. Why you would leave a winning set up to take over the team bottom of the premiership is beyond me but it gets clicks

I can certainly think of one reason.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭fonecrusher1

There are no rumours.

The Indo needed an article. Rob Penney got sacked so an Australian team needs a coach. Munster happen to have an Australian guy who's a coach. The story wrote itself from there.

They didn't even bother to claim 'reports from Australia' or 'sources within the Waratahs'. It's all a nonsense.

Agreed.

Initially when I seen the article I was a bit surprised / slightly unsettled but on a closer read of it there's really nothing substantial to your mans waffle at all. Its really nothing more than the usual Indo click bait. I guess it worked on me!

Total BS.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭FrannoFan

I can certainly think of one reason.

Exactly. And it's the same reason larkham will be linked with any jobs going in oz

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,134 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

Anyone know what the story is with CJ and the Late Late tomorrow. He was to be on and now word is its cancelled?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,712 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Caranica wrote: »
    Anyone know what the story is with CJ and the Late Late tomorrow. He was to be on and now word is its cancelled?

According to google rte only posted the lineup at lunchtime today, would be surprised if it was cancelled this late in the day after them saying he'd be on only a few hours ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,327 ✭✭✭theVersatile

Nick Mccarthy returning to Leinster confirmed by both provinces

• Registered Users Posts: 1,366 ✭✭✭yerrahbah

Nick Mccarthy returning to Leinster confirmed by both provinces

It never really clicked for McCarthy at Munster.

He never really looked like a guy who has featured in champions cup quarter and semi finals

He had plenty of game time this season and has looked decent, but that's about it.

Osborne (if confirmed) will probably command a lower wage

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,134 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

Like many, he played his best rugby when it was known that he was leaving. Did very well on the wing on a recent game but for me he was too slow to recycle the ball off the back of a scrum/ruck.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,137 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

Tommy O'Donnell has just announced his retirement.
    https://twitter.com/TommyoDonnell87/status/1381591557455941639

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Super player for Munster. So unfortunate with injury and it's a shame how this season has gone for him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,339 ✭✭✭✭phog

Super player for Munster. So unfortunate with injury and it's a shame how this season has gone for him.

Definitely injury had a huge impact on his career.

We've lost a few experienced heads from the pack this season.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,857 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

phog wrote: »
    Definitely injury had a huge impact on his career.

We've lost a few experienced heads from the pack this season.

I guess that leaves Archer as the most experienced player in the pack now?

• Hard to imagine he played 186 times for Munster given his injury profile of over the years.

Fantastic player when fit and firing and a great servant to Munster over the past 14 years.

Would love to have seen him break the 200 mark.

Between himself, Billy, CJ, Sweetnam and JJ that's over 800 caps gone from the squad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,914 ✭✭✭Rigor Mortis

As a Leinster fan, Tommy O'Donnell is a player I hugely admired. He was a player who represented all that was impressive about Munster Rugby. He had very little luck and was perhaps unlucky to play at a time when Ireland was rich in back row options. Best of wishes to him and hopefully he has a great life outside of rugby.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭leakyboots

Tommy in his prime bursting through a tackle in midfield and galloping up the middle of the pitch- will miss that, a super athlete. A shame about his injuries, he had the sort of powerful athleticism Wally had

• I'm down to James Cronin, Rhys Marshall and Jonathan Wren left as out of contract at the end of the season.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭The Inbetween is mine

I'm down to James Cronin, Rhys Marshall and Jonathan Wren left as out of contract at the end of the season.

Rhys Marshall has already been confirmed as returning to NZ in the summer

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭Thomasirl123

Rhys Marshall has already been confirmed as returning to NZ in the summer

Was that confirmed? Last I heard was "it was understood" he wouldn't be offer a contract

• Registered Users Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭Bridge93

Serious drain of experience from the squad this summer. Those demanding an increased involvement for the younger guys will certainly get their wish

• Advertisement

Bridge93 wrote: »
    Serious drain of experience from the squad this summer. Those demanding an increased involvement for the younger guys will certainly get their wish

It's certainly going to happen at LH and 10 and hopefully TH by the end of next season. Coombes has already established himself and will probably move to 8 full-time with CJ gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,366 ✭✭✭yerrahbah

https://www.munsterrugby.ie/2021/04/13/squad-update-preparations-begin-for-interpro-derbies/

Squad update

O'Mahony is back training this week

Cronin and Beirne have rib injuries and their availability will be determined next week

Ahern will undergo further assessment for a knee injury

Scott Buckley out for few months with a knee injury

Sounds like Aherns injury isn't too bad

Rotten luck for Buckley

Leinster sign niq prop
    Munster thread suddenly void of leinster fans. If any are left if be curious if their attitude has changed

• Subscribers Posts: 41,751 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Leinster sign niq prop
    Munster thread suddenly void of leinster fans. If any are left if be curious if their attitude has changed

living rent free :D:D

sydthebeat wrote: »
    living rent free :D:D

You came to the munster thread originally speaking about a munster signing 🀷*♂️

What's your opinion on the alaalatoa signing?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,767 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

Leinster sign niq prop

The optics couldn't be more different. 1 foreign player in the middle of 4 local lads, 2 of whom are in the Irish 23 vs 3 SAs and a Leinster player all ahead of the local talent.

In the big games Leinster will have 0 foreign born players at TH and 2 local lads there instead. Munster will have 2 SAs, 1 Leinster lad and 0 local lads at lock.

Ultimately that's how these are going to be viewed, rightly or wrongly. If Jenkins is signed exclusively as a back row then the above is all crap. A back row of Jenkins-POM-Coombes wouldn't be any big deal. But the optics at this stage were never going to reflect that.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,751 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Great signing :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Leinster have produced two tight heads of a a quality that any club would be proud to have produced one of them. Now both those tight heads will be away with Ireland (maybe even the Lions) and so Leinster are signing an NIQ to cover for them.

Why do you think this is a remotely similar situation?

molloyjh wrote: »
    The optics couldn't be more different. 1 foreign player in the middle of 4 local lads, 2 of whom are in the Irish 23 vs 3 SAs and a Leinster player all ahead of the local talent.

In the big games Leinster will have 0 foreign born players at TH and 2 local lads there instead. Munster will have 2 SAs, 1 Leinster lad and 0 local lads at lock.

Ultimately that's how these are going to be viewed, rightly or wrongly. If Jenkins is signed exclusively as a back row then the above is all crap. A back row of Jenkins-POM-Coombes wouldn't be any big deal. But the optics at this stage were never going to reflect that.

Munster have said he was signed as back row cover

• Advertisement

The situations aren't comparable.

Next.

Advertisement