Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Munster Team Talk Thread - Beirne After Reading

Comments

Leinster have produced two tight heads of a a quality that any club would be proud to have produced one of them. Now both those tight heads will be away with Ireland (maybe even the Lions) and so Leinster are signing an NIQ to cover for them.

Why do you think this is a remotely similar situation?

Munster have brought through a number of back rows in the last two years and they will continue to get game time..they just lost two back rows with over 309 munster caps combined. Munster likely have pom and coombes away every international window going forward also and signed a guy to a one year deal as cover

Incidentally I don't like either signing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Munster have brought through a number of back rows in the last two years and they will continue to get game time..they just lost two back rows with over 309 munster caps combined. Munster likely have pom and coombes away every international window going forward also and signed a guy to a one year deal as cover

Incidentally I don't like either signing

Ok and if he plays only at 6/8 behind Coombes there won’t be a problem.

I like both signings

Ok and if he plays only at 6/8 behind Coombes there won’t be a problem.

I like both signings

Yera I don't mine either really tbh if both guys end up big impact then super

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭The Inbetween is mine

It just means Porter is coming home to his Munster roots....
    I hear his grandparents once spent a weekend in Killarney and his daddy was conceived there...it's written in the stars
    :D

• Registered Users Posts: 24,767 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

Munster have said he was signed as back row cover

Hence the rightly or wrongly bit...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 925 ✭✭✭mun1

Awww, all the Leinster goys are a bit sore about not having the conveyor belt in place.
    Right kick in the nuts to any Leinster academy tightheads who needs a bit of development .
    I’m sure the Samoan will “help develop the young props” and “bring a huge amount of experience to the squad”.

It’s ok goys, we feel your pain ;)

Anyway back to munster matters, who are we gong to get to cover tighthead next season :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

mun1 wrote: »
    Awww, all the Leinster goys are a bit sore about not having the conveyor belt in place.
    Right kick in the nuts to any Leinster academy tightheads who needs a bit of development .
    I’m sure the Samoan will “help develop the young props” and “bring a huge amount of experience to the squad”.

Anyway back to munster matters, who are we gong to get to cover tighthead next season :)

No more boards for you tonight. Mammy is calling you for your dinner.

Hes Australian. But I do enjoy the poor attempt at trolling.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,857 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

Leinster academy tightheads who needs a bit of development [/B].

You mean like Aungier and Salanoa? :-)

Quin_Dub wrote: »
    You mean like Aungier and Salanoa? :-)

Ahh yes cj and klyne are south africa ln through and through but salanoas leinster born and bred

• Advertisement

Ahh yes cj and klyne are south africa ln through and through but salanoas leinster born and bred

Nobody said he was. He was in the Leinster Academy, which is the only point being made there.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 27,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,137 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

molloyjh wrote: »
    Hes Australian. But I do enjoy the poor attempt at trolling.
    He's a Samoan international.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭FrannoFan

Leinster sign niq prop
    Munster thread suddenly void of leinster fans. If any are left if be curious if their attitude has changed

I don't think this signing would have been necessary if Moore wasn't at ulster, aungier at connacht or salanoa gone to munster. That and the first two tight heads weren't regularly with ireland.

If it's to facilitate porter switching to loose head I don't think that would have been necessary if loughman hadn't gone to munster, Buckley hadn't gone to connacht when he left blackrock, Eric o'sullivan had been picked up, jack mcgrath hadn't moved to ulster.

issues at producing props right now in Leinster.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭The Inbetween is mine

FrannoFan wrote: »
    I don't think this signing would have been necessary if Moore wasn't at ulster, aungier at connacht or salanoa gone to munster. That and the first two tight heads weren't regularly with ireland.

If it's to facilitate porter switching to loose head I don't think that would have been necessary if loughman hadn't gone to munster, Buckley hadn't gone to connacht when he left blackrock, Eric o'sullivan had been picked up, jack mcgrath hadn't moved to ulster.

issues at producing props right now in Leinster.

I'm afraid all the rumours I've started are saying that Porter is definitely going to Munster... It gonna happen!

He's a Samoan international.

Yes, but Lowe and CJ are Irish internationals. Neither are Irish. Alaalatoa was born and grew up in Australia.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,327 ✭✭✭theVersatile

You had to go ahead and open this can of worms didn't you Alistair Colossal Sonar. Pandora's Box has just been emptied again.

Some of us enjoy the peace and quiet...

(even if I agree with your sentiment)

You had to go ahead and open this can of worms didn't you Alistair Colossal Sonar. Pandora's Box has just been emptied again.

Some of us enjoy the peace and quiet...

(even if I agree with your sentiment)

And some of us just want to watch the world burn :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,106 ✭✭✭✭ Gary Moldy Memory

Leinster sign niq prop
    Munster thread suddenly void of leinster fans. If any are left if be curious if their attitude has changed

Well Leinster had a game at the weekend and Munster didn't so really not much to talk about.

Edit - though here is the single most bizarre rugby article I have ever read, from the Indo:
    O’Gara’s presence makes La Rochelle vs Leinster the biggest game of Ireland's rugby season

Roy Curtis

RONAN O’Gara’s relentlessly curious mind has, for the longest time, acted as a vaccine against the virus of a humdrum life.

O’Gara, like his forever inquisitive sporting cousin, Padraig Harrington, has never been remotely afraid to pursue the path less ordinary, to take the unconventional route, to expose himself to outside-the-box thinking.

His thirst for knowledge, his hunting down of any morsel of enlightenment upon which he might studiously chew, has taken the 44-year-old Corkonian on a decade-long Jules Verne-like odyssey to rugby’s outer edges.

From his natural Thomond Park habit to the dazzling lights of the Champs Elysees, on to the New Zealand heartland and the game's alpha culture, and back to the old maritime coastal city of La Rochelle, here is an Erasmus student assiduously furthering his oval-ball education.

A frontiersman advancing out into unexplored territory, eager to discover what competitive advantage or nugget of wisdom might be lurking around the next corner.

The journey, along with the philosophy that underpins it, marks O’Gara out among the most fascinating and compelling Irish sportsmen of any era.

He might easily have traded on his reputation as one of the great quarterbacks and natural-born leaders this country has known, guaranteeing an express elevator to the domestic coaching penthouse.

Yet, that very thought of taking a shortcut would appal him, feel like the polar opposite extreme to fulfilment.

You sense with O'Gara that the journey is the juice.

We come back to curiosity and thirst for knowledge, qualities encoded deep in the genetic makeup of so many of those who view life as a sporting Camino, who are forever mining for that extra, elusive percentile.

These are the kind of singular men and women, custodians of sponge-like minds, whose pilgrimage so often finish at the coaching hall of fame.

O’Gara’s dipping into the world of broadcasting has revealed a mind that is a treasure house of insightful thinking.

The intelligence, brutal honesty, rich analysis and powerful cocktail of profound observations and wry humour set the former Munster out-half apart from the rest of the field.

O’Gara’s brain is a cold-house for cliché or lazy thought: He appears genetically incapable of resorting to a stock answer.

He is interesting and interested, happy to challenge lazy group-thinking, unafraid of going against the grain. In this, he appears hewn from the same cerebral quarry as high-achievers like Jurgen Klopp or Phil Jackson.

Given a stark choice between winning or learning, this hugely competitive individual might tell you that one without the other would be hollow: That knowledge is victory.

It is no surprise that the graph of O'Gara's coaching career is soaring like one of those old-school garryowens he would launch into the frigid Limerick night, inviting a baying Red Army and a salivating Mick Galwey or Paul O'Connell-led pack to visit feral terror on some public-school English full-back.

Any player with a hunger to learn, to explore the outer ranges of his talent, could not hope for a better or more sympathetic tutor.

Listen to O’Gara speak about rugby and rugby players: He is demanding yet empathetic, his ambition coated with an emotional intelligence too often suffocated by the weed of ego which entangles the minds of so many sporting coaches.

An audit of his responses would quickly detect a pattern for the scrupulous avoidance of bull****.

He is a tactical encyclopedia, yet he has the communication skills to simplify the complex, to deliver a strategic masterpiece in easy to follow, irresistible brushstrokes.

There is a growing consensus that he is Munster and/or Ireland’s tactical commander-in-chief in waiting.

More than six months ago we argued that the out-half was the skeleton key to unlock all those long-sealed doors behind which lurk the pathways back to the days of thunder, when the southern province swept across Europe in a rush of colour, a conquering army in a stampede of ransacking glory.

His mind could be the hammer that smashes the glass ceiling that has incarcerated Munster below rugby's summit.

You listen to O’Gara’s piercing breakdown of a contest on international days and crave the day when he swaps the TV studio for an Irish dressing-room.

Yet the man himself declines to hurry his apprenticeship, like a Leeside Sinatra, he is determined to do it his way.

His patience is yet another impressive facet of his intellectual makeup, of a masterplan that has been carefully thought out.

The imminent Champions Cup semi-final between La Rochelle and Leinster bubbles giddily with possibility, O'Gara's presence elevating it to the status of the most interesting fixture of this country's rugby season.

If he can take down Irish rugby’s totemic force, if a Munster man can at last repel the blue tide, the petitions for the prodigal son to return home will reach a deafening crescendo.

Munster, flailing and thrashing in Leinster’s shadow, ravenous for a return to the top table, would not, if they offered their old Number Ten the keys to the kingdom, be turning the clock back to 2006 and 2008.

Rather, everything we know about O'Gara insists they would be winding it forward: To a new and thrilling age of crimson enlightenment

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,137 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

molloyjh wrote: »
    Yes, but Lowe and CJ are Irish internationals. Neither are Irish. Alaalatoa was born and grew up in Australia.
    His father is a former Samoan international who was actually born in Samoa, so he's of Samoan hertiage. So, you know, nothing at all like project players Lowe and Stander.

I mean I don't even care that Leinster have signed him, but calling someone out on calling a Samoan international of actual Samoan heritage Samoan is pretty petty.

• Advertisement

His father is a former Samoan international who was actually born in Samoa, so he's of Samoan hertiage. So, you know, nothing at all like project players Lowe and Stander.

I mean I don't even care that Leinster have signed him, but calling someone out on calling a Samoan international of actual Samoan heritage Samoan is pretty petty.

I was hardly "calling someone out" about the nationality. I was just saying he's an Aussie. Because, well, he is. Are we going to start calling Dillane French now too?

I just find this whole thing petty. It's based on Leinster fans all being the same and with the same opinions with no variance, no nuance, nothing. The whole topic is petty. If I'm calling anything out its that.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

Edit - though here is the single most bizarre rugby article I have ever read, from the Indo:

I got the here and stopped reading:
    O’Gara’s presence makes La Rochelle vs Leinster the biggest game of Ireland's rugby season

Roy Curtis

• Registered Users Posts: 4,489 ✭✭✭Paul Smeenus

What did I just read?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,366 ✭✭✭yerrahbah

Get your popcorn ready

• Registered Users Posts: 3,683 ✭✭✭arsebiscuits1

Big news. I'd say they got a pretty good deal for him as he isn't holding too many cards.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭Thrashssacre

All jokes aside it's probably actually a decent signing for munster there hardly dripping in back 3 talent.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,683 ✭✭✭arsebiscuits1

All jokes aside it's probably actually a decent signing for munster there hardly dripping in back 3 talent.

Ah they are though. Just insist on playing him at 10 :pac::pac:

Honestly he's probably going to wind up a bit of a supersub for us. He's great experience with holland,cj,tod leaving

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

Honestly he's probably going to wind up a bit of a supersub for us. He's great experience with holland,cj,tod leaving

Add in Sweetnam and JJ to the backs too. We're losing a lot of experience, so I'd be pretty happy if this were true.

Advertisement