Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Munster Team Talk Thread - Beirne After Reading

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,497 ✭✭✭BoardsMember

With so much experience leaving I guess Zebo balances that out a little.

I wonder will he be the positive impact, the leader, the guy who reinforces the need for perfection and attention to detail that Munster need from the experiences guys? He's always come across as a bit of a messer to me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,499 ✭✭✭Sabre0001

One thing I will say is that he will try to grab a game by the scruff of the neck (which may be needed as we don't see that from Healy, Haley, or some others in the backline), popping up at first receiver.

The last game vs Leinster was mentioned which - if I'm remembering right - was when he was trying to fling the ball wide (but often into touch). The idea was right, the execution wasn't. But he was willing to give it a go, which was somewhat good to see (aside from the frustration of seeing the ball fly into touch).

🤪

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Teferi wrote: »
    For me, it’s a midlife crisis purchase. Spaffing money on a vintage lambo when you should have spent your money on something sensible.

We don't know what the opportunity cost is, ultimately.
    Maybe Munster did look for a top front row like Leinster but were turned down.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭The Inbetween is mine

I'm trying to work out in my head...has Zebo played more games on the wing, or at FB for Munster?
    I'm thinking wing .. but I'm fecked if I can be certain

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭thegreycity

I imagine Zebo is one of the highest profile players amongst casual fans. He's easy to market and he'll get bums on seats and eyes on the TV. That's a big reason for bringing him back I guess.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

I'm trying to work out in my head...has Zebo played more games on the wing, or at FB for Munster?
    I'm thinking wing .. but I'm fecked if I can be certain

I remember checking this before:
    aloooof wrote: »
    Agreed, he's our top try scorer, tho Earls is getting close. I love a stat so had a quick look at Zebo's 144 total appearances:
    - 78 starts at 11
    - 48 starts at 15
    - 18 appearances off the bench

I imagine Zebo is one of the highest profile players amongst casual fans. He's easy to market and he'll get bums on seats and eyes on the TV. That's a big reason for bringing him back I guess.

No, the fact he's Munster's highest tryscorer and has improved as a player at Racing, has 3 years of top rugby ahead of him would be the reasons

• Registered Users Posts: 11,810 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

Wonder what that means in terms of salary?

https://twitter.com/tonyleen/status/1382300607353131011

Sounds like a central contract lite?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,137 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

Aren't all provincial contracts cofunded by IRFU?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,106 ✭✭✭✭ Gary Moldy Memory

"Relatively modest financial package", either he really wants to come back to Munster or there's not much demand for him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,573 ✭✭✭bennyl10

"Relatively modest financial package", either he really wants to come back to Munster or there's not much demand for him.

International rugby is on offer
    Especially if the IRFU are involved in the pay packet

He’s been great in France, can’t see how there wouldn’t be demand

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 925 ✭✭✭mun1

Would assume this was ore zebo wanting to return home with his family ,Unless he is planning to play prop.

He's been a regular in the Racing side. I can't see why there wouldn't be demand for him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 925 ✭✭✭mun1

I know you haven't hidden from your opinion of Zebo, but it's certainly a signing that improves our first choice 23.

If you offered me Michael Alaalatoa instead, then I would certainly take him. It seems Munster are backing who they have in house in the front row. The selections in the Rainbow Cup are going to be interesting.

No it’s not a signing that improves our 23.
    Zebo 3 years ago improved our 23 , not zebo in 2021/22.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,858 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

He's been a regular in the Racing side. I can't see why there wouldn't be demand for him.

Has he been so this season?

I know he was previously a starter , but I thought he had fallen out of favour this year hence all the talk of him moving over the last few months- And now he actually is moving.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,137 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,137 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,137 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

A one year contract.

Hmmm

• Advertisement

Quin_Dub wrote: »
    Has he been so this season?

I know he was previously a starter , but I thought he had fallen out of favour this year hence all the talk of him moving over the last few months- And now he actually is moving.

http://www.itsrugby.co.uk/players/simon-zebo-18843.html

He started 11 of 20 in the Top14 this year.
    He missed time through injury just before Covid.

Diarmuid Barron 2022
    Kevin O'Byrne 2022
    Rhys Marshall 2021
    Niall Scannell 2023

Scott Buckley Year 1

James Cronin 2021
    James French 2022
    Dave Kilcoyne 2023
    Liam O'Connor 2022
    Jeremy Loughman 2022
    Josh Wycherley 2023

Stephen Archer 2022
    Keynan Knox 2022
    John Ryan 2022
    Roman Salanoa 2022

Thomas Ahern 2023
    Tadhg Beirne 2022
    Jason Jenkins 2022
    Jean Kleyn 2022
    RG Snyman 2022
    Fineen Wycherley 2023

Cian Hurley Year 1
    Paddy Kelly Year 2
    Eoin O'Connor Year 2

Gavin Coombes 2023
    Chris Cloete 2022
    Jack Daly 2022
    John Hodnett 2023
    Jack O'Donoghue 2023
    Peter O'Mahony 2023
    Jack O'Sullivan 2023

Alex Kendellen Year 1

Craig Casey 2023
    Neil Cronin 2023
    Conor Murray 2022

Joey Carbery 2022
    Jack Crowley 2023
    Jake Flannery 2022
    Ben Healy 2022

Damian de Allende 2022
    Chris Farrell 2022
    Dan Goggin 2022
    Alex McHenry 2022
    Rory Scannell 2023

Andrew Conway 2023
    Liam Coombes 2022
    Shane Daly 2023
    Keith Earls 2022
    Seán French 2022
    Matt Gallagher 2022
    Mike Haley 2023
    Calvin Nash 2023
    Simon Zebo 2022

Conor Phillips Year 1
    Jonathan Wren Year 3

2021/22 NIEs:
    Jason Jenkins (capped), RG Snyman (capped), Damian de Allende (capped)

IN: Jason Jenkins (LK, Toyota Verblitz), Simon Zebo (B3, Racing 92)
    OUT: Eoghan Clarke (HK, Jersey Reds), Billy Holland (LK, retirement), Tommy O'Donnell (BR, retirement), CJ Stander (BR, retirement), Nick McCarthy (SH, Leinster), JJ Hanrahan (FH, Clermont Auvergne), Darren Sweetnam (B3, La Rochelle)

A one year contract.

Hmmm

Would be shocked if there’s no option to extend in the end

bennyl10 wrote: »
    Would be shocked if there’s no option to extend in the end

You would think so with having to move back from France with family and all that involves.

Eod100 wrote: »
    You would think so with having to move back from France with family and all that involves.

Financials probably limit them This year too

You’d assume If things get back to normal next year he’ll get a longer deal

A one year contract.

Hmmm

Age plays a factor there.

Interesting on the financial front

Head Coach Johann van Graan said, “The opportunity to bring Simon back to Munster came about in early April following a final review of our squad’s budgetary position for season-end and with assistance from the IRFU to support what we believe is a really good deal for Munster and Irish Rugby.

“Simon’s desire to return to Ireland and play with his home club is illustrated by his willingness to sign at a level below his market value elsewhere. This has made bringing the province’s all-time leading try-scorer back home, possible.”

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,599 ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

Almost anyone whose contract is up at the moment will be signing a new contract with a slight pay cut.

I'm suspecting that one year contracts will be common enough as players will want to renegotiate when things are back to normal.

There may also be a certain element of I wanna see if I work out with the international group before making up my mind.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,779 ✭✭✭CMcsporty

Age plays a factor there.

He's just turned 31!
    It's money/virus.

A great signing for Munster and Ireland.
    Let the FB debate start now......

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭thegreycity

No, the fact he's Munster's highest tryscorer and has improved as a player at Racing, has 3 years of top rugby ahead of him would be the reasons

Sure, and the fact that he seems to be willing to take a paycut. And the commercial stuff I mentioned. But what you said too.

Advertisement