Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Munster Team Talk Thread - Beirne After Reading

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

The front row remains the Achilles heel of the squad. We have Kilcoyne who is international class but getting on in years. None of the hookers are standout. Ryan and Archer are average at this point of their careers. Munster have a lot of hope pinned on Wycherley, French, Knox and Salanoa to come good and become options for the first choice 23.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,134 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

The front row remains the Achilles heel of the squad. We have Kilcoyne who is international class but getting on in years. None of the hookers are standout. Ryan and Archer are average at this point of their careers. Munster have a lot of hope pinned on Wycherley, French, Knox and Salanoa to come good and become options for the first choice 23.

Strange that there's still no word on Cronin's contract

Caranica wrote: »
    Strange that there's still no word on Cronin's contract

He's gone, surely. They have 5 looseheads signed up.

I'd move on from him to be honest and invest in Wycherley and French. LOC and Loughman are there as squad players.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,810 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

Wonder if we can get Ryan back while we are at it?! :pac:

Eod100 wrote: »
    Wonder if we can get Ryan back while we are at it?! :pac:

Yes, indeed.

Ryan should come home.

?width=630&version=3388514

• Advertisement

He's gone, surely. They have 5 looseheads signed up.

I'd move on from him to be honest and invest in Wycherley and French. LOC and Loughman are there as squad players.

Cronin was one of our best players this year imo

Cronin was one of our best players this year imo

He was good this year but we have young replacements for him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,339 ✭✭✭✭phog

I think Munster did a great bit of business to be able to announce two great signings, for very different roles yesterday. Getting Zebo back is huge for us, definitely a quality player and he will strengthen our first 15 not to mind talk of the 23 and then we get Costelloe back to head up the academy as well.

Thumbs up to Munster management.

To those pointing to a one year deal and being confused, he's taking a hit in income to come home, he's probably planning on better financials for the IRFU next year and go for a better contract.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,106 ✭✭✭✭ Gary Moldy Memory

phog wrote: »
    I think Munster did a great bit of business to be able to announce two great signings, for very different roles yesterday. Getting Zebo back is huge for us, definitely a quality player and he will strengthen our first 15 not to mind talk of the 23 and then we get Costelloe back to head up the academy as well.

To those pointing to a one year deal and being confused, he's taking a hit in income to come home, he's probably planning on better financials for the IRFU next year and go for a better contract.

This is across the board as opposed to specifically to do with Zebo, but the IRFU do not generally up your wage as you get older. D'Arcy did one of his articles on it, in terms of earnings it seems you peak in your late 20s and it's all downhill from there. Zebo will be 32 when his contract comes up for renewal.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,858 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

That's probably the plan along with a lot of other players , but based on everything I've ever heard about IRFU contract negotiations when you get beyond 30 years old (and Zebo would be ~32 then) the new offer is almost never an increase.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,309 ✭✭✭✭mahoney_j

Big question for me with Zebo coming back is why in a position we’re well covered was it a sentimental signing for Munster and zebo also and for zebo himself maby there wasn’t much else on offer from other clubs .....glad to see him back but the money should of been put into a quality tight head prop

mahoney_j wrote: »
    Big question for me with Zebo coming back is why in a position we’re well covered was it a sentimental signing for Munster and zebo also and for zebo himself maby there wasn’t much else on offer from other clubs .....glad to see him back but the money should of been put into a quality tight head prop

Who's the quality irish qualified tight head though? Ollie jagers the obvious one and he could be worth throwing money at but I don't think he has an interest he's aiming for the all blacks as far as I can tell

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭Lost Ormond

Who's the quality irish qualified tight head though? Ollie jagers the obvious one and he could be worth throwing money at but I don't think he has an interest he's aiming for the all blacks as far as I can tell

He's playing for probably the best non international side in the world in the Crusaders. Dont see why he would leave there at all even if he wasnt interested/likely to get near a NZ call up

He's playing for probably the best non international side in the world in the Crusaders. Dont see why he would leave there at all even if he wasnt interested/likely to get near a NZ call up

That's my point exactly it's easy to say go sign a front row but actually finding one is a different story. From what I understand jager made it clear pretty early on that he wouldn't be coming back so it is what it is

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,858 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

Jagers lack of interest in coming home is more than just the Rugby. He's settled down there , is engaged to a local girl etc.

He's very happy with his life in NZ both for Rugby and everything else.

Why do you think it's a sentimental signing? While we're well covered in the backs he's on par with Earls, ahead of Conway and Haley and then the rest. He's definitely going to be an improvement on what we currently have.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,137 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

Quin_Dub wrote: »
    That's probably the plan along with a lot of other players , but based on everything I've ever heard about IRFU contract negotiations when you get beyond 30 years old (and Zebo would be ~32 then) the new offer is almost never an increase.
    Normally I'd say that yes that's the case. But Zebo has returned in Covid times and has, according to JVG, agreed a contract below his market value.

You'd assume that with crowds (hopefully) back that finances will improve and Zebo could next year renegotiate for a contract suitable for a 32 year old under the IRFU policies, but one which would be of higher value than the one he's just agreed to.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,137 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

Nucifora signing off on Zebo and agreeing to top up his salary was not a sentimental decision. There is no way that this was signed off if there wasn't an involvement from Andy Farrell with the intention of him being involved in the international setup again.
    There is also the question as to would the IRFU have topped up the salary of a THP when we already have 4 signed on for next season? Highly unlikely I'd say, even if we need better than we have.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 24,002 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

So we're signing a Lions tourist, top try scorer for a top European club with a decent injury profile, brilliant signing in my opinion. Considering 1 of our wings and our full back have been called up to most of the recent Irish squads it's great to have more cover.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,327 ✭✭✭theVersatile

Hanrahan v Cardiff wins try of the season

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 24,002 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

Save people searching for it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭Tomtom364

Was a fantastic try in fairness. Love the clear out at the start to free up the ball, JOD I think?

DDA made that look easy.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,608 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

Darren sweetnam on the bench for Larochelle tonight.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 108 ✭✭Garda Kenny

Darren sweetnam on the bench for Larochelle tonight.

Saw him. Quiet enough game if a few glimpses of spark. Great to see an Irishman plying his trade on the continent. It takes some guts to up and make the move to France. Think he was subbed on.

https://www.sarugbymag.co.za/bok-boost-psdt-others/

RG back in action May 1st, according to Nienbar.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,812 ✭✭✭Jump_In_Jack

I liked Andy when he was here with us and hadn't realised he had such a coaching pedigree, hope he adds something to the coaching ticket

I suppose Jackman had to have a moan about something, had we appointed someone from within Munster he'd probably have moaned that we needed a person that coached elsewhere.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,608 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

I liked Andy when he was here with us and hadn't realised he had such a coaching pedigree, hope he adds something to the coaching ticket

I suppose Jackman had to have a moan about something, had we appointed someone from within Munster he'd probably have moaned that we needed a person that coached elsewhere.

If Andy is the best person for the job then he is the best person for the job.

His origin is irrelevant and should play no part in his appointment.

Advertisement