Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Munster Team Talk Thread - Beirne After Reading

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

That's an embarrassing comment from Jackman, a ridiculous case of "whataboutery". He didn't care a jot about the young French or Welsh coaches.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,134 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

In fairness the point is relevant but not specific to Munster. All the provinces have a LOT of non Irish coaches.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,608 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

Caranica wrote: »
    In fairness the point is relevant but not specific to Munster. All the provinces have a LOT of non Irish coaches.

Why doesn’t he take aim at the national side so?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,713 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

razorblunt wrote: »
    That's an embarrassing comment from Jackman, a ridiculous case of "whataboutery". He didn't care a jot about the young French or Welsh coaches.

Something tells me this is more a personal slight for Jackman given his current coaching situation than anything. Poor form altogether.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,339 ✭✭✭✭phog

Caranica wrote: »

Definitely relevant but when we had a load of Irish(Munster) lads on our coaching staff we were accused of jobs for the boys and that we needed coaches from outside the Munster/Irish system.

Currently Munster have former coaches/players as coaches on their own books and in places like Irish team, Leinster, Connacht, Quins and La Rochelle. Costelloe is coming home from a spell in the UK so it's not like there's a complete road block for coaches.

Unless Bernard thinks we should be plucking coaches directly from the AIL clubs and promoting those just to give them a pathway to professional coaching.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13 NewWay82

Do we not think this appointment is a jobs for the boys??
    Didn't he work with Costello at Nottingham and isn't he a former munster player? Costello could be great with the Academy or more of the same. I guarantee you the majority of people working for Munster knew someone before they got their job

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭Lost Ormond

NewWay82 wrote: »
    Didn't he work with Costello at Nottingham and isn't he a former munster player? Costello could be great with the Academy or more of the same. I guarantee you the majority of people working for Munster knew someone before they got their job

I wouldnt call it job for the boys. He was a short term signing for Munster but has a fairly wide range of coaching experience. Most coaches at any level anywhere will pick guys theyve worked with before/know if they can
    Kyriacou isnt from Munster. Has coached with Cardiff, Russia, Sale and Nottingham. Not jobs for boys at all.
    Wouldnt think Costello will be more of the same based on his coaching career so far.

Some will but how many people would actually link Andy with Munster if they heard his name a month ago?

He spent far more time with Saracens and Ulster.

If Ian thinks he's the man he needs to add something to the academy then why not go for him?

That's a fair point about Kyriacau. Why would you think that Costellos career to date would mean that he'll be different?
    Why would working as Wasps defence coach make him a good fit for this position?
    Did he do a good job previously in his roles with Munster?? I would think that he did an okay job without being exceptional

• Closed Accounts Posts: 891 ✭✭✭sebdavis

I would expect Jackman is trying to get back into coaching. Based on the reaction I guess he wasn't even asked to interview for the job. Probably stung a bit

• Advertisement

That's a fair point about Kyriacau. Why would you think that Costellos career to date would mean that he'll be different?
    Why would working as Wasps defence coach make him a good fit for this position?
    Did he do a good job previously in his roles with Munster?? I would think that he did an okay job without being exceptional
    He did do quite well with Munster in his previous roles. I think his career to date shows a wide range of experiences. He has coached at the schools level, junior club rugby and AIL rugby with clubs and schools across the province.
    He has good experience through the Bohs academy of helping develop players through to the higher levels of the game. He was DOR there when they were a very good strong divison 1 club. He has also worked within the academy system with Munster before so knows some of the issues that are here
    He isnt simply a guy who's coaching experience within Munster was in the very top schools and clubs. He wasnt in a Pres/Christians/Con etc

sebdavis wrote: »
    I would expect Jackman is trying to get back into coaching. Based on the reaction I guess he wasn't even asked to interview for the job. Probably stung a bit

I highly doubt he was interested in being academy scrum coach at Munster.

Gavan Casey posted this tweet, I've a feeling he's continued to talk about it

https://twitter.com/GavanCasey/status/1385213220948951041?s=19

He did do quite well with Munster in his previous roles. I think his career to date shows a wide range of experiences. He has coached at the schools level, junior club rugby and AIL rugby with clubs and schools across the province.
    He has good experience through the Bohs academy of helping develop players through to the higher levels of the game. He was DOR there when they were a very good strong divison 1 club. He has also worked within the academy system with Munster before so knows some of the issues that are here
    He isnt simply a guy who's coaching experience within Munster was in the very top schools and clubs. He wasnt in a Pres/Christians/Con etc
    And who are the players from UL Bohs that he developed that went onto the higher levels of the game?
    You say he's not a Pres/CBC coach which is fair enough but his work with UL Bohs and his previous work the academy at munster does not stand out.
    He won the B & I cup with the A team which deserves credit but looked out of his depth in his role with the senior team.
    Nothing to note at Nottingham but he has done a good job at Wasps.
    You say he knows some of the issues but that doesn't necessarily mean that he's the man to change it. Sometimes a fresh outlook is the way forward.

Did Jackman even acknowledge that we signed Costello when complaining that we signed Kyriacou.

Is he just trying to drum up "clicks"

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,742 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Rumour machine is going into overdrive.......watch this space.

And who are the players from UL Bohs that he developed that went onto the higher levels of the game?
    You say he's not a Pres/CBC coach which is fair enough but his work with UL Bohs and his previous work the academy at munster does not stand out.
    He won the B & I cup with the A team which deserves credit but looked out of his depth in his role with the senior team.
    Nothing to note at Nottingham but he has done a good job at Wasps.
    You say he knows some of the issues but that doesn't necessarily mean that he's the man to change it. Sometimes a fresh outlook is the way forward.

Tommy O Donnell quite few others will have improved a lot through his work with him in Bohs. Bohs were consistently a strong divison 1 club in his time coaching there. Who is this fresh outlook you would employ to bring this changes and go forward then?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭The Inbetween is mine

Oooh.. colour me interested :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,852 ✭✭✭✭2smiggy

any clue on what these rumours are ?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,810 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

Any clues? :pac:

Johann heading off to greener pastures ?
    A big name signing?
    A big departure?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭The Inbetween is mine

Johann heading off to greener pastures ?
    A big name signing?
    A big departure?

Yep, spot on

Yep, spot on

So JVG is a goner then post Rainbow Cup??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭FrannoFan

Scott Penny has bought a house in limerick and is joining?

No wait that was two weeks ago

• Registered Users Posts: 2,327 ✭✭✭theVersatile

Big news is Gavin Coombes for the Lions tour.

Jesus **** you talk about click bait 🀣

• Registered Users Posts: 1,539 ✭✭✭FACECUTTR

2smiggy wrote: »
    any clue on what these rumours are ?

Zebo player/coach with responsibility for bants

Joe smidth coming in taking over the sports and social committee?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

#BREAKING Teferi announced as Zebo's personal chauffeur.

Team is out. What's the story with Conway??

https://twitter.com/threeredkings/status/1385549311510028291?s=19

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

Was hoping to see to see one of Knox or Salanoa start, really hope they rotate over the next 2 games. That's as young a bench as we've ever put out tho.

Advertisement