Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Munster Team Talk Thread - Beirne After Reading

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,150 ✭✭✭✭LuckyGent88

Rob Howley interviewed for the position of attack coach that we badly need.

Has a great cv in terms of who he has worked with but can’t say the Welsh attack has been very exciting in terms of their play. A bit like Munster actually in just trying to bulldoze over the opposition. Also wouldn’t be available until November so that wouldn’t be ideal either.

Hopefully continue to interview clients.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,176 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Howley isn't the guy you want imo. Never been impressed by the Welsh attack.

Maybe he's been limited by what Gatland wants gameplan wise, but I don't think the Welsh backs have ever really thrived under him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 184 ✭✭Donald Trumped

Has a great cv in terms of who he has worked with but can’t say the Welsh attack has been very exciting in terms of their play. A bit like Munster actually in just trying to bulldoze over the opposition. Also wouldn’t be available until November so that wouldn’t be ideal either.

I really think that if Howley is appointed to this attack then Munster Rugby will truly become a titanic and sinking ship. As a Munster rugby fan I'm seriously concerned about the direction not just the team are going under Van Graan, but with the way Munster Rugby is being run. These blazers should never have given the South African a new 2 year contract extension. That's being so incompetent. Who is our Munster rugby CEO? Is it still Garett Fitzgerald?

Look at the poor attendance for the Treviso game yesterday and you know that people are disengaged and disillusioned with the way Munster Rugby is being run at the top. Are we really appointing lads to jobs because they look the part in interviews, rather than their CV and speaking to people about experiences under their coaching? That is not the way to running an franchise like Munster rugby.

Added to the issues of the Munster academy compared to the other three Irish provinces plus the legacy debt issues of the Thomand Park redevelopment, then I'm afraid my long standing fears about Munster being no longer being a European powerhouse by the end of this decade and beyond, will truly be well founded. Worrying times indeed for all Munster rugby fans.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

I really think that if Howley is appointed to this attack then Munster Rugby will truly become a titanic and sinking ship. As a Munster rugby fan I'm seriously concerned about the direction not just the team are going under Van Graan, but with the way Munster Rugby is being run. These blazers should never have given the South African a new 2 year contract extension. That's being so incompetent. Who is our Munster rugby CEO? Is it still Garett Fitzgerald?

Look at the poor attendance for the Treviso game yesterday and you know that people are disengaged and disillusioned with the way Munster Rugby is being run at the top. Are we really appointing lads to jobs because they look the part in interviews, rather than their CV and speaking to people about experiences under their coaching? That is not the way to running an franchise like Munster rugby.

Added to the issues of the Munster academy compared to the other three Irish provinces plus the legacy debt issues of the Thomand Park redevelopment, then I'm afraid my long standing fears about Munster being no longer being a European powerhouse by the end of this decade and beyond, will truly be well founded. Worrying times indeed for all Munster rugby fans.
    Why shouldnt he have been given an extension?
    Attendance always going to be poor on bank holiday weekend with game Munster expected to win and with weather, riverfest on in the city etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,994 ✭✭✭leakyboots

Jeez, I can't be the only one who is actually feeling optimistic about the way we're going?

I genuinely don't want new signings, I think we have the players. We arguably have the best defence in Europe. Our pack can dominate most and generally hold their own against the top sides. But when they struggle to dominate or gain parity our backs can't bail us out like, say, Connachts used do under Lam.

For me, the attack coaching is the critical issue - a decent or ideally world class attack coach will transform this side if they can hit the ground running by getting their message across as quick as Ferreira or Nienaber seemd to be able to. Rassie used look after attack (can't recall who had it before him - Ian Costello?) and Felix, who remember was appointed originally on a one-year 'technical role' contract, got landed with it after Rassie left. Our backs play exactly like a group that have had three different attack coaches (one of them a complete novice) in the last few seasons.

Chris Farrell at the moment is arguably our most important player - we look impotent enough in the backs, but it gets far worse when he's not there to give us a bit of go forward with the way the backs currently play. Carberry too, I don't think it's a coincidence that our best run of form in mid-season coincided with Joey's extended run in the team. New attack coach with new ideas and structures will transform that backline and bring guys like Goggin and Arnold on massively.

If we're having the same conversation this time next year with the same turgid back play getting knocked out in the semis, yeah, then I'll be worried. I don't think we're as far away as others are making out at all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 780 ✭✭✭Kirk Van Houten

Let's be clear a coach in his first full season gets to a European semi final and at a minimum a Pro14 semi final as well isn't good enough? As a comparison Leo Cullen taking over such a successful team only managed one win in a European pool in his first season.

The academy is starting to produce, see Wycherley (times 2) Coombes, Daly, Hodnett, Casey, French, Scannells etc.

You don't even know who the CEO is but assume he is incompetent? If you don't know who is he how can you know even what he does or is responsible for?

Also the debt was originally meant to be serviced from the sale of a new round of 10 year tickets and corporates. It has been restructured to a longer term repayment schedule with lower annual repayments between two entities of the same company (IRFU).

If you don't understand why attendances for these games are relatively low then you really havent been paying attention or understand Munster fans.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,994 ✭✭✭leakyboots

Lads we had an interpro the previous week (that had 20k at it ) and before that an away quarter and semis. Couple that with the bank holiday and everything going with it and the fact it's Treviso (improved and all as they are).

People aren't made of money and can't give every weekend in April/May to going to Munster matches. Marriages alone would be torn asunder! Not one of my match going friends/family who are season ticket holders for years, go to away games etc. went to the game yesterday - I genuinely don't know anyone who went to it. There was never going to be a massive crowd at it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 534 ✭✭✭Erik Shun

Chances are we'll be bringing in a NIQ player as the space is there,... I heard leilifano mentioned down here, but surely he'd go back to Ulster if that was to happen.
    I do think we needed a Mafi or Tapoki type to come in at times this season...will just have to wait and see what happens over the next 2 to 3 months though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,711 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Erik Shun wrote: »
    Chances are we'll be bringing in a NIQ player as the space is there,... I heard leilifano mentioned down here, but surely he'd go back to Ulster if that was to happen.
    I do think we needed a Mafi or Tapoki type to come in at times this season...will just have to wait and see what happens over the next 2 to 3 months though

I think Lealiifano is being linked with Ulster/Connacht, there'd be little point in him going to Munster considering the amount of depth at centre and outhalf.

I wouldn't be surprised if Munster looked at an NIQ TH.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭troyzer

I think Lealiifano is being linked with Ulster/Connacht, there'd be little point in him going to Munster considering the amount of depth at centre and outhalf.

Everyone except Leinster is in the market for an NIQ tighthead at the moment.

• Advertisement

troyzer wrote: »

One of the areas the IRFU are pretty much saying no to.

Heard they were looking at utility backs a while ago, an uncapped kiwi, but not sure if that focus has since changed. The guy in question has already signed for a premiership club.

troyzer wrote: »

One of the areas the IRFU are pretty much saying no to.

Heard they were looking at utility backs a while ago, an uncapped kiwi, but not sure if that focus has since changed. The guy in question has already signed for a premiership club.

I think...and it's just my opinion... we're not as flush at centre as we thought... Arnold.. Scannell.. Goggin...are all young and competent.... but lack a little bit with ball in hand at times... Farrell.. cracking player... but injuries aren't helping him at the moment...I do think it's an area we could use improving for a season or 2

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

I think...and it's just my opinion... we're not as flush at centre as we thought... Arnold.. Scannell.. Goggin...are all young and competent.... but lack a little bit with ball in hand at times... Farrell.. cracking player... but injuries aren't helping him at the moment...I do think it's an area we could use improving for a season or 2
    Scannell and Goggin are in their mid 20s not that young. Would be far better to trust them than getting in short term signings.

Scannell and Goggin are in their mid 20s not that young. Would be far better to trust them than getting in short term signings.

Both 24 or 25 and Arnold is 23 I think...not a huge age tbf..and Goggin just won young player of the year....
    Just think that at the moment.. they aren't the answer if we play Farrell at 13...that's all

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,134 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

leakyboots wrote: »
    Not one of my match going friends/family who are season ticket holders for years, go to away games etc. went to the game yesterday - I genuinely don't know anyone who went to it. There was never going to be a massive crowd at it.

I was there, and the majority of my Munster supporting friends were there. The game wasn't the best but we came away with the win we needed, despite the fact that Treviso were clearly hungrier for the win. The lads must be shattered, I know I am from just traveling to support then so hopefully the break will do them good.

The QF v Edinburgh last season was poorly attended too.

Caranica wrote: »
    I was there, and the majority of my Munster supporting friends were there. The game wasn't the best but we came away with the win we needed, despite the fact that Treviso were clearly hungrier for the win. The lads must be shattered, I know I am from just traveling to support then so hopefully the break will do them good.

The QF v Edinburgh last season was poorly attended too.

God love me..I actually skipped a family communion to go, ...I've seen worse crowds tbh, but I would have hoped for a slightly bigger crowd for our last home game this season

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,376 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

God love me..I actually skipped a family communion to go, ...I've seen worse crowds tbh, but I would have hoped for a slightly bigger crowd for our last home game this season

Don’t say you skipped a communion like that wasn’t the easiest decision you’ve made in a while. Assuming it wasn’t your own child’s communion then any rational person would rather go to the rugby. If it was your kids you’d still rather the rugby but be afraid to say it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭The Rape of Lucretia

Looks like the idea of all the Munster schools moving their communions from March and April into May because Munsters season would be done and so they wouldnt clash with any games misfired alright.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,134 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

Looks like the idea of all the Munster schools moving their communions from March and April into May because Munsters season would be done and so they wouldnt clash with any games misfired alright.

Always May in my part of Munster!

• Advertisement

Lads, what will be the situation with tickets for the Leinster game?

Looks like I have to go back to Ireland that weekend so will be flying into Dublin on that Saturday. Be great to take in the match before heading west.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,570 ✭✭✭bennyl10

Lads, what will be the situation with tickets for the Leinster game?

Looks like I have to go back to Ireland that weekend so will be flying into Dublin on that Saturday. Be great to take in the match before heading west.

General sale is down for 12 on Thursday as per Ticketmaster
    Mrsc details should be out on Tuesday

bennyl10 wrote: »
    General sale is down for 12 on Thursday as per Ticketmaster
    Mrsc details should be out on Tuesday

Am part of the Mrsc anyway so hopefully will pick up a ticket.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

Am part of the Mrsc anyway so hopefully will pick up a ticket.

Last year the MRSC announced a lottery while the tickets were available for public sale iirc, so if something similar happens this year, it may be easier pick them up thru ticketmaster.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,741 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Any chance munster can pry Jason Holland from hurricanes.

I think he would be the singular most important munster signing of the last 5 years if so.

sydthebeat wrote: »

I think he would be the singular most important munster signing of the last 5 years if so.

It's a good shout, but not a chance, he's contracted for another 2 years.... but if we're dreaming..he could bring Vince Aso with him..a player I'd love at Munster :)

sydthebeat wrote: »

Mike Prendergast could be one of the ex players on the list.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,790 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

Rob Howley to Munster. Attack coach

Burkie1203 wrote: »
    Rob Howley to Munster. Attack coach

That's fairly uninspireing

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Howley would be quite a pickup considering his CV.

Can we bring in SOB as an assistant coach too?

Advertisement