Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Munster Team Talk Thread - Beirne After Reading

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,339 ✭✭✭✭phog

razorblunt wrote: »
    Yep, the referee said he was playing advantage for Ryan's not rolling away but I'm pretty sure he never indicated that in real time.
    Given Porter and a few other forwards were laying out with their legs in the exact spot Murray would step to for a box kick a few times beforehand as well and it was a deliberate ploy. Murray had pointed it out but the referee wasn't interested. Poor from him.

Ref was playing an earlier advantage, but if he saw Ryan lying there and blocking the ball being played he should have ran under the sticks and awarded a penalty try and a card for Ryan.

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭Number 137

phog wrote: »
    Ref was playing an earlier advantage, but if he saw Ryan lying there and blocking the ball being played he should have ran under the sticks and awarded a penalty try and a card for Ryan.

I'm going to assume this is sarcasm. Because awarding a penalty try for not rolling would be utterly ridiculous.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,106 ✭✭✭✭ Gary Moldy Memory

Number 137 wrote: »
    I'm going to assume this is sarcasm. Because awarding a penalty try for not rolling would be utterly ridiculous.

Well it would just be such a fundamental misapplication of the laws that the ref would probably never get a game at this level again.

A Munster player has never committed an act of foul play. It's well known.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,339 ✭✭✭✭phog

Number 137 wrote: »

He was killing the ball (professional foul) on the line or as close to the line as makes no difference.

A Munster player has never committed an act of foul play. It's well known.

Nice whataboutery there

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭Lost Ormond

He was killing the ball (professional foul) on the line or as close to the line as makes no difference.

Nice whataboutery there

Do you have any examples of when a penalty try has been awarded before for such an infringement then?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 27,135 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Which is an argument for a yellow card.

Short of a 5 man overlap to one side, and even then it would be questionable, that is not a penalty try.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,858 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

Aside from the fact that there was absolutely ZERO evidence that a try might have been scored , the ball wasn't particularly close to Ryan when Archer shoed him.

If you watch the whole clip , Tadgh Beirne picks the ball up and goes for a dive over the top right at the end- Where Beirne picked it up was several feet to the left of where Ryan was lying.

Ryan wasn't rolling away (or even trying to) but he wasn't blocking the ball.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,134 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

It was far from the only time Ryan was lying on the wrong side like that. Himself and Porter were at it all night

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭Number 137

Nice whataboutery there

The criteria for awarding a penalty try is sanctioning an action that prevents a probable try. Ryan not rolling in this instance very obviously didn't prevent a probable try.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

Caranica wrote: »
    It was far from the only time Ryan was lying on the wrong side like that. Himself and Porter were at it all night

Since Munster have made an artform out of the tackler falling on the wrong side preventing clear outs. To benefit the jackler coming in. That must be the definition of a red tinted spectacles post.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,134 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

stephen_n wrote: »
    Since Munster have made an artform out of the tackler falling on the wrong side preventing clear outs. To benefit the jackler coming in. That must be the definition of a red tinted spectacles post.

It's a comment on an element of the game that stood out to be on both first and second watch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,106 ✭✭✭✭ Gary Moldy Memory

Nice whataboutery there

I'm not really sure you either know the laws around penalty tries or what whataboutery is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭Lost Ormond

Leinster are the kings of that kind of stuff. If Munster have made an art form of it then Leinster are making masterpieces of it....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

There were no new injury concerns following Saturday’s victory over Leinster at the RDS.

RG Snyman is continuing with the final stages of his rehab from a long-term knee injury.

Greencore Munster Rugby Academy trio Jack Crowley, Alex Kendellen and Conor Phillips remain with the national 7s training programme.

Continuing to rehab: Neil Cronin (knee), Paddy Patterson (ankle)

https://www.munsterrugby.ie/2021/04/27/squad-update-190/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 508 ✭✭✭purpleisafruit

This is something that is repeatedly penalised. I watch probably 5 games every weekend and see at least 10 penalties given for this over those games so it's not something that teams are getting away with at pro level

• Registered Users Posts: 2,445 ✭✭✭launish116

Going after Pablo Matera once he finishes with Crusaders?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭The Inbetween is mine

launish116 wrote: »
    Going after Pablo Matera once he finishes with Crusaders?

Wrong thread

• Registered Users Posts: 2,445 ✭✭✭launish116

Wrong thread

Oh I wish it was, Twitter saying Munster are attempting to sign him.

launish116 wrote: »
    Oh I wish it was, Twitter saying Munster are attempting to sign him.

Saw that ..1 online rag mentioned Munster.....not to be taken seriously at all
    Not an immediate area we need strengthening.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Saw that ..1 online rag mentioned Munster.....not to be taken seriously at all
    Not an immediate area we need strengthening.

Well it is an area Munster need strengthening given they just strengthened it with an NIQ signing and Matera would be a considerable upgrade on that player

• Advertisement

Well it is an area Munster need strengthening given they just strengthened it with an NIQ signing and Matera would be a considerable upgrade on that player

They've signed a player on a 12 month contract, they also have young players coming through, this story has absolutely no legs whatsoever

They've signed a player on a 12 month contract, they also have young players coming through, this story has absolutely no legs whatsoever

I've no idea if Munster could actually attract or sign Matera, but its obviously a position that needs strengthening, very very clearly based on Munster's own actions.

I've no idea if Munster could actually attract or sign Matera, but its obviously a position that needs strengthening, very very clearly based on Munster's own actions.

They have signed a player..they will not sign another in that position .. personally I believe Munster wouldn't touch him with a shíte covered stick even if we had nobody to cover

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,137 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

• Registered Users Posts: 3,812 ✭✭✭Jump_In_Jack

The story presumably is talking about after the 2022 Super Rugby season.
    So Jenkins’ contract would be up, and it might be the hope that Matera would replace Jenkins then.

The story presumably is talking about after the 2022 Super Rugby season.
    So Jenkins’ contract would be up, and it might be the hope that Matera would replace Jenkins then.

Paper never refused ink I guess is all we'll take from this story
    Cloete, Coombes, Jack O'D, POM, O'Sullivan, Hodnett, Wycherley off the top of my head all available for the next number of years
    Now if someone had mentioned a TH I'd maybe have sat up and taken notice....but this story isn't even worth regurgitating imo

Paper never refused ink I guess is all we'll take from this story
    Cloete, Coombes, Jack O'D, POM, O'Sullivan, Hodnett, Wycherley off the top of my head all available for the next number of years
    Now if someone had mentioned a TH I'd maybe have sat up and taken notice....but this story isn't even worth regurgitating imo

And Jason Jenkins next season.

Seems mad to me to deny that Munster themselves clearly believe they need to strengthen that position, have signed someone to strengthen it, and Matera is an obvious upgrade on the player they signed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

The racism suspension/non-suspension involving Matera would be a reason why Munster wouldn't sign him. After Grobler, I don't think they want to invite controversy on another signing for the foreseeable. For pure rugby reasons it would be a fantastic signing. We also have no idea where/when Argentina are going to be playing their annual international season.

Cloete and Jack Daly are only signed up for next season so the contract space is there next summer to add Matera. I don't see Munster retaining both Jenkins and Snyman in the second row and the reality is Munster will always need to add a few top level players to supplement the Irish eligible players in order to remain competitive.

The racism suspension/non-suspension involving Matera would be a reason why Munster wouldn't sign him

Great point, completely forgot that situation

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

And Jason Jenkins next season.

Seems mad to me to deny that Munster themselves clearly believe they need to strengthen that position, have signed someone to strengthen it, and Matera is an obvious upgrade on the player they signed.

I think the best you could say is that they believed they needed to strengthen so hence signed Jenkins. I don't think it holds that stance would be the same after signing Jenkins, even if Matera would be an upgrade.

If you mean for after Jenkins 1 year contract, then fair enough tho.

Advertisement