Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Munster Team Talk Thread - Beirne After Reading

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

Is it just me, or has this place gotten really weird lately....?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

aloooof wrote: »
    Is it just me, or has this place gotten really weird lately....?

So what you're saying is we need more John Hayes talk.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭Tomtom364

00150fde-500.jpg
    that doesn't look navy to me? they wore the alternate kit in the warm up if i remember correctly but normal red pro14 kit for the game

Its fascinating how depth perception can throw off proportions in a photo to makes things look much smaller then they are.

That man in the mask is way closer to the camera then Snyman.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,257 ✭✭✭sprucemoose

That’s not Snyman.

is there a joke im missing here or something?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,608 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

is there a joke im missing here or something?

That’s clearly not snyman

• Advertisement

That’s clearly not snyman

i dont get it? it obviously is snyman? its from this article https://www.limerickpost.ie/2021/05/05/cruel-setback-for-munsters-rg-snyman/ am i missing something?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,327 ✭✭✭theVersatile

i dont get it? it obviously is snyman? its from this article https://www.limerickpost.ie/2021/05/05/cruel-setback-for-munsters-rg-snyman/ am i missing something?

The something you're missing is that RG Snyman is not in that photograph

Tomtom364 wrote: »
    Its fascinating how depth perception can throw off proportions in a photo to makes things look much smaller then they are.

That man in the mask is way closer to the camera then Snyman.

Wasn't there a brilliant one doing the rounds before of, I think, Tony Buckley in the background and some scrum half in the foreground?

The something you're missing is that RG Snyman is not in that photograph

i still dont get it, its a picture of snyman and one of the physios/doctors?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,608 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

Will it be an ulster backlash? Or did they go on the lash?
    Is Lowry the great white hope?
    Can alby turn it on?
    Is JJ going to go out on a high?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,499 ✭✭✭Sabre0001

Plenty to be happy with from that game. Some excellent defence on the line, some actual attacking moves and lines - Goggin was running some nice decoy lines and looking like he'd actually take a pass. And we tried to channel Fiji at times :D

If I was to nitpick, I would have liked to see Healy on earlier, especially if he could get some gametime with Murray. When he came on we were on the backfoot and defending and his main job was to try to boot it downfield.

Jenkins/Snyman will add even more bulk and physicality, so hopefully that will really stand to us at the business end of seasons vs the likes of Leinster and the big English/French sides. Until we come up with an alternative way to counter that side of rugby.

Looking at Connacht, it seems like we should revert to type after seeing the Leinster game - kick to corner and maul! Will be interesting to see team selection. I imagine a little more mixing and matching. Casey with Healy or Carbery, maybe Gallagher in at 15, hopefully Salanoa or Knox, prob too much of a stretch to hope for Crowley/Flannery...

🤪

Sabre0001 wrote: »
    If I was to nitpick, I would have liked to see Healy on earlier, especially if he could get some gametime with Murray. When he came on we were on the backfoot and defending and his main job was to try to boot it downfield.

agreed. as callous as it sounds, i dont really want to see JJ getting many more minutes this season, hes gone next season and healy/crowley could do with as much game time as possible seeing as it seems carbery is still going to walk back into the team whenever hes available. harsh on a player who has been fairly underappreciated in both his spells at munster but at this stage its not going to add too much by playing him

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

"Mistaken identity"
    - "Mistaken identity? Who was it then?"
    "Eh, my father is over".

razorblunt wrote: »
    "Mistaken identity"
    - "Mistaken identity? Who was it then?"
    "Eh, my father is over".

i really dont get the joke at this stage

Oh no, it's starting again

🤪

• Registered Users Posts: 1,366 ✭✭✭yerrahbah

Squad update:

https://www.munsterrugby.ie/2021/05/11/squad-update-munster-prepare-for-connacht-clash-2/

RG underwent surgery on the new knee injury

Tomas Ahern has gone from returning to training last week to unavailable this week.
    Hard to know what to read if anything into that

Unavailable list:

Jack Crowley
    Alex Kendellen
    Conor Phillips
    Thomas Ahern
    RG Snyman
    Neil Cronin
    Paddy Patterson

Expect plenty of rotation again for the Connacht game

I suspect it's likely Casey will start this one? Interesting to see what they do at 10 then. I don't think we've seen Joey and Casey starting together this season while 5 out of 6 of Healy's starts have been with Casey.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

I'd expect Carbery and Casey to start as JVG mentioned that lineups would be rotated.

I'd expect Carbery and Casey to start as JVG mentioned that lineups would be rotated.

I'd be pretty exited to see that pair together, tho they might need a bit of help defensively.

• Details on Round 4, 5 and 6 of the Rainbow Cup were released:

Round 4 - Cardiff (H) - Friday, May 28 - 7.35pm
    Round 6 - Zebra (A) - Friday, June 11 - 6.00pm
    The province will have a bye-week in Round 5. Teams in the northern Guinness PRO14 Rainbow Cup will play a total of five games across six rounds prior to the final while teams previously scheduled to host a South African team will receive a bye week between Rounds 4 to 6.

You would have to imagine that topping the table is extremely possible judging those fixtures.

• Advertisement

• Alex Kendellen, Conor Phillips and Jack Crowley named in the Irish 7s squad for this weekend

• Registered Users Posts: 2,327 ✭✭✭theVersatile

Alex Kendellen and Jack Crowley named in the Irish 7s squad for this weekend

And Conor Philips

• And Conor Philips

Swift edit :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,339 ✭✭✭✭phog

Details on Round 4, 5 and 6 of the Rainbow Cup were released:

Round 4 - Cardiff (H) - Friday, May 28 - 7.35pm
    Round 6 - Zebra (A) - Friday, June 11 - 6.00pm

You would have to imagine that topping the table is extremely possible judging those fixtures.

Do you remember when the Celtic League had an uneven number of teams and one team each round had a bye week but they got 4 (?) points for not playing, mad stuff really as at the end of the tournament every team had got the bye week and the points.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭Tomtom364

phog wrote: »
    Do you remember when the Celtic League had an uneven number of teams and one team each round had a bye week but they got 4 (?) points for not playing, mad stuff really as at the end of the tournament every team had got the bye week and the points.

To be fair that just made it alot easier to read the tables as you didnt need to factor in who still had a bye week and who didnt.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,339 ✭✭✭✭phog

Tomtom364 wrote: »
    To be fair that just made it alot easier to read the tables as you didnt need to factor in who still had a bye week and who didnt.

Well you did really as if you're team didn't have a bye yet, you knew they'd get the 4 points at some stage but teams just above or below you on the table might have had their gifted 4 points.

Anyway, thankfully that's long gone.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,137 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

Team for tomorrow.

Munster: Matt Gallagher; Andrew Conway, Dan Goggin, Damian de Allende, Shane Daly; Ben Healy, Craig Casey; James Cronin, Rhys Marshall, John Ryan; Jean Kleyn, Billy Holland; Gavin Coombes, Peter O’Mahony (C), CJ Stander.

Replacements: Niall Scannell, Dave Kilcoyne, Stephen Archer, Tadhg Beirne, Jack O’Donoghue, Conor Murray, Joey Carbery, Keith Earls.

I'm actually annoyed by how little game time that the young front rows are getting. This is a nothing competition and IMO the should be playing.

Was really hoping we'd see Knox/Salanoa at the very least. Or Wycherly if recovered from injury. I know O'Byrne isn't one of the young front rows, but I've been fond of him and he played well this season (a few lineouts gone awry aside) - shame he doesn't seem to be getting much of a look in too.

To some, it's a nothing competition, but it's clear that Munster are targeting this for silverware. The players have talked about going into the season aiming to win 3 trophies and this is the last hurrah for some players and a good chance to win one. At the same time, we could strike more of a balance at blooding (and would some of the youngsters really be that much of a step down?). Edit: Looking at the Connacht and Leinster teams, it seems that it's mainly some supporters talking the Rainbow Cup down. Some mixing and matching, but can't say that strong sides aren't being named.

Good to see Gallagher, Goggin outside DDA, Healy, Daly and Casey anyways. Hopefully they're provided a platform. Hopefully we see Casey with Joey for a spell too.

🤪

• Registered Users Posts: 3,812 ✭✭✭Jump_In_Jack

Team for tomorrow.

Munster: Matt Gallagher; Andrew Conway, Dan Goggin, Damian de Allende, Shane Daly; Ben Healy, Craig Casey; James Cronin, Rhys Marshall, John Ryan; Jean Kleyn, Billy Holland; Gavin Coombes, Peter O’Mahony (C), CJ Stander.

Replacements: Niall Scannell, Dave Kilcoyne, Stephen Archer, Tadhg Beirne, Jack O’Donoghue, Conor Murray, Joey Carbery, Keith Earls.

I'm actually annoyed by how little game time that the young front rows are getting. This is a nothing competition and IMO the should be playing.

I thought I read an article recently that said there is potentially a big reward for winning, and that if they can have a final between the South African winner and the Pro12 leader it would increase again.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,137 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

I thought I read an article recently that said there is potentially a big reward for winning, and that if they can have a final between the South African winner and the Pro12 leader it would increase again.
    When an Irish province wins a competition the prize money goes into the IRFU central kitty, not to the province.

Advertisement