Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Munster Team Talk Thread - Beirne After Reading

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 486 ✭✭Shaka Hislop

I'm not sure what has happened with regards Rhys Marshall...for me, he was the best hooker at Munster, he picked up injuries last season and just hasn't gotten (or been given) a look in since...and is returning back to New Zealand to play.
    One of the players who should have had an impact, but hasn't worked out under VanGraan unfortunately

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,339 ✭✭✭✭phog

When an Irish province wins a competition the prize money goes into the IRFU central kitty, not to the province.

As far I recall at one of the MRSC AGMs it was said that the provinces get to keep the prizemoney for the Pro14.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,812 ✭✭✭Jump_In_Jack

Fairly strong team for Connacht, the bench is very strong as is Connacht's team and bench, makes for a good match.

I think we should be putting out a team like this for Cardiff,
    Pack: Kilcoyne, Scannell, Archer, Beirne, Kleyn, O'Mahony, Cloete, Coombes,
    Backs: Murray, Carbery, Earls, De Allende, Farrell, Conway, Haley.
    Bench: O'Byrne, Loughman, Ryan, Wycherley, O'Donoghue, Casey, Scannell, Goggin.

Basically full strength based on who we have next season, and going with experience over youth for Scannell over Healy as 10 cover, and Goggin over Daly for back cover.

If we can win against Connacht and Cardiff I think we can afford to rotate a bit more against Zebre as perhaps the pressure would be off by then as not many team will have won 4 from 4.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,257 ✭✭✭sprucemoose

Whatever about the quality of teams in the pro14, the standard of referees needs to seriously improve before anything else, that was one of the worst performances I've seen in recent times. Shocking stuff from Munster too but that must've been so frustrating

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,039 ✭✭✭KrustyUCC

Very very frustrating

We make it so hard for ourselves

Our skills and discipline let us down time after time

Great opportunity to kick on and make a final

I fear it's been lost now but hopefully not

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,327 ✭✭✭theVersatile

Yeah shot ourselves in the foot there. All fairly fixable stuff though, 14 Connacht points from breakaways and God knows how many points left behind. To use an NFL stat, our "redzone percentage" must've been woeful.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,039 ✭✭✭KrustyUCC

Yeah it really would

We huffed and puffed near the line but made so many mistakes

Lost lineouts, lost scrums, knock ons, penalties conceded we did it all

Jesus the difference with ulster shape is fairly startling I think I'm on the jvg out train at this point 3 years of the same issues is pretty damning

• Registered Users Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭ClanofLams

Whatever about the quality of teams in the pro14, the standard of referees needs to seriously improve before anything else, that was one of the worst performances I've seen in recent times. Shocking stuff from Munster too but that must've been so frustrating

So frustrating for both teams I presume you mean, last Munster try clearly illegal as Holland well in front before maul set which really should have been picked up by Joy Neville along with some very questionable Jack O’Donoghue clear outs that should have been looked at and a pass ruled forward that was very likely to result in try which went backwards. Standers statement about playing against more than 15 is ridiculous.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Jesus the difference with ulster shape is fairly startling I think I'm on the jvg out train at this point 3 years of the same issues is pretty damning

Agreed I’m on there now too. Some ole same, one out carries, De Allende shouting for it, Goggin staying mute and Murray watching the forward. The scratched off try came from a seriously broken passage of play too.

The discipline is shocking it’s full of repeated silly stuff too and never seems to get rectified.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

ClanofLams wrote: »
    So frustrating for both teams I presume you mean, last Munster try clearly illegal as Holland well in front before maul set which really should have been picked up by Joy Neville along with some very questionable Jack O’Donoghue clear outs that should have been looked at and a pass ruled forward that was very likely to result in try which went backwards. Standers statement about playing against more than 15 is ridiculous.

Joy Neville is appalling, much more competent as a refere than a TMO and has been like this since the 6 Nations.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

Ulster did us a favour tonight. We need 10 points from cardiff and Zebre and we're in a final (assuming Benetton don't get 11/12 points from last 3 games (and if they do, fair fu*ks to them and they deserve it))

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,134 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

razorblunt wrote: »
    Joy Neville is appalling, much more competent as a refere than a TMO and has been like this since the 6 Nations.

She overcompensates when she's TMO on a Munster game, worse than Frank Murphy!

So frustrated watching last night's game. Ironic that it was former Munster players who really hurt us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

Caranica wrote: »
    She overcompensates when she's TMO on a Munster game, worse than Frank Murphy!

So frustrated watching last night's game. Ironic that it was former Munster players who really hurt us.

She really shouldn’t be allowed to o referee games involving Munster. There’s a clear conflict of interest that will affect her decisions (not her fault, no referee should be allowed to officiate in a game involving a former team)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭Lost Ormond

Akrasia wrote: »
    She really shouldn’t be allowed to o referee games involving Munster. There’s a clear conflict of interest that will affect her decisions (not her fault, no referee should be allowed to officiate in a game involving a former team)
    Very difficult in a cross country league which will see domestic refs do a lot of games in their country and around 75-80% of the high performance/high performance development group refs are from Munster/members of Munster Association of Referees.
    Until that changes there almost always will be Munster officials involved in Munster games

• Registered Users Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭FrannoFan

Only watched the game now. After the online narrative and stander comments that munster were somehow done by the ref I was expecting some horror show from the officials but they have been fine. Got the big calls right on the two disallowed tries. Pro14 is poorly officiated in general but this was not one of those particularly bad outings from the officials.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,499 ✭✭✭Sabre0001

No game this weekend to put things right. We'll likely see close to full strength for the remaining games in a bid to pick up BP wins and hope for the best elsewhere. I could see JJ getting game time ahead of Healy - while Healy is here next season and needs the mins, aside from kicking from hand and tee I think he's struggled in games (not just the Connacht game). Think JJ is more likely to contribute to the scoring of 4 tries.

Would still like to see Salanoa and Knox making appearances at TH, Wycherley at LH, Ahern if he can recover from injury, and Jack O'Sullivan who seems to have fallen down pecking order. Gallagher also needs mins it seems from the Conn game (although it wasn't a night to remember for the backline) - Haley definitely making the 15 jersey his own and most likely to play remaining two games.

🤪

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

I wouldn't play JJ again. We have Carbery as the starter and the likes of Healy are going to be the backups next season.

The players in the pack who are leaving didn't do enough to justify being included again either. We have close to a fully fit squad and don't need to use them.

I wouldn't play JJ again. We have Carbery as the starter and the likes of Healy are going to be the backups next season.
    much as i think youre correct, i dont agree with carbery being the guaranteed starter. healy and crowley are potentially better players imo (already better 10s anyway) and i havent seen enough (yet anyway) from carbery to show him being a nailed on starter when fit
    The players in the pack who are leaving didn't do enough to justify being included again either. We have close to a fully fit squad and don't need to use them.
    in fairness to stander hes earned a final send off

Sabre0001 wrote: »
    while Healy is here next season and needs the mins, aside from kicking from hand and tee I think he's struggled in games (not just the Connacht game).
    he was mixed the last night but in fairness hes been shoved in and out of the team/bench since the european games and the lack of game-time showed. i think hes probably the best long-term option of the four current 10s (crowley could be it but we've barely seen him) but its hard to get anywhere without a bit of consistency

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,134 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

Other than Cronin and Marshall scoring tries you mean?

Our lineout is a disaster at the moment and while Marshall wasn't fantastic in Friday, Scannell isn't either!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,366 ✭✭✭yerrahbah

https://www.instagram.com/stories/rgsnyman/2575534564002112109/?hl=en

RG back running which is great news for SA ahead of the Lions

Rainbow Cup might be a bit too soon for him

Snyman & Beirne as our starting locks..I don't think there's a partnership that excites me more in the NH for next season

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭greenkiwi1

Caranica wrote: »
    Other than Cronin and Marshall scoring tries you mean?

Our lineout is a disaster at the moment and while Marshall wasn't fantastic in Friday, Scannell isn't either!

If either KOB or Marshall had as much game time as Scannell they would probably be close to Irish camp selection. Kelleher has improved on his line out stats recently so that proves that this area of hooker can be changed for the good with regular game time.....

I'm like a broken record...but Marshall is the one that got away...he had the best all around game of any of our hookers, was arguably the form hooker in the country 2 years ago, then injury and loss of form hit...and wham....it's al gone to pot.
    I think there's a bit more to this story and we may get to hear it when he starts playing back in NZ next season

• Registered Users Posts: 1,366 ✭✭✭yerrahbah

https://www.the42.ie/munster-7-5439224-May2021/

The team is on a down week and seemingly JVG is still intent on spreading game time across the squad.

37 players used across the three Rainbow Cup games so far

“As a group we said there are lads that are going to get opportunities in the coming few weeks; we are not going to vary from that just because we have lost the (Connacht) game,” said van Graan.

sad to see stephen fitzgerald has to retire. couldnt have seen him coming back to munster anytime soon but he always seemed solid for connacht

sad to see stephen fitzgerald has to retire. couldnt have seen him coming back to munster anytime soon but he always seemed solid for connacht

Yeah, harsh way to have end a career. People can be very hard on players at times but Fitz is a guy like many more who went to make a living from playing rugby and his livelihood is cut short through injury, his world just turned upside down. Gotta feel for players like him.

• James Cronin has announced hw is moving on from Munster this summer. No mention of where he is heading to.

James Cronin has announced hw is moving on from Munster this summer. No mention of where he is heading to.

Shame really, I always rated him but it's hardly a surprise at this stage that he's moving on.

I hope he gets a good club to continue with his playing career.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,713 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Munster could probably do with an NIQ loosehead to be honest, with Killer's age and the fact he'll be in the Irish squad, you're down to Loughman and O'Connor as the other two more experienced looseheads while French and Wycherley develop, which isn't great.

Advertisement