Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Munster Team Talk Thread - Beirne After Reading

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,119 ✭✭✭OldRio

Well this Cardiff game is rather poor esp Munster.

Ignore, just seen match thread

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

No, I'm not saying they are, the tiny minority is really only one poster. And this isn't about criticism of refs, it's about saying that a given ref has it in for a given team. Or attacking someone who says that maybe that's an unfair assertion.

Maybe I'm too old for this "Internet" thing but that's a level of bitterness I can't even comprehend tbh. The ref's job has never been harder and they're all doing their best.
    Just on the ref note, two things:

1. I thought Brace did well to walk Cardiff back 10 twice for chatting back. The refs have gone too much into the “mates” side of things in my opinion and it’s time they took back control

2. The TMO really needs to stop tip toeing around decisions, if they think (for example) the ball never left the ruck then say that don’t just sit there and say “I need you to look at this again”.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,752 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

razorblunt wrote: »

1. I thought Brace did well to walk Cardiff back 10 twice for chatting back. The refs have gone too much into the “mates” side of things in my opinion and it’s time they took back control

2. The TMO really needs to stop tip toeing around decisions, if they think (for example) the ball never left the ruck then say that don’t just sit there and say “I need you to look at this again”.

I don't think the TMO is actually allowed make decisions though. All they can do is ask the ref of they are still happy that their interpretation is correct. Therefore the TMO last night asked Brace twice if he was happy that the ball left the ruck. Now maybe Brace didn't understand the point of the question, but he responded twice by saying 'he's kicked it back into the ruck' implying that it had left the ruck in his eyes.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

razorblunt wrote: »

He asked him twice if he was sure the ball left the ruck. It was fairly clear and obvious what he was saying but Brace choose to ignore him. He had made his mind up and wasn’t listening. Which was pretty much the same with all the TMO decisions. Brace watched the footage and made his mind up based on that, pretty much disregarding the TMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

The referee is in charge. He makes the final decision. I don't think it helps that the TMO and referee are broadcast live. They walk a tight rope in terms of not wanting to undermine one another on a live broadcast. I imagine they could have far more honest and useful exchanges if they weren't aware tens of thousands of people are listening to them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 508 ✭✭✭purpleisafruit

No, he said he's "usually a good ref" except that he deliberately targets Munster. That is not a compliment. It's nonsense too.
    Referees, just like players, go through patches of form. Some weeks they're good, others they're not so good. In the same way that we can criticize the performance of a player, we're also allowed to criticize the performance of a referee but continue on with your snarky comments about my opinions if that makes you happy.
    This has nothing to do with decisions for or against Munster. I'm concerned more with consistency in application of the laws of the game. It should be reasonable for a player to believe that if they do X, the referee should do Y. I think nobody benefits when the consequence of X is sometimes Y, sometimes Z and sometimes A depending on scoreline/time left in the game or some other random factor.

Referees, just like players, go through patches of form. Some weeks they're good, others they're not so good. In the same way that we can criticize the performance of a player, we're also allowed to criticize the performance of a referee but continue on with your snarky comments about my opinions if that makes you happy.
    This has nothing to do with decisions for or against Munster. I'm concerned more with consistency in application of the laws of the game. It should be reasonable for a player to believe that if they do X, the referee should do Y. I think nobody benefits when the consequence of X is sometimes Y, sometimes Z and sometimes A depending on scoreline/time left in the game or some other random factor.

It’s also reasonable to believe that after each game a referee is assessed. Therefore there will be changes in their interpretation from game to game. All we can really expect is consistency in a game. Which we don’t always get.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,339 ✭✭✭✭phog

Unfortunately, Connacht did us no favours tonight. We need them to beat Ospreys next week and Ospreys then to beat Benneton. Then hope Leinster beat Glasgow and we get a BPO win over Zebre.

I think that's it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Our Western friends are doing their best to feck this up for us and we give them so many players! :pac:

I think Munster are still favourites to qualify but I'm concerned that Ospreys will phone it in against Benetton. If Benetton run the table, so be it. It would be a fantastic achievement considering how they couldn't buy a win (sometimes through self-inflicted errors) in the Pro14.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,810 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

phog wrote: »
    Unfortunately, Connacht did us no favours tonight. We need them to beat Ospreys next week and Ospreys then to beat Benneton. Then hope Leinster beat Glasgow and we get a BPO win over Zebre.

I think that's it

We have a healthy PD so think TBP for us main concern. Need Benetton to lose alright but unless other teams get tbps and massive wins should be ok.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭Tomtom364

Munster have a 30 point lead on Ospreys.
    So we actually want Ospreys to beat Connacht Next week with a TBP so that they go in to the game against Treviso with a chance or taking the no.1 spot.
    now, it would be a slim chance, but its better then them heading in to a dead rubber and letting Treviso get the win.

Must say, fair play to Treviso managing to get some wins together and its Munster's own fault for their poor preformance against Connacht putting them in the position they are in. But it is a bit of a shambles that Treviso could get to the final having got to play Zebre twice.

If you compare the fixtures of the two teams using a combined table of the 2020/2021 pro14 results.
    Munster - Treviso
    Connacht - Connacht = Same
    Zebre - Zebre = Same
    Cardiff - Ospreys = Similar Cardiff ranked 7th Ospreys ranked 6th

But then

Leinster - Zebre = No brainer 1st vs 11th
    Ulster - Glasgow = No brainer 2nd vs 8th

• Registered Users Posts: 2,327 ✭✭✭theVersatile

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,257 ✭✭✭sprucemoose

stephen_n wrote: »
    He asked him twice if he was sure the ball left the ruck. It was fairly clear and obvious what he was saying but Brace choose to ignore him. He had made his mind up and wasn’t listening.

from my knowledge of the laws the TMO was wrong though and brace was correct. whether the ball was actually out of the ruck is technically immaterial as any intentional action to move the ball forward/'into' the ruck is illegal. now, i get this is kinda inconsistent when you now have 9s rolling the ball a couple of metres to the back of a 'caterpillar' ruck, but thats a rant for a different day

from my knowledge of the laws the TMO was wrong though and brace was correct. whether the ball was actually out of the ruck is technically immaterial as any intentional action to move the ball forward/'into' the ruck is illegal. now, i get this is kinda inconsistent when you now have 9s rolling the ball a couple of metres to the back of a 'caterpillar' ruck, but thats a rant for a different day

The law says “return the ball into the ruck” which would suggest it had to leave in the first place. Like all laws that’s open to interpretation. Mind you reading through that, shows exactly how many laws are broken in every single ruck during a game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,845 ✭✭✭shootermacg

stephen_n wrote: »
    The law says “return the ball into the ruck” which would suggest it had to leave in the first place. Like all laws that’s open to interpretation. Mind you reading through that, shows exactly how many laws are broken in every single ruck during a game.

I suppose intent comes into it in these situations. The 9 himself, believed that ball to be out and chose to move it back in, which is cynical play.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 486 ✭✭Shaka Hislop

Hospital waiting room time, just perusing an article about Tommy O'Donnell... I hadn't realised that Munster had offered him a 1 year extension & he decided to turn it down.

MRSC have offered Season Tickets for members for the coming season.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,137 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

MRSC have offered Season Tickets for members for the coming season.
    And it confirms 9 homes games in the Pro16 and 2 in the CC. So the same CC format as last season and probably 18 regular season Pro16 games.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,366 ✭✭✭yerrahbah

And it confirms 9 homes games in the Pro16 and 2 in the CC. So the same CC format as last season and probably 18 regular season Pro16 games.

I wouldnt say that just yet
    We are basing our offering on the expanded league format with four former South African Super Rugby sides joining the tournament fully next season. Our European ticket options are based on the 2020/21 Champions Cup model with two home pool games as the tournament format for next season has not been finalised at this stage

yerrahbah wrote: »
    I wouldnt say that just yet
    Just saw that and was about to correct my post. I hadn't seen the full text when I posted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,897 ✭✭✭✭Riskymove

one change is it seems you cannot choose different categories for Pro16 and CC

• Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭Tomtom364

Riskymove wrote: »

Makes sense with limited tickets available really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,503 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

Riskymove wrote: »

Could you do that before? I was terrace for all of them so not sure

Another two changes - the cork season ticket now includes all three of the interpros and kids tickets for Pro games are no longer free

Could you do that before? I was terrace for all of them so not sure

Another two changes - the cork season ticket now includes all three of the interpros and kids tickets for Pro games are no longer free
    You used to be able to choose different tickets for the Euro games than the league games. Most probably didn't avail of that option though (I don't know anyone who did anyways).

The Cork ticket used to be 4 games plus the 3 Euros games in Limerick. Now it's two games in Cork plus the interpros and two Euro games in Limerick.

The kids tickets will be free again after capacity restrictions are lifted.

I knew a group that used to get stand tickets for the H/Cup and terrace tickets for the Pro14.

I knew a group that used to get stand tickets for the H/Cup and terrace tickets for the Pro14.

Sounds like a loophole to get the H/Cup games at a smaller cost

Not exactly what the season ticket was designed for

I don't understand how they get them cheaper, they're paying for stand tickets rather than terrace. Their reasoning is so they can be a bit more comfortable and retain your "spot" in a crowed stadium if you leave it at halftime. I also think it allows them get to the MRSC bar quicker after the game.

Yes, a smaller cost for more expensive stand tickets in the more expensive competition :rolleyes:

And it wasn't a loophole, it was something that the MRSC offered. The ProXX ST and the Euro ST have always been different tickets. You have to show a different side of your card to the scanner depending which competition you're attending.

Yes, a smaller cost for more expensive stand tickets in the more expensive competition :rolleyes:

And it wasn't a loophole, it was something that the MRSC offered. The ProXX ST and the Euro ST have always been different tickets. You have to show a different side of your card to the scanner depending which competition you're attending.

Yeah but in realism what happens is they spend the few quid extra to secure the European games and then don't bother showing up to the ProXX games

For me, the barcode was the same on both sides... You've now explained why that is haha!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,134 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

My friends had seats a row further back and a few seats down for the H Cup compared to their Pro 14 seats. Not by choice but someone else had their (better) seats for the Euro games.

Advertisement