Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Munster Team Talk Thread - Beirne After Reading

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Congrats to Treviso all the same.
    You can grumble about their side of the draw but they did everything that was asked of them.

I hope they go well in the final.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 925 ✭✭✭mun1

Best of luck to Benetton treviso in the final .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,366 ✭✭✭yerrahbah

Wonder if that will change Munsters selection for Friday.

Hopefully we see a few more youngsters given a run out

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,339 ✭✭✭✭phog

Disappointing form Munster pov but understandable in a year where we've been lucky to have rugby to watch. Can't see it happening but I'm hoping Bennetton can go and win the final now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,483 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

I think I'm naturally prejudice against Benetton and I was hoping Munster could make it to the final they would be great representatives for the Northern Hemisphere in the final. But i have to say I thought Benetton were good and very creative in the Connacht game 2 weeks ago. Amazing to think they didn't win a game in the Pro 14 last season.

I'm used to supporting Munster, and the other Irish provinces when my own team isn't playing, so here's something I've never said before:
    C'mon Benetton!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,327 ✭✭✭theVersatile

Munster: Matt Gallagher; Andrew Conway, Chris Farrell, Rory Scannell, Liam Coombes; Joey Carbery, Craig Casey; Dave Kilcoyne, Niall Scannell, John Ryan; Jean Kleyn, Fineen Wycherley; Peter O’Mahony (C), Jack O’Donoghue, Gavin Coombes.

Replacements: Kevin O’Byrne, Liam O’Connor, Roman Salanoa, Thomas Ahern, Billy Holland, Nick McCarthy, Jake Flannery, Chris Cloete.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

I really don't understand the use of the THs over the tournament.

Holland on the bench is bizarre. Surely that spot could be given to JOS or Jack Daly.

I'm sure the IRFU mandate that players in Ireland contention have to play but I can't make sense of a few of those selections.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,499 ✭✭✭Sabre0001

I would have liked to see O'Connor or Salanoa get a run out with experience around them. Hopefully we'll finish with a convincing performance, but going to be hard to be too amped for this one.

🤪

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,257 ✭✭✭sprucemoose

Holland on the bench is bizarre. Surely that spot could be given to JOS or Jack Daly.

presume its just to give him a send off

much as hes been a long term player ive never really been a fan tbh.

presume its just to give him a send off

much as hes been a long term player ive never really been a fan tbh.

He's had games over the tournament as a send off.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,499 ✭✭✭Sabre0001

Yeah the emotional send off makes less sense without a crowd. At the same time he'll likely be on at the same time as a lot of greener players so will add some experience (if we're to look for a reason for this selection...)

🤪

Sabre0001 wrote: »
    Yeah the emotional send off makes less sense without a crowd. At the same time he'll likely be on at the same time as a lot of greener players so will add some experience (if we're to look for a reason for this selection...)

I just realized Ahern is on the bench. I'll be quiet! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,327 ✭✭✭theVersatile

Just 4 Munster players in the Irish 20s squad out of 34.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 486 ✭✭Shaka Hislop

Another twist in the James Cronin story....as we know, he's to be released by Munster at the month's end.....
    Connacht have expressed interest in signing him, and Munster have let it be known that they would match any offer Connacht put to him..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,483 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

Another twist in the James Cronin story....as we know, he's to be released by Munster at the month's end.....
    Connacht have expressed interest in signing him, and Munster have let it be known that they would match any offer Connacht put to him..

What does this mean? They don't want anyone else to have him unless he goes abroad?

Does it suggest IRFU interference?

As I said on the Connacht thread, I've no idea why Munster would do a volte-face on Cronin. If he signs for Connacht, does it really matter? This is all agenting.

Munster will have Kilcoyne as the starter for the big games, LOC and Loughman as solid options behind him and Wycherley and French developing.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,137 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

As I said on the Connacht thread, I've no idea why Munster would do a volte-face on Cronin. If he signs for Connacht, does it really matter? This is all agenting.

Munster will have Kilcoyne as the starter for the big games, LOC and Loughman as solid options behind him and Wycherley and French developing.
    I'd assume that the only reason that he's leaving is that he didn't like the numbers offered by Munster. It seems most players got offers, but at largely reduced rates. It's sounds like he can't get a better offer from abroad if Connacht is his only other option, so maybe the Munster contract offer is still open.

What does this mean? They don't want anyone else to have him unless he goes abroad?

Does it suggest IRFU interference?

It seems they want to to keep him.. but had to make cuts in staff..it was looking as if he would go to France for a wage increase.... but, if he's willing to stay in Ireland at Connacht...it seems Munster will make the same wage available if he stays here.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,790 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

Maybe Munster think they can convince one of the other LH to head to connacht for a season or 2 with IRFU assistance?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,138 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

I don't get how this would jack up his value to foreign clubs though?

Sounds like nonsense to me. Would be absolutely terrible optics for Munster and I can't see the IRFU entertaining it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,952 ✭✭✭TRC10

Surely Munster can't give him a new contract now. It would look absolutely terrible for them. What did they honestly think was going to happen? They released him, and he's found a new club.

This is like when your ex bird gets a new fella and now you want her back.

TRC10 wrote: »
    Surely Munster can't give him a new contract now. It would look absolutely terrible for them. What did they honestly think was going to happen? They released him, and he's found a new club.

This is like when your ex bird gets a new fella and now you want her back.

It seems that he was sounded out by French clubs with a decent pay increase.
    No issues there.. couldn't be matched.... Connacht are making an offer.... that Munster can, and probably will match...it's economics, nothing more

• Registered Users Posts: 24,767 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

After the way they were more than happy to take Salanoa from Leinster regardless of how light that would leave them, I can't but find this move frustrating. They don't need Cronin. They were happy to let him go. But after being looked after in other areas by the IRFU a few times they now want to prevent themselves from returning the favour despite having more than enough cover at LH already. I really hope the IRFU tell them to get stuffed. A simple "you can do what you want with your money, but we'll remember this when you come looking for things next time".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,845 ✭✭✭shootermacg

molloyjh wrote: »
    After the way they were more than happy to take Salanoa from Leinster regardless of how light that would leave them, I can't but find this move frustrating. They don't need Cronin. They were happy to let him go. But after being looked after in other areas by the IRFU a few times they now want to prevent themselves from returning the favour despite having more than enough cover at LH already. I really hope the IRFU tell them to get stuffed. A simple "you can do what you want with your money, but we'll remember this when you come looking for things next time".

Jesus, that's a terrible post. I don't want to speculate, but I am guessing that Munster offered him as much as they were authorized to pay. Connacht can't really top that offer, so I'd say it's Munster saying the door is still open at the previous price that the IRFU defined. There's been zero talk of Munster being happy to let him go.

And how you join some dots in your head and come up with Salanoa is beyond my powers of deduction!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

After the way they were more than happy to take Salanoa from Leinster regardless of how light that would leave them, I can't but find this move frustrating.

On the Salanoa point, do you think Munster should have considered how light it would leave Leinster? That's really not their remit. It is the remit of the IRFU who were happy to sanction it. Your beef there should be with Nucifora, not Munster.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

Not sure what the confusion is. Sounds like Munster are just clarifying that they will at least be offering Cronin whatever deal Connacht offer, i.e., they're not cutting him loose.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,767 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

aloooof wrote: »
    On the Salanoa point, do you think Munster should have considered how light it would leave Leinster? That's really not their remit. It is the remit of the IRFU who were happy to sanction it. Your beef there should be with Nucifora, not Munster.

Thats not at all what I'm saying. What I'm saying is that Munster are happy to take whatever helping hands they can get but are also more than happy to actively prevent others from getting what they need, even though they have no real use for Cronin at all. If the IRFU allow that then it's very frustrating. But it's also a complete dick move from Munster. It's the "we need X so we should get it regardless of where that leaves anyone else, but at the same time we should ensure others don't get what they need regardless of whether it really affects us or not" thing. It's entitled BS. And they should really be told where to go with that.

Thats not at all what I'm saying. What I'm saying is that Munster are happy to take whatever helping hands they can get but are also more than happy to actively prevent others from getting what they need, even though they have no real use for Cronin at all. If the IRFU allow that then it's very frustrating. But it's also a complete dick move from Munster. It's the "we need X so we should get it regardless of where that leaves anyone else, but at the same time we should ensure others don't get what they need regardless of whether it really affects us or not" thing. It's entitled BS. And they should really be told where to go with that.

What do you mean no use? I'd wager he's started as many games as anyone for us this year

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

Cronin started 14 games this season. In what way is that “no real use at all”?

Yet you’re bemoaning Munster being allowed sign Salanoa who played, what, 3 games for Leinster in total?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,845 ✭✭✭shootermacg

Don't remember the moral outrage when Leinster took a certain Connacht centre.

Advertisement