Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Munster Team Talk Thread - Beirne After Reading

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭Lost Ormond

phog wrote: »
    Fixtures for next season - I'm assuming we're having AIs but I don't see them on the IRFU site.

I'm calling the round of 16 as a knockout for ease of fitting it into my list. The Irish games and the ERC final have confirmed dates the rest are weekending on the Sunday.
    We're due to play New Zealand, Argentina in November and ive seen some places say the 3rd game is Maona Pasifka

• Registered Users Posts: 11,810 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

They give the weekend dates for each round/knockout games and confirmed the final date and venue.

Sorry meant final date. Ah nice one!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,952 ✭✭✭TRC10

We're due to play New Zealand, Argentina in November and ive seen some places say the 3rd game is Maona Pasifka

NZ, Japan and Moana Pasifika I believe

• Registered Users Posts: 2,327 ✭✭✭theVersatile

First of the awards out:

Ben Healy - Academy POTS
    https://twitter.com/Munsterrugby/status/1405476090328633344?s=19

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,257 ✭✭✭sprucemoose

First of the awards out:

Ben Healy - Academy POTS
    https://twitter.com/Munsterrugby/status/1405476090328633344?s=19

i wish they had given him a proper run in the bigger games, hes the best of the 10s (havent seen much of crowley or flannery to be fair) and hes form was patchy with all the changing at 10. i really hope his development isnt stunted and he becomes another JJ

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭Lost Ormond

i wish they had given him a proper run in the bigger games, hes the best of the 10s (havent seen much of crowley or flannery to be fair) and hes form was patchy with all the changing at 10. i really hope his development isnt stunted and he becomes another JJ

I think going on about becoming another JJ is harsh and way too early to say anyway if he will be a top level 10 or anything else.
    Crowley and/or Flannery will probably have to look to play another position as well with Joey and Ben as 10s and Flannery is probably best option for that and more suited to playing 12 or more likely 15.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

A career like JJ's isn't to be scoffed at!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,483 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

Fixtures for next season - I'm assuming we're having AIs but I don't see them on the IRFU site.

I'm calling the round of 16 as a knockout for ease of fitting it into my list. The Irish games and the ERC final have confirmed dates the rest are weekending on the Sunday.

Weekending Competition Stage
    26/09/21 URC Rnd1
    03/10/21 URC Rnd2
    10/10/21 URC Rnd3
    17/10/21 URC Rnd4
    24/10/21 URC Rnd5
    31/10/21 URC Rnd6
    07/11/21
    14/11/21
    21/11/21
    28/11/21
    05/12/21 URC Rnd7
    12/12/21 ERC Rnd1
    19/12/21 ERC Rnd2
    26/12/21 URC Rnd8
    02/01/22 URC Rnd9
    09/01/22 URC Rnd10
    16/01/22 ERC Rnd3
    23/01/22 ERC Rnd4
    30/01/22 URC Rnd11
    05/02/22 6Ns v Wales
    12/02/22 6Ns v France
    20/02/22 URC Rnd12
    27/02/22 6Ns v Italy
    06/03/22 URC Rnd13
    12/03/22 6Ns v England
    19/03/22 6Ns v Scotland
    27/03/22 URC Rnd14
    03/04/22 URC Rnd15
    10/04/22 ERC Knockout 1
    17/04/22 ERC Knockout 2
    24/04/22 URC Rnd16
    01/05/22 URC Rnd17
    08/05/22 ERC QF
    15/05/22 ERC SF
    22/05/22 URC Rnd18
    28/05/22 ERC Final
    05/06/22 URC QF
    12/06/22 URC SF
    19/06/22
    26/06/22 URC Final

That's really useful. I've just copied that table to my work diary to pop up every Friday morning. Something to look forward to at the weekend!

I think going on about becoming another JJ is harsh and way too early to say anyway if he will be a top level 10 or anything else.
    im just saying JJ wasnt given enough gametime when starting out and it hindered his development massively/forced him to leave. healy mightnt have as decorated an underage career but i just worry that hes not going to get any sort of meaningful gametime unless carbery is injured. especially if a 6-2 split is used in the subs, can easily see scannell being the back cover
    Crowley and/or Flannery will probably have to look to play another position as well with Joey and Ben as 10s and Flannery is probably best option for that and more suited to playing 12 or more likely 15.
    unfortunately i think youre correct. id much prefer healy and crowley as 10s with JC at 15 (because its his best position by a mile)

A career like JJ's isn't to be scoffed at!

not at all, and i didnt want to disparage him. but i still feel he could have been close to O Gara level if he was managed better earlier on.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭Tomtom364

Player of the year to come...

I'd be giving it to Coombes

• Subscribers Posts: 41,752 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Tomtom364 wrote: »
    Player of the year to come...

I'd be giving it to Coombes

hard to see anyone else really... unless they gave it to CJ for service etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 486 ✭✭Shaka Hislop

Maybe Billy Holland if it's the sentimental vote...
    Otherwise I'd be happy to see Mike Haley get it..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,138 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

not at all, and i didnt want to disparage him. but i still feel he could have been close to O Gara level if he was managed better earlier on.

If he'd been managed better, you'd have people pointing to his failure to develop and saying that we don't trust young players enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,810 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,339 ✭✭✭✭phog

No surprise and well deserved

If he'd been managed better, you'd have people pointing to his failure to develop and saying that we don't trust young players enough.

my point was that he wasnt trusted enough in his first stint though? i barely remember him starting over keatley and if he did start it was usually at 12 or 15

and obviously hindsight is 20/20 and all that, but im just saying i hope they give healy a decent go of it over the next season or two and not have JC as an unquestioned automatic starter

my point was that he wasnt trusted enough in his first stint though? i barely remember him starting over keatley and if he did start it was usually at 12 or 15

and obviously hindsight is 20/20 and all that, but im just saying i hope they give healy a decent go of it over the next season or two and not have JC as an unquestioned automatic starter

Iirc, injuries to other players played a part in him having to play at 12/15 too but Foley did say that Keatley was his primary outhalf but there's not much wrong with that, we know Joey & Murray are the halfbacks this season but the lads behind them are willing to hang around and take their chances.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,812 ✭✭✭Jump_In_Jack

Weekending Competition Stage
    26/09/21 URC Rnd1
    03/10/21 URC Rnd2
    10/10/21 URC Rnd3
    17/10/21 URC Rnd4
    24/10/21 URC Rnd5
    31/10/21 URC Rnd6
    07/11/21
    14/11/21
    21/11/21
    28/11/21
    05/12/21 URC Rnd7
    12/12/21 ERC Rnd1
    19/12/21 ERC Rnd2
    26/12/21 URC Rnd8
    02/01/22 URC Rnd9
    09/01/22 URC Rnd10
    16/01/22 ERC Rnd3
    23/01/22 ERC Rnd4
    30/01/22 URC Rnd11
    05/02/22 6Ns v Wales
    12/02/22 6Ns v France
    20/02/22 URC Rnd12
    27/02/22 6Ns v Italy
    06/03/22 URC Rnd13
    12/03/22 6Ns v England
    19/03/22 6Ns v Scotland
    27/03/22 URC Rnd14
    03/04/22 URC Rnd15
    10/04/22 ERC Knockout 1
    17/04/22 ERC Knockout 2
    24/04/22 URC Rnd16
    01/05/22 URC Rnd17
    08/05/22 ERC QF
    15/05/22 ERC SF
    22/05/22 URC Rnd18
    28/05/22 ERC Final
    05/06/22 URC QF
    12/06/22 URC SF
    19/06/22
    26/06/22 URC Final

I looked it up, thought we were due to play Moana Pasifika, NZ, and Japan, but it seems like Scotland have nabbed Japan for the weekend we were due to play Japan, so I think Argentina are available instead, but IRFU haven't confirmed those 3 fixtures yet.

If it works out that way it would be 6th/13th/20th, and nothing on the 27th.

Apart from that, the only gap week appears to be the weekend before the final, I'm assuming that is there as a buffer in case a semi-final got postponed a week.

Am I right in saying every other weekend has a fixture, either URC or Ireland or H Cup? And no overlapping weekends which is amazing.
    That's some packed season.

I'd imagine, the internationals will be rested around the 6 nations, so maybe out of 18 rounds, there may be around 4 without them?
    I'd imagine the gap week at the end of November will be enough to rest and they'd not skip the round 7 URC, also they'll want it to warm up with their team leading into the H Cup.

• Advertisement

I looked it up, thought we were due to play Moana Pasifika, NZ, and JApan, but it seems like Scotland have nabbed Japan for the weekend we were due to play Japan, so I think Argentina are available instead, but IRFU haven't confirmed those 3 fixtures yet.

If it works out that way it would be 6th/13th/20th, and nothing on the 27th.

Apart from that, the only gap week appears to be the weekend before the final, I'm assuming that is there as a buffer in case the semi-final get postponed a week.

I had looked up the iRFU site for the Autumn Internationals too and couldn't see anything but saw that Soctland had fixtures for the autumn window.
    Am I right in saying every other weekend has a fixture, either URC or Ireland or HCup?
    That's some packed season

Yes, very packed calendar. I think make an assumption on one weekend as it didn't make sense in the promo that I saw but my guess was probably correct.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

My concern about the packed calendar is the Christmas interpros are going to be a league points trading farce again.

Iirc, injuries to other players played a part in him having to play at 12/15 too but Foley did say that Keatley was his primary outhalf but there's not much wrong with that, we know Joey & Murray are the halfbacks this season but the lads behind them are willing to hang around and take their chances.

thats fair, i just remember not blaming JJ for leaving when he did as it seemed he was never going to get a fair crack at 10. i was similarly frustrated this season, healy seemed to be the best option at the start, then JJ and JC both seemed to leapfrog him without really earning it and he hasnt got much of a look in since.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,137 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

In JJs first season as a senior player ROG was still there and he was 20. In his second season Keatley had the best season of his career and he couldn't get past him when he was still only 21. In his third season he was nursing a groin injury for most of the first half of the season when he announced he was leaving. He was never going to be picked ahead of Keatley after that.

By the time he left though he had 64 appearances (27 starts) in 3 seasons and was still only 22.

To say he got no chances is complete an utter rubbish. He had plenty of game time and chose to leave because he wasn't mature enough to stay and fight for his place when Keatleys form was beginning to fall off a cliff.
    When he did go to Northampton he couldn't get past Stephen Myler.

There's been a lot of rewriting of history when it comes to JJ, but the simple fact is while he's a pretty skillful player, he isn't and was never going to be one of the best.

To be fair Ben healy has a huge boot but he's a way to go with general play. I don't know that throwing him into big games is neccicarily good for that. Jjs gone next year I'd expect his gametime to step up big time particularly if joey get back into the international team

To say he got no chances is complete an utter rubbish. He had plenty of game time and chose to leave because he wasn't mature enough to stay and fight for his place when Keatleys form was beginning to fall off a cliff.
    think thats a bit harsh, but youre entitled to your opinion
    There's been a lot of rewriting of history when it comes to JJ, but the simple fact is while he's a pretty skillful player, he isn't and was never going to be one of the best.
    he was nominated for world rugby junior POTY, he played some fantastic stuff at underage level, to say he was never going to be one of the best is incorrect, he had massive amounts of potential
    To be fair Ben healy has a huge boot but he's a way to go with general play. I don't know that throwing him into big games is neccicarily good for that. Jjs gone next year I'd expect his gametime to step up big time particularly if joey get back into the international team
    in fairness i think he was very good in general play before europe, hes been average or even below average since but id think part of that is down to constantly being in and out of the squad

You could be right we will find out next year Im sure. Personally I think crowley is the highest upside of the 3 he's the harry byrne to bens Ross Byrne I suppose but next season should be a good one for the young fellas. Certainly I think heavy gametime as a 22 year old shouldn't be seen as him being held back

• Registered Users Posts: 6,029 ✭✭✭Yeah_Right

I think it's pretty clear that Healy's form has dropped since he got his haircut. Bring back the mane/mullet!!

• Advertisement

Personally I think crowley is the highest upside of the 3

definitely think you could be right there, havent seen enough of him yet unfortunately but everything is pointing in the right direction
    Yeah_Right wrote: »
    I think it's pretty clear that Healy's form has dropped since he got his haircut. Bring back the mane/mullet!!
    nailed it

Advertisement