Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Munster Team Talk Thread - Beirne After Reading

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,178 ✭✭✭Brief_Lives

definitely think you could be right there, havent seen enough of him yet unfortunately but everything is pointing in the right direction

nailed it

The lack of Mullet didn´t help, but his form went after the quins game when he got that late hit from Joe Marler.... did he actually have to leave the game?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,137 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

he was nominated for world rugby junior POTY, he played some fantastic stuff at underage level, to say he was never going to be one of the best is incorrect, he had massive amounts of potential
    Potential yes. But potential doesn't automatically mean you'll make it at the highest level. Have a look at list of nominees over the years. Plenty on that list who were never capped and had careers similar or worse than JJs.
    in fairness i think he was very good in general play before europe, hes been average or even below average since but id think part of that is down to constantly being in and out of the squad
    His drop in form coincided with the battering he took against Quins. He was out for 2 or 3 weeks with a rib injury after that. His confidence hasn't looked the same since then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,257 ✭✭✭sprucemoose

Potential yes. But potential doesn't automatically mean you'll make it at the highest level.

absolutely, but to say he was never going to be one of the best would also be untrue in fairness

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,243 ✭✭✭Boscoirl

Yeah_Right wrote: »
    I think it's pretty clear that Healy's form has dropped since he got his haircut. Bring back the mane/mullet!!

Spot the Kiwi!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 486 ✭✭Shaka Hislop

Yeah_Right wrote: »
    I think it's pretty clear that Healy's form has dropped since he got his haircut. Bring back the mane/mullet!!

Hero!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,327 ✭✭✭theVersatile

To the surprise of very few, Gavin Coombes becomes Munster's youngest men's Player of the Year recipient.

https://twitter.com/Munsterrugby/status/1405545160734294025?s=19

Mullets make you better at rugby that's just science. Your sacrificing your chances of getting laid to the gods of rugby. This has been my Ted talk

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,483 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

Totally deserved for Coombs. I try not to get bogged down on the backrow arguments because I think Ireland has really good options across the back row and I think you could mix and match lots of the options and not strengthen or weaken it too much. think Coombs is demanding inclusion in Ireland considerations though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,339 ✭✭✭✭phog

thats fair, i just remember not blaming JJ for leaving when he did as it seemed he was never going to get a fair crack at 10. i was similarly frustrated this season, healy seemed to be the best option at the start, then JJ and JC both seemed to leapfrog him without really earning it and he hasnt got much of a look in since.

I remember thinking why go, if he couldn't stay and knock Keatley off his perch how was he going to knock Myler off his.

I think Galwey tried to intervene and encourage him to stay but unfortunately JJ left and the rest is history.

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭Mucky_Tackies

I Flannery is probably best option for that and more suited to playing 12 or more likely 15.

It's not 12 as he's a terrible tackler

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Mucky Tackies. That is a damn good username.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,366 ✭✭✭yerrahbah

Munster played 25 matches this season using 53 players in the Pro14 and Champions Cup and using 43 players in the Rainbow Cup

With G.Coombes and JO’D making 22 appearances

Since returning from injury N.Scannell has played in 15 out of 16 games

In terms of minutes played

Haley is top with 1475, DDA has 1423, JO’D has 1325, G.Coombes has 1311 and Kleyn has 1138
    Kilcoyne played more minutes for Munster in the Rainbow Cup than the Pro14 and Champions Cup combined

We have scored 81 tries with 33 different try scorers, 14 forwards, 18 backs and Mr PT

With Coombes getting 15, N.Scannell getting 6 and KO’B and getting 5 possibly showing our liking for a maul try

On the discipline side we picked up 16 yellow cards and 1 red card

With PO’M picking up 3 yellow cards, Archer, Holland and S.Daly picking up 2 each
    Shane Daly had more yellow cards than tries this season

Senior players that didn’t feature:
    Snyman

Player Mins played
    Haley 1475
    De Allende 1423
    JOD 1325
    G.Coombes 1311
    Kleyn 1138
    R.Scannell 1049
    Conway 954
    F.Wycherley 945
    S.Daly 926
    JJH 916
    Casey 912
    Archer 905
    J.Cronin 900
    Holland 897
    Stander 888
    Farrell 880
    N.Scannell 787
    Beirne 785
    Ryan 768
    POM 762
    Healy 696
    KO'B 626
    Cloete 598
    Murray 589
    Nash 572
    Earls 552
    Gallagher 511
    O'Sullivan 476
    Goggin 475
    Sweetnam 463
    Carbery 458
    McCarthy 455
    Marshall 450
    Kilcoyne 332
    J.Wycherley 326
    L.Coombes 320
    TOD 274
    Loughman 260
    Ahern 242
    Knox 203
    Hodnett 194
    O'Connor 186
    Barron 133
    McHenry 130
    Salanoa 124
    Hurley 80
    Flannery 76
    French 60
    Kendellen 52
    Patterson 52
    Crowley 49
    J.Daly 37
    N.Cronin 7

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

In terms of an NIQ player, that’s a very good return on investment with DDA.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,134 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

stephen_n wrote: »
    In terms of an NIQ player, that’s a very good return on investment with DDA.

Assisted by SA not playing any internationals this season.

My player of the season: Coombes
    My young player of the season: Casey
    My highlight of the season: Clermont (A)
    My low point of the season: Pro 14 final performance

Positives:

Winning 14 out of 16 in the regular Pro 14 season
    Last minute wins vs Scarlets and Benetton
    Win away vs Clermont
    Emergence of Coombes, Healy and Casey
    First international caps for S.Daly and Casey
    More expansive style of play
    Carbery back from injury
    DDA has been a really solid addition
    Form of Mike Haley
    Beirne going from a sub for Ireland to a Lions tourist
    9 players from Academy promoted to senior deals
    Re-signing of Zebo
    Finally beat a Leinster team
    1st seed in champions Cup next season

Negatives:

Possibly could/should have lost vs Scarlets (A), Edinburgh (H), Benetton (A), Connacht (A), Cardiff in the R.C (H), Clermont (A). Season would look different then
    Not firing a shot vs Leinster twice
    Home loss vs Connacht costing a place in the Rainbow Cup final
    Lack of game time for Knox and Salanoa. Knox started 2 games, Salanoa started none (Salanoa was due to start vs Benetton away but was injured in the warm up)
    Lineout and claiming restarts have been hit and miss
    Discipline has been poor at times
    Losing Cronin and JJH
    Stander retiring
    Snymans injury

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

I'd add the performance against Toulouse as a positive of sorts. Maybe on a different day, in front of a packed Thomond Park, the result might have been different.

For the negatives, Billy Holland and Sweetnam also leaving means there's a lot of experience heading out the door. Excited to see the promoted lads getting more exposure next season tho.

Stuffing Glasgow in Glasgow and getting under Ryan Wilson's skin (not a difficult thing to do to be fair) was a highlight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

Holland, Stander, Hanrahan, TOD, Cronin, Marshall.... fairly sizeable exodus to manage. So much leadership more than anything.

You'd have to imagine Kendellen will see a good bit of game time next year. Hopefully RG can be extended, as a pack featuring RG, Coombes, Beirne, Kendellen and JOD could be up there with the best in a year or two.

Neil3030 wrote: »
    Holland, Stander, Hanrahan, TOD, Cronin, Marshall.... fairly sizeable exodus to manage. So much leadership more than anything.

You'd have to imagine Kendellen will see a good bit of game time next year. Hopefully RG can be extended, as a pack featuring RG, Coombes, Beirne, Kendellen and JOD could be up there with the best in a year or two.
    Jack O'Sullivan, Jack Daly and John Hodnett are also in the mix. Kendellen will have a fight on his hands with all the recent academy graduates and the fact that POM will be available for more games with the new league format. Plus Jenkins will be around.

Kendellen will be out of the academy by the time POM is winding down.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,594 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

Hodnett will be in the 1st 23 imo. POM will be under pressure to fight off these young lads. Munster churning out top quality prospects for the back row!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 486 ✭✭Shaka Hislop

Dubinusa wrote: »
    Hodnett will be in the 1st 23 imo. POM will be under pressure to fight off these young lads. Munster churning out top quality prospects for the back row!

Hodnett has a long recovery time ahead of him and from personal experience, you can end up having a second operation ..or not get back to full explosive speed or power after operations.
    I think he'll be managed very gently indeed next season

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,339 ✭✭✭✭phog

People have been talking about POM being under pressure to keep his place in teams since I first saw him play. I suppose they'll eventually be right as the clock waits for no man.

• Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭Lsdrugbyfan

someone like Kendellan could really solve munsters hooker problems.

phog wrote: »
    People have been talking about POM being under pressure to keep his place in teams since I first saw him play. I suppose they'll eventually be right as the clock waits for no man.
    Yeah, he only turns 32 at the start of next season. He'll be around for a while yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 762 ✭✭✭starkid

POM has a massive fight on his hand. He was under pressure for his Irish place, and he will be again. Maybe Munster is a different story. But he needs to perform better with these lads coming through. Alot of people were correct in their assesment, i suppose POM is lucky that he gets alot of good will behind him as well as good contracts. His leadership qualities are clearly second to none.

Sweetnam on the move to Oyonnax in PRO D2

He needs a season of playing regularly

https://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/rugby/arid-40321940.html?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,483 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

phog wrote: »

Yeah that's true but sometimes players react well to the pressure of a rival. For example I think Murray saw the writing on the wall from the way Casey improved over the last couple of years, and Murray improved to keep his place. If Murray hadn't improved over the last year then there wouldn't have been much between himself and Casey so it would make sense to invest more in the young lad. But Muray responded and has gotten back to good form.

I think it's similar for POM. There are periods where his form goes right off and people quite rightly talk about how he could be replaced. But he responds well and his form improves. It does t mean we shouldn't drop off-form players, we should.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,257 ✭✭✭sprucemoose

someone like Kendellan could really solve munsters hooker problems.

isnt he a back row?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭Lsdrugbyfan

Munster aren't going to win anything with the following players being starters: Niall Scannell/Kevin O'Byrne, John Ryan/Stephen Archer, POM.

Advertisement