Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Munster Team Talk Thread - Beirne After Reading

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,504 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

Should be fine in Munster so, the last Pro14 match I was at had about a hundred people at it from what I could tell, if our limit is 5X that amount we will be fine

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,137 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

Stop talking out your rear end. Some games against Italian teams only had 5-6000 in attendance, but that was as low as it got.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,366 ✭✭✭yerrahbah

With Stander gone do we have a lack of no. 8s this season?

Coombes is the obvious choice for starting at no.8, but he can't play every game and could very likely be away with Ireland.

O'Sullivan could slot in there, O'Donoghue could cover there but not sure 8 is his best position.

Kendellen will get some gametime but I can't see him playing a whole lot either.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭Tomtom364

I think Kendellen should be made the back up no.8.

The guy is a quality talent, if he's able for the game time (obvious physical step up needed) then get him in there when Coombes isn't available.

Has Jenkins played 8?

• Advertisement

Is our starting back-row for the European games likely to be 6. Beirne, 7. POM, 8. Coombes? Would be a change for Beirne who's been primarily used as a 2nd row for us. I think there's a real opportunity for Hodnett at 7 if he can come back well from injury.

Hoping to see some transition in the front row as well this season.

I think Beirne plays second row this season, we have no idea about when Snyman will be able to actually play for us this season....at the start of the month he was at Munster rehabbing 2 injuries..a week afterwards he was joining up with the SA squad.

Personally I'd like Beirne with Snyman as the perfect foil for each other

Presumably that would see JOD come into the starting 15, likely at 7? Could be a big season for him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,134 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

I think Andy Farrell wants Beirne in the back row so he'll play mostly back row this season. Jenkins was signed when Beirne was primarily second row so I'd say he'll play mostly at lock when Beirne is available

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭Lost Ormond

What do you see as Jack O'D best position then? 6?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,483 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

Yeah I thought JOD would have fancied himself an 8 until Stander arrived and he was moved to 6. He's not unsuited to 8, but I wonder if he would be next in line for 8.

He's probably failed to develop into the player munster hoped for. Maybe a run at 8 would give him a new focus. But I dont think he's a player they'd plan to start in a European knock out game, with everyone available.

From what I've seen Jenkins plays in the 2nd row or at 6.

If Kendellen is able for it then absolutely put him in, But we've seen in the recent past with the likes of Ahern, Knox, and even Coombes that they tend to ease players in to it.

According to the Munster Rugby website

In his debut season Gavin Coombes started 2 games, the following season he started 1 game and then last season he started 17 games

Every player is different but if Kendellen can get 10 appearances next season then I think he'll be doing well

6 or 7, its been a while since he started at 8.

He has such a good skillset but he probably lacks the top end ball carrying ability that I'd like my 8 to have

Munster v Munster it is. Tickets refunded but still valid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,243 ✭✭✭Boscoirl

Effectively free tickets to a training session... Can't get much more fair than that I think. I'll put the price of the tickets and then some behind the bar that day so the stadium will gain one way or another :)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,137 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

The stadium bars are highly unlikely to be open.

Fixtures for the URC are out

Round 1: Sat, Sep 25 Munster v Natal Sharks, Thomond Park, 7.35pm;

Round 2: Sat, Oct 2 Munster v Stormers, Thomond Park, 7.35pm;

Round 3: Sun, Oct 10 Scarlets v Munster, 2pm;

Round 4: Sat, Oct 16 Munster v Connacht, Thomond Park, 7.35pm;

Round 5: Sat, Oct 23 Ospreys v Munster, 7.35pm;

Round 6: Sat, Nov 27 Blue Bulls v Munster, 5.45pm;

Round 7: Sat, Dec 4 Golden Lions v Munster, 3.30pm;

Round 8: Sun, Dec 26 Munster v Leinster, Thomond Park, 7.35pm;

Round 9: Sat, Jan 1 Connacht v Munster, 5.15pm

Round 10: Sat, Jan 8 Munster v Ulster, Thomond Park, 7.35pm;

Round 11: W/E Jan 29 Zebre v Munster

Round 12: W/E Feb 19 Munster v Edinburgh

Round 13: W/E Mar 5 Munster v Dragons

Round 14: W/E Mar 26 Munster v Benetton

Round 15: W/E Apr 2 Leinster v Munster

Round 16: W/E Apr 23 Ulster v Munster

Round 17: W/E April 30 Munster v Cardiff

Round 18: W/E May 21 Glasgow v Munster

Munster’s Fixtures Season 2021/22

Irish kick-off times

Round 1: Sat, Sep 25 Munster v Cell C Sharks, Thomond Park, 7.35pm;

Round 2: Sat, Oct 2 Munster v DHL Stormers, Thomond Park, 7.35pm;

Round 3: Sun, Oct 10 Scarlets v Munster, 2pm;

Round 4: Sat, Oct 16 Munster v Connacht, Thomond Park, 7.35pm;

Round 5: Sat, Oct 23 Ospreys v Munster, 7.35pm;

Round 6: Sat, Nov 27 Vodacom Bulls v Munster, 5.45pm;

Round 7: Sat, Dec 4 Emirates Lions v Munster, 3.30pm;

HEC Round 1: W/E Dec 12

HEC Round 2: W/E Dec 19

Round 8: Sun, Dec 26 Munster v Leinster, Thomond Park, 7.35pm;

Round 9: Sat, Jan 1 Connacht v Munster, 5.15pm

Round 10: Sat, Jan 8 Munster v Ulster, Thomond Park, 7.35pm;

HEC Round 3: W/E Jan 16

HEC Round 4: W/E Dec 23

Round 11: W/E Jan 29 Zebre v Munster

Round 12: W/E Feb 19 Munster v Edinburgh

Round 13: W/E Mar 5 Munster v Dragons

Round 14: W/E Mar 26 Munster v Benetton

Round 15: W/E Apr 2 Leinster v Munster

HEC L16 Round 1: W/E Apr 10

HEC L16 Round 2: W/E Apr 17

Round 16: W/E Apr 23 Ulster v Munster

Round 17: W/E April 30 Munster v Cardiff

HEC Quarter Finals: W/E May 8

HEC Semi Finals: W/E May 15

Round 18: W/E May 21 Glasgow v Munster

HEC Final: Sat, May 28 Stade Vélodrome, Marseille

• Advertisement

All games will be at Thomond...could be well into next year before there's a game in Musgrave park

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,257 ✭✭✭sprucemoose

i wouldnt be surprised if in a few years they do away with having any senior mens games there tbh, ridiculous

Yeah most likely not. Aviva havent been able to sell alcohol at any game held there since July and think it could be November before they might be able to.

I doubt it after the money put into the ground and i would be very surprised if they did for loads of other reasons as well. doesnt make sense to not have games in biggest city in the area and its only 4 games a year anyway

much as i agree...

back in the day it used to be 5 league games a year (plus around 3 pre-season), not to mention back further when the least high-profile european game would also be in cork. in those 5 league games there would be a couple of higher profile games, usually with the ulster and/or leinster games there too

2019/20 had two pre-season games and four of the league games against lower quality opposition. i wouldnt be surprised if its only three games at most going forward

its great that the facility has been upgraded and it does get alot of use at lower and club levels, but an interpro or even a european game wouldnt go astray to help get a bit of interest back in the city and further build on the growing interest in west cork. i know there were previously talks about having a christmas leinster game in PUC but that seems to have gone quiet (and id be skeptical, from what i remember the cork county board were the only board in the republic to vote against opening croke park back in the day, much as id love it to happen).

Its 20 years since a european cup game was in Cork. The crowds at some of the games in Thomond are not fantastic and better to have a full capacity crowd in Musgrave than less than half in Thomond. I think we will still see at least 4 games in Cork. An interpro or european game istn going to move from Thomond and there isnt really much of an issue with the game in Cork. Players are still coming through in good numbers both through the 2 schools and then the clubs as well as from west cork and county cork in general. A game in PUC sounds great but do costs of renting it etc make it worthwhile. I highly doubt it.

id disagree to an extent that there isnt an issue in cork. the emergence of some of the younger players from west cork recently have changed it a bit but before then there werent a massive amount of players coming through and barely anyone who hadnt come through pres or christians (johnny holland was the only one i can think of up until the recent batch).

with the lack of quality games here i definitely think there is a bit of frustration in places since the whole operation has moved to limerick, much as it made sense from a training perspective. donal lenihan said as much a few years ago in his column and while i dont fully agree, he has a point. i know ucc had war with the branch a few years ago (could be still going for all i know tbh) because they felt everything was being geared towards limerick and by extension UL

id agree that a full musgrave would be better than a half empty thomond, but im not too sure is that feeling shared by the people making decisions. when there was an outside chance of a home euro semi in 2019, the aviva was chosen instead of PUC which seemed ridiculous to me. now, i do understand the technically its the EPCR that actually pick the venues, but im fairly sure thats on the recommendation of the clubs

Well thats just false. The players were very much coming through from Cork even from beyond Pbc/cbc as they havent been coming from Limerick as has been pointed out all the time here and elsewhere

This is rehashing arguments from years ago. Munster had to consollidate in 1 venue. The stadium was Thomond and then UL made the best bid for training facility. It didnt make sense to do any more than that.

IRFU and by extension Munster make more money from a game in the Aviva than Pairc Ui Chaoimh as they own the stadium and also the players would be better off as its a pitch they know, stadium they know(playing wise etc). doesnt make sense to go to PuC for a big game when you'd never have played there before etc...

The people making decisions are seeing how important it still is to keep up the level of top level rugby in cork.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭solerina

Great to see a schedule.

It’s a pity the TP games are 7.35, I don’t live near TP so it’s a very late night when you get home from the games....7 is late enough for the. To start IMO.

• Advertisement

i dont think its false, like i said apart from holland i cant think of too many (any to be honest) players from cork who didnt come from pbc or cbc up until the recent lot of fineen, coombes etc. mike ross and brian carney are the others before that and they dont really count. obviously a number of players came from clubs to schools (james cronin for example) but thats a different story again. darren sweetnam is kinda in between since he wasnt pbc or cbc but obviously bandon grammar is still a private school so not really a million miles away from the other two. the lack of limerick players coming through is much more recent also

use of one venue for training was needed (as i said), but having all of the higher profile games in thomond isnt.

true that from a financial pov then using the aviva would make sense, however the other reasons id argue would be much less important. turf quality issues aside, the stadium and its facilities is/are of a quality on par with most top-level stadia and thats what matters. for a team that is heavily built (or should be at least) on the pride of representing your area and people, id even argue it would be an advantage to the team and the crowd to be playing in a proper 'home' stadium rather than going to the sometimes home of our biggest rivals. if PUC hadnt been upgraded recently and the precedent of using croke park for a 'home' semi been established, then i would see little problem with using the aviva, but seeing as there is now an alternative then i would see it as a kick in the teeth

Advertisement