Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Munster Team Talk Thread - Beirne After Reading

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,340 ✭✭✭✭phog

Was Rnd 6 moved from the last weekend of October to after the AIs and now being held on the last weekend of November

Our last few pool games are sandwiched in between knockout H/C games and we're away for 3 of 4 of those pool games. Need to get a good start.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭Lost Ormond

How many professional non international sides always use multiple grounds to play their games? It doesnt make sense to. Munster dont sell out Thomond enough and moving games to another stadium where theyd be paying rent for doesnt add up. Croke Park was used as the only real alternative available. IRFU/Munster would be mad to pay GAA to rent PuC when Aviva is cheaper, players know it more etc. It wouldnt be more of an advantage as you wouldnt play there bar these ocasional games. With the Aviva your irish stars know it very well, you play Leinster there once a year as well. its far more of a home stadium than PuC would be. PuC also holds 5/6k less people as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,340 ✭✭✭✭phog

From the Limerick Leader

Top sport psychologist to work with Munster Rugby after much acclaimed Limerick hurling role

"THERE is much speculation that leading Performance Psychologist Caroline Currid is to work with Munster Rugby for the season ahead.

The highly sought after performance psychologist has been part of the John Kiely's senior hurling backroom team as Limerick won three of the last four All-Ireland SHC titles.

One of the leading performance psychologists in Irish sporting and corporate circles, it remains unclear if Currid will continue to work with the Limerick hurlers in 2022."

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,137 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

It was announced a few months back when the season tickets were being released that it would be 9 home games with 7 in Limerick and 2 in Cork. The two in Cork will be in the new year when they're confident of being able to have a full house.

I'd expect it to change to 6 in Limerick and 3 in Cork in future years.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,030 ✭✭✭Yeah_Right

All the NZ Super Rugby sides use at least 2 grounds every season.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭OldRio

Young Munster v Shannon in the Senior Challenge Cup final is being streamed on YouTube if anyone wants a fix of live Rugby.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,810 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

Seems to be a lot of 7.35pm on Saturdays kick off. Not ideal time for home fans travelling to Limerick, nevermind away fans for the interpos.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,270 ✭✭✭slingerz

More of a commentary on the lack of public transport options outside of Dublin. Should be a train service to Cork at least after the Leinster game

I like them and prefer them to most games as they generate more of an atmosphere regardless of crowd or anything else. Also allows me and others get club games in the afternoon and still be able to get to Munster games as well

• Registered Users Posts: 11,810 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

No trains on Stephen's Day usually. Think trains might be put on after the bigger games alright but otherwise last train to Cork usually 9ish AFAIK. Guess games going to 2 hours or more doesn't help the public transport situation either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,504 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

The games are usually fixed to accommodate local spectators, Cork games used to be on Fridays at 7:35 for example, that time is great as it kicks off a good night out in Limerick where most of the fans reside to be fair

The games are fixed to suit TV, not the supporters. Munster can request certain days of the week and KO times, but they don't get to make the decision and will play when their told to. Munster have had issues with KO times for years and 7:30pm on a Saturday isn't actually that popular as it makes it difficult for supporters who aren't from Limerick.

One of the main issues with low recent attendances is the fact that pretty much only people from Limerick and the surrounding areas are attending these late evening games. We need people travelling, especially from Cork, to get anywhere near filling the ground. Most of the fans do not live in Limerick.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

The league/broadcasters seem to have a phobia of mid afternoon kick-offs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,257 ✭✭✭sprucemoose

i think youre underestimating the amount of fans there are in cork for a start, let alone the other counties which all have decent numbers. but sure the branch are the same so i dont blame you either

as mentioned previously, most of the NZ teams do. the dragons and ospreys used to from what i remember, pretty sure glasgow were doing it for a while too (not that the welsh and scottish sides are necessarily the examples to be following). all the sydney nrl sides use both their own grounds along with either the sfs,anz or scg.

as ive said before, i really dont think familiarity with the aviva would make much of a difference, we're talking about professional players that play in different grounds every second week usually. once the facilities are up to standard, which they now are in PUC, then it should make no difference. to be honest, id be worried about the team if playing in PUC rather than the aviva was the reason for a loss. the actual supporters rather that the stadium should be whats making the difference

i dunno, maybe im crazy to think its a much better idea to keep any such potential games in the actual province rather than bringing it to the home of our rivals. taking it that the main supporters bases are in cork and limerick (the other supporters are going to have to travel anyway unfortunately, doubt theyd ever play in semple), i would personally think it would make much more sense for only one of these bases to have to travel rather than both areas having to make a long journey. even more so when the city with the largest overall population gets very little in terms of senior mens games. if the gaelic grounds were ever and option id see no problem playing there either, but i believe that needs a bit of upgrade work (ive never been so im only going on the reports of others)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,380 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

I don’t see any circumstances where the irfu will hire a stadium off the GAA when they have their own available. No amount of justifications will change that.

The Gaelic Grounds is just a big shack. It's not suitable.

How many times does it have to be mentioned that the IRFU are never going to sanction paying to use a GAA stadium when they have the Aviva and its corporate and hospitality facilities lying idle? Playing a match iin the Aviva makes them a lot more money than playing it anywhere else, so playing elsewhere is not going to happen.

i did say if it were upgraded

its not the irfu's decision. the epcr decide on the venues, with the 'home' teams recommending options. if the branch has any interest in engaging with the 'other' city then they should push for PUC if munster are ever in the position to host a semi. but its become fairly clear they dont so they wont

further alienating a large section of supporters might

I dont think the number of fans in Cork is being underestimated and i dont see why that because some other sodes do it that we should. The cost of renting PuC wouldnt make it worthwhile and IRFU are hardly going to approve it when it means losing the game from their own stadium.

Munster players are far more used to, comfortable playing in Aviva than a GAA stadium. The Gaelic grounds isnt good enough of a stadium and wouldnt be used anyway. I dont see why it would make more sense to play in one of the GAA stadiums over the Aviva where the players especially our main players are used to playing all the time for Ireland.

• Advertisement

I don't think GG will be upgraded anytime soon. There's enough big grounds in Munster.

They don't want to interrupt the Premier League (English Soccer) kickoff times would be my guess

I think you're definitely overestimating the number of fans coming from outside of Limerick to Thomond Park. The supporters club used to run near-empty busses from Cork to Limerick for Thomond games but almost full ones in the opposite direction for Musgrave Park ones

The IRFU is a constituent member of the EPCR and has a seat on the board of directors. No Champions Cup semi in Ireland will be played anywhere other than in the Aviva.

to be honest i just mentioned the gaelic grounds so i wouldnt be accused of cork bias. i dont see it being a possibility anytime soon but id have no problem if it were (same for any of the other stadia in the province if they were suitable)

another poster said most of the supporters were in limerick. the highest concentration of supporters might be, but 'most' definitely wouldnt be as the team covers a fairly big area.

the cost/loss of revenue would be the only reason i would see for munster being against it. as ive repeatedly said, 'familiarity' with the stadium should make zero difference to professional players and i would be seriously worried about the players if it did. these players play in unfamiliar stadia a couple of times most seasons and it doesnt make any difference.

Don't think the Christmas game was ever being suggested for PuC, I remember Euro-Semis being proposed for there (instead of Landsdowne Road) which would make sense to be fair

It goes back to cost. Munster would have to pay to rent the stadium and would lose out on their own corporate and bar sales. Their sponsors and hospitality partners would also have to be compensated for losing one of the most lucrative games of the season. When it comes down to the financial realities, PUC is never going to be used for a reguar seaosn game or for a home Champions Cup knock out game. And it's extremely unlikely to be used for a European semi final for the similar reasons, as much as I'd like to see it happen.

i wonder how those contracts work though? surely it must be based on the number of games rather than the individual games themselves when they are shared (somewhat anyway) between the two stadia? in terms of sponsors etc, for a euro semi, id imagine thats all organised by epcr anyway, not sure about the hospitality though. id imagine the cost of renting the stadium, along with the cork county board not being fans of 'foreign games', would be the obstacles if it were ever to happen. and while it might not make financial sense, id hope the branch would make a decision based on what would be good for the game in the area rather than purely on money

I'm not over estimating anything. The majority of Munster supporters do not come from Limerick. They come from all 6 counties, plus there are thousands based elsewhere around the country. Just as many (if not more) will come from Cork as from Limerick, by the simple fact that it's got 2 1/2 times the population of Limerick. Again, the crap KO times are the reason that fans from other parts of the province aren't travelling in numbers to the league games.

And lets be honest, you're the one who thinks that a few as 100 people were at some games in TP. I think I'll chose not to take your estimates seriously.

• Advertisement

I couldn't see Season or 10-year ticket holders standing for any regular match, let alone the Christmas match, being moved to PuC... Now a Semi-Final where the rule is pushed that it has to be away from your own home stadium (has been exempted on a few occasions previously) I think could gain traction, especially if there was a potential for meeting Leinster "at home" they couldn't realistically drag us to Landsdowne

Advertisement