Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Munster Team Talk Thread - Beirne After Reading

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,815 ✭✭✭irelandrover

Yellow I assume. Hard to see what else nankivell can do

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,088 ✭✭✭50HX

Good call by the ref, overall he had a good game

Ahern was excellent & hopefully Nash is ok as he's in top form with a while now

Nice look building to the squad now v this time last year

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

The offloading by Edogbo and then Ahern to set up Casey's try..... ohhhhhhh yes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 841 ✭✭✭Homesick Alien

Decent performance tonight against poor opposition. Good see some young lads getting a decent run out, plus the two Ryan props going 70 mins. We're top of the league pending the result from Connacht V Ulster but I think it flatters us. We beat very poor Sharks and Dragons sides and just scraped a draw again Benetton. I'd be concerned about the stiffer tests to come which will hopefully coincide with some returning internationals.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,885 ✭✭✭budhabob

Fair, however you can only play what's in front of you...and the results will allow cohesion and confidence build.

I only caught the last 20 minutes, how did butler play overall?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,663 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

Oh lord! Quinn and Gleeson getting minutes! Future Irish internationals!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,247 ✭✭✭Boscoirl

The replay didn’t do it justice. Sublime rugby.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 841 ✭✭✭Homesick Alien

He was good but playing off front foot ball for all but around 15 minutes. He had one sublime pass for either the disallowed try or one of of the ones that counted. Can't quite recall, I was at the game and haven't watched it back yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,477 ✭✭✭✭phog

Butler was excellent tonight and I could watch Daly & Nash play for Munster forever, they're brilliant.

How good are Edogbo & Ahern, brilliant to the two of them start together.

I was impressed with SOB he was good in defence and attack, you'd have to wonder what the AR was watching for SOB's chalked off try.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,008 ✭✭✭leakyboots

I thought Nash was sensational, he's a sturdy fella with a burst of acceleration and a lovely step. Hope his injury is okay. 5 clean breaks, 12 defenders beaten, 163m made. They couldn't contain him at all this evening.

Coombes was our top tackler (13) and got his usual bulldoze try, Barron did some great work on the deck. Is he our starting 2 now?

Daly has really impressed me the last few games. He was in a funny place for a while where he was getting called into Irish squads/training camps, not getting much gametime and then not having his place when he came back at Munster because Haley was going great guns. He's really shown his stuff these last games, lovely 50/22 today, good in the air and defensively sound.

Great to see Butler get game-time, he looks to have filled out a good bit since I saw him last. Joey's injury looks like it'll be 'months' according to Roundtree after the game so Butler could be important for us. Crap for Joey though. All of a sudden now you've a glut of very young outhalves across the provinces jostling for position. Crowley looked very assured when he came on. Harry Byrne went well too this evening from the bit I saw.

I'd agree with Phog, Edogbo and Aherne look like a great partnership, look forward to seeing them a lot more this season. I know a lot of people big-up Aherne but Edogbo really excites me, he's got such raw power and looks like he's sorted out the handling. If Kleyn and Archer can do it, anyone can! Kletn and Snyman to come back. Having Coombes able to drop in for the last 30 gives us an option too sub-wise. Gleeson looks to the manner borne.

Something like 6 of the team were under 21, and a good chunk under 25.

Dragons were gash though, has to be said. We've sterner tests ahead (last week's game wasn't one for the history books, typical early season fare away from home) so the run from now to New Years will see where we're truly at... but for now the Champions look to be building nicely.

• Advertisement

Nankivel looks like a superb piece of business too. Very smart player, all round game.

DOC was joking on the sideline that Munster might go 7-1. There are a few pretty solid looking 6-2s emerging though, for e.g.:

Daly, O'Brien, Frisch, Nankivel, Nash, Crowley, Casey, Coombes, POM, Beirne, Kleyn, Snyman, Ryan, Barron, Loughman.

Kilcoyne, Scannell, Archer, Edogbo/Ahern, Kendellen, Gleeson, Murray, Scannell.

Mad that there's no place for Quinn, Hodnett, JOD and one of Edogbo/Ahern.

The hands from Ahern & Edogbo in the lead up to that try 🔥❤️

Crap news for Joey, I really hoped his time away from rugby last year might have helped him with his injuries.

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭Thomasirl123

Teams looking strong and lots of potential. My only concern is props at European level. A couple of big signings and we could be contenders next season.

I'm hoping Archer's end of season form where he was immense in the scrums down in SA and the return of John Ryan who was usually a better scrummager might help us against opposition scrum. Tighthead is a concern going forward as those two great servants will surely be gone by the end of this season

• Registered Users Posts: 3,177 ✭✭✭letowski

Tom Ahern has been very impressive, he looks like he could have a breakthrough season. It’s very evident he is a huge talent, showed some class ball skills yesterday evening and has bulked up a good bit too. I think the challenge will be for the coaching staff, is to get him regular gametime when the 3 international second rows we have come back. He turns 24 this season, has had a lot of injuries, he needs just to keep playing games now if possible.

Could he still do a job at fullback...? :)

• Advertisement

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,631 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

Joey was really good in the first game of the season, played poorly last week but now we know he was carrying an injury

The poor fellah has the absolutely worst luck

Tom has been a class act every time he's fit and available.

Every time he goes down for attention I have a mini heart attack as his durability is the only reason he hasn't already been capped for Ireland

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,415 ✭✭✭✭mahoney_j

We’re in some hole now at 10 ….fingers crossed crowley stays fit …..butler going to see good bit of game time now as well which is good …..but lack of depth at 10 could cost us dearly

As Munster fans, the rugby season hasn't properly started until we get our first full blown injury crisis.

I fully expect Conor Murray to be playing out half in the ERC before christmas

Sexton to Munster on a short term contract!

Imagine him winning a ERC cup with us 😂

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,076 ✭✭✭boccy23

RG gone again? How long this time?

• Administrators Posts: 54,184 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Surgery on a shoulder so you'd imagine that'll be a few months at least?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,273 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

In better news the Irish internationals are all back in training this week and Nash hasn't been ruled out of Fridays game, so the injury can't be too bad.

If there was ever a time when you could choose not to have having RG available it's the start of the season, especially, if we can keep Kleyn and Beirne injury free.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,511 ✭✭✭sioda

And more starting time for Edogbo and Tom Ahern. This is not a bad thing

• Advertisement

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,076 ✭✭✭boccy23

It just seems he is never available for his paymasters or at least not as often as could be. And is for SA.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,273 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

He didn't make a single appearance for SA between the 2019 RWC final and the 2023 Rugby Championship.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,914 ✭✭✭Rigor Mortis

horrible luck for Snyman and Joey. As others have said, its the right time of year to get them sorted out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭Mr Tickle

I only saw this now. What a strange move. Cool for Halfpenny, but I wouldn't have thought he's what the crusaders are looking for in an outside back.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

You're absolutely correct but the optics are poor. He still has more minutes for SA than Munster since he made the move. He was on their sideline in the 2022 summer when still injured in his Bok team tracksuit. And as soon as his test duty is up this time, he goes in for surgery again. It's hard to think his clear priority isn't SA.

The SA union are quite happy for their stars to go to Japan and Europe, get paid by someone else but be available and fully committed to the SA cause. I think Vermeulen at Ulster is as stark an example of it as any. He absolutely stole a living in Belfast relative to what he had done previously. And Coetzee left them absolutely high and dry, gaining an early release to return home before magically achieving fitness way ahead of schedule for the Bulls.

Regarding Snyman, the money would be put to far better use elsewhere. The rumoured departure of Kleyn is a far more concerning development.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,053 ✭✭✭KrustyUCC

We have no luck with him and injuries

Hopefully surgery will be a success and he has a quick recovery

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,555 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

As long as Ahern and Edogbo stay fit, Snyman is an unnecessary luxury in the URC. He'd be handy for the European knock-outs.

For anyone interested, the Kleyn departure rumours seem to be in Midi Olympique who claim that he is top of Lyon's shopping list to replace Taofifenua.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,824 ✭✭✭Jump_In_Jack

Can someone update the thread title to add the word "injured" 😜

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,663 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

Think you're right on Vermuellen. He was a different player for the boks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 953 ✭✭✭mun1

Klyne was always going to be in high demand , as one of the best TH locks in the world.

“But the optics are poor” which of course is only your opinion , which you are perfectly entitled to on this discussion forum.

Agreed, we didnt get great return on Snyman due to injuries (not that he decided to have surgery for the fun of it), but when he was needed, in the URC title run in last season , he was definitely committed to the Munster cause.

no comment on your mid piece rant against SA and some of the other players.

• Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭CptMonkey

How long ago was the final? Seems strange that we are only hearing now about the injury. We haven't gotten any return on the investment really.

Is there an international player in the world that would elect to have surgery during an international window, in particular in the lead up or during a RWC?

No, didn't think so.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,726 ✭✭✭clsmooth

Looks like great timing for Ahern and Edogbo to come through if both Kleyn and RG leave at the end of the season which looks like a possibility. In that sense, RG’s injury isn’t a bad one to get at this stage of the season to let the two young lads continue to get minutes and experience under their belts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,815 ✭✭✭irelandrover

Kleyn leaving will be a disaster. He's been such a mainstay and a top performer in the team.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

I think last season he started something like the final 18 games in a row. Unreal stuff.

Agreed, the more gametime those two young players get the better as they look to have a hell of a lot of potential. You've Beirne to come back also. Wycherley is a good URC player, Coombes is covering lock pretty regularly to close out games since maybe last Feb/March? I think we're well stocked there, if the two SA do end up leaving it's a blow but not the end of the world. Would love to keep one of them though! Kleyn would be my preference, does all the dirty work and is a good man to shove a scrum

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,099 ✭✭✭Pete_Cavan

Munster should be offering Kleyn a three year contract to get him to stay. They probably won't be able to offer him another contract after this so should be looking to lock him down longer than the standard two years.

He has been so robust thus far that there is little risk in it. He has earned every penny Munster have paid him so far, I'm sure he'll be well worth whatever it takes to keep him. Given the way SA cultivate locks, he might not have a big test career ahead of him either, despite how well he has been playing.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

Now that he is NIQ they will only be able to keep him or Snyman I would think and I'd agree they should keep Kleyn if possible but they may not be able to compete with French money for what will likely be his last shot at a big money contract sadly.

Advertisement