Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Munster Team Talk Thread - Beirne After Reading

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,998 ✭✭✭leakyboots

No harm in a performance like that to focus the minds for the coming week, seen it countless times over the years ahead of a European game. The intent to play the way we play in attack was there so I'm happy in that respect, if the passes stick more we'd have made hay. You get days like that sometimes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

This exactly. A tough watch tonight, but next week will be a different story altogether.

Cardiff did well, fair play to them

With the caveat that they actually improve their handling next week!!

They will. Takes a bit for lads coming back from Irish camp, etc.

I've also seen the miracle performances too many times to be worried!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,093 ✭✭✭Sheep breeder

win is a win, move on to next weak, lots of moaning tonight, at first i thought this was a Leinster v Munster tonight looking for red cards etc and scummy play. Man of the match had to be Hodnet.

The optimist in me says they have a clear plan to beat Saints, and that for analytical reasons they want to keep some powder dry in the games leading up to it.

I expect a LOT more kicking for a start.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,178 ✭✭✭Brief_Lives

i'm hoping that plan includes passing and catching balls that are passed.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,822 ✭✭✭Jump_In_Jack

Cardiff were good I thought, fair play to them, they put it up to Glasgow last week too.
    Munster did well to grit it out, a man down and Cardiff had a dangerous back line, a good outhalf, and were competing well at the breakdown.
    Munster coughed up possession too many times in the first half, so for next week there will have to be renewed focus on how we protect the ball and making sure we connect across the backline.
    I'm under no illusions, Northampton appear to be flying high right now, and Munster are struggling to find form, the bookies would surely give Northampton the favourites tag, maybe 70/30 in their favour right now I'd say.

Hopefully Snyman will be back for it, even off the bench.
    I think we could see a very similar team next week,
    Loughman, Scannell, Ryan,
    Beirne, Snyman,
    O'Mahony, Coombes, Hodnett.
    Casey, Crowley,
    Daly, Nankivell, Frisch, O'Brien,
    Haley.
    Bench: Clarke, Wycherley, Archer, Ahern, Kendellen/O'Sullivan, Murray, Carbery, Zebo.

Basically only changes might be Ryan starting instead of Archer, and Snyman in to start pushing Ahern to the bench, and Murray onto the bench.

• Advertisement

The plan would certainly be to ease up on attacking wide from deep where many of tonight's handling issues surfaced. I could imagine they'll try to be more direct, seek territory, or use tactical kicking. And maybe go heavy on contestables.

Blow off the final cobwebs tonight integrating the internationals, largely keep the broader tactics discreet, and get into proper cup mode for next week. We do it so often it's cliché to even call it cliché.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,640 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

100% agree with this, tbh. You could see the few times when it did stick, and we got the ball beyond the edge from deep, we were making maybe 40 yards on one phase.

Far, far too many unforced errors tho. Thought Coombes (he cleans up so much ball for us, and showed his hands a few times too) and Hodnett were both excellent. Ahern had a few moments too.

And Crowley too; he had no right to score from where he did. Didn't look especially pleased after it either, or in his post-match interview, says a lot about his mentality and attitude. Some big moments in d too, really dragged us over the line in this one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,377 ✭✭✭✭phog

Very curates egg performance from us, played some great rugby at times but the final pass just wasn't where it should be for the receiver or the the ball carrier got isolated. A few sloppy kicks from hand too.

The YC was 100% the correct call, ref might have considered two but how often do we see both lifters get a card.

Looking at the table Cardiff have only won 3 games but they have a PD of -3 so they're obviously capable of scoring or keeping the opposition from running on huge scores on them.

In saying that, that was a point dropped last night and Saints will punish us more if we cough up similar turnovers as we did last night.

Hodnett or Coombes were my motm.

I should have said, Nankivell must have had his worst game for us since joining. He seemed to be out of sync with the players around him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,859 ✭✭✭ionadnapokot

controversial take on team selection v Northampton:

Ahern should start at 6

We know POM has slowed down but I think his legs are all but gone.

This is not the game for War God. For all his greatness even he cannot fight the sands of time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,617 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

• Advertisement

Thought POM was good last night, some great carries over the gainline out of him. Needs to stop chatting to the refs, which will probably be a tricky habit to stop as he's been captain of every team he's played for. But it's no longer his role now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,726 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

This will go down as one of those games we should have lost. Crowd very small as well, should have been in Cork I reckon

Casey was my MOTM but then that could be because of how poor they all were and he was the least poor performer. Also was at the match so could have missed a significant amount of the game

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,617 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

Kurt-Lee Arendse has been cited for leading with the elbow in the tackle by McGrath

www.rugbyhq.com/kurtleearendseciting/leinster/URC.info

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,178 ✭✭✭Brief_Lives

😂 wut?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 699 ✭✭✭Ben Bailey

Eh, do you have a working link, or is this for the day that's in it ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 937 ✭✭✭mun1

crowd wouldn’t have fit in Musgrave.

Have we actually sold out Musgrave this season, without giving away all the freebie schoolboys tickets ?

Great atmosphere around the ground and in town before and afterwards .

Match was poor enough, our front row isn’t up to much these days

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 803 ✭✭✭jcon1913

the ref should have sanctioned the Cardiff no 10 for that foul. He’s a Bok with the Welsh habit of late cheap shots- needs to be taught a lesson - pity it was so late in the game.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,208 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

Munster could have lost the way the game went, but were the better side on the night and deserved the win.

And the attendance was 15,423. So a long way from being very small and almost double the capacity of Musgrave Park.

Our defence easily dealt with Cardiff's attack. They got an intercept try, and then POM was harshly penalised to give them another chance, from that lineout Ryan was carded, they scored again from there.

That was their some total of scoring opportunities.

If we had cut out our own errors we would have beaten them out the gate.

As I said after the match, that's a point dropped for us

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,093 ✭✭✭Sheep breeder

agree with you a cheap shot that hurt big time and could have done a lot of damage, the ref was poor in this instance and let him away and he certainly knew what he was doing against the captain.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,245 ✭✭✭Boscoirl

I have 2 spare tickets for the game in Northampton if anyone is looking for some.

Unfortunately they are not together.

I thought it was illegal to run into a maul at speed and deliver a shoulder hit, so it should have been a yellow in my book, as in joining a maul should be a controlled engagement to push not a high impact collision.
    I tried to hear the explanation from the ref, I thought he apologised saying it was his fault for not blowing up a few seconds earlier and that allowed for the incident to happen, and in this case he said it was an unfortunate rugby incident.
    I see this as an extension of people cannon-balling into rucks, both are highly dangerous and are against the spirit of the game, aiming a hit on a stationary player who is part of a maul or a ruck should be an automatic yellow card.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,508 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

I didn't see the game but if he's run into a maul surely the only person he could hit is another Cardiff player?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭Mr Tickle

I think it was a maul from a choke tackle, so Munster had the carrier surrounded.

The ref delayed too long to call a maul ending after a choke tackle. It wasn't an honest attempt from the Cardiff player to disrupt the maul, it was a cheap shot at a player wrapped up in the maul.

• Advertisement

• I honestly wouldn't even bother replying to Red Silurian, he only every seems to be trying to drum up some sort of Cork vs. Limerick argument when he posts here

• Registered Users Posts: 6,037 ✭✭✭Yeah_Right

Was it illegal though? He joined the maul from an onside position, didn't tuck his arm. He actually had his arm out to bind. Maybe it was half a second after the whistle but it wasn't late. He absolutely knew he was going to hurt Beirne but was it illegal? What reason would the ref have to penalise him?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 699 ✭✭✭Ben Bailey

Fair point, but Law 9 :

A player must not charge into a ruck or maul. Charging includes any contact made without binding onto another player in the ruck or maul.

The includes is important, as it probably indicates 'includes but not limited to'.

or

Players must not do anything that is reckless or dangerous to others including leading with the elbow or forearm, or jumping into, or over, a tackler.

In this instance neither the Ref nor TMO thought it was worth reviewing (poor decision imo as players may feel that the officials are not protecting them and they must 'protect' themselves legally or otherwise) but it was still a cheap shot.

An update on Gleeson

Academy back-row forward Brian Gleeson underwent ankle surgery last month and is continuing to rehab.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,640 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

Looks like both Snyman and Nash are a doubt for the weekend.

SOB's been going well to be fair, (and Zebo's return too) but we're going to miss Nash's incisiveness

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 557 ✭✭✭-Toppy-

Yeah I thought that too - I think this is the latest https://resources.world.rugby/worldrugby/document/2022/06/17/d96beea2-759d-4856-b8db-f4aa13d5cc75/2022-TMO-protocol-Approved-by-Council-May-2022-v2.pdf

Law 11: Knock-On or Throw Forward
    ▪ All Clear and Obvious knock-on or throw forward infringements within
    two phases leading to a possible try.
    ▪ All Clear and Obvious knock-ons where the on-field team have awarded
    the scrum to the incorrect team to feed the ball.

I am very confused by the implementation of this :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,828 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

Yeah very unlikely but interesting if it ever happened. Think there's something special with TP on European match days so not sure about giving that up.

European SFs have usually been held in The Aviva, at least by playing it in PuC we'd have it within the province.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 803 ✭✭✭jcon1913

all fair points. But what was the point of a move like that apart from being a cheap shot?

bit like the accidental knee up sliding tackle on a prone attacker as they score a try which is a specialty amongst certain teams

Ref unlikely to blow it up no matter what because the prone attacker has just scored

Or in Beirnes case effectively won possession

Unlikely to happen for the foreseeable future but I will buy my season ticket and hold out hope.

Yes and sometimes the QF had to be held there, if we had beaten Toulouse in 2022 in Landsdowne Road for example we would have had the bizarre situation of a "home" SF against Leinster in the Dublin stadium

It would be better to potentially have it in the Gaelic Grounds in Limerick for sure but I'll take Cork over Dublin any day

• It will never be in the Gaelic Ground in it's current guise. The Semi-Final's are ran by EPCR themselves, corporate hospitality is a key determining factor in choosing a venue. There is no hospitality offering in the Gaelic Grounds

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭CONSI

So we would turn down a bigger stadium, with better hospitality options, favourable ratets from IRFU, to take it to a bad GAA stadium, in a poor location, with no screens and infrastructure and have to give money to the GAA, just so we can keep it in Cork.

How does that make sense.

• We don't "turn down" anything. EPCR run the show for semi-finals. They rent the stadiums, sell the hospitality, look after logistics etc. Both teams just receive a flat fee.

Imagine putting forward a venue that is more accessible to the majority of the province? Doesn't make sense does it?

You seriously calling PUC a bad stadium? It's only just after being renovated.
    It can also have big screens if necessary, just it costs a bit of money to rent them. If it will be used for a European match they should get that sorted.
    It's better in Cork than in Dublin anyway if it'll be a home match.

• Advertisement

A few years ago I suggested on this forum that PuC could be used instead of LR for a European Semi or maybe a few one off friendlies and the idea was completely shut down. Watch this space

There's many reasons it makes sense. It's closer to most (all?) of the province than Landsdowne Road is, the pints in cork are cheaper than Dublin. We're not keeping it in Cork because it's usually in Limerick, we are keeping it in Munster and no longer sending the odd match to Leinster

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,253 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

It's not about keeping it in Cork - the Aviva is unavailable for the EPCR semi-finals, that's the problem. It's either Thomond (which is too small) or a GAA stadium, and PuC is the best of those options. If Leinster qualify, the SF will be in Croke Park.

And this is only an issue if;

a) Leicester beat Leinster and then win away to either Stormers or La Rochelle

AND

b) Munster beat Northampton and then win away to Bulls or Lyon.

Any other set of results and Munster cannot get a home SF. I can well see (b) happening but Leicester beating two of those three, on the road, on successive weekends?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,603 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

Because Cork is in Munster and the game being held there would support the local economy instead of sending millions of euros to Dublin

• I don't know if you are actually stupid or just put it on as an act but I don't know what part of the Gaelic Grounds not having any corporate hospitality you don't understand. Comparing Pairc Ui Chaoimh and the Gaelic Grounds is like comparing chalk and cheese. A modern, newly built stadium with room for a minimum of 1400 in hospitality versus a glorified barn.

Do you honestly think that EPCR would contact their main sponsors and offer them tickets to an EPCR semi-final where the highest level of food offering would be something out of the back of a chipper van?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,037 ✭✭✭Yeah_Right

100% it was a cheap shot. It was realistically going to achieve nothing other than hurting another player. So I suppose he could get penalised under the second law you quoted but don't think any ref would actually penalise it.

• Advertisement
Advertisement