Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Munster Team Talk Thread - Beirne After Reading

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,822 ✭✭✭Jump_In_Jack

TBP win, away against a good side that were desperate for a win! That was not pretty but the passing skills meant we got the 4 tries and fully deserved the win.

If Edinburgh had just taken the 3 points towards the end it could have been different but that’s the way it goes.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 27,325 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

They had cover, you can see them running across on the tight angle. Almost certainly still would have scored mind as they were all over the place, but you can't give a PT for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,822 ✭✭✭Jump_In_Jack

Haley will certainly be out of action for at least a couple of weeks, he was out of it walking off, hopefully he will be available before knockouts but realistically Zebo has to take over for the remainder of the run in.

What injury did Nankivell pick up? I missed him going off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,998 ✭✭✭leakyboots

I would completely agree and nearly go so far as to say he's been our best player this season and up there with one of the best players in the whole league. Have been more and more impressed with him as the season has progressed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,845 ✭✭✭shootermacg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,253 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

Fairly mad game but all in all the best team won. Too many errors and injury to Nankivell not great obviously.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭TomsOnTheRoof

Great to get the win. This coaching team have really pulled it out of the bag in terms of getting us into form at just the right time. Don't know who got motm but it was Crowley for me. Thought he was excellent in every facet of the game but it was his strength in contact that stood out. Really happy with the direction we're going.

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭bingobango12

Great game to watch as a neutral. Ref looked out of his depth throughout but didn’t seem to get help from any of his officials either.

Ref Was shocking for both teams. The TMO's handling of the try was the absolute nadir for me though. Awful, awful officiating.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,151 ✭✭✭letowski

It’s a good sign that we’re grinding out these type of results. It wasn’t long ago this season we were blow 2 score leads in the second half. Helps that a few of the injuries have cleared up but were seemingly timing our run well heading to the playoffs (again).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭KaneToad

I disagree. He knew he was tackling him without the ball. He only started rubbing him into the ground after Healy started trying to lay into him

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 429 ✭✭Madeoface

He had a fairly tight saddle tied around them alright. Shocking. But no way that try was grounded against Munster either.

Edinburgh have no strike plays. A player like VDM on the team and they opt for 3 points all the time? Cowards or simply knew their limits? Deserved to lose.

That ref should not officiate at the business end of the league. The tmo must have been in the bar for most of the game too. But highly entertaining...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭Eoinbmw

The only person the ref rode was himself!

He won't be reffing at international level anytime soon!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 937 ✭✭✭mun1

another win for the bad guys.😎

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,475 ✭✭✭decies

what a game of rugby . Well done Munster .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,377 ✭✭✭✭phog

Foot/ankle injury, got it taped up but damaged it again after that. Could be a huge loss for us now

I'm away for any home QF 😭

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,208 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

Huge win. Their first try shouldn't have stood after the head shot on JOD and their second should never have been awarded. Whatever about the ref, the TMO was bloody awful.

I think the tackle on Coombes into touch early on should have at least been looked at too.

Still it was a deserved 5 point win. Edinburgh were only interested in taking their points, while Munster either went to the corner or tapped and went and played all the rugby.

Gwan Lions and Ulster to tomorrow and Gwan Munster!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,872 ✭✭✭budhabob

Have to say Rory Scannell was excellent tonight. Ran good lines and some great passes.

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭tmc1963

The tackle on Coombes was a brilliant piece of defence - I’ve seen a still and his left arm is clearly wrapped

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,334 ✭✭✭theVersatile

I think the wrap happens (if lifting your hand is a wrap) after the hit, to me, it's him balancing himself rather than wrapping in the tackle. I also think the player that went low to tackle Coombed was also a no arms tackle but would need to see it again

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭tmc1963

I am pretty sure that genuinely trying to wrap makes it legal- for me it was a brilliant tackle.

Snyman on Healy - got lucky I think - especially since it seemed that Mata pulled out of retaliation and dived over Snyman, barely touching him.

As Rowntree said you take the breaks!

Where are you seeing that he genuinely tried to wrap? To me, he led with his shoulder, hands by his side, after impact, his hand rises up (almost involuntary). Is that what you see as a wrap?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,522 ✭✭✭Pepp1989

Nucifora in the Irish Times this am claiming that emerging Ireland tour led to Munster selecting players they weren't selecting and was "a big part" of us winning the urc.

He magnamiously accepts that it wasn't the sole reason.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 803 ✭✭✭jcon1913

no arm tackle - shoulder to the chest area. Only thing that saved the Edinburgh guy was he hit Coombes on the ball-carrying arm.

Ref proved to be a homie later when allowing their scrum half knock the ball out of Caseys hands while he the Edinburgh guy was in a ruck.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,706 ✭✭✭clsmooth

I didn’t think there was much of a wrap either at the time but would need to see it again. Surprised it wasn’t looked at.

Read to me like nucifora trying to justify his failing his own set targets fairly badly

Last night's BP win sets is up for a home QF, something that looked out of reach at the beginning of the year.

Up until last night Edinburgh & ourselves had the same number of wins but we were ahead on BPs & a draw to one of their losses, in a table as tight as this season's League those BP points are huge.

Be great if Ulster & Lions do us a favour this weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭ulsteru20s

Prendergast is a very accomplished coach just on his own. Is it really credible that he wouldn't have noticed how good Crowley and Nash are? They played Edogbo a lot immediately and he didn't go on tour. They seemed to be capable of spotting talent.

Feels like quite small narrative spinning behavior to me. Especially with a new coaching staff. If they had been selecting teams for years, I would buy it. But they were literally months in the job. They also were months into a job, and then lost all those players right at the start of the season so essentially had no opportunity to select them. They weren't going to select a ton of guys for a few games who were then going to be gone again, when they were installing an entirely new system.

Possibly this is what they told him behind the scenes… but he is their boss essentially, we are unlikely to get a real response to this from them.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,640 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

Wasn’t there 1 league game with the new coaching ticket before the EI tour? It’s quite the stretch from him tbh…

• Registered Users Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭ulsteru20s

From memory it was 4? Or maybe 2.

But if i was a brand new coach, i'd do what they did. Put those guys mostly out of mind and then re integrate them after they return…

While not wishing to open up a Nucifora discussion on the Munster thread it's a push from him to try claim the EI tour was what led Munster to selecting players that eventually won us the league.

Here are his own metrics to judge him on and the less said about him and the Women's Rugby the better.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭Eoinbmw

He was very abrasive all game very impressive showing!

Definitely, himself and Haley had a few knock ons from high balls but I'd put that down to the low sun. He had a great game, took his try well but Frisch's running line kept the defense honest.

Im glad nuciforas gone anyway

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,998 ✭✭✭leakyboots

Crowley is tough out, same goes with his mentality too. Think we have a real gem on our hands to be honest, for such a young outhalf it's really impressive what he's done so far in red and green

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,828 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

Lions beating Glasgow keeps us in 1st for now.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 3,151 ✭✭✭letowski

Perfect weekend!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,617 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

Top of the league.

Can we revisit those stories of disquiet in the camp now?

Im biased but open to some persuasion here but the signing of Billy Burns by us makes zero sense to me.

He was piss tonight against decent opposition, not brilliant opposition not even leinsters best team and he was at sea.
    His mistakes single handedly kept leinster in the game, hes very predictable, he kicks almost everything (and not even well) and avoids carrying into contact all the time, he shirks playing first receiver a lot also.

He was blocked down for a try by a forward after getting a perfect pass from his SH and being deep enough with plenty of time. Later At a time Ulster were getting back into the game he kicked out on the full and gave that momentum straight back.

It wasnt until he went off that ulster got back into it.

Please someone tell me what the Munster mgt see in this player because im truly baffled.

When you can't sign an NIQ then he's the best of the rest, I'd also hope Mossy & Mike will improve him

I would wager that Rory scannell is a better option at 10, that young lad from Clare would benefit more from the game time and his signing is gonna fall into the category of doing just enough to justify his existence while stopping anybody else from improving.

So Crowley plays the big games, but this bluffer who cant kick from hand and wont kick placed ball is going to play as well and be our backup for big games.

Its an obvious mistake and i cant understand it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭ingo1984

I'll trust the judgement of player ability of the Munster coaches over an armchair critic who's probably never set foot on a rugby pitch. What about all the Leinster players like Conan etc who under performed tonight? They bad players aswell?

I think you're being harsh on him, Cooney kicks for Ulster but we don't use our scrum half to kick at goal so he'll get more opportunity.

If Wig & Co have shown anything it's they'll play whoever is good enough, Butler will get his chances.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,098 ✭✭✭Jofspring

Burns is fine to get in as a back up, possibly going to be 3rd choice not second if Butler gets more gametime. You can't be going into next season with just Crowley, Butler and another academy player as your only options.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,845 ✭✭✭shootermacg

Tony Butler will push on again next season, he's a very good prospect and I'd have him over BB any day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 937 ✭✭✭mun1

Great to be top of the league and hopefully same this time next week.

But When was the last time the team who finished top of the league won the URC/celtic league ?

just saying.

• Advertisement
Advertisement