Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Munster Team Talk Thread - New season title pending....

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

According to wiki one helps fight infection and the other is used to suppress the immune system. Again I'm not a medical professional so am very open to anyone who can show me that they can be used to treat the same thing. As stated before Cronins illness was never disclosed officially.

Prednisone is a glucocorticoid medication mostly used to suppress the immune system and decrease inflammation in conditions such as asthma, COPD, and rheumatologic diseases.

Amoxicillin is an antibiotic used to treat a number of bacterial infections. These include middle ear infection, strep throat, pneumonia, skin infections, and urinary tract infections among others.

Prednisolone has traditionally been used pretty frequently in conjunction with antibiotics in chest infections.

Pretty routine stuff if a patient has tightness in their chest and the doctor thinks reducing inflammation will help. Asthmatics would frequently get it.

As you say, all we know is that Cronin was "unwell".

• Registered Users Posts: 8,607 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

According to wiki one helps fight infection and the other is used to suppress the immune system. Again I'm not a medical professional so am very open to anyone who can show me that they can be used to treat the same thing. As stated before Cronins illness was never disclosed officially.

Prednisone is a glucocorticoid medication mostly used to suppress the immune system and decrease inflammation in conditions such as asthma, COPD, and rheumatologic diseases.

Amoxicillin is an antibiotic used to treat a number of bacterial infections. These include middle ear infection, strep throat, pneumonia, skin infections, and urinary tract infections among others.

I have been prescribed both Together on a few occasions. It’s commonly used.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

The fact they could be prescribed together, which is certainly true, isn’t really relevant here. I can’t see how Sport Ireland would care about that (perhaps the PSI will take that into account when passing judgement on the pharmacy).

Mod: Speculation removed, stick to facts and don't post possible libel

The fact they could be prescribed together, which is certainly true, isn’t really relevant here. I can’t see how Sport Ireland would care about that (perhaps the PSI will take that into account when passing judgement on the pharmacy).

Mod: Speculation removed, stick to facts and don't post possible libel

What I see is that there is a story (believe it if you want) about how the error happened, And evidence that has satisfied the testing authorities.

What I also see as relevant here is that what he took is something that pharmacies regularly administer to people, that doctors often prescribe together. If he had been caught for something that’s not widely used then I would be more skeptical.

The Evidence that has been Provided to prove the pharmacies error has been thorough and accepted, to say he is completely wrong is not the view of the authorities.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

The Evidence that has been Provided to prove the pharmacies error has been thorough and accepted, to say he is completely wrong is not the view of the authorities.

He was banned by the authorities!

• Advertisement

He was banned by the authorities!

Indeed, and I say it again, to say that he is completely wrong here is not correct, as the authorities pointed out. Did you read the judgement?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

There are just too many bizarre coincidences, oversights, human errors, claims of ignorance and inexplicable gaps.

An outside review would be welcome, if only to confirm that rugby did actually manage to do a proper job of investigating this and it's all above board, because a) what EPCR published does not make any sense, and b) in all practical senses, a doping violation has gone unpunished.

There are just too many bizarre coincidences, oversights, human error, claims of ignorance and inexplicable gaps.

An outside review would be welcome, if only to confirm that rugby did actually manage to do a proper job of investigating this and it's all above board, because a) what EPCR published does not make any sense, and b) in all practical senses, a doping violation has gone unpunished.

A) having read the publication it makes sense.
    B) it has been punished.

There are some question that linger, like what Walsh mentioned in his article yesterday, but it looks like a mistake, And the authorities have accepted that. Its a series of mistakes that will need to be learned from and additional controls put in place so as to not happen again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,570 ✭✭✭bennyl10

There are just too many bizarre coincidences, oversights, human errors, claims of ignorance and inexplicable gaps.

If it doesnt make sense then you haven't read the judgement.

His evidence adds up, the pharmacy themselves acknowledged it was their mistake.

It hasn't gone unpunished, he's been handed a ban that is appropriate for the offence

• Registered Users Posts: 5,933 ✭✭✭jacothelad

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 943 ✭✭✭Vinnie222

When can we expect our new signings and will they be available when or if the Pro 14 resumes?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

Vinnie222 wrote: »
    When can we expect our new signings and will they be available when or if the Pro 14 resumes?
    impossible to say as we dont know when rugby is likely to come back
    They were signed for the start of 20/21 season on 2 year contracts so would be expected to be here for pre season in june/July but with the way things are now who knows

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,117 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

Under normal circumstances they'd be due in for pre season training in July. But according to Jean De Villiers on the House of Rugby pod last week they're both still stranded in Japan.

And even if they were in SA, they might have issues getting here as currently CJ Stander is stranded there and can't get back to Ireland.

As for their eligibility, under normal circumstances they'd not be available, but if we do get matches in August or September and they're actually in the country, I'd expect them to be available.

Can they fly directly in to Dublin? That would make things easier.

• Registered Users Posts: 943 ✭✭✭Vinnie222

jacothelad wrote: »

I heard July but that was 2nd hand information

I heard July but that was 2nd hand information

Only Irish and French citizens will be able to enter the UK by air soon without being required to quarantine for 14 days. Anyone coming in to Ireland who has to stage through Heathrow might be in diffs.

It's possible to from SA into DUB via the Middle East, but currently most of those flights are grounded. It's the reason that Stander is currently stuck in SA.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭sasta le

Whos in and out this summer?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,134 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

Only Irish and French citizens will be able to enter the UK by air soon without being required to quarantine for 14 days. Anyone coming in to Ireland who has to stage through Heathrow might be in diffs.

Could come via Paris or via Dubai or other routes.

Maybe James Cronin could row a boat over and collect them

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,790 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

A) having read the publication it makes sense.
    B) it has been punished.

There are some question that linger, like what Walsh mentioned in his article yesterday, but it looks like a mistake, And the authorities have accepted that. Its a series of mistakes that will need to be learned from and additional controls put in place so as to not happen again.

Imagine if this was one of family members of the pharmacy owners and not Cronin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 490 ✭✭Scottmactom

Possible Munster Academy class?

Mark Donnelly(Prop/CBC Cork)
    Scott Buckley(Hooker/CBC Cork)
    Cian Hurley(Backrow/CBC Cork)
    Alex Kendellan(Backrow/PBC Cork)
    Jack Crowley(Outhalf/Bandon)
    Harry O'Riordan(Centre/CBC Cork)
    Aaron Leahy(Wing/CBC Cork)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,806 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

It's possible to from SA into DUB via the Middle East, but currently most of those flights are grounded. It's the reason that Stander is currently stuck in SA.

I think non-essential travel is advised against too but guess IRFU/Munster could get an exemption.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,374 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Eod100 wrote: »
    I think non-essential travel is advised against too but guess IRFU/Munster could get an exemption.

I don’t know the ins and outs but I’d say someone travelling to take up non essential work is unlikely to get any exemptions.

salmocab wrote: »
    I don’t know the ins and outs but I’d say someone travelling to take up non essential work is unlikely to get any exemptions.

I'd say in the vast majority of cases that would be the case. But there might be a bit of wiggle room for someone who plays for Ireland. I guess Irish citizens still have the right to come home too maybe? I'm not sure would INIS turn anyone back if they make it to Ireland.

salmocab wrote: »

Non essential travel is advised against within Ireland. Nobody in Ireland can stop somebody from traveling from another country. If they can get a flight and arrive in Dublin airport they will be asked to self isolate for 14 days and be allowed to travel to their destination.

And those are the current restrictions. They're not due until July when those restrictions will have changed again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,374 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

I'd say in the vast majority of cases that would be the case. But there might be a bit of wiggle room for someone who plays for Ireland. I guess Irish citizens still have the right to come home too maybe? I'm not sure would INIS turn anyone back if they make it to Ireland.

Sorry I thought you were talking about the new signings, different I’m sure for a resident once a means of travel is available which is presumably the real stumbling block.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,134 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

Cloete is over there too.

I did note McKinley/Keatley returned to Italy this weekend so player movement is starting.

Non essential travel is advised against within Ireland. Nobody in Ireland can stop somebody from traveling from another country. If they can get a flight and arrive in Dublin airport they will be asked to self isolate for 14 days and be allowed to travel to their destination.

And those are the current restrictions. They're not due until July when those restrictions will have changed again.

I was thinking it might only be out of the country but I think in the context of very small number of flights coming into the country, I don't think people are exactly encouraged to come either but think as you say there's no set restriction on it and it's not until July.

That said CMO said recently that current recommendation is that people avoid all non-essential travel both off the island and back into Ireland. But I hadn't seen any specific advice beyond that.

https://www.rte.ie/news/coronavirus/2020/0508/1137180-coronavirus-ireland/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭Tomtom364

What might be more significant for RGS and DDA is that I imagine they may planned to return to South Africa to see family before moving to Ireland but might not be able to do so at the time they planned.

So Munster might be understanding of allowing them to do that and delay their arrival in Ireland.

Advertisement