Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Munster Team Talk Thread - New season title pending....

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Kevin O'Byrne 2022
    Rhys Marshall 2021
    Niall Scannell 2021

Diarmuid Barron Year 2
    Eoghan Clarke Year 2

James Cronin 2021
    Dave Kilcoyne 2023
    Liam O'Connor 2022
    Jeremy Loughman 2022

James French Year 2
    Josh Wycherley Year 2

Stephen Archer 2022
    Keynan Knox 2022
    Ciaran Parker 2020
    John Ryan 2022
    Brian Scott 2020

Tadhg Beirne 2022
    Billy Holland 2021
    Jean Kleyn 2022
    Sean O'Connor 2020
    Darren O'Shea 2020
    RG Snyman 2022
    Fineen Wycherley 2021

Thomas Ahern Year 2
    Paddy Kelly Year 1
    Eoin O'Connor Year 1

Arno Botha 2020
    Gavin Coombes 2021
    Chris Cloete 2022
    Tommy O'Donnell 2021
    Jack O'Donoghue 2021
    Peter O'Mahony 2021
    Jack O'Sullivan 2023
    Conor Oliver 2020
    CJ Stander 2021

Jack Daly Year 2
    John Hodnett Year 1

Craig Casey 2021
    Neil Cronin 2021
    Nick McCarthy 2021
    Conor Murray 2022

Jack Stafford Year 3

Tyler Bleyendaal 2021
    Joey Carbery 2022
    JJ Hanrahan 2021

Jake Flannery Year 1
    Ben Healy Year 2

Sam Arnold 2020
    Damian de Allende 2022
    Chris Farrell 2022
    Dan Goggin 2022
    Alex McHenry 2021
    Rory Scannell 2021

Sean French Year 2

Andrew Conway 2023
    Liam Coombes 2021
    Shane Daly 2021
    Keith Earls 2021
    Matt Gallagher 2022
    Mike Haley 2021
    Calvin Nash 2021
    Darren Sweetnam 2021
    Alex Wootton 2021

Alan Tynan Year 3
    Jonathan Wren Year 2

Confirmed 2020/21 NIEs:
    RG Snyman (capped), Damian de Allende (capped)

IN: RG Snyman (LK, Honda Heat), Damian de Allende (CT, Panasonic Wild Knights), Matt Gallagher (FB, Saracens)
    OUT:

Out of Contract:
    Ciaran Parker
    Brian Scott
    Sean O'Connor
    Darren O'Shea
    Arno Botha
    Conor Oliver
    Jack Stafford
    Sam Arnold
    Alan Tynan

43 senior players signed up for 2020/21. Ulster have announced a senior squad of 41 so I don't see many of those out of contract players being retained.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,384 ✭✭✭Panda Killa

43 senior players signed up for 2020/21. Ulster have announced a senior squad of 41 so I don't see many of those out of contract players being retained.

Sam Arnold might be kept

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,117 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

Sam Arnold might be kept

DDA, Farrell, Scannell and Goggin already there. JJ can cover 12. Daly can cover 13. There won't be many international call ups in in there either. I don't see much opportunity for him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 490 ✭✭Scottmactom

Sam Arnold might be kept

why would he want to stay?

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 41,729 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

7 locks not counting academy is a bit much... And when you consider those locks that can play back row then the back row numbers are stacked too.
    Though botha is going.

I'd imagine one of O'connor or oshea would move on

sydthebeat wrote: »
    7 locks not counting academy is a bit much... And when you consider those locks that can play back row then the back row numbers are stacked too.
    Though botha is going.

I'd imagine one of O'connor or oshea would move on

both are afaik.

The only way I see Arnold remaining at this stage is, in the event he doesn't have a deal already signed elsewhere, we have eleventh hour departures opening up a spot for him to remain. Bleyendaal is a possible retirement.

I'd be surprised if any of the out of contract players remain. It would be out of character for Munster to announce extensions now, excluding the academy additions.

• Registered Users Posts: 780 ✭✭✭Kirk Van Houten

I think one of Parker or Scott will be kept on. We lack depth at tight head should we have an injury. Longer term we need one of the loose heads to move across.

I think one of Parker or Scott will be kept on. We lack depth at tight head should we have an injury. Longer term we need one of the loose heads to move across.

they were looking at Cork Con TH Dylan Murphy before injury struck. Still young and developing. Worth another look IMO.

James French being looked at TH too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,607 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

The only way I see Arnold remaining at this stage is, in the event he doesn't have a deal already signed elsewhere, we have eleventh hour departures opening up a spot for him to remain. Bleyendaal is a possible retirement.

I'd be surprised if any of the out of contract players remain. It would be out of character for Munster to announce extensions now, excluding the academy additions.

I will be shocked if blyendaal isn’t gone, unless he stays as some kind of pay for play deal on a low retainer I think it’s fair to say that Munster have given him every opportunity to get back playing and he is owed nothing. He would have been jettisoned long ago by any other team.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,806 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

I will be shocked if blyendaal isn’t gone, unless he stays as some kind of pay for play deal on a low retainer I think it’s fair to say that Munster have given him every opportunity to get back playing and he is owed nothing. He would have been jettisoned long ago by any other team.

Wasn't he backs coach with Garryowen. Maybe he could stay on in Munster with some form of coaching role maybe at club level.

He has another year on his contract. Unless he's told by a doctor to retire he's going nowhere. There's no way Munster are paying out his contract so he can leave in these current circumstances.

• Registered Users Posts: 780 ✭✭✭Kirk Van Houten

Eod100 wrote: »
    Wasn't he backs coach with Garryowen. Maybe he could stay on in Munster with some form of coaching role maybe at club level.

The additional coach position that was under review at the start of last season hasn't been filled yet as far as I know. Talk was of a skills coach. Tyler would look to be favourite if he steps back from playing.

SA - head coach and defence coach
    English - forwards coach
    Aussie - backs/attack coach
    Irish - team manager
    Kiwi - skills coach?

He has another year on his contract. Unless he's told by a doctor to retire he's going nowhere. There's no way Munster are paying out his contract so he can leave in these current circumstances.

Are you sure he has another year? I thought it was up this season?

Will be 30 later this month, with a history of neck injuries I dunno is it looking good for him.

Van Graan discussing his situation in December was focused on his health and life after rugby which seemed to imply there's a chance he may not come back to playing. Guess will have to wait and see.

https://www.the42.ie/tyler-bleyendaal-munster-neck-injury-2-4916148-Dec2019/

Are you sure he has another year? I thought it was up this season?

Yup. https://www.munsterrugby.ie/2019/02/20/contract-update-five-players-sign-extensions/

Madness, hopefully he can play a bit this year, because he was crocked this season after one European cup game.

Eod100 wrote: »

Good shout, that would make sense.

The 42 reporting that Conor Oliver and Sam Arnold are off to Connacht.
    https://www.the42.ie/arnold-oliver-munster-connacht-5097184-May2020/

Good shout, that would make sense.

The 42 reporting that Conor Oliver and Sam Arnold are off to Connacht.
    https://www.the42.ie/arnold-oliver-munster-connacht-5097184-May2020/

Speak of the devil. Good luck to the both of them!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,366 ✭✭✭yerrahbah

Really liked Arnold. I think it was in his first season he joined where a series of injuries meant he started in the back to back games against Leicester? and had fine games.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Arnold is a big coup for Connacht. He's still very young given how long he has been around. I'm surprised he's staying in Ireland though, to be honest. He must have real ambitions to play more in green although I'm not sure how likely that is.

Oliver has the skills and attitude to be a great player, he’s probably lacking the size and physicality to be an international But he is a great signing for Connacht as well.

Buer wrote: »
    Arnold is a big coup for Connacht. He's still very young given how long he has been around. I'm surprised he's staying in Ireland though, to be honest. He must have real ambitions to play more in green although I'm not sure how likely that is.

His one Irish cap means his value in England is diminished.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

Buer wrote: »

Given he's signed for Connacht, I'd say it's reasonably likely. ;)

Out of Contract:
    Ciaran Parker
    Brian Scott
    Sean O'Connor
    Darren O'Shea
    Arno Botha - Bulls
    Conor Oliver - Connacht
    Jack Stafford
    Sam Arnold - Connacht
    Alan Tynan

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 462 ✭✭the_blackstuff

Out of Contract:
    Ciaran Parker
    Brian Scott
    Sean O'Connor
    Darren O'Shea
    Arno Botha - Bulls
    Conor Oliver - Connacht
    Jack Stafford
    Sam Arnold - Connacht
    Alan Tynan

Has Botha confirmed he is leaving?

Reported in SA that the Bulls are signing him. No confirmation yet.

If Botha does go, 2 NIE players must be lowest number of NIEs we've had in a while

• Advertisement

He's out of contract in June. He's leaving.

Advertisement