Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Munster Team Talk Thread - New season title pending....

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,270 ✭✭✭slingerz

Yeah so if West Cork, Tipp and Waterford weren't producing quality players, there'd be more not as talented Limerick players in the academy. Great!

Doesnt answer why isn't Limerick producing more quality players? especially forwards.

Why would Limerick be entitled to be producing more players than Tipp/Waterford or West Cork?

The increase of supporters in the less traditional areas has seen players come through. That should be seen as a positive for Munster as opposed to a slight on Limerick

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,117 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

Sport Ireland decide not to appeal the Cronin case. They decided that they are satisfied with the EPCR case. https://m.independent.ie/sport/rugby/munster-rugby/sport-ireland-opt-against-appealing-one-month-james-cronin-ban-for-anti-doping-violation-39211835.html

Will those posters saying that there was a cover up now admit that they were wrong? I won't hold my breath.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,384 ✭✭✭Panda Killa

Sport Ireland decide not to appeal the Cronin case. They decided that they are satisfied with the EPCR case. https://m.independent.ie/sport/rugby/munster-rugby/sport-ireland-opt-against-appealing-one-month-james-cronin-ban-for-anti-doping-violation-39211835.html

Will those posters saying that there was a cover up now admit that they were wrong? I won't hold my breath.

From what I've heard it seems Cronin is fairly pissed off...there will definitely be a legal case against the pharmacy...

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 27,091 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

He still seems to have gotten off extremely lightly. I find it perplexing more than suspicious.
    From what I've heard it seems Cronin is fairly pissed off...there will definitely be a legal case against the pharmacy...

I suspect the pharmacy is in trouble with regulators anyway?

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

This is great news. That's good enough for me, considering the extra information they were supposedly seeking should have been enough to cover the other possible scenarios.

Don't think anyone actually said there was a coverup (unless I missed those posts!). I just saw people worried that there was the potential for one. No need to circle the wagons! Sport Ireland would be all over it if that had been going on, and it'd be pretty difficult to hide at this point. Would have been catastrophic for the reputation of the sport on the island if they took the other opinion.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,607 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

Podge_irl wrote: »
    He still seems to have gotten off extremely lightly. I find it perplexing more than suspicious.

I suspect the pharmacy is in trouble with regulators anyway?

What should have happened in your opinion?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,790 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

Just because sport Ireland are not appealing doesn't mean it's all ok. It's a doping violation with a fairly flimsy sequence of events involving a pharmacy run by family of team mates.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,384 ✭✭✭Panda Killa

Burkie1203 wrote: »
    Just because sport Ireland are not appealing doesn't mean it's all ok. It's a doping violation with a fairly flimsy sequence of events involving a pharmacy run by family of team mates.

Oi...Bucs !

Yeah, I think there was some reporting more recently that suggested that's already in motion and Munster have ended their relationship with that pharmacy. I guess there's no need to comment on that publicly if Cronin has his own proceedings in motion. I'm sure if the pharmacy end up getting sanctioned by PSI they really won't have a leg to stand on and it'll be settled pretty quietly.

His ban, along with many others are being served when there is no rugby on. Bans should at least be served properly

• Advertisement

His ban, along with many others are being served when there is no rugby on. Bans should at least be served properly

Bans in general make no sense to me currently. I have no idea why people like Cronin and Marler are basically getting away for free when they should be banned. I thought bans could only encompass weeks when there are matches taking place that they could legitimately have played in. I really don't understand why suddenly, when there's no rugby happening anywhere at all, these bans are ticking down. It basically means Cronin and everyone else who should be serving a ban, receive no ban at all.

At least it seems to be getting applied equally to everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭BloodyBill

slingerz wrote: »
    Why would Limerick be entitled to be producing more players than Tipp/Waterford or West Cork?

The increase of supporters in the less traditional areas has seen players come through. That should be seen as a positive for Munster as opposed to a slight on Limerick

Limerick has more rugby players than West Cork,Tipp and Waterford combined,by far. Theres a serious lull in the players coming through . Its nothing to do with hurling being popular . They dont tend to pull from the same pool of players and if they do the rugby always gets the jump because its pro. The likes of Conor Fitz at Connaught and Dan Goggin are the only two that could have been great hurlers. Goggin would have done some damage.
    Limerick has some coaching issues in the schools. There needs to be a shake up. The bite and meanness isnt there since the rivalry of Munsters,Garryowen and Shannon dropped off post AIL.
    It's great that the Hodnetts,Coombes, Wicherleys are coming through but at least 33% of all academy players should be from Limerick and South East Clare..that's going on the numbers playing the game not on any god given right.

He should have at the very minimum been banned for games that are actually taking place but frankly it should have been longer.

It is a strict liability offence and he has gotten off exceedingly lightly.

Bans in general make no sense to me currently. I have no idea why people like Cronin and Marler are basically getting away for free when they should be banned. I thought bans could only encompass weeks when there are matches taking place that they could legitimately have played in. I really don't understand why suddenly, when there's no rugby happening anywhere at all, these bans are ticking down. It basically means Cronin and everyone else who should be serving a ban, receive no ban at all.

At least it seems to be getting applied equally to everyone.

They change the rules depending on their mood.

I still remember Callum Clarke getting a 30 odd week ban for committing the worst offence I've ever seen on a rugby pitch and they then completely neutered it by letting it run over the summer break. Like, what the hell is the point of that.

• Registered Users Posts: 780 ✭✭✭Kirk Van Houten

Can you please elaborate on the connection between the pharmacy and the Munster rugby. Anything I've seen so far has had huge caveats around it like "understood" or "allegedly" which generally means it's facts that can't be backed up.

Can you please elaborate on the connection between the pharmacy and the Munster rugby. Anything I've seen so far has had huge caveats around it like "understood" or "allegedly" which generally means it's facts that can't be backed up.

No one in media has named the pharmacy or even hinted as to their identity. It'd be madness for any journalist to wade into those waters.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

BloodyBill wrote: »
    Limerick has more rugby players than West Cork,Tipp and Waterford combined,by far. Theres a serious lull in the players coming through . Its nothing to do with hurling being popular . They dont tend to pull from the same pool of players and if they do the rugby always gets the jump because its pro. The likes of Conor Fitz at Connaught and Dan Goggin are the only two that could have been great hurlers. Goggin would have done some damage.
    Limerick has some coaching issues in the schools. There needs to be a shake up. The bite and meanness isnt there since the rivalry of Munsters,Garryowen and Shannon dropped off post AIL.
    It's great that the Hodnetts,Coombes, Wicherleys are coming through but at least 33% of all academy players should be from Limerick and South East Clare..that's going on the numbers playing the game not on any god given right.
    does limerick have more at age grade and what are they doing to change and develop more than they did in the past as many clubs that are now producing players to high levels in increasing numbers have changed plenty over the years.
    What exactly is the shake up required in limerick and no a third shouldnt be coming from limerixk/ south east Clare.
    What in your opinion would bring back bite and meanness?

No one in media has named the pharmacy or even hinted as to their identity. It'd be madness for any journalist to wade into those waters.

Walsh went with the "understood" links to Munster rugby. You've said it's run by the family of a team mate of Cronins.

Facts are facts. If there are links they should be easy to prove.

Walsh went with the "understood" links to Munster rugby. You've said it's run by the family of a team mate of Cronins.

Facts are facts. If there are links they should be easy to prove.

I didn't say it was anyone. No one is going to name the pharmacy, weird thing to get hung up on!

I didn't say it was anyone. No one is going to name the pharmacy, weird thing to get hung up on!

Apologies it was Burkie who said that. To those claiming a conspiracy this seems to be central to the plot.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,607 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

This is pretty extenuating circumstances, and hard to forsee by the authorities. but I get what your saying.

This is pretty extenuating circumstances, and hard to forsee by the authorities. but I get what your saying.

It took 4 months to get sorted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

It's good to see that Sport Ireland were happy with the EPCR investigation, that EPCR did at least ask Cronin some questions even if he didn't attend the actual hearing.

That was my main concern, that we had this fairly outlandish sequence of events and it's good for someone without a vested interest to take an objective look.

The actual suspension remains a joke but other players will get away with far worse transgressions due to Covid.

The pharmacy in question has a lot to answer here, from the minute they illegally accepted a prescription via email, to giving the wrong drug to the wrong patient, to (apparently) giving a patient antibiotics and steroids without explaining to him what he was getting. That's three different violations/errors in one case, it's pretty bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,366 ✭✭✭yerrahbah

Apparently Wooton is moving to Connacht.

He started the semi final vs Racing in 2018 but has only played 120 mins this season

• Subscribers Posts: 41,729 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

The pharmacy in question has a lot to answer here, from the minute they illegally accepted a prescription via email.... .

Have all doctors not been emailing in prescriptions since the lockdown began??

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

sydthebeat wrote: »

This took place last November tho.

My take is that it's a positive thing that an independent actor in Sports Ireland has reviewed the case and has decided not to appeal. But it's ridiculous that players won't actually miss any game time for bans served at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,806 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

I think some have been posting them out. But guess this happened in November too when that wouldn't really be the usually done thing.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,729 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Eod100 wrote: »
    I think some have been posting them out. But guess this happened in November too when that wouldn't really be the usually done thing.

I know with my local doctor I can ring down to him and he'll have a prescription waiting to be picked up in the pharmacy before the end of the day, so he's not posting them out.

But anyway, I hadn't been following the specifics of this, so if it happened in November and its illegal then the pharmacy have serious issues

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

I know with my local doctor I can ring down to him and he'll have a prescription waiting to be picked up in the pharmacy before the end of the day, so he's not posting them out.

But anyway, I hadn't been following the specifics of this, so if it happened in November and its illegal then the pharmacy have serious issues

Yeah, Simon Harris had to actually change the regulations to make it legal, and even then it's only allowed if sent via the 'Healthmail' system.

Under the old regs, your doctor could fax the prescription if he committed to following it up with a written copy. All pretty archaic but that was the rule.

Most pharmacies would probably bend the rules if you dealt with the doctor a lot, but that wasn't the case here, and you'd be very, very careful about getting it right, also not the case here.

Advertisement