Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Munster Team Talk Thread - New season title pending....

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,608 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

The negative commentary has been nothing more than someone looking for any reason to sh;t on Munster rugby as childish as that is.

We're going to be dealing with this all winter and inevitably squads are going to end up being locked down - all we can do is enjoy whatever rugby we get and hope that there is as little disruption as possible. The virility of the virus combined with human nature will just have to be contended with, but throwing shade now is an open invitation to being humbled down the line.

If that is directed at me you should have to maturity to say so instead of an over the shoulder school playground “someone” attempt. This is a discussion forum for adults, people can have a difference of opinion.

Definitely a weird blame culture going around. Either the organisation or the person, loads of people want to crucify them for it forgetting its a virus that nobody really wants to catch. See what happened that Irish lad in Australia.

See what happened the hairdresser in carrigaline? Her business is closed, bookings and reputation damaged because of the actions of one person. Sometime blame is very appropriate,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Anthony Foley's DVD documentary is being shown at 10:15pm on TG4 tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 780 ✭✭✭Kirk Van Houten

If that is directed at me you should have to maturity to say so instead of an over the shoulder school playground “someone” attempt. This is a discussion forum for adults, people can have a difference of opinion.

Give it a rest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,845 ✭✭✭shootermacg

You should have the maturity to figure that out through process of elimination.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

And sometimes the person to blame is the solution.

The Head of the ESRI's Behavioural Research Unit who is a member of the behavioural change subgroup of NPHET has literally said it's not.

What makes you think you know better than him?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,134 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

Anthony Foley's DVD documentary is being shown at 10:15pm on TG4 tonight.

What a beautiful piece of TV. Hard to believe it was 2.5 hours long, it flew!!

Give it a rest.

You should have addressed your comments to the posters who decided to bring up the topic again yesterday.

aloooof wrote: »
    The Head of the ESRI's Behavioural Research Unit who is a member of the behavioural change subgroup of NPHET has literally said it's not.

What makes you think you know better than him?

I hate to have to tell you this, but people are to blame for the spread of this virus. The person who skipped quarantine and visited a hairdressers in carrigaline and tested positive. The Celtic soccer player who went to Spain on the quiet. The meat factory where guidelines are being ignored are all down to people not doing what they should be doing.

It’s obvious will all the precautions being taken around the place that the majority of current cases are as a result of people doing something that is in contravention of the guidelines.

All I have done, which isn’t unreasonable is ask what has this player done to contract the virus? Has he done something against the guidelines that has caused this because it is possible he has, the majority of infections now are down to this.

The answer could be nothing, It could very possibly be nothing but it could also be Something irresponsible that has now put his club mates at risk of infection, the remainder of the season at risk of cancellation and a possible large knock on effect from there.

Hopefully it transpires that this is an isolated case, with unknown community transmission (Which leads to a Much wider question) because all the guidelines have been Followed all the time. But until that is established other possibilities exist.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

In fairness to lawrencesummers, he's right. There will be people who catch this virus because some woman in Tesco sneezed in his face and there will be people who catch it because he went to a house party, hooked up with a stranger and woke up with hazy memories of how he got home. The first is completely free of blame, obviously - but the second, not so much. We'll never have any idea how this particular player caught it so it's all academic.

In a weird way, this might not be the worst thing to happen, if it reminds the players, all strapping healthy young men, that a) they're not immune and b) catching it has repercussions not just for them, not just their club but for the sport as a whole, so everyone needs to redouble their efforts. Use it as a positive rather than a negative, if you get me. Hopefully it was caught early enough not to have spread.

• Advertisement

In fairness to lawrencesummers, he's right. There will be people who catch this virus because some woman in Tesco sneezed in his face and there will be people who catch it because he went to a house party, hooked up with a stranger and woke up with hazy memories of how he got home. The first is completely free of blame, obviously - but the second, not so much. We'll never have any idea how this particular player caught it so it's all academic.

In a weird way, this might not be the worst thing to happen, if it reminds the players, all strapping healthy young men, that a) they're not immune and b) catching it has repercussions not just for them, not just their club but for the sport as a whole, so everyone needs to redouble their efforts. Use it as a positive rather than a negative, if you get me. Hopefully it was caught early enough not to have spread.

While we - the posters on a forum might and should probably never know I hope the authorities don’t take the avenue of approach and there is a detailed level of tracing and attempt to find the source of the infection because establishing the source removes future risk for others and unnecessary speculation about the player in question.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,773 ✭✭✭connemara man

I suppose theres a point that there might be "blame" in a person's actions, but I don't have the right to know how everyone who has contacted the illness to date has caught it and I sure as hell don't have the right to know how this single rugby player caught Covid. And even if I did naming and shaming people and dragging them through the coals if they weren't perfect (let's face it who is) is only going to reduce the amount of people who do come forward if they catch it and will end up spreading it more

I suppose theres a point that there might be "blame" in a person's actions, but I don't have the right to know how everyone who has contacted the illness to date has caught it and I sure as hell don't have the right to know how this single rugby player caught Covid. And even if I did naming and shaming people and dragging them through the coals if they weren't perfect (let's face it who is) is only going to reduce the amount of people who do come forward if they catch it and will end up spreading it more

That’s the point, a lot of people are perfect when it comes to following guidelines and doing what is required. The majority of people are doing what is needed. As far as “blame” goes that’s a childish way to talk about it.

What is relevant is the source of the infection, and tracing the source of every infection. A difficult and sometimes impossible task but an extremely important one that means a particular infection like this in a workplace can be put to bed. If you want to call it blame then fine, but it’s also called finding a root cause.

If no source is identified for an infection it means unanswered questions and Can lead to a lack of confidence for people in the processes that are being followed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,773 ✭✭✭connemara man

That’s the point, a lot of people are perfect when it comes to following guidelines and doing what is required. The majority of people are doing what is needed. As far as “blame” goes that’s a childish way to talk about it.

What is relevant is the source of the infection, and tracing the source of every infection. A difficult and sometimes impossible task but an extremely important one that means a particular infection like this in a workplace can be put to bed. If you want to call it blame then fine, but it’s also called finding a root cause.

If no source is identified for an infection it means unanswered questions and Can lead to a lack of confidence for people in the processes that are being followed.

And by all accounts the Gov have a good track and trace capability and Munster have good procedures in place. No one here has the right to know the outcome of that.

On a side note I'm very diligent at following the guidelines but I forget my mask every second day, I can forget myself when I'm wearing it and go within 2 meters perfection in a very very hard thing to maintain

You have said multiple times they might have done something wrong that's apportioning blame. It feels like you might want a guy sacked without knowing any details. We don't know what happened we have no right to know what happened. If you trust the track and trace system, and that Munster and the player (who I hope doesn't get too badly effected) are now acting to correct procedure isn't that all anyone can ask for.

Indeed I said multiple times that the player might have done something wrong, and that is still the case.

He might not have either, but some people on here seem to have a real issue understanding the meaning of the word “might”.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

What has the player done wrong to contract the infection since last being tested?

Forgive the semantics but this question implies the player has done something wrong. I don't see the word "might".
    This accusatory tone is what will encourage other people to not go forward for testing.

There's no use in speculating on who investigates what either. We will never know.

Forgive the semantics but this question implies the player has done something wrong. I don't see the word "might".
    This accusatory tone is what will encourage other people to not go forward for testing.

There's no use in speculating on who investigates what either. We will never know.

And the answer to the question could be NOTHING.

But the answer could also be something, it could be something simple Others learn fro that stops others getting infected Or it could be a glaring Purposeful contravention of the guidelines. I never said it was any of those but hope somebody is asking.

You can contrive whatever tone you want from it, or get unnecessarily offended by it all you like.

Indeed I said multiple times that the player might have done something wrong, and that is still the case.

He might not have either, but some people on here seem to have a real issue understanding the meaning of the word “might”.

I don't want to keep rowing with you Lawrence but, as Thomond pointed out, this level of nuance just wasn't present in your earlier posts:
    What has the player done wrong to contract the infection since last being tested?
    anyone getting the virus at this stage is doing something wrong be it in their work or private life.

I don't want to keep rowing with you Lawrence but, as Thomond pointed out, this level of nuance just wasn't present in your earlier posts:

Explaining this again would be similar but worse than banging my head off a wall. If you can’t understand it by now you never will.

Nuance and tone. I never heard so much bollocks in a long time. Stop being so sensitive.

The player has most likely done something wrong to contract the virus, that is the highest probability because the guidelines work and the majority of cases now are a result of such, you have consistently and wrongly assumed that im saying he has done something nefarious when It can be wrong in a very innocent way as well, and establishing what this is can be very helpful to others.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

Lawrencesummers DO NOT post in this thread again about Covid.

• Advertisement

One rule for me and one rule for everyone else is it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,117 ✭✭✭OldRio

Sigh.

Anyone know when the team will be announced? Looking forward to it, now!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,126 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

Anyone know when the team will be announced? Looking forward to it, now!

I know it's been a while, but just like every other Saturday match, the team will be announced around noon on Friday. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭xxyyzz

That's a shame. Realistically you'd imagine only Hayley and Beirne would have made the squad this weekend. it will be interesting to see how Gallagher goes, presumably at fullback.

Starting 7 possibly the least certain position? I think JOD deserves it for form from earlier in the season, but TOD a more natural 7. Hopefully TOD can get a run without injury, at least.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,006 ✭✭✭donfers

post your predicted team folks...whoever gets the most starters right gets a covid-free mars bar

• Registered Users Posts: 1,366 ✭✭✭yerrahbah

Killer, Scannell Archer, Kleyn, Snyman, POM, JOD, Stander, Murray, JJH, Earls, DDA, Farrell, Conway, Daly

Loughman, KO'B, Ryan, Whycherley, JOS, Casey, Healy, Sweetnam

• Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭Tomtom364

After watching the premiership over the weekend and seeing the northern hemisphere refs with the new ruck interpretation I am even more convinced you have to put Cloete into the team. He could be an absolute nightmare to deal with at rucks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,366 ✭✭✭yerrahbah

Tomtom364 wrote: »
    After watching the premiership over the weekend and seeing the northern hemisphere refs with the new ruck interpretation I am even more convinced you have to put Cloete into the team. He could be an absolute nightmare to deal with at rucks.

If he can regain the form he had when he first joined Munster then he would be an incredible asset.

But IMO he hasn't reached played at that level in a while and he gives away too many penalties

Advertisement