Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Munster Team Talk Thread - New season title pending....

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

Some amount of nonsense going about on this thread. Carbery was not fit going into the RWC. This was well known at the time. Schmidt and the IRFU are responsible. They took him and played him when he was not fit to do so and it's not a jump by any means to deduce that this has exacerbated the injury.

He also was a 15 and not a 10, Schmidt and the IRFU recommended him to move to 10 and then move to Munster to play. Didn't see many Munster fans complaining then?

If he wasn't fit then he would never have got onto the pitch at the WC? do you think the medical team of Ireland go around just playing unfit players? :confused:

Hopefully when Carbery comes back everyone see sense and moves him to 15....get this charade over and done with.

• Administrators Posts: 53,993 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

this is the munster thread, fans of other provinces are welcome to post here but this thread will have red tinted glasses, if you can’t live with without needing to argue everything then don’t read it.

Cards will be handed out if this continues.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,366 ✭✭✭yerrahbah

Devastated for Joey, thats a really cruel blow

Has Scannell played 10 recently?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

yerrahbah wrote: »
    Devastated for Joey, thats a really cruel blow

Has Scannell played 10 recently?

Just checked, he's only started there twice, the most recent time being in 2015 against Dragons. He's been in the 22 jersey on a number of occasions, and filled, as well tho.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 100 ✭✭rayd3

aloooof wrote: »
    Just checked, he's only started there twice, the most recent time being in 2015 against Dragons. He's been in the 22 jersey on a number of occasions, and filled, as well tho.

Ulster in Belfast around 2016 or 2017 I thought? Kicked a winning (absolutely filthy) drop goal. Maybe stepping in there because of injury later in the game though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,091 ✭✭✭✭ Alistair Colossal Sonar

Honestly we are likely to be missing dda for a while due to the rugby championship so scannell will play center then. I have no issue rolling with hanrahan/Healy

• Registered Users Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭TomsOnTheRoof

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    He also was a 15 and not a 10, Schmidt and the IRFU recommended him to move to 10 and then move to Munster to play. Didn't see many Munster fans complaining then?

If he wasn't fit then he would never have got onto the pitch at the WC? do you think the medical team of Ireland go around just playing unfit players? :confused:

Hopefully when Carbery comes back everyone see sense and moves him to 15....get this charade over and done with.

So because Schmidt and the IRFU engineered his move to Munster they should be absolved of all responsibilities regarding his welfare? That's a new one on me.

If you think players aren't played when they are carrying injuries then I don't know what to say. Time and time again players are strapped up and sent on, at all levels. Ultimately this is the coach's choice and the coach must accept responsibility for the outcome.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,845 ✭✭✭shootermacg

I want to wish Joey the best, and hope he takes exactly the right amount of time to get his body right.

rayd3 wrote: »
    Ulster in Belfast around 2016 or 2017 I thought? Kicked a winning (absolutely filthy) drop goal. Maybe stepping in there because of injury later in the game though.

Good memory! He's had some memorable penalties from distance as well, that huge one against Glasgow to win at the death comes to mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,790 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

So because Schmidt and the IRFU engineered his move to Munster they should be absolved of all responsibilities regarding his welfare? That's a new one on me.

If you think players aren't played when they are carrying injuries then I don't know what to say. Time and time again players are strapped up and sent on, at all levels. Ultimately this is the coach's choice and the coach must accept responsibility for the outcome.

Have you anything to back up your assertion that JS and his medical staff acted negligently at the RWC with regards to Carbery?

• Advertisement

We’ve really blown right past someone suggesting what Richie McCaw did in his career should be some kind of marker for out-halves in their early twenties without acknowledging it.

Burkie1203 wrote: »
    Have you anything to back up your assertion that JS and his medical staff acted negligently at the RWC with regards to Carbery?

What, you mean apart from the fact that Carbery was brought over to the tournament with an ankle injury, had limited gametime throughout the RWC and has had reoccurring issues with the same ankle subsequently? Or are you asking if I am privy to his medical records. And I'll not be baited into bandying allegations of negligence on a forum thank you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 490 ✭✭Scottmactom

If his ankle was in such bad shape post WC, why did he play for Munster?

It's not. It is the medical team who take the call on who is fit or not. This has been repeated a number of times by ex-Pro's who have said they will play but the Doctor says no. It was the managements team decision to not play someone if they didn't train fully that week.

Are you saying the IRFU doctors approved an unfit player to play in a game against Japan during the WC?

Are you saying the doctors and the management team decided to change 6 years of policy for Carbery to play a few mins against Japan?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,570 ✭✭✭bennyl10

If his ankle was in such bad shape post WC, why did he play for Munster?

December, 2 months later.

So eh went to a world cup where he shouldn't have played and had to take a further 2 almost 3 months off

I dont understand how any can think he was fully fit to go to the WC, he was carried off on a stretcher in a warm up, and his ankle hasnt been fully right since

• Subscribers Posts: 41,734 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

What, you mean apart from the fact that Carbery was brought over to the tournament with an ankle injury, had limited gametime throughout the RWC and has had reoccurring issues with the same ankle subsequently? Or are you asking if I am privy to his medical records. And I'll not be baited into bandying allegations of negligence on a forum thank you.

so munster management and medics are even more culpable for his injury seeing as he had 2 appearances in the 19/20 season????

surely they would have known that schmidt and the irfu broke him during the RWCX .... and should not have deemed him fit to play

wouldn't they????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 490 ✭✭Scottmactom

bennyl10 wrote: »
    December, 2 months later.

So eh went to a world cup where he shouldn't have played and had to take a further 2 almost 3 months off

I dont understand how any can think he was fully fit to go to the WC, he was carried off on a stretcher in a warm up, and his ankle hasnt been fully right since

and munster played him with the apparently unhealthy ankle and only stopped him from playing when he hurt his wrist.

sydthebeat wrote: »
    so munster management and medics are even more culpable for his injury seeing as he had 2 appearances in the 19/20 season????

surely they would have known that schmidt and the irfu broke him during the RWCX .... and should not have deemed him fit to play

wouldn't they????

Munster gave Carberry time to rehab the injury upon his return. If the time was insufficient then Munster are culpable, however there is a world of difference between rushing someone who is carrying an injury back into play (in a RWC for that matter) and rehabbing someone only for a reoccurring injry to rear its head again.

and munster played him with the apparently unhealthy ankle and only stopped him from playing when he hurt his wrist.

Post it a fourth time. Go on. For the laugh.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,366 ✭✭✭yerrahbah

This thread is aptly named anyway.

Looking forward to some normality this weekend when the rugby returns and Munster play (checks notes) ah FFS :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,664 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

such a shame about Joey Carbery

Still a young man and hopefully he can stay involved in the game in someway (coaching, business side etc)

What now for number 10 for both Munster and Ireland (after Sexton)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭Tomtom364

PTH2009 wrote: »

Still a young man and hopefully he can stay involved in the game in someway (coaching, business side etc)

Hes not retiring.

This seems a bit premature, he hasn't retired. Let's hope this period out gives him every chance to recover before writing him off.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,734 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

hes only 24 for gods sake

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Massive shame for him. His career has been blighted by injury to date. At this point, his career is in danger of being one of unfulfilled potential and sitting alongside the likes Darragh Hurley, John Hayes or Ciarán Potts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭xxyyzz

Presumably Nucifora is telling Harry Byrne to pack his bags.

xxyyzz wrote: »

News has been out seven hours, how did nobody come up with this scalding hot take before now? Bravo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,664 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

When are they releasing the new clothing range ?

would like a nice red polo shirt, still have the dark green one from 2 seasons ago

xxyyzz wrote: »

Frawlay was already nominated on here as a "stop gap" for Munster.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,134 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

New Leinster jersey for 2020/2021 yet apparently they'll wear it on Saturday...

https://twitter.com/The42_ie/status/1295997055102574592?s=09

Advertisement