Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Munster Team Talk Thread - New season title pending....

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,845 ✭✭✭shootermacg

Caranica wrote: »
    New Leinster jersey for 2020/2021 yet apparently they'll wear it on Saturday...

https://twitter.com/The42_ie/status/1295997055102574592?s=09

Do they have it in red?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,842 ✭✭✭ionadnapokot

Is Scannell going to be the primary back-up for JJ?
    https://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/rugby/arid-40034327.html

• Registered Users Posts: 1,366 ✭✭✭yerrahbah

Is Scannell going to be the primary back-up for JJ?
    https://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/rugby/arid-40034327.html

It would be convenient with the arrival of DDA potentially pushing Scannell out of the first 15.

I am sure Scannell can play at 10, but i haven't seen enough of him playing there to be confident he can do a job in the big games.

We really need JJ to stay fit

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,842 ✭✭✭ionadnapokot

yerrahbah wrote: »
    It would be convenient with the arrival of DDA potentially pushing Scannell out of the first 15.

I am sure Scannell can play at 10, but i haven't seen enough of him playing there to be confident he can do a job in the big games.

We really need JJ to stay fit

im not sure how many games he has played at 10 sine JJ has come back. Probably none.

Hopefully two more rounds left. Then a SF and potential Final on 12th Sep

Has there been any fixtures penciled in for the Pro 14 20/21?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,091 ✭✭✭✭ Alistair Colossal Sonar

I'd be fairly disappointed if we just played JJ and scannell Healy and flannery need senior game time Harry Byrne was the same age group as then and will push for Ireland no. 2 this season. Many vinupola is a year younger and started champions cup games for saracens last season. Both performed well.in an u20 world cup last year and Healy didn't look out of place last year when he did play. Get our young guys in there even if it's during the internationals when some other teams.will be missing guys

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,134 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

Starts October 3rd I think

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

I'd be fairly disappointed if we just played JJ and scannell Healy and flannery need senior game time Harry Byrne was the same age group as then and will push for Ireland no. 2 this season. Many vinupola is a year younger and started champions cup games for saracens last season. Both performed well.in an u20 world cup last year and Healy didn't look out of place last year when he did play. Get our young guys in there even if it's during the internationals when some other teams.will be missing guys

There's a great chance to pick up a trophy over the next four weeks so I don't expect many youngsters to feature just yet.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,126 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

Nope. They've said that they hope to start on the first weekend in Oct and that's about it. It's difficult to release any fixtures when you still don't know if the SA teams will be able to take part.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,091 ✭✭✭✭ Alistair Colossal Sonar

There's a great chance to pick up a trophy over the next four weeks so I don't expect many youngsters to feature just yet.

Fair point perhaps after the season

• Registered Users Posts: 2,327 ✭✭✭theVersatile

Hearing rumours in Limerick that Munster are in for Dan Carter. Big if true.

• Advertisement

Man signed for the blues and never played he'd be a good signging but more for teaching the young out halves than anything else

• Closed Accounts Posts: 100 ✭✭rayd3

Not surprising. He’s good mates with Mathieu Bastareaud and Isaac Lucas who are also reportedly signing with the province. Unsure when they are arriving.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭xxyyzz

I believe that all hinged on Mick Galwey coming back out of retirement so they could have a good singsong after matches.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,845 ✭✭✭shootermacg

xxyyzz wrote: »
    I believe that all hinged on Mick Galwey coming back out of retirement so they could have a good singsong after matches.

Where does it end though, he'll go nowhere without the claw!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

Murray Kinsella saying Shane Daly could feature in the back 3.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,287 ✭✭✭Niallof9

This feels like Bleyendaal 2.0. His availability is a bonus rather than a given.

nah, Tlyer had the neck. Potentially life threatening if it goes wrong. He had to be micro managed i'd imagine.

Having had similar ankle damage playing at a much lower level in the AIL it took me years to be pain free. My ankle would swell after games or training. I went over it in my teens leading to a near dislocation and it didn't fully heal for a long time. i'd reckon about 7 years. Only taking a full year off did it really heal.

It might be a case where he needs a long rest and then will have to play in pain and discomfort. Obviously as an international 10 maybe this will never be good enough. Or it might be a case where the injury is similar to Ferris. But half the players are playing in pain. Reading Rory Best's book he makes this exact point. Nobody is truly injury free at that level, hell even any level. Rugby is a brutal sport.

He is very injury prone though, some just are unlucky.

Wishing him a speedy recovery.

At least Luke and Ferris had a real crack at it. We haven't even seen really what Joey is capable of, which imo is World Class

• Closed Accounts Posts: 490 ✭✭Scottmactom

Ferris compared is to his ankle problem that ultimately ended his career.

https://www.balls.ie/podcasts/joey-carbery-ferris-439950

yeah it is worrying.

Would a ball carrying six have more wear and tear on their ankle though?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 490 ✭✭Scottmactom

Niallof9 wrote: »
    https://www.balls.ie/podcasts/joey-carbery-ferris-439950

yeah it is worrying.

Would a ball carrying six have more wear and tear on their ankle though?

to a stepping, goal kicking outhalf?

Not sure.

to a stepping, goal kicking outhalf?

Not sure.

Yeah on his standing foot granted, its his right that is injured?

I suppose it affects his footwork and kicking.

But a forward carrys alot into heavy traffic taking alot of weight on him, as well as scrums, lineouts. alot of niggly exchanges in the tight. a constant weight bearing arm wrestle, i mean not taking a dig at backs but they prob do get a little more standing with hands on hips time. I mean even it might allow somebody like Joey to train easier than somebody like Ferris who without doing all that stuff isn't playing or training as a forward. Like backs won't have to to a 30 scrum live session ever. every one of those scrums put Ferris' ankle in a bad position.

Prob little difference.

I think 6 months off might be required. It was beyond stupid to bring him to Japan.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,338 ✭✭✭✭phog

Officials for tomorrow's game

Leinster v Munster at Aviva Stadium, Dublin
    Referee: Andrew Brace
    Assistant referees: George Clancy, Joy Neville
    Television match official: Brian MacNeice

Connacht get Frank Murphy, thankfully.

aloooof wrote: »
    Murray Kinsella saying Shane Daly could feature in the back 3.

Makes more sense to me than Gallagher

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

Ferris compared is to his ankle problem that ultimately ended his career.

I think there's a definite similarity, in that if we're waiting for the day when Carbery can take the field with no risk of recurrence of the injury, then his career is already over.

Like, the guy has been struggling with ankle injuries for his entire career. That's why I think the idea he was "rushed" back for the RWC is wide of the mark. I think if he'd been left at home, the chances that he'd still be out indefinitely today are probably exactly the same.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,126 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

Munster: Shane Daly; Andrew Conway, Chris Farrell, Damian de Allende, Keith Earls; JJ Hanrahan, Conor Murray; James Cronin, Niall Scannell, Stephen Archer; RG Snyman, Billy Holland; Peter O’Mahony (C), Tommy O’Donnell, CJ Stander.

Replacements: Rhys Marshall, Dave Kilcoyne, John Ryan, Jean Kleyn, Chris Cloete, Craig Casey, Rory Scannell, Matt Gallagher.

A few surprises in there.

JOD unavailable due to concussion.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,366 ✭✭✭yerrahbah

Delighted to see Daly start and Casey on the bench.

Cronin ahead of Kilcoyne is a puzzler for me

Holland and O'Donnell ahead of Kleyn and Cloete would suggest we are looking to play a more expansive game

Good impact from the bench

• Subscribers Posts: 41,734 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

munster creating their own "bomb squad" of marshall, killers, ryan, kleyn and cloete .......

• Registered Users Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭TomsOnTheRoof

Not impressed with Cloete there at all. Gives away needless penalties constantly. He's an idiot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 100 ✭✭rayd3

Not impressed with Cloete there at all. Gives away needless penalties constantly. He's an idiot.

Have been watching rugby lately and disagree, looks like he could win breakdown turnovers or milk penalties from opposition pretty easily. Leinster have had to give his some ludicrous treatment in recent years because of his threat. Furlong trying to decapitate him comes to mind (and getting a yellow for his trouble).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,838 ✭✭✭theboss80

Really excited to see a team sheet again and looks great. Delighted with the backing of some of the younger guns, something we haven't really been able to do as of late. That bench to finish the game is verrrry strong. Leinster went with a 6-2 split which is surprising so must be expecting a long day up front which I hope they get. RG vs Baird - baptism of fire.

Whats the weather supposed to be like tomorrow?

• Advertisement

If it's a penalty laden game like the first games in every rugby competition that has come back so far, he's no more of a risk than anyone else.

Advertisement