Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Munster Team Talk Thread - New season title pending....

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭TomsOnTheRoof

rayd3 wrote: »
    Have been watching rugby lately and disagree, looks like he could win breakdown turnovers or milk penalties from opposition pretty easily. Leinster have had to give his some ludicrous treatment in recent years because of his threat. Furlong trying to decapitate him comes to mind (and getting a yellow for his trouble).

I get where you are coming from with regards the new breakdown interpretations but as far as I was aware they were put in place for the Aus and NZ SR comps. Regardless I think we have wasted an opportunity to have a good look at O'Sullivan. I have very little faith in Cloete and while he's quick in over the ball he lacks the top six inches. Look, it's just a personal preference at the end of the day. Obviously if he comes on I'll be supporting him as much as the rest.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,734 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

all refs are looking for now off the jackler is a lift. cloete is quick enough to get positioned and lift before the first clear out... so he could win some vital pens when he comes on.

munsters biggest threat for giving away penalties is making sure their cleaners / latchers stay on their feet in rucks... if they start flopping over they will get whistled all day... judging by how the breakdown interpretations have been going so far since the restart.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

sydthebeat wrote: »
    all refs are looking for now off the jackler is a lift. cloete is quick enough to get positioned and lift before the first clear out... so he could win some vital pens when he comes on.

munsters biggest threat for giving away penalties is making sure their cleaners / latchers stay on their feet in rucks... if they start flopping over they will get whistled all day... judging by how the breakdown interpretations have been going so far since the restart.

I haven't seen much of the SR rugby, but had read somewhere they were looking more for jackalers supporting their own body weight as well? Hands on the ground were getting penalised?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭TomsOnTheRoof

We also have a tendency to be caught rotten at defensive mauls. Scannell in particular is terrible for this. The amount of times he's come in the side after repeated warnings and given away a penalty only to fix the ref with a look of hurt incredulity is staggering.

Anyway that's enough grumbling from me. Two good sides, so here's hoping the weather is good and we have a cracker.

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭BloodyBill

How is Holland starting ahead of Kleyn? Holland is probably the worst second row in Ireland .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,091 ✭✭✭✭ Alistair Colossal Sonar

BloodyBill wrote: »
    How is Holland starting ahead of Kleyn? Holland is probably the worst second row in Ireland .

1. Hollands not that bad
    2. I believe kleyn is seen as a tight head lock

aloooof wrote: »
    I haven't seen much of the SR rugby, but had read somewhere they were looking more for jackalers supporting their own body weight as well? Hands on the ground were getting penalised?

i certainly wouldnt say "more"....

'hands on the ground' was getting caught a good bit last season... players doing that digger motion where they go down on their hands in order to be pushed back onto the ball was being picked up a good bit.

but what was really obvious and led to a lot of turnover ball in SR is a quick jackle with a lift before a clearout was getting pens straight away. Thats how you had guys like Damien McKenzie had the highest turnover stats after round 4 with 5 in total.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

Thats how you had guys like Damien McKenzie had the highest turnover stats after round 4 with 5 in total.

That's some stat!

aloooof wrote: »
    That's some stat!

yep... and you have small scrum halfs like brad webber and aaron smith also getting in on the action.

once youve good positioning, and are quick enough to get onto the ball and lift... you were getting the pen straight away.

as the comp wore on, tackled players were getting better fighting through the tackle and then body position on the ground with a long placement. this gave the cleaner an extra second to arrive and these types of turnovers were happening less.

but i wouldnt be surprised to see a lot of these this weekend, if the day are dry.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 Miriam Gonzalez Durantez

I wouldn’t say that. He has had some amazing performances in red one of which was against Leinster.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,366 ✭✭✭yerrahbah

https://www.munsterrugby.ie/2020/06/24/munster-200-club-billy-holland/

You don't get 200 caps across several different managers by being a bad player.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,845 ✭✭✭shootermacg

Not gonna lie, I wanted to see Kleyn and Synman start. But calling Holland a bad player is so far wide of the mark as to be stupid. He's there for his lineout skills and leadership. Synman probably still has a bit of work to do on the calls.

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭BloodyBill

yerrahbah wrote: »
    https://www.munsterrugby.ie/2020/06/24/munster-200-club-billy-holland/

You don't get 200 caps across several different managers by being a bad player.

About 160 of them are pro 14 filler games. Hes the new John Kelly or Anthony Horgan...hanging around forever.

About 160 of them are pro 14 filler games. Hes the new John Kelly or Anthony Horgan...hanging around forever.

Someone has to play in those games.

I'm not saying Holland is in the same class as Paul O'Connell.
    If Munster were to play in the Pro14 final this year he probably doesn't make the first 15 or even the bench

What I am saying is that he has been and is a very useful squad member for Munster over the years and has come up with some big moments in big games in recent times

This being one of my personal favorites

https://twitter.com/Munsterrugby/status/1093893161057959937

Saying he is one of the worst 2nd rows in Ireland is wide of the mark IMO

And if accepting a contract that is offered to you is "hanging around forever" then I'm sure Billy would be delighted to hang around for another 10 years

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭Sir Guy who smiles

Not gonna lie, I wanted to see Kleyn and Synman start. But calling Holland a bad player is so far wide of the mark as to be stupid. He's there for his lineout skills and leadership. Synman probably still has a bit of work to do on the calls.

Don't Snyman and Kleyn pack down on the same side of the scrum as well?

• Registered Users Posts: 780 ✭✭✭Kirk Van Houten

Not sure if you are serious and stupid or just looking for attention but either way that statement is just wrong on so many levels it's hard to know where to start.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 917 ✭✭✭MickeyLeari

Not sure if you are serious and stupid or just looking for attention but either way that statement is just wrong on so many levels it's hard to know where to start.

Agree. He is a massive leader - the best teams need players like him.

Hard to know what to expect today.

6 months without a game, new breakdown interpretations, 3 players making their debut today

There is bound to be a lot of knock-ons, penalties, blown lineouts etc

Could be a frustrating game to watch.

I'd like to see Larkhams imprint in the game, but can understand if a conservative approach is taken.

No injuries and a close game and ill be happy enough.

Leinster by 5

• Registered Users Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭schmoo2k

Getting motivated now, how long ago was it when Dougie (arrested in London EnRoute) before Joining Munster for a great tenure!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,327 ✭✭✭theVersatile

Cronin out, Killer in with Loughman on the bench

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,091 ✭✭✭✭ Alistair Colossal Sonar

Cronin out, Killer in with Loughman on the bench

feel for cronin injuries have killed his career

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Absolute disaster, premier img authentication issues on my account. Absolute shítshow of a company

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,868 ✭✭✭budhabob

razorblunt wrote: »
    Absolute disaster, premier img authentication issues on my account. Absolute shítshow of a company

What's the story? I have sports extra on NowTV but this isn't working? Did miss something? Showing on listings

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,570 ✭✭✭bennyl10

budhabob wrote: »
    What's the story? I have sports extra on NowTV but this isn't working? Did miss something? Showing on listings

They can’t show it due to rights
    It’s geo blocked

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,868 ✭✭✭budhabob

bennyl10 wrote: »
    They can’t show it due to rights
    It’s geo blocked

Well that's 30yoyo down the drain, and now have to find a work around. Bull****

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

budhabob wrote: »
    My Sky card is linked to the account they won’t accept even though it was working back in March, new email won’t get linked to the Sky, they’re not accepting phone calls.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,806 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

This should have been on free to air tbh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,285 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

The Premier Sport you get with Sky Sports Extra / Now TV is only licenced to show Pro14 in GB, so its geolocked in Ireland. Eir Sport is only (legal) way to see the game live.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,806 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

Larbre34 wrote: »
    The Premier Sport you get with Sky Sports Extra / Now TV is only licenced to show Pro14 in GB, so its geolocked in Ireland. Eir Sport is only (legal) way to see the game live.

Not the same I know but can listen on RTE radio 1 too. Delayed coverage on TG4

• Advertisement

Great kick ross

Advertisement