Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Munster Team Talk Thread - New season title pending....

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 41,734 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Casey has fantastic width on his pass.... Just need someone from munster to run onto the bloody thing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,504 ✭✭✭sioda

Injuries cost us tonight but Casey again excellent and Daly looked good. Not every day you sub Kleyn for Scannell and don't fall apart

• Registered Users Posts: 1,366 ✭✭✭yerrahbah

yerrahbah wrote: »
    Hard to know what to expect today.

6 months without a game, new breakdown interpretations, 3 players making their debut today

There is bound to be a lot of knock-ons, penalties, blown lineouts etc

Could be a frustrating game to watch.

I'd like to see Larkhams imprint in the game, but can understand if a conservative approach is taken.

No injuries and a close game and ill be happy enough.

Leinster by 5

:rolleyes:

First of all its great to have the rugby back.

Here's hoping the injuries to Cronin, Killer, Kleyn and Snyman aren't too bad

Thought we did well despite going down to 7 forwards

We really needed to keep Leinster out just before halftime, going in with the lead would have been a great boost.

When it got to 24-13 (i think) I was thinking here we go again.

But to be fair they pulled it back and could have nicked it if it wasn't for that damned Dev Toner:pac: That pass from JJ was predictable

Thought Daly, Earls, Conway, Farrell, Murray, Casey and of course Stander had great games.

Handling let us down a few times, Scannell, Kleyn and Marshall stick out in the memory. But that is to be expected.

We got great joy from the box-kick, Larmour wont want to see a few of those back

Thought Murray was unlucky to give away penalty on the halfway line for not rolling away, I genuinely didn't think he could go anywhere

I think the last pass for Lowes try was marginally forward but thems the breaks

Casey made a great impact off the bench

I dont think Earls scores that try if Kearney is still on the field

Wasn't overly impressed with DdA, he was caught very narrow for Ringroses break in the 2nd half, but its his first game so i guess some teething issues are to be expected

Id like to think we saw some of Larkhams influence on the game, we looked expansive enough considering the circumstances

Ringrose is class

• Registered Users Posts: 2,327 ✭✭✭theVersatile

Thoughts lads?

Front row unspectacular besides a decent set piece machine (Marshall improved on Scannell around the pitch, had a few nice contributions leading up to the Earls tries) - obviously consideration has to be given for Loughman going 75 minutes. Kleyn's neck being an issue again doesn't look great, but Snyman looked to be walking fairly alright at the end so hopefully he'll be back for Connacht while opening up the doors for Fineen/Coombes in the 19 shirt). CJ top class as always. POM doing his bit out wide and in the lineout as per. Tommy caught rotten off that scrum break from McGrath while Cloete didnt have the desired effect on the breakdown - can see JOS or JOD leapfrogging the two of them.

Murray getting good purchase from the box kicks and I'm a firm believer that he isn't as slow as people let on (not on purpose anyways, some very messy ruck ball today that was even slowing down Energiser Bunny Craig Casey). Could've made the switch at 9 a bit earlier once Leinster sorted their back three but hindsight is 20/20. Farrell was TV MOTM and did serious damage on the ball carry. I've a feeling De Allende will cop some flack but I feel at the same time people were expecting line breaks and offloads coming out of his arse. He ran some good decoys and blocking lines and did the basics well linking on the edge - seems surprisingly sharp on his feet for a big unit too (when on the ball anyways) so hopefully he can start finding outside shoulders and getting some eye candy linebreaks. No complaints about the back three - bar maybe Conway turning in for Lowe's try. JJ adequate - won't hold the conversion miss against him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,790 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,176 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

What actually happened to Snyman? Didn't see a replay on TV. Read in the match thread that he wasn't brought to ground correctly by his lifters.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,790 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

Clegg wrote: »
    What actually happened to Snyman? Didn't see a replay on TV. Read in the match thread that he wasn't brought to ground correctly by his lifters.

Jumped at lineout.
    POM and one of the props I think didnt keep a hold of him and he came down on one leg. Knee looked to bend sideways slightly and when your 120kg or so ....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,327 ✭✭✭theVersatile

Think Billy was the second lifter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,845 ✭✭✭shootermacg

Thoughts lads?

Front row unspectacular besides a decent set piece machine (Marshall improved on Scannell around the pitch, had a few nice contributions leading up to the Earls tries) - obviously consideration has to be given for Loughman going 75 minutes. Kleyn's neck being an issue again doesn't look great, but Snyman looked to be walking fairly alright at the end so hopefully he'll be back for Connacht while opening up the doors for Fineen/Coombes in the 19 shirt). CJ top class as always. POM doing his bit out wide and in the lineout as per. Tommy caught rotten off that scrum break from McGrath while Cloete didnt have the desired effect on the breakdown - can see JOS or JOD leapfrogging the two of them.

Murray getting good purchase from the box kicks and I'm a firm believer that he isn't as slow as people let on (not on purpose anyways, some very messy ruck ball today that was even slowing down Energiser Bunny Craig Casey). Could've made the switch at 9 a bit earlier once Leinster sorted their back three but hindsight is 20/20. Farrell was TV MOTM and did serious damage on the ball carry. I've a feeling De Allende will cop some flack but I feel at the same time people were expecting line breaks and offloads coming out of his arse. He ran some good decoys and blocking lines and did the basics well linking on the edge - seems surprisingly sharp on his feet for a big unit too (when on the ball anyways) so hopefully he can start finding outside shoulders and getting some eye candy linebreaks. No complaints about the back three - bar maybe Conway turning in for Lowe's try. JJ adequate - won't hold the conversion miss against him.

Good analysis on the whole, but, I think DDA actually had a large hand in making Farrell look good. He was being marked whenever possible with VDF being on duty there most of the match.
    He also ran down RR from quite a ways back to force the kick.

If the chips had fallen in Munster's favour we would have won that one.

I felt really let down by Scannell at 2, two knock-ons at vital stages, just not good enough at all. Literally all the guy had to do ways catch a ball under no pressure. I'd be making out his P45 immediately.

• Advertisement

CJ Stander was the best player on the pitch this evening. So much urgency, hugely physical and his timing is incredible at the breakdown. He had the ref eating out of his hand - brilliant stuff.

O'Mahony's presence made farce of Leinster's line out. He put us under incredibly pressure and we had to put in obscene amounts of work in the loose to counter the complete capitulation of our lineout to POM and Holland.

There was one moment where Sexton was discussing whether to go for corner or take the points and I could swear he was questioning the % return of our lineout when talking to Baird.

Earls try was unbelievably clinical given how long it's been since play. He was great throughout and is such a tough nut, still an Ireland starter for me. Stockdale needs to put his cards on the table tomorrow because Conway and Earls were top drawer.

JJ the biggest surprise, really composed throughout and kicked exceptionally. I do wonder if he'll be the same player in 2 - 3 games time, I think he has buckets of talent but lacks the fitness and focus to maintain that level as the game minutes notch up.

A positive start but felt the game was there to be taken and without the injuries it would have gone Munster's way. I hope Snyman is only a minor bang, it shouldn't have happened to be honest and a costly loss of concentration.

Thoughts lads?

Good review and agree with most of this. Thought JJ was good to be honest, his work rate didn't fall off as the game progressed and he kicked well throughout.

Murray's kicking was excellent and whilst his game management was conservative, I think he played the fixture well and kept the percentages heavily in Munster's favour as regards to territory.

He's exactly the scrum half you want with a dominant set piece and that played out repeatedly throughout the game. Posters on the Leinster thread seem to think our back three struggled, the reality is that Murray and to a lesser extent JJ kicked really effectively and we struggled proportional to the quality of kicking we were trying to field.

A good first bust out for both teams, plenty to learn for both teams but feel the cost was a lot greater on Munster in terms of the season.

Highlights

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=89xYb3SjCts

For the first try Conway was clever in identifying the space on the opposite wing.

You see him on the right wing at the start of the clip and he ends up scoring on the left wing

Munster maul defense needs some work

That grubber by Henshaw was beautiful.

JJ did really well for Conways 2nd try, sucked in a few defenders.

Cloete did his best Samwise impression

Big Dev with the big play

https://twitter.com/Murray_Kinsella/status/1297456326033969152

• Registered Users Posts: 359 ✭✭antietam1

Good review and agree with most of this. Thought JJ was good to be honest, his work rate didn't fall off as the game progressed and he kicked well throughout.

Murray's kicking was excellent and whilst his game management was conservative, I think he played the fixture well and kept the percentages heavily in Munster's favour as regards to territory.

He's exactly the scrum half you want with a dominant set piece and that played out repeatedly throughout the game. Posters on the Leinster thread seem to think our back three struggled, the reality is that Murray and to a lesser extent JJ kicked really effectively and we struggled proportional to the quality of kicking we were trying to field.

A good first bust out for both teams, plenty to learn for both teams but feel the cost was a lot greater on Munster in terms of the season.

I thought we ruined our lineout more so than Petey, there was couple crooked there were a few to low as well.
    The one that we lost and VDF stripped was crooked and I think the Snyman injury may have been.
    Anyone remember when Axle used to receive a lot of kicks, I recall an Aussie match in particular.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

Looking towards the weekend, how did Connacht go against Ulster? Only caught the last 20 mins and Connacht closed it out really well, pinned Ulster right back.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,608 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

Good analysis on the whole, but, I think DDA actually had a large hand in making Farrell look good. He was being marked whenever possible with VDF being on duty there most of the match.
    He also ran down RR from quite a ways back to force the kick.

If the chips had fallen in Munster's favour we would have won that one.

I felt really let down by Scannell at 2, two knock-ons at vital stages, just not good enough at all. Literally all the guy had to do ways catch a ball under no pressure. I'd be making out his P45 immediately.

If your writing P45’s for players making two crucial Errors then you better get a stack of them and put Archer and JJ next in line.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,091 ✭✭✭✭ Alistair Colossal Sonar

Do we know when rgs scan is back

aloooof wrote: »
    Looking towards the weekend, how did Connacht go against Ulster? Only caught the last 20 mins and Connacht closed it out really well, pinned Ulster right back.

I was very impressed by Connacht yesterday in particular their back line. Marmion, Aki, Farrell, Carty, Porch all went well. Daly went well off the bench, very physical. They looked the most fluent ball in hand and played some lovely opportunistic heads up rugby.

Forwards not as dominant, but well drilled and good hands ensured a decent platform for the backs.

Ulster were a bit meek though which can't be ignored in the context of Connacht's performance. I thought one or two of Ulsters forwards also looked a bit unfit.

Should be a cracker of a match this weekend albeit both teams likely to rotate a good deal which means it's almost a blank slate in terms of expectations.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,711 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Do we know when rgs scan is back

I'd say they'll probably wait until the next injury update with the rest of the squad incl Killer and Kleyn.

We normally get a squad update on Monday afternoon.

Should have a better idea by the end of today

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

The Munster squad are on a down day with preparations for Sunday’s Guinness PRO14 clash against Connacht beginning at the HPC in Limerick tomorrow morning.

On the injury front, RG Snyman, Dave Kilcoyne and Jean Kleyn were all withdrawn due to injury during Saturday night’s game against Leinster with James Cronin pulling out of the starting XV before kick-off.

Snyman suffered a left knee injury and will go for an MRI scan today to assess further.

Kilcoyne was removed with a right ankle injury and will also undergo an MRI scan today.

Kleyn was removed with a neck injury, underwent imaging in hospital and was discharged. He will undergo further imaging today to investigate.

Cronin suffered a low-grade groin strain last weekend and will continue to rehab with the medical team.

Jack O’Donoghue suffered a concussion in training last week and will follow the graded return to play pathway under supervision of the medical team.

In positive news, Mike Haley (calf) will return to team training this week.

Continuing to rehab: Joey Carbery (ankle), Dan Goggin (ankle) and Roman Salanoa (abdominal).

https://www.munsterrugby.ie/2020/08/24/squad-update-pre-connacht-3/#post

Possible team:

Loughman, Marshall, Ryan, Beirne, Holland, POM, Cloete, CJ;
    Casey, JJ, Earls, DDA, Farrell, Conway, Gallagher

Scannell, LOC, Knox, Wycherley, JOS, Murray, Scannell, Daly

Injured: Cronin, Kilcoyne, Salanoa, Snyman, Kleyn, Carbery, Goggin

As Munster need two points to ensure they reach the semi-final I don't expect too many changes aside from those which will be injury enforced. Casey deserves the start after a good cameo. Gallagher did not play at all on Saturday so I imagine he'll start.

Not good news on the injury front at all

Kleyn missed the 6 nations with a neck injury, hopefully its not a re-occurrence of the same injury

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,126 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

Possible team:

Loughman, Marshall, Ryan, Beirne, Holland, Wycherley, Cloete, CJ;
    Casey, JJ, Earls, DDA, Farrell, Conway, Gallagher

Scannell, LOC, Knox, POM, JOS, Murray, Scannell, Daly

Injured: Cronin, Kilcoyne, Salanoa, Snyman, Kleyn, Carbery, Goggin

As Munster need an LBP to ensure they reach the semi-final I don't expect too many changes aside from those which will be injury enforced. Casey deserves the start after a good cameo. Gallagher did not play at all on Saturday so I imagine he'll start.

Munster need two points to guarantee reaching the semi (so realistically a win). The number of wins is the first decider in the case of being level on points and Scarlets are currently only 4 behind. If Munster only get a LBP and Scarlets win with a BP, both will be level on points, but Scarlets will finish higher due to having won one more match than Munster.

• Registered Users Posts: 798 ✭✭✭Rockbeast2

Munster need two points to guarantee reaching the semi (so realistically a win). The number of wins is the first decider in the case of being level on points and Scarlets are currently only 4 behind. If Munster only get a LBP and Scarlets win with a BP, both will be level on points, but Scarlets will finish higher due to having won one more match than Munster.

I was trying to figure out why Paddy Power are giving odds on Leinster V Munster on 4th September?

Is that meant to be the semi final or have I missed a game in rescheduled fixtures?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

Rockbeast2 wrote: »
    I was trying to figure out why Paddy Power are giving odds on Leinster V Munster on 4th September?

Is that meant to be the semi final or have I missed a game in rescheduled fixtures?

Yeah, that's the semi final.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

Its the semi final

• Registered Users Posts: 798 ✭✭✭Rockbeast2

Yeah, that's the semi final.

But it's not definite yet? :confused:

PP are confident so! :)

Bookies often offer odds for potential knockout matches. They just refund bets if the match doesn't take place.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

It's fairly common for PP to offer odds on events, matches etc. that aren't confirmed yet.

Advertisement