Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Munster Team Talk Thread - New season title pending....

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,126 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

BloodyBill wrote: »
    I hope Synman has just done medial ligament damage and not ACL. Kleyns a big worry. The neck injuries seem to keep reoccurring. Fingers crossed for both of them. At this stage its worth throwing in Coombes or Wycherly. No matter what happens I see Leinster beating Munster again in the semi. They are getting stronger as we are getting weaker. I still don't trust Hanrahan. Hes playing well. I wouldnt question that. He can't close out a game and he's not good under the highest pressure. Its the story of his career.

It's already been confirmed by Munster that it's his ACL.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 100 ✭✭rayd3

Great chance for Aherne.

Will probably come out of the season with 8 appearances like Baird and Casey currently have. Hopefully you won’t have screeched bloody murder every week he isn’t selected.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,734 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

i wonder due to the fact that all SA club rugby is paused, including currie cup, is there any cheap bok up-n-comer available for a one year contract??
    Munster would be an attractive name on a CV for someone who is ambitious.... someone like JJ van der Mescht... who is a HUGE man

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

sydthebeat wrote: »
    i wonder due to the fact that all SA club rugby is paused, including currie cup, is there any cheap bok up-n-comer available for a one year contract??
    Munster would be an attractive name on a CV for someone who is ambitious.... someone like JJ van der Mescht... who is a HUGE man

Unless there's another long term injury amongst the locks I don't see Munster making a signing. Our depth is excellent, it's against top level opposition where we may struggle.

There's Beirne, Wycherley and Holland with Ahern and Kelly in the academy. Gavin Coombes can provide cover too. Eoin O'Connor is in the academy also but I believe he's rehabbing an injury.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

It really depends on Kleyn. If he's out for 3 months, then there's no reason for a signing as Munster only have a few weeks before another 2-3 month gap.

If Kleyn needs surgery or a longer spell out, I can see a medical joker being requested. However, the big issue at the moment is where does the money come from? Players have just taken pay cuts. I don't see a private contributor coughing up again for a joker nor do I see the spreadsheets showing a pot of money for a one off signing unless they came here for next to nothing...which may actually be a possibility given the lack of rugby in SA.

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 41,734 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Buer wrote: »
    It really depends on Kleyn. If he's out for 3 months, then there's no reason for a signing as Munster only have a few weeks before another 2-3 month gap.

If Kleyn needs surgery or a longer spell out, I can see a medical joker being requested. However, the big issue at the moment is where does the money come from? Players have just taken pay cuts. I don't see a private contributor coughing up again for a joker nor do I see the spreadsheets showing a pot of money for a one off signing unless they came here for next to nothing...which may actually be a possibility given the lack of rugby in SA.

yeah thats why i was suggesting a cheap young lad with aspirations.
    someone in that bracket between an Aherne and a Kleyn.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,773 ✭✭✭connemara man

Jonny Sexton might need a club

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,176 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Do you mean Jerry Sexton?

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,831 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

Buer wrote: »

sydthebeat wrote: »
    yeah thats why i was suggesting a cheap young lad with aspirations.
    someone in that bracket between an Aherne and a Kleyn.

If Snyman is out for an extended period as looks likely , would his salary not move to being covered by Insurance and not from day to day funding?

And given that I assume that he is on a decent salary I'd have thought that it would open up enough to fund a replacement.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,773 ✭✭✭connemara man

Clegg wrote: »
    Do you mean Jerry Sexton?

Yes yes I did.

I'm gonna curl into a ball and hide

But Sure with Carberry injured get 2 sextons for the price of one

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,126 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

Quin_Dub wrote: »
    If Snyman is out for an extended period as looks likely , would his salary not move to being covered by Insurance and not from day to day funding?

And given that I assume that he is on a decent salary I'd have thought that it would open up enough to fund a replacement.

A large portion (if not all) of Snymans salary is being covered by private funding. The same with De Allende. There's not much saving for the IRFU coffers.

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭E mac

GVDH missed time through injury as well and never got going at Munster. Then there's Bleyendaal.

Cloete broke his arm not long after arriving.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 100 ✭✭rayd3

If Andy Faz can send Eóin over and he brings his buddy Maro with him Munster will be flying and Ireland might even be able to beat England again. Win win. Can’t imagine a solitary soul complaining about that.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

yerrahbah wrote: »
    https://twitter.com/Murray_Kinsella/status/1298190763361280000

Nice article on Munsters attack vs Leinster

Some good stuff there. Looking back, I think we were a touch lucky on the Earls try, Scannell and Cloete could both have been pinged 2 phases before.

Think Shane Daly was a touch too deep on a couple of occasions in attack, but he was very tidy with everything else. The second attack in the article, where Farrell knocks on, I think Daly's line was impeded by Loughman so can't find too much fault with that.

Fair to say Sean Cronin was pretty poor defending the last try?
    https://cdn.thejournal.ie/media/2020/08/click-here-if-you-cannot-view-the-clip-above-909.mp4

Johne Murphy made a good point on OTB that the new ruck interpretations may suit us more than most as, on Saturday for example, all of our back-row have started games at 7.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,845 ✭✭✭shootermacg

aloooof wrote: »

Fair to say Sean Cronin was pretty poor defending the last try?
    https://cdn.thejournal.ie/media/2020/08/click-here-if-you-cannot-view-the-clip-above-909.mp4

You not seeing Cloete latching in behind?

You not seeing Cloete latching in behind?

Spotted that, but think was he might have been a bit slow retreating? He only gets a hand to Cloete's back.

(Possibly harsh, as he would've expected Lowe to do better on Conway, which leaves Cloete for Doris, and he couldn't see what was outside / behind him as he retreated.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,366 ✭✭✭yerrahbah

https://twitter.com/Munsterrugby/status/1298213338019704833

New kit due tomorrow,

I think I'm right in saying that we will keep last years PRO14 jersey

And get new Euro and alternate jerseys

That's what it would be under normal circumstances anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭E mac

Adidas pres statement - the red dots subtlety represent all the injuries players have gotten since the partnership began with Munster and adidas.....sorry I'm in a real pissy mood today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,845 ✭✭✭shootermacg

yerrahbah wrote: »
    https://twitter.com/Munsterrugby/status/1298213338019704833

New kit due tomorrow,

I think I'm right in saying that we will keep last years PRO14 jersey

And get new Euro and alternate jerseys

That's what it would be under normal circumstances anyway

Coming to a disco ball near you soon, I am worried..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭mystic86

Image of new jersey, not my photo.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,831 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

Southern Kings disband until the end of the year

What are their 2nd rows like?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,790 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

Do Munster not have an academy?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,366 ✭✭✭yerrahbah

Burkie1203 wrote: »
    Do Munster not have an academy?

https://www.munsterrugby.ie/teams/academy-squad/

• Registered Users Posts: 11,806 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

mystic86 wrote: »
    Image of new jersey, not my photo.

Same old, same old really

• Registered Users Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭Dog Botherer

genuinely think Jerry Sexton is about as good as it gets, their cupboard was not exactly overflowing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

genuinely think Jerry Sexton is about as good as it gets, their cupboard was not exactly overflowing.

Their captain is a second row isn't he? Blonde fella with a big beard? Seem to remember him putting in some good shifts any time I've watched them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭Dog Botherer

Bazzo wrote: »
    Their captain is a second row isn't he? Blonde fella with a big beard? Seem to remember him putting in some good shifts any time I've watched them.

Willemse is/was captain, a hooker. think it’s Astle you’re thinking of, certainly fits the description. 29, probably coming into his peak, has bumped around a fair few clubs so would probably be amenable to a move. 6”6 and 115~kg so not small either. more likely he’ll go back to D2 French rugby but i suppose he could do a job for a few months.

the IRFU would probably be a lot happier signing Sexton than yet another Saffer.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,790 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

Willemse is/was captain, a hooker. think it’s Astle you’re thinking of, certainly fits the description. 29, probably coming into his peak, has bumped around a fair few clubs so would probably be amenable to a move. 6”6 and 115~kg so not small either. more likely he’ll go back to D2 French rugby but i suppose he could do a job for a few months.

the IRFU would probably be a lot happier signing Sexton than yet another Saffer.

Willemse is at Embra now

Cannot see any signings being sanctioned in the next few months bar maybe a front row crisis

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Brian Hayes? Alan Kennedy?

Advertisement