Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Munster Team Talk Thread - New season title pending....

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭Richie_Rich89

What about Holland at blindside and O'Mahony at openside?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,499 ✭✭✭Sabre0001

https://twitter.com/sineadkissane/status/1117783386171613184

Hmmmm...

I did, however, have a dream last night that we will beat Saracens this weekend. The only problem is that I need to be on the pitch :D Will be a daring call from JvG, but I'm ready!

🤪

• Registered Users Posts: 11,789 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

I'd love it he was recovered, but if he ain't right now point rushing him up. If Tyler plays on current form he will have good performance

• Registered Users Posts: 780 ✭✭✭Kirk Van Houten

The semi final will be won and lost in the forwards. Compared to when we played them two years ago our tight five is unrecognisable. Killer, Scannell and Ryan have all graduated from solid provincial players to Ireland 6 Nations match day squad players. Kleyn didn't play 2 years ago and Beirne wasnt at the club. Add in the fact Murray was injured for the last game it should hopefully be a much closer affair.
    I expect JOD to play at 7 with JVG keeping to the squad and gameplan that has seen us get past Exeter and Edinburgh. POM and Beirne will sweep in the defensive line looking for a chance to poach the ball or over commit Saracens players to a breakdown to allow Munster to contest at the next one. JOD will be needed to make a ton of tackles in that system rather than a third ground hog in Cloete.
    Botha will be on the bench for his carrying and physicality.
    Tyler to start the game and to help us play in the right areas of the pitch with JJ coming on if we need to open it up or chase the game more.
    Munster and Saracens play a similar gameplan. Play ball only in the right areas of the pitch and use the big men to hang onto the ball through the phases and to create the space for those outside. Munster have a lot more big men to carry into heavy traffic for that style of play than they did two years ago. I don't expect it to be pretty but it will hopefully be a good close arm wrestle.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,597 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

The semi final will be won and lost in the forwards.

Just on this, totally see where you're coming from but the backs will need a big game as well. I think Brad Barritt is out injured for Saracens? I think it's a game made for Farrell to have a big performance, would love to see him have a stormer. EDIT: Chris Farrell, before I'm killed.
    Compared to when we played them two years ago our tight five is unrecognisable. Killer, Scannell and Ryan have all graduated from solid provincial players to Ireland 6 Nations match day squad players. Kleyn didn't play 2 years ago and Beirne wasnt at the club. Add in the fact Murray was injured for the last game it should hopefully be a much closer affair.

If we do the same for Saracens tho, 4 of their tight 5 went on to become Lions. Each of them started a test (Mako and George starting all 3). They had 3 starters in the tight 5 in each test.

And, tight 5 aside, they've brought in another Lion in Liam Williams.
    I expect JOD to play at 7 with JVG keeping to the squad and gameplan that has seen us get past Exeter and Edinburgh. POM and Beirne will sweep in the defensive line looking for a chance to poach the ball or over commit Saracens players to a breakdown to allow Munster to contest at the next one. JOD will be needed to make a ton of tackles in that system rather than a third ground hog in Cloete.
    Botha will be on the bench for his carrying and physicality.
    Tyler to start the game and to help us play in the right areas of the pitch with JJ coming on if we need to open it up or chase the game more.
    Munster and Saracens play a similar gameplan. Play ball only in the right areas of the pitch and use the big men to hang onto the ball through the phases and to create the space for those outside. Munster have a lot more big men to carry into heavy traffic for that style of play than they did two years ago. I don't expect it to be pretty but it will hopefully be a good close arm wrestle.

It's a real shame Carbery isn't available for this one, it's what he moved to Munster for. Tyler will want to make amends from 2 years ago, and he's been in good form, but I'd be worried that he's only started a handful of games (2,3?) at 10 this season.

Reading back over this, I'm sounding awful negative, so I'll leave by saying Munster by 5. ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭kingofthekong

cant see Munster getting very close in this match, hope I'm wrong and its competitive

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭bennyl10

cant see Munster getting very close in this match, hope I'm wrong and its competitive

No one expects Munster to get close that’s the great thing about it.
    Coming in as complete underdogs.

There’s no denying Saracens are a top team, but they’re performances this year haven’t been all 100% top drawer, they can be got at, in particular by physical teams.

I can see it being a lot closer than most think

• Registered Users Posts: 11,789 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

bennyl10 wrote: »
    No one expects Munster to get close that’s the great thing about it.
    Coming in as complete underdogs.

There’s no denying Saracens are a top team, but they’re performances this year haven’t been all 100% top drawer, they can be got at, in particular by physical teams.

I can see it being a lot closer than most think

ROG on OTB compared it to England's smash and grab in Aviva. Trouble is few of those same players will be playing for Saracens! Said Munster would be happy to fly under the radar in terms of underdog and Billy V stuff as a distraction.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,844 ✭✭✭shootermacg

aloooof wrote: »
    Just on this, totally see where you're coming from but the backs will need a big game as well. I think Brad Barritt is out injured for Saracens?

Delighted to hear that, Sarries get off the line fast at 12/13 off set plays. He's a large part of that. If that's true, then, that's awesome!

Farrell will also make a huge difference. Is it enough, well I hope so :)

• Registered Users Posts: 780 ✭✭✭Kirk Van Houten

I think McCall said Barrett should be back from injury and available for selection.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

Benvenuti cited for the high shot on Archer. Some refs seem to be doing some mental gymnastics to not hand out reds for these high hits, Owens yellow for Ox Nche also stands out. World rugby probably need to hand out some reprimands if they want refs to take it as seriously as they appear to want it taken.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭mystic86

Sorry for asking this in the middle of the discussions regarding the semi final, but could someone with full membership/season ticket help me to understand what the heck this means:

"Transfer of Tickets to Another Game

You can now transfer tickets from the PRO14 games you cannot attend to the PRO14 games you can attend - excluding Leinster.

Tickets can be moved from any PRO14 game in your pack to any other PRO14 game in your pack (excludes Leinster). You cannot move to a game not already in your season pack.
    Tickets will be moved to the same category of ticket in your pack.
    Tickets will be moved to the closest available ticket to your current seat.
    If you have already transferred your ticket to someone else, we will not be able to transfer the ticket to another game.
    This process will need to be completed 48 hours prior to the fixture."

You can move your ticket to another Pro 14 game, but your season ticket already includes all of the Pro 14 games...?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,074 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

mystic86 wrote: »
    Sorry for asking this in the middle of the discussions regarding the semi final, but could someone with full membership/season ticket help me to understand what the heck this means:

"Transfer of Tickets to Another Game

You can now transfer tickets from the PRO14 games you cannot attend to the PRO14 games you can attend - excluding Leinster.

Tickets can be moved from any PRO14 game in your pack to any other PRO14 game in your pack (excludes Leinster). You cannot move to a game not already in your season pack.
    Tickets will be moved to the same category of ticket in your pack.
    Tickets will be moved to the closest available ticket to your current seat.
    If you have already transferred your ticket to someone else, we will not be able to transfer the ticket to another game.
    This process will need to be completed 48 hours prior to the fixture."

You can move your ticket to another Pro 14 game, but your season ticket already includes all of the Pro 14 games...?

If you can't attend a game, you can get an extra ticket to any other game (excluding Leinster) instead as long as you contact them at least 2 days before the game you can't attend.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭mystic86

If you can't attend a game, you can get an extra ticket to any other game (excluding Leinster) instead as long as you contact them at least 2 days before the game you can't attend.

Ah, the word extra makes a big difference to understanding all of that. Cheers. Is there a limit to how many times you can do that in a season?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,317 ✭✭✭✭phog

Bazzo wrote: »
    Benvenuti cited for the high shot on Archer. Some refs seem to be doing some mental gymnastics to not hand out reds for these high hits, Owens yellow for Ox Nche also stands out. World rugby probably need to hand out some reprimands if they want refs to take it as seriously as they appear to want it taken.

It was a straight red for me - I was watching the game in a pub on a dodgy stream but I saw enough to think a red card was going to be produced. I couldn't believe it when I read later that Whitehouse talked about medium force being a mitigating factor

• Registered Users Posts: 10,116 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

phog wrote: »
    It was a straight red for me - I was watching the game in a pub on a dodgy stream but I saw enough to think a red card was going to be produced. I couldn't believe it when I read later that Whitehouse talked about medium force being a mitigating factor

I've searched twitter, Facebook, the pro14 website and Google and nobody has an update on the hearing.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,074 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

mystic86 wrote: »
    Ah, the word extra makes a big difference to understanding all of that. Cheers. Is there a limit to how many times you can do that in a season?

I suppose the limit is how many games are left. I missed the first two games in TP the season before last (the one time there were two TP Pro14 games in a week I was away!) and was able to transfer both tickets to two other games.

If Munster win this weekend do they become straight favourites?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,597 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

If Munster win this weekend do they become straight favourites?

Hard one to call. Will obviously depend on the score, and manner of victory in both games. Could see a situation of them being favourites vs Toulouse but underdogs vs Leinster.

Another interesting one would be the 10 situation if Munster win. If Bleyendaal puts in a performance, would he retain the 10 spot for a final if Carbery got back to fitness? I would guess Carbery would be straight back in, but I'd feel for Bleyendaal given how he performed in the QF (and will have to play in the SF to have any chance of winning).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭Mr Tickle

aloooof wrote: »
    Hard one to call. Will obviously depend on the score, and manner of victory in both games. Could see a situation of them being favourites vs Toulouse but underdogs vs Leinster.

Another interesting one would be the 10 situation if Munster win. If Bleyendaal puts in a performance, would he retain the 10 spot for a final if Carbery got back to fitness? I would guess Carbery would be straight back in, but I'd feel for Bleyendaal given how he performed in the QF (and will have to play in the SF to have any chance of winning).

Well this is absolutely counting chickens but if it played out like that i'd stick with Bleyendaal. Carbery's been out for a long time. If he looks sharp in training then maybe put him on the bench and if we're chasing the game he might be able to pull it out of the fire.
    Plus it'd be less disrupting to a team on a hypothetical run of very good form.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,116 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

The standard 4 minus 2 for decorum. Probably fair

Had to laugh at the "medium range"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭Mr Tickle

Caranica wrote: »

In a roundabout way this is good for Munster. The italian game is first so if they Treviso get either a BP win or a win with a big points difference then Edinbough wouldn't be able to catch them. Then they would have less to play for against glasgow and Munster don't catch them.

personally i'd like to see Treviso qualify and get some reward for their good season so I think I'm hoping that both they and edinbourgh win 3-0.

That's three games this season where an opposition player received a YC for him later to receive an actual ban - all those YCs were issued after the ref and the TMO reviewed the incidents in real time and in slow motion.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,183 ✭✭✭UnknownSpecies

Was on the waiting list for Season Tickets and got the email today saying they're available to buy. But when I click Buy Tickets through my MRSC account, it keeps saying there's no tickets available. I did this within 5 minutes of receiving the email too. Anyone else having this trouble or know what's up?

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭E mac

Yep same problem here. Can't ring them either till Tuesday now.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,183 ✭✭✭UnknownSpecies

Open and working now. Got them no prob. I took the Cork option but it only let me pick seats in Thomond. Wonder how/if I'll pick my seats in Musgrave.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29 jdmurf

No assigned seating in musgrave... sit where you like, if you have stand tickets...

Advertisement