Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Munster Team Talk Thread - New season title pending....

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,899 ✭✭✭kooga

not helpful 10 days out from the biggest game of the season so far

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

phog wrote: »
    This is not good, we really need some stability in our coaches, another change can't be great.

Agreed, we've had a lot of turnover in our coaching staff over the last 2-3 years, it's has to be hard to keep continuity when that happens.

• Registered Users Posts: 614 ✭✭✭TheWonderLlama

Squatter wrote: »
    Perhaps they've both been headhunted by a bigger club, so better keep your eyes peeled for an announcement by Leicester or Zebre!

Or that London. Deccy might still have a few numbers in his phone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,707 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Flannery is a big loss if he's leaving the Irish system altogether.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

I did not expect the news on Flannery.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

kooga wrote: »
    not helpful 10 days out from the biggest game of the season so far

You wouldn't know. Flannery is a passionate and dedicated Munster man who goes way back with the province. I can see some guys like POM, Kilcoyne and co. being unbelievably driven to send him on his way with a trophy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,599 ✭✭✭ScrubsfanChris

Flannery leaving is a shock one alright.
    Hopefully its all change for the good for next season and Carbery can stay fit.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,529 ✭✭✭typhoony

what ball-park figure would they have been on, 100k - 150k a year?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

I'll miss TG4 capturing Fla-mic during the warm-ups. And the interviews on 20 mins.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,499 ✭✭✭Sabre0001

Who's going to restrain CJ on those resistance bands pre-game now?

🤪

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,800 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

Howley news not confirmed afaik so guess could be more certain now. Wonder who will replace Fla?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,590 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

Flannery will find a job elsewhere. Not sure about Jones.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,106 ✭✭✭✭ Gary Moldy Memory

I wonder if Flannery is being hoovered by by LI, I can't see why he's be leaving unless he's been offered another decent role.

Jones - I wonder if he's just been managed out. It's hard to see where he goes from here. Didn't he get an offer from Rassie to go to SA or something mad?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 534 ✭✭✭Erik Shun

Have to admit, I'm surprised by both departures.
    I thought Jones would stay under Howleys tutelage for a few seasons and then perhaps have a proper stab at the attack coach job, don't forget, he was 28 or 29 when he was appointed.. very young and lots to learn.
    Fla...very surprised...is JP Ferreira taking on a more wide ranging defensive position?... Does Fla just want to spread his wings elsewhere for a year or 2?
    Think we'll find out more after the semi final..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭él statutorio

I wonder if Flannery is being hoovered by by LI, I can't see why he's be leaving unless he's been offered another decent role.

Jones - I wonder if he's just been managed out. It's hard to see where he goes from here. Didn't he get an offer from Rassie to go to SA or something mad?

Yeah when Rassie left he wanted to bring Felix with him.

Wouldn't be surprised to see Felix head to SA this summer as a new face in the SA backroom.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,150 ✭✭✭✭LuckyGent88

phog wrote: »
    This is not good, we really need some stability in our coaches, another change can't be great.

My sentiments exactly. We really needed some stability and a full pre season with all the young players while the main players were away at the World Cup.

Shocked and disappointed Flannery is gone. Thought he has done a pretty good job with the pack and a number of players have improved under his guidance. Disappointing to lose one of our own too.

Not surprised Jones has left and we really needed a new direction for our attack. Hopefully get the right appointments now but with the World Cup coming up I don’t think there are many top class coaches available. Stephen Larkham for attack coach would be very nice or Holland of course. Neither will happen though

• Subscribers Posts: 41,714 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Wouldn't be surprised to see Felix head to SA this summer as a new face in the SA backroom.

Well that escalated quickly!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 226 ✭✭Jewelers

picking up jocks ?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,113 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

I'm hoping that the replacements are experienced coaches with no previous ties to Munster. There needs to be a break from the jobs for the boys days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭él statutorio

Jewelers wrote: »
    picking up jocks ?

Hardly, under Rassie he was a technical coach and was very good at it too. How much of that was Felix and Nienaber as a combo is hard to know. If he goes to SA I'd expect him to be a technical coach again.

The backs / attack coach was probably a move too soon for him, he's still only 31 remember, plenty of time to improve.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 226 ✭✭Jewelers

Hardly, under Rassie he was a technical coach and was very good at it too. How much of that was Felix and Nienaber as a combo is hard to know. If he goes to SA I'd expect him to be a technical coach again.

The backs / attack coach was probably a move too soon for him, he's still only 31 remember, plenty of time to improve.

yep but that doesn't mean hes going back room for sa

• Closed Accounts Posts: 534 ✭✭✭Erik Shun

ROG has been mentioned as taking on the backs role with La Rochelle... I wonder would he fancy moving a little further West

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,373 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Erik Shun wrote: »
    ROG has been mentioned as taking on the backs role with La Rochelle... I wonder would he fancy moving a little further West

I think in fairness to ROG he wants to get a lot of proper experience before he coaches in Ireland. I would think he has a long term plan to end up as Ireland coach via Munster but not too soon, I’d say he wants to make sure he doesn’t end up at Munster too early because if it didn’t work out then he would put himself out of the Irish running. I think he is being very shrewd with the jobs he is getting with good exposure to different set ups.

Erik Shun wrote: »
    Fla...very surprised...is JP Ferreira taking on a more wide ranging defensive position?... Does Fla just want to spread his wings elsewhere for a year or 2?
    Think we'll find out more after the semi final..

I would guess that it's more JVG taking an involvement with the forwards. Keep in mind that JVG was the forwards coach for the Springboks; he's not going to sit idly by and sit on his hands without looking to exert some degree of control. In fact, at this late stage (in terms of recruiting for next season), JVG might just take responsibility for the forwards entirely himself next season.

At the moment, Munster only have 2 coaches signed up for next season. Backs/attack coach is obviously in hand but that's still a huge workload for 3 guys (and if they go with Howley, he won't be there until post-RWC). It will be hard to find an additional coach of the required calibre at this point. I wonder if we'll see Niall O'Donovan get back on the training pitch temporarily? In another year, Simon Easterby may have been despatched to assist but that's obviously a non-runner with the RWC.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

ROG wouldn't come back as a coach, he wants the top job

POC is coming back after Stade job didnt work out, any chance he might rock up?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

It's Hayes. It just has to be Hayes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

It's Hayes. It just has to be Hayes.

Who would do the milking?

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    Who would do the milking?

Tadhg Beirne has shown himself to be excellent.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,800 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

I'm hoping that the replacements are experienced coaches with no previous ties to Munster. There needs to be a break from the jobs for the boys days.

Think thats a little bit unfair on the 2 lads. No reason down the line experienced coach who had ties with Munster couldn't take up some role

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,113 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

Eod100 wrote: »
    Think thats a little bit unfair on the 2 lads. No reason down the line experienced coach who had ties with Munster couldn't take up some role

If someone like ROG were to come in after another 2-3 years of coaching in France, then that's fine. It's bringing in an experienced coach.

Employing two ex players with no coaching experience into pivotal roles was a mistake and screams of jobs for the boys.

Advertisement