Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Munster Team Talk Thread - New season title pending....

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 41,714 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

You'd wonder if Nucifora is that bothered about the likes of Johnson though?

More likely guys are looking at the success of others who have moved and are being more pro-active about looking for moves themselves.

i would think situations like Johnson are the exact reason Nuicforas role exists.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 351 ✭✭randomrb

More likely guys are looking at the success of others who have moved and are being more pro-active about looking for moves themselves.

I think that the pathway has been opened by nucifora and he has started to build a culture of moving players.

This has meant players are moving off their own bat more, its becoming more obvious that you arent going to be picked for Ireland without regular game time, jack mcgrath is the best example, he could struggle to be on the bench for most of the world cup due to the fact that he didnt recover his starting place after injury

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,725 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Caranica wrote: »
    But Tyler and JJ cover two other positions as well so won't necessarily block 10 all the time?

B.J. wasn't blocked by anyone.

Tyler and JJ have not enjoyed great seasons by any means, and B.J. still failed to force his way past them.

His defensive game isn't really up to scratch either.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,681 ✭✭✭arsebiscuits1

Suprising to see Jones and Fla gone.

If I were in the Munster backroom I'd be having a serious look at getting Noel McNamara in.

He's the Leinster A and Ireland Under 20s coach so a senior role such as this would make perfect sense. I know he cut his teeth in Clongowes as a coach but he's native to Clare.

Extremely highly rated in Ireland he was even sent to New Zealand last summer for experience.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

sydthebeat wrote: »
    i would think situations like Johnson are the exact reason Nuicforas role exists.

Maybe, but I'd have thought situations like Carbery and Jordi Murphy were more his remit. We're talking about the fourth choice at Munster. Would he be involved at that level? I have no idea tbh.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,841 ✭✭✭Squatter

Maybe, but I'd have thought situations like Carbery and Jordi Murphy were more his remit. We're talking about the fourth choice at Munster. Would he be involved at that level? I have no idea tbh.

But we're also talking about potentially the second choice in Ulster. Presumably that would bring him into DN's bailiwick.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭Mr Tickle

Like you, i'm just guessing but I'd imagine he could be involved in a lot of the trading that goes on in the provinces. His office is probably one of the first calls the agents for the players would make. Similarly the provinces probably let him know any time they're in the market for a position.

if the two can match up then happy days for all concerned.

Edit: you also have to think that he needs to fill the working week. How many Carbery/Murphy/McGrath sized moves happen every year?

It's such a pivotal position.

I would say there is not too many Tightheads, Scrumhalves and Outhalves playing at a high level that Nucifora isn't aware of

• Registered Users Posts: 11,301 ✭✭✭✭jm08

If I were in the Munster backroom I'd be having a serious look at getting Noel McNamara in.

He's the Leinster A and Ireland Under 20s coach so a senior role such as this would make perfect sense. I know he cut his teeth in Clongowes as a coach but he's native to Clare.

Extremely highly rated in Ireland he was even sent to New Zealand last summer for experience.

Noel went to UL (PE) and cut his teeth in rugby coaching in Glenstal! He is definately a Munster supporter - I was in Clongowes one day a few years ago (work related) and introduced to him as a fellow Munster fan - he was wearing a Munster tracksuit!

jm08 wrote: »
    Noel went to UL (PE) and cut his teeth in rugby coaching in Glenstal! He is definately a Munster supporter - I was in Clongowes one day a few years ago (work related) and introduced to him as a fellow Munster fan - he was wearing a Munster tracksuit!

All the more reason to make him an offer!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

It's such a pivotal position.

I would say there is not too many Tightheads, Scrumhalves and Outhalves playing at a high level that Nucifora isn't aware of

I'm sure he's aware of it, would just doubt he's driving it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 184 ✭✭Donald Trumped

Looks like Rob Howley is a done deal re attack and skills coach.

For forwards coach, what about Shaun Edwards, even though the chance of that happening are slimmer than I winning the lotto tonight. Personally don't be surprised if Simon Easterby is in the reckoning or perhaps JP Ferreira taking that role in addition to his role in the defense.

Underwhelmed would be my first instinct of those likely appointments. The issue re getting a backs coach from New Zealand or Australia is that Munster Rugby are not in a good place financially at this time, even though they along with the support of the IRFU have addressed this issue, which will pay dividends in the long term. Still though I have huge concerns regarding the Munster coaching ticket for next season. That's unless they come up with some kind of major surprise up their sleeves.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,599 ✭✭✭ScrubsfanChris

For forwards coach, what about Shaun Edwards, even though the chance of that happening are slimmer than I winning the lotto tonight. Personally don't be surprised if Simon Easterby is in the reckoning or perhaps JP Ferreira taking that role in addition to his role in the defense..
    Source?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

jm08 wrote: »
    I'm not too sure what is to be learned in France that you won't learn in Ireland. For starters in France the larger your cheque book is, the better your team/coaching staff is - in Ireland the Provinces have to make do with what they have. ROG has enough experience now to take on backs coach of Munster. He was head hunted as backs coach for the Crusaders and is on his way to winning his second super rugby title as backs coach. Joe Schmidt doesn't even have one super rugby title on his cv as backs coach
    Plenty in different environment especially somewhere you wont have directly played in. I dont see ROG coming in as an assistant here. He is going about things to only really coming back as head coach or nothing.

I wouldnt go for a McNamara yet. Still incredibly inexperienced at higher level. Has done well in roles but very little coaching at adult level as its all been age grade national sides or just schools rugby

For forwards coach, what about Shaun Edwards, even though the chance of that happening are slimmer than I winning the lotto tonight. Personally don't be surprised if Simon Easterby is in the reckoning or perhaps JP Ferreira taking that role in addition to his role in the defense.

Underwhelmed would be my first instinct of those likely appointments. The issue re getting a backs coach from New Zealand or Australia is that Munster Rugby are not in a good place financially at this time, even though they along with the support of the IRFU have addressed this issue, which will pay dividends in the long term. Still though I have huge concerns regarding the Munster coaching ticket for next season. That's unless they come up with some kind of major surprise up their sleeves.
    Done deal?? where you seeing that. No chance of Easterby going for the role IMO. Not going to step back for this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 534 ✭✭✭Erik Shun

Source?

Twitter!
    :D

Erik Shun wrote: »
    Twitter!
    :D
    So none then? :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 184 ✭✭Donald Trumped

So none then? :pac:

No just reading some comments from different rugby forums, outside of boards.ie suggesting the Howley will get the backs and skills gig. I still hope that this won't be the case, but knowing how from poor finances to poor management on behalf of Munster rugby, the dream of mine and so many Munster fans for a man like Wayne Smith or even Stephen Larkham to take over the coaching of Munster backs in the not too distant future is sadly not going to happen.

No just reading some comments from different rugby forums, outside of boards.ie suggesting the Howley will get the backs and skills gig. I still hope that this won't be the case, but knowing how from poor finances to poor management on behalf of Munster rugby, the dream of mine and so many Munster fans for a man like Wayne Smith or even Stephen Larkham to take over the coaching of Munster backs in the not too distant future is sadly not going to happen.
    I agree with your points, but "different rugby forums" aren't accredited news sources.
    To say it's a done deal is completely jumping the gun.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,337 ✭✭✭✭phog

There's a rumour in Limerick that Eddie O'Sullivan is coming in to the set up and that Fla is giving up on coaching. No word on what Felix is up to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,868 ✭✭✭budhabob

phog wrote: »
    There's a rumour in Limerick that Eddie O'Sullivan is coming in to the set up and that Fla is giving up on coaching. No word on what Felix is up to.

EOS was a very capable coach, but alot of time has passed. This is not inspiring if true.

• Advertisement

budhabob wrote: »
    EOS was a very capable coach, but alot of time has passed. This is not inspiring if true.

Tbf, he has a brilliant rugby brain, his analytical criticism of Munsters attack has been spot on during games..he can see what they were doing and where the issues were occuring....so he might actually be an astute appointment in tandem with Howley

• Registered Users Posts: 11,800 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

When was last coaching role EOS had? Game has changed a fair bit in those years.

Eod100 wrote: »
    When was last coaching role EOS had? Game has changed a fair bit in those years.

Deccie hasn't done too badly after time out of the game.
    Eddie would be a good signing for us.... but it's all conjecture at the moment, and his quotes a few days ago about the timing of Jones departure..and the about Chris Farrell would make me think it's probably not on...don't think that bell can be unrung

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,707 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Biarritz in 2015 for a season, and then Belvedere for a year in 2017.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

He is on a huge amount of podcast and TV shows....so he is watching nearly every game of rugby in Ireland which the provinces are involved in and also AIL I bet as well.....

He has a huge rugby knowledge and he was a good coach with Ireland.

He might be a very wise investment for Munster

When Leinster brought in the NZ guys for a few weeks it was seen as astroke of genius because of his experience. Could be seen in the same context with Eddie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,200 ✭✭✭troyzer

Shefwedfan wrote: »

He is on a huge amount of podcast and TV shows....so he is watching nearly every game of rugby in Ireland which the provinces are involved in and also AIL I bet as well.....

When Leinster brought in the NZ guys for a few weeks it was seen as astroke of genius because of his experience. Could be seen in the same context with Eddie

Wayne Smith and EOS is hardly a fair comparison.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

troyzer wrote: »

Graham Henry you mean...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,200 ✭✭✭troyzer

troyzer wrote: »

Graham Henry you mean...

Him too.

It's early.....

• Registered Users Posts: 11,800 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

Don't disagree with his past experience and knowledge he's done a fair bit of pundit stuff in meantime but think it's fairly different from a direct coaching role the past few years at high level. Not saying it wouldn't work out but I thought we'd go more with someone still with current role currently.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,366 ✭✭✭yerrahbah

Advertisement